Timber stash found in Vietnamese language school

geovalin

More than 60 pieces of luxury timber were found hidden in a Vietnamese language association on Tuesday morning in Ratanakkiri province, with the owner claiming to be holding them for someone else. “Looking at the facade of the house, it’s not possible to tell it is a place for trading timber, because it is used as a Vietnamese language school to teach youngsters of around five to six years of age,” the Boeung Kanseng commune police chief said.

The chief added that the Vietnamese association was a school combined with a restaurant, and there had never been any suspected trace of timber trade there until the timber was discovered. According to the commune police, the facility belongs to Yort Hieng and the timber confiscated included both thnung and kranhoung wood.

Banlung town police chief Hout Borey said the 65 pieces of timber were equivalent to 2,088 cubic metres of wood. Prosecutor Chea Pich, who led the operation, said the raid followed an investigation by the forestry administration.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5079670/timber-stash-found-vietnamese-language-school/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 24/08

So each piece of wood was 35 cu meters?  Even 35 board meters is impossible.  Maybe bd ft? That's some big trees and school.   I have met 3 government employees who had much old growth wood furniture and in their house.  I guess they knew to buy it before the crackdown???This  Reminds me of a mistake I made in my calulations during a summer job. 

After an hour of my boss and I measuring this irregular shaped coal pile. ( I broke it up into many shapes.)  The number i came up with was 54,000 tons.   My boss said no way!  He could guess how many rail cars @ 200,000#.  He knew it wasn't 540 train car loads.  I redid my calulations and found out I forget to divide by 27 cu ft/ yd. 

A few weeks later when it went over the scale into the train it was 2001 tons.  My boss couldn't believe it.  He wanted me to show him this amazing math.  It was more an art project to visualize all the cones, rectangles, and triangles.   It did teach me to always check my final answer for gross errors.  

It's sad to learn about the damage man has done to old growth forests in all countries.