Looking For Recipe For Northern Fried Soured Pork Ribs

Chung noi

Howdy all,

Had a great time in the North, mostly in Mae Hong Song and Pai. However, I'm back in the States now and I'm missing a Thai dish I had up there. Yes It's the northern style soured pork ribs fried with magoot leaves. Anyone have any idea how to make this dish? I have been running a search on the web for two days trying to find a recipe for this for this type of rib.

Thanks for any replys, and many thanks for the recipes that have been posted in the past. The curry recipes are great. Anyhow take care all.

Chung

soured pork ribs

= naem /nham - - fermented pork rib stuff?

i think u have to buy the "fermented pork rib " before

or u can make it yourself

do you mean what i think?

Naem pork rib

chopped pork rib 1 kg (1.5-2 ")

10 cloves of garlics (minced later)

2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup of cooked rice

mix all and keep it in a ziplock bag or container for 3 days at room temperature (in cold farang land you'll need longer)

then deep fry it with sliced kaffir lime leaves

Edited by meadish_sweetball

"Naem pork rib

chopped pork rib 1 kg (1.5-2 ")

10 cloves of garlics (minced later)

2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup of cooked rice

mix all and keep it in a ziplock bag or container for 3 days at room temperature (in cold farang land you'll need longer)

then deep fry it with sliced kaffir lime leaves"

As usual, Bambina's got it right. You actually leave it out/ in a bag for a few days. The idea is that the fermenting rice flavors and preserves the pork and so you will not get food poisoning from it.

You could try looking up recipes for specifcially what you ask about, though of course Thai -> English spelling is going to vary. Since you ate ribs, you'd be looking for something along the lines of "Si-Krong Naem Hmuu' or "Si-Krong Naem Hmuu Tawt" which could be translated as garlic preserved pork ribs, pickled pork ribs, or fried garlic pickled pork ribs. The idea is that naem is hard to translate as it is a fermentation done with old rice and garlic - something Farang don't do and so don't have a word for.

Sadly, a few places now take a shortcut and just use vinegar to sour the ribs and this doesn't make the same flavor at all. Not nearly as good as the traditional way. Nothing beats these as a treat while having a nice cold beer. But beware the lasting funky pickled garlic breath ! But that puts you in the same leagues as many a Thai folk as well, so no harm done, really.

Last note - I say you pal up with your local Thai restaurant and explain how you love the real Thai food and ask them to make you some or even to teach you some day hen they aren't busy - like a weekday. Nothing beats being in with the local Thai restaurant when you're stuck back in the USA.

Chok Dii !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys :D ,

Thanks all, The ribs are great! I've been cooking for Thai people for years, and never in my life has a Thai ever ask me how to cook Thai food, until now. Everyone seems to like the tangy favor and the fried ma goot leaves. Most of our friends are from the South or Isaan. The Isaan girls really make a big deal about it and have ask me to make them ever since I fixed them the first time. I find they go great with beer. :o

Thanks

Chung *j*