Thailand ranked among the cheapest places to buy a beer

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets face it

Thai beer is poor  and  to put it nicely Thailand is relatively  expensive  for what is on offer 

Vietnam Cambodia Laos better and cheaper

you can buy singha beer in Uk supermarket /off licence cheaper than you can here which certainly  says something about the tax here!

Supermarket prices of beer in the Uk or Germany  would wipe the floor with Thailand

I honestly dont know where they get this information from, Iv said it once and Ill say it again, Thailand is fast becoming an expensive place to live if you actually live and work here.

Western style food and groceries is on par with the UK/US but the difference is that in the UK and US salaries are higher.

Tescos UK website today,  20 bottles of Bud for 10 GBP thats about 430 baht, you cannot get 20 small bottle/cans of Chang for that here in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

No Cambodia?

Draft beer 50c to $1 all day every day in some bars.

Better selection of spirits, wine and beers than Thailand will ever have too. 

Yes quite true. Same in Vietnam. Out in the provinces I was buying 2 crates at a time of Hanoi beer 450ml bottles, 300,000 VND total = 48 bottle delivered to the door by the local corner store. That converts to just over 9 baht/bottle.

Local bia hoi on the street corner costs anywhere between 25c to 50c.

I was buying  JW Red at the local BigC at 320,000VND per bottle. That equals 470 baht. Spirits and beer has no duty or excise. Wine has a nominal duty to try to protect it's wine industry.

That makes the list and the story worthless reading.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai beer isn't beer for me, it gives me headaches.

Last week in the Makro here, Hoegaarden white 6-pack for 3.8 euro= 150 baht....eat that Thailand!

others report the same; some research indicates it is likely from formaldehyde; added to both beer and 'whiskey' here

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Right on! The local beer in Thailand isn't that great. And the selection, overall, is pretty poor.

We need microbrews!

yes, microbreweries would be great, illegal in Thailand though,

can be set up legally but only at enormous costs

there are sucessful Thai microbrewers, they have their production faclities in Viet Nam, and

other countries in the vicinity of Thailand

£500 would last 44 days in Thailand for Food, Drinks and Transport?
BS + garbage.
A bit of party, fun and drinks, for me there are £500 at one weekend away.
60 Baht for 0.5 litre draft beer?
This must be a very special place, which I do not know.
In most bars is already required for Thai 0.33 bottle beer between 60  - 100 baht.
Especially in tourist areas the beer prices are mostly much higher.

The average price of a beer was found to be Bt60 for 0.5 litre draft beer.
I bet the authors have not set a foot on Thai soil so far.

Don't know where this guy got his statics, this is now one of the most expensive places to buy beer. Thanks to the military jacking up the taxes on beer and vine  to pay for their submarines and other necessary military equipment.  i can buy a 12 pack of premium beer in the U.S. for 6.00 usd. Here a 12 pack is 14.00 USD. Who the hell is fooling who? 

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, microbreweries would be great, illegal in Thailand though,

can be set up legally but only at enormous costs

there are sucessful Thai microbrewers, they have their production faclities in Viet Nam, and

other countries in the vicinity of Thailand

news to me

there is a microbrewery here in Phuket in Junk ceylon..http://fullmoonbrewwork.com/

and we have our own Phuket beer as wel,l https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Beer

" Phuket Beer is brewed at the San Miguel Brewery, Thailand, and Phnom Penh Brewery, Cambodia, "

( although sucks compared to Beer Laos & Mandalay beer)

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

No Cambodia?

Draft beer 50c to $1 all day every day in some bars.

Better selection of spirits, wine and beers than Thailand will ever have too. 

Agreed. And just in case someone is going to try and say those glasses are not a half liter, there is a great beer garden in the Toul Kork area of Phnom Penh. 2 liter jugs for $2.

Whoever made this study needs to do alot more research.

I will be happy to offer my services to them for a nominal fee.

3 hours ago, nev said:

I get a large Leo in my village for 57baht and the shopkeeper puts it in a bag and puts a scoop of ice in, a nice man and will not accept the 3 baht change as a tip.

Yes but I have found that the beer here only starts to taste like a good beer after the 3rd bottle

There are some good travel and price pages about Asia in the net.
For example Price and Travel identify correctly the pricerange für a Pint of beer USD 1.80-4.50
Happy hours are common, but otherwise beer is not the bargain it is elsewhere in SE Asia.
"The average price for 0.5 litre draft beer was found to be Bt60" ...... is nonsense.

The only place where there is generally cheap draft beer, is at the beer gardens at temple festivals, which currently does not take place, because of the 1 year mourning period.
A 3 liter beer tower is mostly available there for 450-500 baht.

46 minutes ago, uffe123 said:

Don't know where this guy got his statics, this is now one of the most expensive places to buy beer. Thanks to the military jacking up the taxes on beer and vine  to pay for their submarines and other necessary military equipment.  i can buy a 12 pack of premium beer in the U.S. for 6.00 usd. Here a 12 pack is 14.00 USD. Who the hell is fooling who? 

Exactly, and if you look at the bars and how you have to drink the beer there's also a huge difference.

Thai bars with plastic chairs/tables are nothing compared to an Irish pub to name something.

These numbers make absolutely no sense.

In 7-11 / supermarkets a small beer in Thailand is about 40b = 1€ per bottle. You can get a beer for the same price in almost all european countries (many cheaper i.e. Germany, Spain), and usually of better quality. In fact, Hong Kong has cheaper beer (per liter) than Thailand. To say that Thailand has the cheapest beer is complete nonsense.

A pint of beer in a bar/restaurant/club in Thailand varies a lot, but usually at the very least 100 baht, but for example some trendy bars in BKK it will be 200-220b for a SMALL bottle of Thai beer.

So let's say cost of a pint in Bangkok is on average between 100-250 baht or 2.5 - 6.5€. If you want craft beer, it will be 10€ or more. The study said 60 baht. Not even close to the reality.

I've been here for 4 years and very few places can sell at that price (usually a large beer for 80 baht is the best you can get), if they do, it's most likely a very thai restaurant not in the city center, which you can hardly use as the measuring stick for the entire country.

A pint of beer in the more expensive European countries will usually set you back about 5-10€ depending on what you are drinking and where. So not too much of a difference there especially when factoring in the quality.

3 hours ago, emanphoto said:

Also no Vietnam which I've heard is dirt cheap for beer.

Was there last week. Draft beer in central Hanoi was selling for about 20 pence a glass. Not the best beer in the world, admittedly, but a lot better than Chang or Singh. And good selection of other beers, all at a fraction of the price of Thailand. The Travelex folk should get out a bit more and travel. Vietnam is the place to be for cheap beer, while Thailand sux.....e.g. locally brewed "craft beer" in a bland bar in Saphan Kwai, c. 300 baht/pint., i.e. double UK prices. 

49 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

news to me

there is a microbrewery here in Phuket in Junk ceylon..http://fullmoonbrewwork.com/

and we have our own Phuket beer as wel,l https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Beer

" Phuket Beer is brewed at the San Miguel Brewery, Thailand, and Phnom Penh Brewery, Cambodia, "

( although sucks compared to Beer Laos & Mandalay beer)

we have such breweries around where I live also

over the past year or so there has been some writing in Bangkok Post about these breweries,

illegal, unless;

huge money and huge investments are needed in order to make them legal,

this is of course to protect the Chang, Leo, Singha etc makers

that is why several pop off to Cambodia, Laos and Viet Nam

a real pity that

Archived