So whats the most expensive thing you have ever bought or are going to buy

9 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

We all buy our wives in one way or another, starting with the first date all the way thru the divorce, or death whichever comes first.............as soon as men realize this the easier it is to enjoy marraige.

"Yes Ma'am Yes Ma'am Three Bags Full, and if I don't happen to have enough wool for those bags, I'll sell some stock."

Not necessarily the truth my good man. While it is past tradition for men to pay for "dates," sharing the expenses has become a more modern norm. How many Western marriages involve both spouses working? Just because one makes more money than the other does not make it buying the other.

Now, if your wife does nothing but spread her legs and uses you only as an ATM and long-term customer--as too many tales of woe lament hereon--maybe you are correct, you have bought her.

I have not and would not buy a wife; if you have, sorry.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Not necessarily the truth my good man. While it is past tradition for men to pay for "dates," sharing the expenses has become a more modern norm. How many Western marriages involve both spouses working? Just because one makes more money than the other does not make it buying the other.

Now, if your wife does nothing but spread her legs and uses you only as an ATM and long-term customer--as too many tales of woe lament hereon--maybe you are correct, you have bought her.

I have not and would not buy a wife; if you have, sorry.

It's all a matter schematics,  we all pay one way or another, no, of course I have never bought a wife. I was just making an analogy,  BTW I haven't been 'married' since 1986, but have been in  long term relationships.  But previous to that, both my divorces cost me less than what a good meal would in a high end Manhatten Restaurant.........maybe it's because I treated them like queens while married??  No alimony, I kept the house and the car, not many can claim that one.    

35 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

It's all a matter schematics,  we all pay one way or another, no, of course I have never bought a wife. I was just making an analogy,  BTW I haven't been 'married' since 1986, but have been in  long term relationships.  But previous to that, both my divorces cost me less than what a good meal would in a high end Manhatten Restaurant.........maybe it's because I treated them like queens while married??  No alimony, I kept the house and the car, not many can claim that one.    

I can..........................................................Twice.

What a result :smile:

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Sounds like you did alright. I too had a couple of divorces--one where we had nothing, so no cost to me; and the other when the wife was wealthier than I, so I actually made money on the 50-50 split. However, treating wives like queens is indeed needed; if they treat you like a king. When you treat each other well, even a divorce can be had amicably.

7 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Respect - - not an intentional purchase but when you have some bank, you seem to get respect... I have good quality on the basics, home, computer, vehicle - - after that, just don't need much... and have a frugal wife. 

yours was THE response of this thread :smile:

thank you for being completely forthright and honest, without bragging...

i think the OP was possibly wishing to play one upsmanship/jealousy/bragging/etc???

In my former life I bought an expensive crystal-ball from an old Romanian Gypsie-Woman, supposed to predict the future price-swings of Chopped-Liver with 100% accuracy. It diden't work!

In this life I bought an expensive computer-program from a young computer nerd, supposed to predict the future price-swings of Stock-Markets with 100% accuracy. It diden't work!

Recently, I was tempted to buy an expensive little booklet from an old Thai-Lady (a Mama-San), supposed to give infallible clues as to: "How to spot/separate Thai Gold-Diggers versus fine Thai-Housemakers". 100% accuracy assured.

Now I am torn, I don't know what to do. I think I will grab a case of Beer-Chang and head on over to the Monks, asking for advice. I was told, that their advice is always 100% accurate. Must be, because ALL the lottery-winners in Thailand have been visiting the Monks before

On a more serious note: There were times when I asked myself, what would I be doing (buying) if I had Millions or Billions.
I always came to the same conclusion: I would be buying frivolous things that I don't need nor really want.
I always found, that the amount of money I need to lead a life in relative comfort will suffice.

But then, I have not yet joined the most numerous and powerful religious congregation called "The Accumulators".
Accumulating money for the sake of accumulation.
Cheers. 

11 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

IMG_2866.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wow the most extravagant item you have ever had

You have done well sir

A nice thread for a change without bitterness or jealousy about

I started with no money, worked my way up, was lucky got fired from the mainstream corporate way, went into business with mad Italians, shouting screaming pizza flying across the office, sold it and made quite a lot of money, had other businesses and by 49 only had cash and houses

I retired bit by mistake, and cruised the world for ten yrs plus, serious insanity and some financial recklessness as well but oh such fun, ( and of course worry as well)

I have friends today who will never spend all their accumulated wealth, and I am so lucky not to have those problems

Today I am not wealthy, but can look back at the days when I was

I hope I can leave sufficient for a caring young wife to be ok, my big imponderable today is medical costs, I have two cancers, and self insure

I have never been happier, I could also write in a different way and make it all sound doom and gloom

Life I believe is what we make of it, not what we have, but then as my father said and practiced you are better to be miserable in comfort, actually very sad

The man I admire the most is the smiling happy man with little, and here in Issan there are many of them

On 8/21/2017 at 10:52 PM, swissie said:

In my former life I bought an expensive crystal-ball from an old Romanian Gypsie-Woman, supposed to predict the future price-swings of Chopped-Liver with 100% accuracy. It diden't work!

I too was gullible, and still am today to a pretty young lady, and long may that continue

I bought a very beautiful crystal ball in Berwick Street market London about eight ins in diameter, with a black velvet cloth about 60 cms square

At the time I was working for the European subsidiary of a very large American pharmaceutical company

Well I was in NewYork to approve the next five years financial plans, the meeting had got pretty hot and unruly, I had said little, and then i spoke in my refined english accent

I said we are all arguing about what is going to happen in years 4 and five, how do we really know

Can anyone with certainty put their hand on their heart and tell me they do

Hush Hush no comment

I then said I have the undoubted answer in my brief case I am just not sure how to operate it

Silence

I took from my briefcase on the floor my crystal ball under its cover, put it on the table and  ripped off the cover and                Exclaimed all is revealed

Well I nearly got fired but I had the highest profit margins of all regions at that time, and was saved only for that reason so I believe

American and British humor is different

I never realized until thinking about this thread that I have never bought anything expensive and am unlikely to in the future. There is nothing expensive that I really want or need, although I would spend a lot of money traveling to Europe and elsewhere if I came into a lot of money somehow. :smile:

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I never realized until thinking about this thread that I have never bought anything expensive and am unlikely to in the future. There is nothing expensive that I really want or need, although I would spend a lot of money traveling to Europe and elsewhere if I came into a lot of money somehow. :smile:

Great answer!

I agree with almost everything.... except that I was / I am a backpacker..... (at age 66).

When we travel (now with wife, Thai) we prefer to spend our money slowly, f ex every year 2 months in Madeira in a rented appartment and cooking our own food.

4 or 5 star hotels are soooooo overrated.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:01 PM, agudbuk said:

Wives don't come cheap

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

I was going to say that and agree with you totally.

But then he did say something that was well worth the money so I couldn't include my 2 x-wives then. 

4 hours ago, MahasarakhamMitch said:

Ignoring the house and car, it has to be my Rolex .....a birthday present to me from me

And very nice to may you enjoy it

We make money well some of us do and we must not forget ourselves

I have an Australian friend in the mega rich category, and he can not understand why someone bought themselves a Rolex

Still travels on the cheapest flights

So sad to have a lot of money and neither give it away or enjoy it

Remember if we do not spend our money our kids will for certain once they get their hands on it

Archived