visa cancelled on date passport expired

Hi I'm a new subscriber so I apologize for any errors.

I have held an  Extension  of stay based on retirement for 9 years. My current one was obtained on 8th Dec 2016 and valid until the 6th January 2018.

my passport (British) expired on the 25 July 2017 so I applied for a new passport which I received valid from the 24th May 2017. I visited the immigration office on June 7th and had the visa, valid until 6th January 2018,  and other information transferred from my old passport to my new one. 

I have already done two  90 day reports using my new passport.

On 23rd August 2017 I received a telephone call from the immigration office saying I had a problem. The IO visited my house and said that because my old passport expired on 25th July 2017 then my visa finished at the same time. This meaning I am currently on overstay to the tune of 14,500 baht.

I would appreciate it if somebody could confirm that this is the rules and that although I have a current visa  stamp in my new passport it is not correct.

Thanking you for any valid information.  

normally an extension of stay is  dated until the expiry date of the passport if that is less than 1 year from extension date, so your extension should have been dated until 25th July. immigration made a mistake and now you are paying the price, get it sort asap,

you will need to apply for a fresh extension and try and sweet talk immigration.

you do not have a visa the permission to stay stamp of your extension was transferred, your visa is long ago expired.

further advice will follow i am sure

• Like 1

As above, it looks like immigration has made a mistake giving you an extension beyond the validity of your passport. However, you have stamps in old and new passport showing their mistake.  

It would be a bit rude if they enforce an overstay due to their error.

They have made 2 mistakes, an extension beyond passport validity and transferring an expired extension to a new passport. Thats two times it should have been picked up.

When you applied for the extension on December 2016 they should have given you permission to stay until the passport expired on July 25th. 

The fact that they gave you a full year is their mistake. It's reasonable for them to ask for you to complete a new retrospective extension application, but completely unreasonable for them to claim you are on overstay and fine you. I would appeal against the overstay fine to the senior officer at your local immigration office and go higher if needs be.

• Like 2

Try and sort this out yourself by going to Immigration, ensure you are polite and calm headed at all times, even though this is not your fault it won't help if you start arguing.

If you don't feel confident in being able to resolve this by yourself then go with a Lawyer or if you know any connected people take them with you.

Remember even though this is now way your fault you are on a overstay which they could arrest you for so ensure you handle it in the right manner,

Good luck.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You could always ring the Immigration helpline 1178 for advice and arbitration with your IO.

Very good advice unless the I/O at his Immigration office holds a grudge and makes things difficult for his next extension

In a normal world the overstay would be waived, the I/O would admit he made a mistake and the OP would have no issues but of course things work differently here 

12 hours ago, cookieboy said:

On 23rd August 2017 I received a telephone call from the immigration office saying I had a problem. The IO visited my house and said that because my old passport expired on 25th July 2017 then my visa finished at the same time. This meaning I am currently on overstay to the tune of 14,500 baht.

That seems to be a very suspicious for the officer to call you and then visit your home to sort it out. I suspect a scam myself.

It was there error and they have already transferred the extension stamp to your new one. I cannot see how they can claim you are on an overstay now.

You should go to the immigration office and inquire about it. But if it was me I would certainly not pay the 14,500 baht the officer mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1