Is the "all new" Honda CR-V outdated ?

moogradod

I have evaluated a new car and I have choosen the Honda CR-V. Unfortunately my evaluation was based on the specs of the models sold in Switzerland
– since we still stay here - , only to find out that the current Thai (“all new”) CR-V is obviously the older model – not only far inferior in (especially interior)
design but as well in specifications, lacking for example adaptive cruise control and the sensing package and possibly many other features like a transparent 
roof etc.

I say possibly because this is what YouTube and some articles on the net suggest but it could not yet be proven definitely. The Honda Thailand website
does not show any specifications.

Therefore this vehicle cannot even compete with the Pick-Up based Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.

Anyway - for the design alone I am very much disappointed if you compare it to the newest version sold over were we live now. It seems that the current
Thai version is a no go for us since it seems really inferior.

Does anybody know anything about the model cycles of Honda in Thailand, because I would be very much pleased to see a successor (we will come to
Thailand around end of March 2018) which might be closer to what the standard here in Switzerland is even now. If the next version of the CR-V is not
possibly on the horizon we might need to buy the Mitsubishi - other alternatives are not known to me since I cannot afford a BMW, VOLVO 90-Series or AUDI.
Edited by moogradod
Readability

It looks the same to me as in Switzerland. No mention on the Swiss site of the cameras in the mirrors system you allude to. The "premium" Malay model has that so I don't see why the Thai version doesn't. Maybe the traffic here is too  chaotic for it to work?

In Thailand you wouldn't want a glass or moon roof. Too hot and sunny.

It will still be here when you get here!

Edited by VocalNeal

Unfortunately Thai don't get the highest spec CRV like in other countries. They still stick with old 2.4 gasoline and I don't understand why the 1.5 turbo is not here. Alternately you can consider the idtec but the TOP models still don't come with Honda Sensing package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honda Thailand offers the newest version of the CR-V. The first cars appeared about 2 weeks ago on the streets. The brochure with the specs is available on Hondas website. But it is in Thai, as usual in Thailand...

New cars are about half a year later on sale in Thailand than in other countries. As others mentioned, you don't get the same specs than in other countries. But fortunately the advanced safety features are now also available, but often only in the top model. You also don't have the «build to order» option as in Switzerland.The new CR-V is finally available with the Diesel engine. The Turbo Gasoline engine may be introduced later, as with the new Civic.

I personally prefer Mazda, but Honda has good products and it is often a matter of personal taste and your needs. The new Mazda CX-5 with its 2.2 l Turbo Diesel is more powerful than the CR-V and more fun to drive.The new CX5 will also come with all safety features. It will be introduced later this year. But the CX-5 has only 5 seats and its cargo capacity is smaller, too. Honda has often the more comfortable, more spacious, more practical models than Mazda, where Mazda is focused on styling and driving experience.

Other models in the market are the Nissan X-Trail, which is available as 7-seater and in a Hybrid version. The Chevrolet Captiva is also available with 7 seats, but this is really an outdated car. MG has also a 5-seater SUV.

If you really need a 7-seater, then also look at the Toyota Fortuner or the Ford Everest (my favourite), together with the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.

Edited by juehoe
Spell check.

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

It looks the same to me as in Switzerland. No mention on the Swiss site of the cameras in the mirrors system you allude to. The "premium" Malay model has that so I don't see why the Thai version doesn't. Maybe the traffic here is too  chaotic for it to work?

In Thailand you wouldn't want a glass or moon roof. Too hot and sunny.

It will still be here when you get here!

It is interesting, that the new Mazda CX-5 will have a «mood roof» again. My first Mazda 3 had such a roof, but I only used it at night or when it was raining. It is fancy in Bangkok for the views, but really not necessary in Thailand.

There are many things different in Thailand than in Switzerland when it comes to cars. It is not only the specification that may differ and latest technology not being available here but also the service is inferior. A friend of mine bought a Honda Civic in Hua Hin and he is not happy with the Honda service at all. They are not even able (or willing?) to solve a simple battery related problem. I have had similar experiences with Nissan, however was happy with the (technical) service provided by dealer garages in Bangkok where I used to live previously. Generally Bangkok is better, it's more advanced compared with the provinces where often no qualified staff is available.

1 hour ago, khunano said:

There are many things different in Thailand than in Switzerland when it comes to cars. It is not only the specification that may differ and latest technology not being available here but also the service is inferior. A friend of mine bought a Honda Civic in Hua Hin and he is not happy with the Honda service at all. They are not even able (or willing?) to solve a simple battery related problem. I have had similar experiences with Nissan, however was happy with the (technical) service provided by dealer garages in Bangkok where I used to live previously. Generally Bangkok is better, it's more advanced compared with the provinces where often no qualified staff is available.

Your friend was right....service and general vehicle repairs in the Hua Hin region are far inferior to BKK.....

In general, the specs on cars manufactured here and sold here are lower than those manufactured for sale overseas. Presumably that's to lower costs and/or increase profit margins here. And overseas buyers are more demanding.

For example, if you tried to sell a Nissan Almera with a 1.2 litre engine and CVT in Australia, the motor trade would just laugh at you.

CR V is far better than other family non off road SUVs.. CX5 is ok but lags in many ways.. it has the technology but Mazda is very loud and for long journeys it becomes unbearable... CR V has all the latest tech specs baring a few misses.. one can always count on CRV .. coming to off road SUVs I personally prefer Pajero sport to Fortuner and Everest .. the top spec Pajero has all the advanced and more features than the top spec other two competitors. The mid spec and low spec fortuner  and Everest respectively are more expensive than the top Pajero Sport .. its true that Everest leads the pack in serious off road stuff and it's just by a little margin.. thinking practically how many times we ever take these vehicles and test them to their real abilities they are built for.. Pajero is far quieter despite Everest having active noise cancellation.. it's only a few cm less wider, less taller and less lengthier.. so for normal sized people Pajero is the best of the lot .. 

Pajero is really not friendly driving too..more like a truck than a SUV.

Mazda cx5 is upgraded on last version, soon available in Thailand, and silence is an added value on this new version, still only 5 seats but the best driving experience on this range.

Car shopping in Thailand is fine, unless you compare to the specs available in other countries.  BMW, Honda, etc... all sell watered down versions of their models in Thailand for 2-3x more than in the USA for example.  Marketing of cars is not a universal concept and you will need to go to the car show to see all the possibilities available in Thailand.

8 hours ago, Zendo said:

This Honda CRV is available only with CVT transmission, this is a punishment for people who like to drive.. how can someone enjoy "driving" such a car,  all the FUN is gone ^^ !!!

Wait until all the cars are electric......that'll be fun. Absolutely no soul.

[...] A friend of mine bought a Honda Civic in Hua Hin and he is not happy with the Honda service at all. They are not even able (or willing?) to solve a simple battery related problem. I have had similar experiences with Nissan, however was happy with the (technical) service provided by dealer garages in Bangkok where I used to live previously. Generally Bangkok is better, it's more advanced compared with the provinces where often no qualified staff is available.

My friend is satisfied with Honda Hua Hin. But many people are not satisfied with most of the car dealers in Hua Hin.

Many buy there cars in Pranburi or in Petchaburi. We also use Mazda Petchaburi.

[...] CX5 is ok but lags in many ways.. it has the technology but Mazda is very loud and for long journeys it becomes unbearable... [...] 

It is true, that the Mazdas have louder road noise than other brands. I only drove Mazdas in Thailand and it was never an issue for me.

The new CX-5 should be quieter according the first reviews.

You should make anyway some test drives.

24 minutes ago, DavisH said:

No problem...just use this...imagine a v12 hooked up to a cvt box lol

Looks like a bunch of fun....not.

I have no idea what a cvt box is...like an Xbox...play station in your photo?

Or a constantly variable transmission maybe?

I know what a gearbox is.....does that help?

No matter what a fake sound hooked up to an electric motor is like it will never have the same feel, sound and smell as an internal combustion engine.

I've been in the power industry for 45  years and yes I do understand and work/overhaul turbine driven alternators and they do a very good job and beautifully engineered machines.

Give me a two storey V16 5000hp twin turbo screaming Mirrlees diesel at 500 rpm at full power any day for the real deal.

But that's just me....I like internal combustion engines....some people like external combustion engines.

Auto transmissions are bad enough, they took away a lot of the skill/decision making when driving. There will only be a foot on a pedal with electric cars....not even a brake pedal will be needed. Just like the dodgem cars in the old fairgrounds. Down to go...up to not go.

No doubt vehicle safety will be improved and lives saved.....but I will miss the 'old' days when personal responsibility was just that. You take control and accept responsibility for you actions.

Edited by tryasimight

CR V is far better than other family non off road SUVs.. CX5 is ok but lags in many ways.. it has the technology but Mazda is very loud and for long journeys it becomes unbearable... CR V has all the latest tech specs baring a few misses.. one can always count on CRV .. coming to off road SUVs I personally prefer Pajero sport to Fortuner and Everest .. the top spec Pajero has all the advanced and more features than the top spec other two competitors. The mid spec and low spec fortuner  and Everest respectively are more expensive than the top Pajero Sport .. its true that Everest leads the pack in serious off road stuff and it's just by a little margin.. thinking practically how many times we ever take these vehicles and test them to their real abilities they are built for.. Pajero is far quieter despite Everest having active noise cancellation.. it's only a few cm less wider, less taller and less lengthier.. so for normal sized people Pajero is the best of the lot .. 
Please let us know what tech the top Pajero Sport has that the top Fortuna and Everest don't have.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

11 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Looks like a bunch of fun....not.

I have no idea what a cvt box is...like an Xbox...play station in your photo?

Or a constantly variable transmission maybe?

I know what a gearbox is.....does that help?

No matter what a fake sound hooked up to an electric motor is like it will never have the same feel, sound and smell as an internal combustion engine.

I've been in the power industry for 45  years and yes I do understand and work/overhaul turbine driven alternators and they do a very good job and beautifully engineered machines.

Give me a two storey V16 5000hp twin turbo screaming Mirrlees diesel at 500 rpm at full power any day for the real deal.

But that's just me....I like internal combustion engines....some people like external combustion engines.

Auto transmissions are bad enough, they took away a lot of the skill/decision making when driving. There will only be a foot on a pedal with electric cars....not even a brake pedal will be needed. Just like the dodgem cars in the old fairgrounds. Down to go...up to not go.

No doubt vehicle safety will be improved and lives saved.....but I will miss the 'old' days when personal responsibility was just that. You take control and accept responsibility for you actions.

It's a joke...get it?

On 8/18/2017 at 0:45 AM, shady86 said:

Unfortunately Thai don't get the highest spec CRV like in other countries. They still stick with old 2.4 gasoline and I don't understand why the 1.5 turbo is not here. Alternately you can consider the idtec but the TOP models still don't come with Honda Sensing package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they were over priced 14  years ago and nothing has changed 

On 18.8.2017 at 2:23 AM, juehoe said:

Honda Thailand offers the newest version of the CR-V. The first cars appeared about 2 weeks ago on the streets. The brochure with the specs is available on Hondas website. But it is in Thai, as usual in Thailand........

But fortunately the advanced safety features are now also available, but often only in the top model.

I had a look at the specs on the Honda Thai website (you need patience for it to load) and the driver assist advanced security feaures are lacking. Besides the interior is inferior (design wise). Also no shift paddles at the steering wheel. I am not aware if the front seat memory function is available, but the lack of the above listed features alone does it.

Were Honda to offer all the features as in Switzerland, this vehicle would have the chance to take a substantial market share in Thailand I suppose. It is a complete mystery to me why they dont since it is obviously all developped.

For us it will now be a Misubishi Pajero Sport - this one has all it needs - and even more torque - exept the memory function for the front seat positions - which is a pity (my wife and me are physically quite different)

I had a look at the specs on the Honda Thai website (you need patience for it to load) and the driver assist advanced security feaures are lacking. Besides the interior is inferior (design wise). Also no shift paddles at the steering wheel. I am not aware if the front seat memory function is available, but the lack of the above listed features alone does it.

Were Honda to offer all the features as in Switzerland, this vehicle would have the chance to take a substantial market share in Thailand I suppose. It is a complete mystery to me why they dont since it is obviously all developped.

For us it will now be a Misubishi Pajero Sport - this one has all it needs - and even more torque - exept the memory function for the front seat positions - which is a pity (my wife and me are physically quite different)

The top models does have paddle shift but I guess thats not as important as Honda sensing feature. Malaysia's top model has turbo gasoline with Honda Sensing so I guess Honda Thailand will introduce this feature for the facelift.

Any idea when such a facelift could happen ? Maybe the sensing feature is really not introduced because of the chaotic traffic in LOS. Who likes to be auto braked every few seconds :smile: ... and look at the interior: Here is the link to the Swiss brochure - just compare yourself: Honda CR-V Brochure

It says "2015" in the name of the brochure link, but this is the latest - I had a look at the recent model in a garage here.

It would be at least 2 or 3 years unless the new Crv is not selling well and Honda decided to add Honda sensing to current top models. I'm still wondering why Honda decided not to bring the highest spec model to Thailand, maybe because they are confident these will sell like hot cakes. The 2.4 gasoline engine used is actually a non direct injection model unlike in USA, not worth considering unless you are ok with the diesel turbo.

Maybe the sensing feature is really not introduced because of the chaotic traffic in LOS. Who likes to be auto braked every few seconds

My Mazda CX-5 has a similar safety system and it works fine. I am very happy with the rear traffic cross alert and the blind spot monitoring.

The later is very useful at night because it alerts you of passing motorbikes without lights.

It says "2015" in the name of the brochure link, but this is the latest - I had a look at the recent model in a garage here.

I found the 2017 brochure on Honda Thailand's website. But the websites of Thai companies are often not very user-friendly.

15 hours ago, moogradod said:

Any idea when such a facelift could happen ? Maybe the sensing feature is really not introduced because of the chaotic traffic in LOS. Who likes to be auto braked every few seconds :smile: ... and look at the interior: Here is the link to the Swiss brochure - just compare yourself: Honda CR-V Brochure

sorry the link show the old model