Dtac sms/ data scam- unwanted messages and indirect web site referrals

illy

I have seen that some people in this forum have been complaining about AIS problems but recently my DTAC account seems to have been overcharged for dodgy sms and data scams...costing me almost 3000bht!

DTAC call centre says i have been using "data referral ads" on in screen adverts [which i have not] and I am being charged for INCOMING sms promotions which i promptly delete and never open.

My DTAC plan is one that i am never supposed to be charged anything more than 500bht for data.

is this the latest scam?

any advise would be appreciated

illy

I've been magically signed up twice for "special data promotions" but for only a few hundred baht before I get the ladies in the DTAC office to turn them off.  They don't seem to be able to explain how it happens and have assured me both times it will never happen again.  I wonder if DTAC gets a cut of the revenue and therefore lets these things happen.

I don't know if there is a solution other than watching carefully and going to the same DTAC office each time it happens.  Explain that it's happening multiple times, ask them to permanently block, talk with the manager rather than the counter staff, threaten to switch to another company if it happens again...

It happened to me once, I don't make calls that often but was seeing the strange sms popping up and my money credit going down steadily ('m on prepaid.) So I called dtac. The English speaking rep cheerfully informed me of the state of the affair and readily offered to cancel "it" (whatever that was) on the spot, if I so desired. 

Absolutely no fuss, meaning no explanation given and no voice raised (both parties assumed it's a fact of TIT life.) That took care of it and it has not happened since. In all I lost a hundred baht but that taught me to look out for those dodgy sms ever since.

Ok have been in contact with DTAC as above. messages stops but still have  mystery 3000bht worth of costs on my bill which is normal approx 900bht in total including data. will keep on it.

Yes, I've noticed by prepaid balance slowly reducing these past few weeks. I spoke to the DTAC centre and they gave me the same bullsh*t about my having clicked on ads, despite my using an adblocker browser. If it continues I'll change providers.

Are you post-paid or pre-paid?

I always recommend reviewing your bill/account/charges each month. And don't ignore the the SMSes.

You can view your account and billing details on-line.

DTAC e-service, request a OTP, check usage (last three months available)

You should be able to figure out which services you, or someone using your phone, inadvertently subscribed to? You can also ask DTAC to disallow any/all thrid-party billing services on your number/account.

It is quite easy to accidentally subscribe to these services. 

DTAC should give you a complete refund credit, if they don't simply port out to another provider

yes its the "clicked on ads" excuse they are using! I am post paid so the bill is huge compared to normal. I would like to change providers but that would mean changing my number or paying in full to keep my number, which I have had for 13 years,  to another provider

Same happened to me. Did not see my post pay bill for a couple months. Called them they said we will issue a credit for this month and block future spam smss. How about the three previous months? No. I just didn't pay my bill and finally went in their office and got the other due credits. Stand your ground, they know it is a money making scam. 

8 hours ago, illy said:

seems DTAC is doing this a lot to make profits they are missing out on by losing customers getting scammed

This is a common misconception.

DTAC (and AIS and TrueMove H) are simply providing Direct Carrier Billing Services for third-party service providers, so most/any/all "profits" are going to to the third-party service provider.

DTAC (and AIS and TrueMove H) all have a record of providing full and complete refunds.

IMO, if anyone is receiving periodic messages should IMMEDIATELY contact both the mobile service provider, and the information service provider, to sort out what's going on.

On True sim card got a call from a telemarketer. They only spoke Thai and eventfully I hung up. A day later starting getting these push notification adds and I quickly blocked.   On my True bill I noticed a 300baht charge for something. Went to True and asked what is it. They said I subscribed to something. I told the girl to cancel it and that I never signed up for this and I would not pay this either. Next bill cycle came around and 300 baht was there again. I went into True again and asked to speak to a manager and let him have my rant that I didn't sign up for this, not going to pay it, this is fraud etc. Next bill cycle the charge was gone.

When I looked closer at four months of unauthorized sms charges, two things came to light 1) The sms charges were not divisible by 3B, the normal price and 2) The charges literally doubled every month. Looks like and smells very fishy! 

Edited by inThailand
fat fingers

I have an AIS problem.

I put money on my phone and it disappears.

The only new thing is unwanted messages.

I delete and the baht slowly disappears like 25 baht a message. 

This scammer knows when I put money on my phone.

Right now my phone is at -0- baht, no messages.

Three times before, I put money on phones, then messages start and there goes the baht.

Right now , no money on phone, no messages.

I am trying to think of how to outfox these scammers, you see, a thief is not smart, a thief is stupid.

I think, I will ignore messages, do not open or delete them

Anyone having this problem, or anyone who has solved this problem, PLEASE contact me here..

DTAC - every month (postpayd) my bill was 699 B + VAT. So far OK! Last Month I got a bill over 1000 B.

Check on "monthly usage" online did not work. I sent a letter to DTAK (there is no e-mail address you can contact only phon numbers... , but I want a written answer on paper I can relay on)

DTAC answered: "You received 26 news update SMS this month." I have seen it, but thougt it is advertisment and never followed this link - why - I can not read Thai? I did not subscribe anything, but got the bill.

I wrote DTAC again: I WILL NOT PAY more then 699 B + VAT same as every month ...

Now wating for answer!

If DTAC will not send me a new bill, I do not pay. If DTAC closes my accont I will move to another provider.

That's it.DTAC2.jpg.1ea00d7ef68c998b47ac56dfbf9f298d.jpg

7 hours ago, themerg said:

I have an AIS problem.

I put money on my phone and it disappears.

The only new thing is unwanted messages.

I delete and the baht slowly disappears like 25 baht a message. 

This scammer knows when I put money on my phone.

Right now my phone is at -0- baht, no messages.

Three times before, I put money on phones, then messages start and there goes the baht.

Right now , no money on phone, no messages.

I am trying to think of how to outfox these scammers, you see, a thief is not smart, a thief is stupid.

I think, I will ignore messages, do not open or delete them

Anyone having this problem, or anyone who has solved this problem, PLEASE contact me here..

You're infected, you're number has been compromised - you can't beat them - take your phone to AIS, cancel the number, get a new number 1,2,Call - sign up for the 800 baht unlimited internet, problem solved..........have had this for a few  years now, no SMS's, no money disappearing from my account anymore.

On 8/24/2017 at 1:33 PM, illy said:

yes its the "clicked on ads" excuse they are using! I am post paid so the bill is huge compared to normal. I would like to change providers but that would mean changing my number l to keep my number, which I have had for 13 years,  to another provider

You can ask for a refund, I had the same problem , they are 3rd party companies, and after I stopped it I sent a mail to the top boss in Bangkok, he is Norwegian and then suddenly everyone at DTAC apologized and would fix any issues,  I am Norwegian myself, DTAC is partly Norwegian so I told him exactly how I felt!   

Apart from that I have been a happy DTAC customer for 7 years, on postpaid. 

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, balo said:

You can ask for a refund, I had the same problem , they are 3rd party companies, and after I stopped it I sent a mail to the top boss in Bangkok, he is Norwegian and then suddenly everyone at DTAC apologized and would fix any issues,  I am Norwegian myself, DTAC is partly Norwegian so I told him exactly how I felt!   

Apart from that I have been a happy DTAC customer for 7 years, on postpaid. 

Same me on postpaid! Why ask for refund? I sent my last (incorrect) bill back to the HQ of DTAC at BKK.

Now I'm waiting for a "correct" bill ...

I do not pay for a dayly link (not news updates in SMS, only a link to ...) I never followed and opened

BTW who is so stupid to pay money at 11 am (the time the link usually comes in) for news I could read for free at 8 am in newspapers?

Wait and see ...