Kind Gestures From Thai People

Jet Gorgon

There are so many...

First trip here and lost my money bag on Surat Thani-Samui ferry. Told a travel agent on board who said "oh, upstairs". I searched and searched amidst the backpackers. I found the agent again and said I couldn't find it. He laughed as I was ready to cry. He took me to the captain's cabin, where several staff were gabbing. My bag sat intact on the dash.

The wonderful Big Buddha resort (now Nara Garden) owner waiting at the Samui pier when horrid monsoons caused one Surat-Samui ferry to sink in November 1995. Our ferry just made it, several hours late. He approached us like a tout, but was so honest. Drove us to his resort, gave us a room at discount, opened the restaurant to feed us, and drove us to the Haadrin ferry pier the next day.

Lost my keys down a roadside drain. A kid fished them out with a coathangar and then took off. I was distraught. He came back five minutes later with the keys. He took them away to wash them.

Neighbours taking care when I had dengue and for sure I was gonna die, methought.

Grocer who wrote chits when I had no cash because a power outage zapped the ATMs.

Please add your experiences. :o

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coming from the airport to town, the airport bus broke down. in my haste i left my shoulder pack on the bus when i jumped into the taxi.

got all the way into town before i realised what id done. :D had alot of valuable gear in there and not locked as im always carrying it. spare cash, etc.

somehow we found our way back to the bus, and there was the bus driver smiling at me holding my bag. :D

priceless, and i was well impressed.

funny thing about it, thats exactly what i thought would happen and my faith in the bus driver was rewarded.

i give him a few hundred baht and he looked like id bought him the world. :D

i love the thai people. :o

many more positive experiences than bad ones.

went to the minolta dealer to get a manual for my camera. ( lost mine :D )

the manager did not have one to sell but said , i get my girl to make copy for you, just sit down please sir. :D

anyway 10 minutes later the lady comes out with 25 photo copyied pages of the manual.

the manager says that will be 20 baht please sir. :o

you got to be joking dont you, as all that for 20 baht.

i then ask him how much for a replacement battery and memory card.

he says to me, oh too expensive here sir as we only have original, and then sends me off to sunny camera's at M.B.K. :D

incredible i thought.

a few weeks ago im scratching around for a phone as i needed to phone a friend A.S.A.P.

front up to the enquires counter at pantip plaza and ask the lady if i could use her private mobile phone.

she rings the number and hands me the phone. :D

i offer to pay her for the phone call, she smiles at me and says may pen rai. :D

there have been many cases of generousity to me in thailand that i could go on for ever but thats it for me.

cheers :o

Left over 10,000 THB on the bed, went out for breakfast, returned and the maid had made up the bed and put the money back exactly where I left it (nice tip for her).

Lady who runs the food stall I eat at alot when in Chiang Mai always giving me extra food (without extra charge) because "You big man...eat alot"

It's not big....nor is it something that everyone will agree to, but I can't recall EVER seeing Thai's eating and not offering to share their food with you. (not in commercial eateries, of course)

It doesn't matter what they are eating, what time of day it is or the amount of food they have available, they will offer to share it with you.

Anyone else?....or is it just because I'm fat and always look hungry? :o

Left over 10,000 THB on the bed, went out for breakfast, returned and the maid had made up the bed and put the money back exactly where I left it (nice tip for her).

Lady who runs the food stall I eat at alot when in Chiang Mai always giving me extra food (without extra charge) because "You big man...eat alot"

It's strange all this kindness. Thai people lock up their cars, bikes, whatever, and yet they just trust people on honour. And when you get that instant respect and trust, it makes you want to maintain that respect and trust. Back in Canada/States, it's the opposite: nobody trusts anybody and most are quick to judge and condemn for any fault/transgression.

coming from the airport to town, the airport bus broke down. in my haste i left my shoulder pack on the bus when i jumped into the taxi.

got all the way into town before i realised what id done. :D had alot of valuable gear in there and not locked as im always carrying it. spare cash, etc.

somehow we found our way back to the bus, and there was the bus driver smiling at me holding my bag. :D

priceless, and i was well impressed.

funny thing about it, thats exactly what i thought would happen and my faith in the bus driver was rewarded.

i give him a few hundred baht and he looked like id bought him the world. :D

i love the thai people. :o

many more positive experiences than bad ones.

Airport bus, bringing a group of friends in. After they got off realised bag with3 passports, 3X money etc (left in hands of most responsible , experienced Thai traveler for which she shall ever be mortified ) left on bus. Frantic tuk-tuk chase failed to catch bus, phoned airport, "phone back in one hour when bus here"

lots of nails being bitten, phoned back, "we have a bag here, (described it) driver handed it in, but we are not allowed to open it for 24 hours, can you come here and identify it ? " You never saw people hail a taxi so fast. Right bag contents intact, the killer here was that one of the wallets had £1000, about 70,000B in cash. Yes the driver was sought out and rewarded.

The time I was taking a coffee break at Chatuchak market and a young guy walked up to me, flashed my driving licence and asked if it was me. It was, I'd dropped my wallet nearby and he'd checked the id, looked around and saw me, cash, credit cards etc, refused a reward but finally accepted a cofee.

But thats honesty, Kindness ? In more places, in more times than I can ever remember.

Leaving the airport and travelling down the skyway when the rear tyre blows.

My wife and I find a place to stop (not many of them about) and I begin the change the wheel.

Before I can even pick the tyre lever up a taxi driver has stopped (fare in the back and all) and has the wheel nuts off, the car jacked up and the spare tyre on.

Wifey wants to give him 200 baht but he only accepts 100.

All these stories are too awesome.

Chatuchak ID return? Wow, that's amazing.

And I totally agree, Buckwheat, about the food sharing. But not only food -- beer, whiskey, cigs, whatever's going, it's there for everybody to share until it's all gone. I remember a street art show I did with some Thai artists. Whoever had a vehicle picked up the other artists and their work. As the show progressed, whoever sold something used the money to buy more beer or food. No thought about making money, just sharing and having a party. One artist refused to sell a painting to a loud, aggressive farang, even though she offered mega cash. "Bad heart," he said, "That painting has part of my soul in it. Not for greedy people."

Took a taxi home late one night after a few too many ales and left my glasses in the cab ... the taxi driver came back the next day to my appartment and returned them to me :o

After a severe case of sunburn from a boat trip around Koh Tao ... big momma from our bungalow resort lining me and my mates up and personally treating us gently for hours with freshly picked aloe vera to alleviate our pain and suffering.

On a particularly stormy boat trip between the islands in the Gulf how the locals took care of an older German guy who was suffering from extreme seasickness (he was in spasms retching and totally incapacitated) ... he had 4 complete local strangers on each arm and leg gently massaging him through his misery.

Too many small acts of kindness to remember :D

A mate of mine had a really nasty accident that ended up with him being wrapped around a lamp post with his motorbike and whilst in agony on the floor and before losing consciousness he saw some guy off the street come over who then went out of his way to take care of him, collected his mobile phone, wallet and so forth so that they wouldn't get pinched and then arranged for him to be taken to hospital. My mate woke up a week later in hospital to find all his possessions neatly bagged up next to him with a get well card. When he got out of hospital he tried to find this Thai guy to say thanks but never managed to track him down.

My Condo management for Christmas gave me a box of buttered shortbread cookies as a thank you for being such a good resident.

Some of my Thai colleagues at work took me out to dinner for my birthday and one of the girls produced a 15 year old bottle of French red wine that she had ben saving for a special occasion. I told her that she had no idea the worth of that bottle and that she should perhaps keep it for a really special occasion but she just shrugged and opened it anyway saying this was a special occasion. It was a great bottle of wine I may add.

Been living here over 13 years the kindness shown is too numerous to tell all..

One night I heard a bit of a noise out side, thought it strange Si Dum my poodle hadn't barked.

It was the girl next door feeding and playing with him, she would bath him some times..

I have found people with children specially Blond fair skinned children the

Thais will take care and look after them all day if required..

Yep I guess that's why after 13 plus years I still love living here..LBD

The original Op deserves a medal for starting this thread. Reading his experiences and that of other members brings a tear to my eye. There is so much that is negative written on this board and others about Thailand, so it's good to hear about the good side of people.

I spend as much time as possible in Issan and it's:

* the smiles from the locals as you practice your broken Thai language on them and they try their English on you,

* the welcome you get everywhere you go - at the local shop, petrol station, school or whatever,

* the spontaneous nature of Thai people - everybody lends a hand.

* the refusal to accept a tip when I want a photo opportunity

Peter

The original Op deserves a medal for starting this thread. Reading his experiences and that of other members brings a tear to my eye. There is so much that is negative written on this board and others about Thailand, so it's good to hear about the good side of people.

\Peter

Um, I'm a girl. :o

I love it...thais ain't no better or worse than any asians when dealing with white people...unless you're with family there's always an ulterior motive...

wise up, <deleted>...

Strangers who did something out of kindness for me never came back later and told me their grandma died (for the sixth time) and then asked for money to go home...

One time I went to Kamphaeng Phet to see the historical site. I was on my own and walked out to the site and took a wrong turn. I went behind the walls on the other side, God knows where I might have ended up.

A Thai man in the Electricity Commission building started yelling out to me. He was trying to tell me that I was going the wrong way when a big orange Electricity truck pulled into the yard. This guy started talking with the truck driver then told me to jump in. The kind hearted fellows drove me all the way to the main entrance of the park, gave me directions and told me what time it closed, great guys they were.

On the way back to town the same day 2 girls on a motorcycle pulled up and offered me a lift into town. I will never forget the kindness and hospitality of people in Kamphaeng Phet.

I love it...thais ain't no better or worse than any asians when dealing with white people...unless you're with family there's always an ulterior motive...

wise up, <deleted>...

Strangers who did something out of kindness for me never came back later and told me their grandma died (for the sixth time) and then asked for money to go home...

is that a uniquely thai experience?

wise up, <deleted>...

is that a uniquely thai experience?

As far as I know, and I lived in Japan, China, HK, Singapore (22 years in total) and the rest in the UK, US and Canada. :o

wise up, <deleted>...

The only people I know with this attitude are losers who go around with a lousy attitude towards life and think that their crap life is everyone elses' fault.

Maybe people have an ulterior motive with you because you are just plain unpleasant.

If you're that jaded go home.

Edited by cdnvic

Good people are everywhere. Bad people are everywhere. Basic Thai people seem to extend goodwill no matter who they meet. The jaded ones seem to be the ones who deal daily with irascible farang.

But...even a Khao Sarn Road innkeeper used to let me use the shower for free when I was passing through BKK. And she was a dragon lady.

Good people are everywhere. Bad people are everywhere. Basic Thai people seem to extend goodwill no matter who they meet. The jaded ones seem to be the ones who deal daily with irascible farang.

But...even a Khao Sarn Road innkeeper used to let me use the shower for free when I was passing through BKK. And she was a dragon lady.

Thats called keeping an open and positive mind Miss Jet and in my opinion it's the best way to approach life... let me tell you a story ....

I used to see posts on TV from this guy called Terry57 all the time and it would be easy to assume that he is a bit of a goon :D .... well, I met up with him one night in one of his favourite haunts on Soi Rambuttri near Khaosan road and I can tell you that he is a cracking fella and even bought me a few beers :D

So there you are ... keep that open and positive way of thinking and you will have a good time whoever you are with and wherever you are :D

Here's to you Terry :o

Your mate Dave

Edited by davidjtayler

I returned home at 9pm on Xmas day, when I'd informed the missus I'd be home at 7:30pm. :D She only hit me once :D , and not too hard - it was Xmas. Verry kind of her I thought.

Her mother only laughed two or three times, quite kind. :D

Oh, and I'd left some important stuff in the cab. The driver found out where I lived and returned it to me. Very kind. :o

I returned home at 9pm on Xmas day, when I'd informed the missus I'd be home at 7:30pm. :D She only hit me once :D , and not too hard - it was Xmas. Verry kind of her I thought.

Her mother only laughed two or three times, quite kind. :D

Oh, and I'd left some important stuff in the cab. The driver found out where I lived and returned it to me. Very kind. :o

Did you get any presents?