Dozen U.S. sailors to be punished for June collision - U.S. Navy

webfact

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

It is nice there are people in this world, that have never served a day of their life in military service, that can tell the military how it is best to operate. Just think how valuable this advice would be if they had in-depth knowledge of the topic?

The investigations into these collisions will be thorough and lessons learned will be incorporated into TTP's (Training, Tactics, and Procedures), that are used by all US Naval vessels.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/22/politics/uss-mccain-7th-fleet-commander-dismissal/index.html

The plot thickens...

Edited by impulse

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Beyond the possibility of the 7th Fleet Commander being dismissed, I think the following (from the above article) and attributed to a USN official is quite notable.

The McCain suffered a steering failure as the warship was beginning its approach into the Strait of Malacca, before colliding with the tanker, a Navy official told CNN.

The official said it was unclear why the crew couldn't use the ship's backup steering systems to maintain control.

A bit like the car engine dying with associated loss of power steering when merging onto the M25 at 7 AM!

I was on the bridge of a vessel when propulsion (and thus steering) was lost simultaneous with a support vessel coming alongside for bunkers and resupply. In this instance, it was 7 AM and procedures in place already had the Captain on the bridge and the FO on deck. Since the main vessel was towing a significant spread behind it, the support vessel (whose primary task is to provide emergency tow when main vessel steering or propulsion is impaired) wasn't exactly well situated with lines secured and bunker lines just about to be hooked up. However, it did take about 13 anxious minutes for the support vessel to safely cast off, move ahead, secure the tow bridle and assume a full tow of the partially disabled main vessel. Backup power had been enabled on the main vessel within 3 minutes of the main outage but since sufficient, safe forward velocity had already been lost due to the drag of the towed gear, the 'hard tow' from the support vessel was required to ensure safe vessel speed was restored as quickly as possible. All a bit of an ass-pucker but lunch wasn't delayed.

Edited by NanLaew

On 8/23/2017 at 6:12 AM, Ahab said:

It is nice there are people in this world, that have never served a day of their life in military service, that can tell the military how it is best to operate. Just think how valuable this advice would be if they had in-depth knowledge of the topic?

The investigations into these collisions will be thorough and lessons learned will be incorporated into TTP's (Training, Tactics, and Procedures), that are used by all US Naval vessels.

Every endeavor in the world has its blind spots and its sacred cows.  Sometimes it takes fresh eyes that haven't gone through decades of indoctrination to see those blind spots.  It's that way in every field.

I'll leave you (and my participation in this thread) with one example.  If there were no input outside of career officers, they'd still be dressing up in bright red and blue formal wear and facing lines of riflemen off against each other at 50 meters.  Of course, the career military guys were aghast at the cowardice of seeking cover and dressing to match the surroundings... It took outsiders to change that particular lunacy.

If America needs a mercenary Admiral as a replacement for their Pacific Fleet - I'll take the job. I'll be 1000 times better than the guys currently running your military - and this is not even a joke. I want to be paid in bitcoin though, don't want your dollars. I can immediately start protecting American lives by teaching your Navy personnel how to sail properly.

And for the love of humanity the next time one of your Navy Cruisers or Destroyers goes on a mission into foreign waters, please take some time to actually teach them how to sail. It really is becoming harder and harder to BS the world like America is a force to be reckoned with, isn't it?

6 hours ago, Nilats said:

If America needs a mercenary Admiral as a replacement for their Pacific Fleet - I'll take the job. I'll be 1000 times better than the guys currently running your military - and this is not even a joke. I want to be paid in bitcoin though, don't want your dollars. I can immediately start protecting American lives by teaching your Navy personnel how to sail properly.

And for the love of humanity the next time one of your Navy Cruisers or Destroyers goes on a mission into foreign waters, please take some time to actually teach them how to sail. It really is becoming harder and harder to BS the world like America is a force to be reckoned with, isn't it?

"and this is not even a joke"

Yeah, actually it is.  And one heard all the time around here, and from the usual lame crowd.  Not really a belly-slapper though; keep the day job.   BTW, last I checked, the C7F job wasn't really open to America-haters, no matter how tiresomeless.   You might think about a job fixing broken records (you know, the same idea behind hiring hackers as IT security techs...).  If they provide OJT, maybe you could go to work right here.  They could certainly use it.

Edited by hawker9000

• 3 weeks later...

so... the whole management has been sacked, including the 7th fleet admiral who was just a few weeks away from retirement.

it seems the Navy's management is adept of roleplaying games, because they seem to sack everyone whose "luck" character attribute is not high enough. seems a bit arbitrary, usually I allow players a save roll, be it behind the GM's screen.

I have read a lot of documents about the incidents, the latest developments seem to be that the crews didn't have time to train and renew the ships' seamanship certification.

another thing that is mentioned very often in these documents is maintenance. they always say the ships didn't receive the planned maintenance, and this aspect is present in all of the Navy's statements, for example at the Congress.

I guess the Navy wouldn't like to advertize it, but could it be possible that some of the equipment wasn't working correctly?