terminal D

madmax2

I've run into this problem with arriving/departing customers. I think it is supposed to be domestic but it's often wrong so ignore it.

If you are checking in baggage and/or having boarding passes issued all the way to an international destination check in at International. If not check in at Domestic.

Bangkok Airways actually has a pop up on its website stating this.

OK thanks for the answers, we fly Phuket to bangkok (domestic) then Bangkok to Perth Australia  (International), i think we use the International terminal, last time we went on holiday there was only one terminal for both types of flights,so it was not a problem

From previous experience you go through immigration at phuket if travelling overseas, and Bangkok on the way back as that's the point of arrival in Thailand

On previous overseas trips our baggage was checked thru to our final destination at Phuket airport

Phuket/Bangkok/Perth/ bangkok/phuket our are flights

I believe it is international.. Pretty sure... As long as you only are in bangkok in transit. If you overstay in bangkok its Domestic...It is about your end destination .....

I am almost 100% sure as I have almost done this wrong a couple of times already.

It all depends on the connecting airline for international. I fly Thai Airways to BKK domestic and then go through immigration there when flying EVA, but for some reason if my connecting flight is China Airlines, then I have to do immigration in Phuket and get to wear a stupid sticker around on my shirt and can't leave the airport in BKK. I would call your Thai airline for clarification, I'm guessing Thai Airways from HKT to BKK?

THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL (RESERVATION) 
78 RANONG RD. AMPER MUENG 
PHUKET 83000 
THAILAND 
Phone: (66-076) 360-444,360-400 locally dial; 076-360-444 they close at 4:30 PM

THAI CONTACT CENTER (RESERVATION) 
6 LARN LUANG ROAD, BANGKOK 10100 
THAILAND 
24 hrs. Everyday 
Phone: (66-2) 356-1111 Telephone 6 6 2 3 5 6 1 1 1 1  Locally dial; 02-356-1111
Fax: (66-2) 356-2222 Fax 6 6 2 3 5 6 2 2 2 2
Email: [email protected].

The lady at thai airways said international but to check with the airport to make sure, but they did not answer the phone at the airport i rang 3 times, probably to early for them (0845) even though it should be a 24 hour service

We go in October so i will check closer to the departure date with the airport to make sure, but i think its the International terminal we will be leaving from as  some other people believe by their posts, legs are not the best and i do not want to be dropped of at the wrong terminal

We are flying Thai all the way there and back, they have always had the best service and planes on my trips to Perth Australia

spoiling ourselves by going business class this time, first time ever 

18 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

The lady at thai airways said international but to check with the airport to make sure, but they did not answer the phone at the airport i rang 3 times, probably to early for them (0845) even though it should be a 24 hour service

We go in October so i will check closer to the departure date with the airport to make sure, but i think its the International terminal we will be leaving from as  some other people believe by their posts, legs are not the best and i do not want to be dropped of at the wrong terminal

We are flying Thai all the way there and back, they have always had the best service and planes on my trips to Perth Australia

spoiling ourselves by going business class this time, first time ever 

It's a domestic flight, so I think I've been able to choose between going through immigration in HKT or BKK before. It would also depend on how long your layover is in BKK. I don't want to be locked inside the cleared immigration area for a long period, I'd rather be able to go outside and go to the cheaper 7-11 etc than back where they hold you captive and charge you over dollar US for a small bottle of water!

47 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

It's a domestic flight, so I think I've been able to choose between going through immigration in HKT or BKK before. It would also depend on how long your layover is in BKK. I don't want to be locked inside the cleared immigration area for a long period, I'd rather be able to go outside and go to the cheaper 7-11 etc than back where they hold you captive and charge you over dollar US for a small bottle of water!

When flying before with Thai Airways and Air Asia thailand previously we went through immigration in Phuket when travelling overseas via Bangkok, left our luggage at Phuket airport and picked it up at our final destinations ( australia and Cambodia), they may have changed the procedure but i hope not but you never know here, its been 4 years since our last overseas holiday

I think Thai have a special lounge area in Bangkok for business and first class passengers, if its anything like the business / first class seating on the 787 we will be flying on to Australia on we will not be uncomfortable or lack for anything,  its a 9 hour stop over between the flights on the way to Australia and a 1.25 hour stop over on the way back,no more cattle class for us, especially after the airasia flight to bangkok for my wifes visa, put me of cheap flights permanently, i know how a sardine feels when put in a can 

32 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I think Thai have a special lounge area in Bangkok for business and first class passengers, if its anything like the business / first class seating on the 787 we will be flying on to Australia on we will not be uncomfortable or lack for anything,  its a 9 hour stop over between the flights on the way to Australia and a 1.25 hour stop over on the way back,no more cattle class for us, especially after the airasia flight to bangkok for my wifes visa, put me of cheap flights permanently, i know how a sardine feels when put in a can 

Sure you can use the thai lounges as also the other star alliance lounges. I prefer SQ or EVA.

9h so you will also have time to use the thai spa and get your 30min free massage. You can book your time slots in advance with TG.

Choose wise your seats in the 787 because it 2-2-2 in business which will get you for business also the sardine feeling. Normaly it 1-2-1 in the 787 with QR, VN,.....

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

We are flying Thai all the way there and back, they have always had the best service and planes on my trips to Perth 

You have to check in at international terminal and do immigration here also on hkt.

58 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

When flying before with Thai Airways and Air Asia thailand previously we went through immigration in Phuket when travelling overseas via Bangkok, left our luggage at Phuket airport and picked it up at our final destinations ( australia and Cambodia), they may have changed the procedure but i hope not but you never know here, its been 4 years since our last overseas holiday

Nine hours stuck in an airport when you could probably go out and come back. You can check your bags through to your connecting flights with Star Alliance, so that's not a worry. Yes you do get use of the lounge area, but for 7 or 8 hours? I check my bags through to EVA with Thai Airways at HKT, except I can't check my dog through. I have to pick her up in BKK and check her into EVA with her paperwork and pay the extra baggage fee and sign a wavier. Plus let her out and feed her before I don't see her until we arrive in San Francisco.

15 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Nine hours stuck in an airport when you could probably go out and come back. You can check your bags through to your connecting flights with Star Alliance, so that's not a worry. Yes you do get use of the lounge area, but for 7 or 8 hours? I check my bags through to EVA with Thai Airways at HKT, except I can't check my dog through. I have to pick her up in BKK and check her into EVA with her paperwork and pay the extra baggage fee and sign a wavier. Plus let her out and feed her before I don't see her until we arrive in San Francisco.

Do not have that dog problem mate,  you cannot take dogs to Australia without meeting very strict quarantine conditions because in Australia there is no rabies  , if dogs do qualify to travel there they have to spend 3 months in Quarantine there before they are released even if fully inoculated against rabies. or it was the last time i checked

Our Thai dog is happy living in Thailand, so am i, and she is looked after by family members while we are away, she does try to lick us to death when we return though 

53 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Do not have that dog problem mate,  you cannot take dogs to Australia without meeting very strict quarantine conditions because in Australia there is no rabies  , if dogs do qualify to travel there they have to spend 3 months in Quarantine there before they are released even if fully inoculated against rabies. or it was the last time i checked

Our Thai dog is happy living in Thailand, so am i, and she is looked after by family members while we are away, she does try to lick us to death when we return though 

Yes, I know all about dog export and import for most countries after my experiences and I knew you weren't taking your dog as Australia, NZ and Hawaii are the three that require several months of quarantine. But my point was you can check your bags through to your international flight without having to go through immigration in Phuket.

15 hours ago, madmitch said:

I've run into this problem with arriving/departing customers. I think it is supposed to be domestic but it's often wrong so ignore it.

If you are checking in baggage and/or having boarding passes issued all the way to an international destination check in at International. If not check in at Domestic.

Bangkok Airways actually has a pop up on its website stating this.

There is also a problem with international passengers arriving via BKK.  Where do they collect their luggage and which terminal will they exit from?

5 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

There is also a problem with international passengers arriving via BKK.  Where do they collect their luggage and which terminal will they exit from?

Immigration in Bangkok, luggage and exit international.

13 hours ago, schlog said:

Sure you can use the thai lounges as also the other star alliance lounges. I prefer SQ or EVA.

9h so you will also have time to use the thai spa and get your 30min free massage. You can book your time slots in advance with TG.

Choose wise your seats in the 787 because it 2-2-2 in business which will get you for business also the sardine feeling. Normaly it 1-2-1 in the 787 with QR, VN,.....

I will bow to your superior knowledge mate, having never flown business class before

But comparing the seating in Thai business class to Air asia is a bit like

Comparing a Toyota vios to a mercedes benz or a no star hotel to a 5 star hotel or chalk to cheese

There are pictures on the internet of business class in a Thai airways business class cabin in a boeing 787 and a boeing 777-300, the planes we will be flying in,  they do not look like sardine cans to me

Most people on this forum have flown on air asia at some time and can make up their own mind by looking at the internet photo's 

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I will bow to your superior knowledge mate, having never flown business class before

But comparing the seating in Thai business class to Air asia is a bit like

Comparing a Toyota vios to a mercedes benz or a no star hotel to a 5 star hotel or chalk to cheese

There are pictures on the internet of business class in a Thai airways business class cabin in a boeing 787 and a boeing 777-300, the planes we will be flying in,  they do not look like sardine cans to me

Most people on this forum have flown on air asia at some time and can make up their own mind by looking at the internet photo's 

Yup you correct. Sure it is many levels above air asias eco.

But you will see the difference between 777 and 787.

Maybe you have good luck and you will get the newest 787 with 1-2-1 seats.

I like most the a350 of TG.

BTW seatguru and yt is good for choosing the best seats.

7 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

If you are talking about a final destination of Phuket, the luggage is transferred to your onward flight to phuket and you pick it up there

you check thru immigration in bangkok as that is your point of arrival in Thailand

Which terminal you exit from in Phuket is a good question, it would depend at what terminal the plane parked at i suppose, probably the domestic one, which LIk thinks is being called terminal D and i think he could be right, Bangkok to Phuket is a domestic flight and also your final destination

33 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

If you are talking about a final destination of Phuket, the luggage is transferred to your onward flight to phuket and you pick it up there

you check thru immigration in bangkok as that is your point of arrival in Thailand

Which terminal you exit from in Phuket is a good question, it would depend at what terminal the plane parked at i suppose, probably the domestic one, which LIk thinks is being called terminal D and i think he could be right, Bangkok to Phuket is a domestic flight and also your final destination

Question was correct and short answered by stevenl.

It doesn't matter where the plane parks it matters where is customs clearances and at hkt this is only at the international terminal.

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Question was correct and short answered by stevenl.

It doesn't matter where the plane parks it matters where is customs clearances and at hkt this is only at the international terminal.

I think you will find that if your arrival point in Thailand is bangkok, you clear customs and immigration in Bangkok not Phuket

It was for us the last time we travelled overseas, we arrived in Phuket at the domestic terminal and just walk straight out

13 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

Yes, I know all about dog export and import for most countries after my experiences and I knew you weren't taking your dog as Australia, NZ and Hawaii are the three that require several months of quarantine. But my point was you can check your bags through to your international flight without having to go through immigration in Phuket.

I know that mate about luggage check in, but thanks anyway

i prefer to do everything at Phuket and i do not want to leave the terminal in bangkok for anything

Water, food, showers if you want them are all available in the business lounge for free except for 3 hours between 2AM and 5AM 

13 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I think you will find that if your arrival point in Thailand is bangkok, you clear customs and immigration in Bangkok not Phuket

It was for us the last time we travelled overseas, we arrived in Phuket at the domestic terminal and just walk straight out

Immigration in Bangkok, Customs on Phuket since you cant clear customs without your luggage.

And since you clear customs on Phuket it is international terminal.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Immigration in Bangkok, Customs on Phuket since you cant clear customs without your luggage.

And since you clear customs on Phuket it is international terminal.

The last time we travelled there was no International terminal (2013) 

and we cleared customs and immigration at don meuang airport in bangkok not phuket and the picked up our luggage at the domestic/international terminal in Phuket and just walked out of the terminal with not type of check of us or luggage

When was the last time you travelled overseas??

25 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

and we cleared customs and immigration at don meuang airport in bangkok not phuket and the picked up our luggage at the domestic/international terminal in Phuket and just walked out of the terminal with not type of check of us or luggage

"we cleared customs and immigration at don meuang airport in bangkok not phuket and the picked up our luggage at the domestic/international terminal in Phuket "

No, simply impossible. You can not arrive international in Bangkok, clear immigration and customs there and then collect your checked through luggage in Phuket. Was never possible and will not be possible.

15 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

On hkt there was always a international and a domestic exit.

Since last year now international and domestic terminal.

In 2013 you did all at don mueang. So you where then after immigration and customs a domestic guest on your flight to hkt like a domestic guest on a bus to phuket so no immigration ans customs at hkt for you. You also had to check in again what a international guest with interlining do not have.

We talked before the whole time about international arrivals at hkt with connection in bkk.

23 minutes ago, schlog said:

On hkt there was always a international and a domestic exit.

Since last year now international and domestic terminal.

In 2013 you did all at don mueang. So you where then after immigration and customs a domestic guest on your flight to hkt like a domestic guest on a bus to phuket so no immigration ans customs at hkt for you. You also had to check in again what a international guest with interlining do not have.

We talked before the whole time about international arrivals at hkt with connection in bkk.

Correct, except we never had to check in  with interlining, what ever that is

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"we cleared customs and immigration at don meuang airport in bangkok not phuket and the picked up our luggage at the domestic/international terminal in Phuket "

No, simply impossible. You can not arrive international in Bangkok, clear immigration and customs there and then collect your checked through luggage in Phuket. Was never possible and will not be possible.

Ok to make you happy and shut up, we cleared immigration at bangkok

In my 12 years in Thailand i have never had a baggage check or been stopped by  customs ever and have always picked up our luggage at Phuket airport, just pick up our luggage and walk out the door

Actually in all my travels the only time customs checked our luggage was once at Perth airport out of about 12 arrivals there

When was the last time you travelled overseas by air and had your baggage checked and you were stopped by customs in Thailand????

9 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Ok to make you happy and shut up, we cleared immigration at bangkok

In my 12 years in Thailand i have never had a baggage check or been stopped by  customs ever and have always picked up our luggage at Phuket airport, just pick up our luggage and walk out the door

Actually in all my travels the only time customs checked our luggage was once at Perth airport out of about 12 arrivals there

When was the last time you travelled overseas by air and had your baggage checked and you were stopped by customs in Thailand????

Ok, so you did clear customs at Phuket. Check or not does not matter.

Your question has nothing to do with Kopitiam's question that Schlog and I just answered and really none of your business, but I will tell you it was more recent than 2013.

Archived