No exit stamp in passport, kept departure card when leaving Thailand.

I think that so long as the OP can prove that he did leave Thailand on the date of his flight and that he can demonstrate that he arrived in to BKK airport on a domestic flight and made an international transit within the airport, then he should be OK, he must be polite and patient at all times, apologising profusely that he was not aware of the need to get the exit stamp, especially considering the transit through the airport.

It is clearly a breakdown of security that this could happen in the first place, I do understand that the OP has some culpability, however, to cut some slack, he did say it was his first visit to Thailand and given the fact that he was allowed to make the transfer domestic / international without further checks is amazing really.

Best for the OP to not push the issue of the why it was allowed though, that could cause a loss of face that would backfire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:
As previously stated last time i went back to UK scan gates were open and not an immigration man in sight.

From Bangkok? I've seen that a few times if coming from another EU country

several years ago we were flying from Atlanta to Barcelona via transit in Heathrow. there wasn't enough time to go to the lounge and i wanted to smoke a cigarette after suffering for 8 hours. walked around, went through a glass door and stood suddenly on a boardwalk of the United Kingdom England, Scotland and Wales. enjoyed my cigarette and went back without any problems. go figure!

There but for the grace of God go I.  A few people on this thread need to show a bit more sympathy.

I am afraid I can't provide a magic solution, but can anyone supply this guy with an Immigration e-mail address.  It probably won't completely solve the problem, but  he could start the ball rolling and save some time when comes back.

Good luck OP.

1 hour ago, CRUNCHER said:

There but for the grace of God go I.  A few people on this thread need to show a bit more sympathy.

I am afraid I can't provide a magic solution, but can anyone supply this guy with an Immigration e-mail address.  It probably won't completely solve the problem, but  he could start the ball rolling and save some time when comes back.

Good luck OP.

It's a horrible situation for the guy, I think we all sympathize but people are also right to issue certain warnings but the thread is continually derailed with too much emphasis on proof he left Thailand which is not the real issue.

The real issue is that he left the country illegally in the eyes of the law an offence according to some non-validated website that carries a sentence of up to 3 years. 

I would engage with a lawyer in Thailand to personally to speak with immigration.... You never know there could have been a spate of the same thing that day, it might be a well known problem cleared up with a smile.

But on the other hand the OP has not indicated how frequently he has entered and left Thailand in the past, If he has 20 other stamps in his passport the "Didnt realise" won;t hold up to much scrutiny.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Answered 3 post before yours.

With all due respect, he stated his country of residence i.e Germany, not what is his nationality / passport.
I live in China, but that does not make me a Chinese citizen.

I'm not sure if everyone has been reading carefully, but he entered Thailand for the first time with a visa-on-arrival.

Why would a German citizen traveling to Thailand for the first time go through the trouble of getting a VOA instead of a visa exempt entry?

The OP's nationality is obviously from one of the countries that are offered visa-on-arrival.

It is useful information to know what is the OP's nationality, that will help determine the level of bias he will be dealing with from immigration.

Edited by varun

2 minutes ago, varun said:

With all due respect, he stated his country of residence i.e Germany, not what is his nationality / passport.

I'm not sure if everyone has been reading carefully, but he entered Thailand for the first time with a visa-on-arrival.

He also stated Germany in an earlier post.

Many people incorrectly call a visa exempt entry a visa on arrival. Not hard to tell the difference if you pay attention to how many days they got on entry. A visa on arrival only allows a 15 day entry verses 30 days for a visa exempt entry.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Many people incorrectly call a visa exempt entry a visa on arrival. Not hard to tell the difference if you pay attention to how many days they got on entry. A visa on arrival only allows a 15 day entry verses 30 days for a visa exempt entry.

This is possible. A photo of the arrival stamp should remove all doubt,

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct, 30 days exemption, not visa on arrival.

That this scenario is possible is ultimately the fault of the AOT so ask them to solve the problem.

You could consider making a complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand. The CAAT has been completely revamped since Thailand was red-flagged by ICAO and is now staffed by some pretty switched on people trying very hard to get Thailand's aviation industry back on track.

I reckon you would get a response.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/contact-us

https://www.facebook.com/pg/caat.thailand/reviews/

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

That this scenario is possible is ultimately the fault of the AOT so ask them to solve the problem.

You could consider making a complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand. The CAAT has been completely revamped since Thailand was red-flagged by ICAO and is now staffed by some pretty switched on people trying very hard to get Thailand's aviation industry back on track.

I reckon you would get a response.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/contact-us

https://www.facebook.com/pg/caat.thailand/reviews/

They might have made a couple of mistakes at the airport but ultimately it is his own fault.

You shouldn't get on a plane without having being stamped out by immigration.

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

They might have made a couple of mistakes at the airport but ultimately it is his own fault.

You shouldn't get on a plane without having being stamped out by immigration.

This was his first visit to Thailand it is entirely possible that in the circumstances that prevailed he could have assumed, or just not thought, that outward immigration was necessary. As stated in this topic several times, a lot of countries do not require immigration clearance upon departure.

I do agree that given the fact there is a departure card, then the inference is that you would pass through immigration upon departure and that there are several ways of seeing this information online, through sites like TV, however, mistakes can be made on both sides.

If I were the Thai authorities, then I'd be far more concerned about how the securities procedures at the airport allowed him to transfer without any immigration, than trying to prosecute him for illegal departure, this was quite a serious breach of the security.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mattd said:

This was his first visit to Thailand it is entirely possible that in the circumstances that prevailed he could have assumed, or just not thought, that outward immigration was necessary. As stated in this topic several times, a lot of countries do not require immigration clearance upon departure.

I do agree that given the fact there is a departure card, then the inference is that you would pass through immigration upon departure and that there are several ways of seeing this information online, through sites like TV, however, mistakes can be made on both sides.

If I were the Thai authorities, then I'd be far more concerned about how the securities procedures at the airport allowed him to transfer without any immigration, than trying to prosecute him for illegal departure, this was quite a serious breach of the security.

That's exactly right and if the op can show some correspondence with AOT or CAAT acknowledging that this did happen it will be difficult for Immigration to do anything stupid.

You can guarantee that some official will be very embarrassed by this and will want to resolve the situation as discretely as possible. 

On 8/21/2017 at 1:33 PM, juice777 said:

I also wonder if the power to let him enter Thailand is simply out of the hands of any Thai IO. And the world be forced to process him through the system. Don't seem worth the hassle for a holiday. I am sure that's not what the OP wants to here, but if some of the great minds on here haven't got a Answer for him it not worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Actually I thought that your suggestion for him to contact the immigration authorities in his home country was a good one.

Although his passport may not have been physically stamped upon his return to Germany, it is possible that the re-entry date has been recorded electronically in his passport as a result of the German immigration officer swiping the photopage through a scanner, in accordance with the common practice followed these days across this great planet of ours.

If his date of return to Germany has, indeed, been recorded electronically in his passport, the question then arises as to whether a Thai immigration officer will be able to view it upon swiping the photopage through a scanner at BKK.

Hopefully the German immigration powers-that-be would prove willing to clarify these 2 points for the OP..

Actually I thought that your suggestion for him to contact the immigration authorities in his home country was a good one.

Although his passport may not have been physically stamped upon his return to Germany, it is possible that the re-entry date has been recorded electronically in his passport as a result of the German immigration officer swiping the photopage through a scanner, in accordance with the common practice followed these days across this great planet of ours.

If his date of return to Germany has, indeed, been recorded electronically in his passport, the question then arises as to whether a Thai immigration officer will be able to view it upon swiping the photopage through a scanner at BKK.

Hopefully the German immigration powers-that-be would prove willing to clarify these 2 points for the OP..
That's a good point if you are suggesting that all the information Is linked between countries. You think it would be in this day and age but you never know. I am sure anyone who has read 1984 is hoping it isn't.

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

I don't know if it's recorded in the passport (maybe it is), but you can bet the German Govt logged when that passport was scanned and he entered to the second.  Getting a record of that must be possible for one's own record - hopefully it isn't too difficult to obtain.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:10 AM, thexit said:

Yes, it will prove I left Thailand at some point but it doesn't prove I left it in time. I could have left the country yesterday and they wouldn't know. That's what I have a bad feeling about, they might think (and the immigration facts kinda suggest it) I stayed in Thailand longer than I should have been allowed to.

Do you think that will not be an issue?

Yes, you are right feeling strange about this, and you will be effected when you return to Thailand. As Joe says, you need proof of some kind to show the day you left so they can stamp you out first. 

As difficult as it is to believe, as I travel domestic to international in Thailand a lot, and always have to pass through Immigration first, things like this does happen. It happened to me once in Poland when I arrived at there New Airport, but no Immigration Staff was there to stamp me in. I was actually very surprised to suddenly find myself outside, and no way to get back in again from thse one way doors. Lucky for me also as I had only carry-on luggage, as there was no baggage claim there either.  

Obviously this was somebodies fault other than mine, like perhaps the bus driver dropping us off to the wrong place. But when I left a month later there was a big fuss made about this. This included calling over the Supervisor, with many questioned directed at me.

I told them the truth, which they found very difficult to believe, but because I had many entry stamps in my passport, was a resident, which means I didn't need to sneak in and could easily do that legally, and also my boarding card, on the day I arrived, I was was let go. They simply stamped my passport for in on that day I arrived, then out again on that day I left, and also asked me not to say anything to anyone about this mistake.  

• 2 weeks later...
Got my flight certificate which proves I left Thailand (in time) to Dubai and then took another flight back home to Germany. Also called the head office of immigration in Bangkok and they told me I should not have any trouble, I'll simply have to show the flight certificate, that's it.

I  can report back how it went if anyone is interested.
Yes update please

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 0:44 AM, GOLDBUGGY said:

They simply stamped my passport for in on that day I arrived, then out again on that day I left, and also asked me not to say anything to anyone about this mistake.  

Well done for keeping it a secret and not telling anyone.....................

• 4 weeks later...

Everything went fairly smoothly, the immigration officer told me to follow her collegue (without telling me why) to a bench close to the ASEAN immigration desks. This second officer then called for a third officer who spoke English fairly fluently.

After explaining how I could leave Thailand and enter it again without having an exit stamp and showing my flight certificate I got the exit stamp. No big deal after all, she told me to be more careful next time after I apologized for a few times, that's it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thexit said:

Everything went fairly smoothly, the immigration officer told me to follow her collegue (without telling me why) to a bench close to the ASEAN immigration desks. This second officer then called for a third officer who spoke English fairly fluently.

After explaining how I could leave Thailand and enter it again without having an exit stamp and showing my flight certificate I got the exit stamp. No big deal after all, she told me to be more careful next time after I apologized for a few times, that's it.

Glad that it all worked out OK for you.

• Like 1