Prices of US eyewear vs. Bangkok?

wealthychef

Has anyone knowledge of the price vs quality of Bangkok optometrists vs. US offerings?  I'm looking to replace my lenses with polycarbonate, low-glare, progressive lenses and was wondering if it will be super expensive in Bangkok, about the same, or perhaps cheaper?  You never know with this kind of thing.  I'm in the US right now and the price for what I want is shocking me.  Any advice?  Thanks.  

I'm asking for your on-topic knowledge and experience, not guesses.  :-)  Thank you!  

Prices in BKK are about on par with buying through the most expensive ophthalmologist I can find in the USA.  Without the benefit of the ophthalmologist.

If you go through one of the discount chains in the USA, you'll get a much better price and better odds of getting the prescription right than you will in BKK.  Or use www.zennioptical.com

But the lady checking your eyes probably won't be as cute.

I was in Vegas in Feb. this year. I bought 2 pairs of glasses at WalMart.

Progressive with that coating transition coating.

I paid 50% less there than I was quoted for 1 pair here. And I went to 3 different suppliers.

I  don't need a new pair, but I was in the shops with my daughter while she was shopping for a new pair.

I could fly back to say, LA, buy 2 pair., and return for LESS than one pair here.

I remember seeing companies offer 2 for 1 specials.....check them out. Once you're here, you're stuck with the local prices.

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

Prices in BKK are about on par with buying through the most expensive ophthalmologist I can find in the USA.  Without the benefit of the ophthalmologist.

I think it rather depends on who you buy from.

In Pattaya when my prescription changes I get replacement lenses from a man with a little shop and I pay 450B for them. Not progressive, admittedly.

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

In Pattaya when my prescription changes I get replacement lenses from a man with a little shop and I pay 450B for them. Not progressive, admittedly.

In 6 years, I've never read a post in a thread, or spoken to any of my friends who think they got a decent price on glasses in Thailand.  (edit:  not that I recall anyway) Until yours.

I'm not doubting they're out there.  People on a Thai salary can't afford what I've paid for mine, so there must be cheaper options.  But finding them is another story.  Especially if the looker doesn't have a Thai wife, or 10 years on the ground, or a full time guide.  That changes a lot of rules.

I paid $200-250 for a cheap pair of reading glasses (left mine in a taxi), and $700 $600 for a pair of progressives.  In neither case was the frame anything special, or coated, or polarized, or..or..

Another edit:  BTW, I got the progressives from the guy who did my progressive SCUBA mask for me.  He did such a good job on the mask that I decided to toss him some work.  That's after I looked forever to find a local shop that could do a mask.  They may have been closer to $600 than $700.

I will only buy frames/glasses at home in Canada now. I stopped buying them in Thailand years ago when I found (a) lens quality in Thailand was not as advanced as in Canada,  (b)  frames and lenses in Thailand were 50% to 100% more expensive than in Canada. Of course, progressive lenses are expensive anywhere. 

Somewhat off topic, but I have astigmatism and because it is always needs to be ordered I don't bother because I can usually get by with normal lenses and just wear glasses the rest of the time. However, I have been buying these monthly "Duna" contacts and I noticed that after just 1-2 weeks they start to irritate by eyes. I am concerned that I may be damaging my eyes long term. I used to have really nice contacts back in Canada and I wouldn't even have to take them out for a week, but they are impossible to find here... I think it was Acuvue.

So, what decent monthly contacts would you recommend and how much? Doesn't have to be for Astigmatism

Prices here are much more expensive than in the UK. Most so called opticians operate under a franchise and many aren't opticians. Frames are cheaper abroad. Bring your prescription here and if you are lucky you can get good lenses made more cheaply. The local hospitals charge way over the top. If you need reading glasses you can buy them in the market for 80-120 baht. 

31 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

I find the frames to be more expensive in Thailand, but if you have your own frames, the lenses are much less here in Thailand. 

Exactly what I find.  Exams and glasses are relatively expensive at the chain optical stores.  Exams and lenses are cheap at the local non-chain stores but the frames are expensive.  The quality of the exams will vary so if you use an optical shop look for one that others recommend.

In Bangkok one of the best places to get an examination is Rutin Eye Hospital.  It is a bit of an examination mill where you go from room to room but you finish with an ophthalmologist and the results are good.  If you have any know problems with your eyes such as glaucoma, cataracts, etc.  it is the place I would recommend for an exam and treatment. 

Back in 2002 I got one of the fastest, most superficial, and poor exams of my life at Bumrungrad, then Rutin was recommend by a friend.  The Rutin ophthalmologist was highly experienced and gave me a very thorough exam before refusing to do the surgery.  She detected that my corneas were swollen because I had been wearing contact lenses, which had been completely missed at Bumrungrad.  The Rutin ophthalmologist forced me to wear glasses for a month without wearing contacts until the swelling was completely gone before doing the surgery.  For the first time I could focus more than 3" beyond my nose.  My vision had gone from worse than 20:900 (worse than -9 diopters) in both eyes to 20:20 vision in one eye and 20:30 in the other.  Unfortunately time and age means that I now need glasses to correct the vision in one eye for driving or watching TV.

If you have a prescription you can order glasses on the internet from Zenni Optical.  Using a prescription from Rutin I got a pair of single vision glasses with titanium frames with clip on sunglasses for USA $32.85 plus $9.95 shipping to Thailand.  There is no shipping charge for a second pair of glasses.  The quality is excellent and my only regret is not getting a new set of glasses with a prescription for computer use at the same time.

5 hours ago, TerryLH said:

"I paid $200-250 for a cheap pair of reading glasses..."

If you need reading glasses you can buy them in the market for 80-120 baht."

My reading glasses cost me 25 Baht.  Not fancy, but they do the job.

Yes , 50 B at the market , and when I feel rich , I go for the metal frame ones , 79 B .

1 hour ago, TerryLH said:

"I paid $200-250 for a cheap pair of reading glasses..."

If you need reading glasses you can buy them in the market for 80-120 baht."

My reading glasses cost me 25 Baht.  Not fancy, but they do the job.

Then you don't have astigmatism.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

In 6 years, I've never read a post in a thread, or spoken to any of my friends who think they got a decent price on glasses in Thailand.  (edit:  not that I recall anyway) Until yours.

I'm not doubting they're out there.  People on a Thai salary can't afford what I've paid for mine, so there must be cheaper options.  But finding them is another story.  Especially if the looker doesn't have a Thai wife, or 10 years on the ground, or a full time guide.  That changes a lot of rules.

I paid $200-250 for a cheap pair of reading glasses (left mine in a taxi), and $700 $600 for a pair of progressives.  In neither case was the frame anything special, or coated, or polarized, or..or..

Another edit:  BTW, I got the progressives from the guy who did my progressive SCUBA mask for me.  He did such a good job on the mask that I decided to toss him some work.  That's after I looked forever to find a local shop that could do a mask.  They may have been closer to $600 than $700.

Where did you buy your cheap pair $200-250 of reading glass and what brand?

3 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Where did you buy your cheap pair $200-250 of reading glass and what brand?

Swing a dead cat in BKK and walk into the Optometrist shop that you hit.  I'd rather not mention the name of the shops with the blue sign.  

Like Mom, Thai law recommends against saying anything if it's not nice.

9 hours ago, impulse said:

If you go through one of the discount chains in the USA, you'll get a much better price and better odds of getting the prescription right than you will in BKK.  Or use www.zennioptical.com

But the lady checking your eyes probably won't be as cute.

This is a poort statement Glasses are much cheaper here than in the USA not Par  When you go into a  store you can hagle the prices by about  20% or so off what they are asking and its way cheaper unless you want to buy Name brand frames then you pay through the nose same as in the USA

20 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

This is a poort statement Glasses are much cheaper here than in the USA not Par  When you go into a  store you can hagle the prices by about  20% or so off what they are asking and its way cheaper unless you want to buy Name brand frames then you pay through the nose same as in the USA

If so, where?  I've been waiting 6 years for someone to post a specific location.  And not the off the shelf cheaters that you buy for $2.00.  They don't work with astigmatism.

I replaced my progressive eye-wear about one year ago and it was much cheaper than Australia ($150 vs $650). However, this was in Mahasarakham. My prescription is rather complicated with both eyes being different and with powerful lenses needed.

However, it took 3 times to get it right. The first two times the guy doing the cutting didn't use the right focal point resulting in double vision. The third time they got it right. They didn't charge for the 2 sets of lenses they screwed up.

I have tried many progressive lenses but just can't use them.  I can't seem to get the right focus no matter how I move my head up and down.  I have returned to using bifocals and have no trouble getting the right focus by making the distance to the object that I am reading closer or farther away.  I found a place that makes pretty good bifocal lenses with a transitions coating for about $200.  It is Infinity Optical on the 3rd floor of Central World.  There is also a pretty good shop in Emquartier.  I've forgotten the name but they gave me the price that I used to bargain at Infinity Optical.  I have not had good results in California where my optician gave me a prescription that strains my eyes.  My right eye won't maintain focus so it is difficult to determine the right refraction and astigmatism correction for it.  In Bangkok, a lot depends on the technician who determines your prescription.  In the past, I had my cataracts removed and got a prescription at Bumrungrad.  The cataracts were removed successfully but I found the service and attitude of the ophthalmologist to be poor.  The prescription that I got there was totally wrong.  In the future, I will use Rutin.

Even in MBK, the whole Glasses and frames business is a total rip-off.

I used to get cheap frames replaced for around Bt.300-350 in a place I went to regularly, but last time everywhere I went insisted on using special lenses Bt.1000 upwards, even the guy that I had been using for 10-15 years!  He'd actually previously done the job at the cheaper price with cheaper frames!

The big deal was that they are frameless, but eventually I found someone to do them for around Bt.800, still a ripoff.

Far too late, I found a very nice guy with a tiny shop on the foodcourt floor at MBK (below cinema floor). Smack in the middle of al the clothes sellers, against the far wall. His prices were more reasonable, but he still has to buy from the over priced wholesalers...

OP, I would get them in the USA if I were you. I recently was in the USA and I had a very good eye exam while I was home. I recently went to a recommended Optometrist shop (from this forum) here just a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to purchase a new pair of frames and progressive lenses. After taking my present pair that I was wearing to the backroom for what seemed like 30 minutes, the lady came back and refused nicely to use the prescription that I had recently gotten in the USA. She said that she did not know what kind of progressive lenses the prescription was made for and therefore could not guarantee anything if they were not suitable when finished. I was under the impression that an eye exam was just that and all the information needed was right there but evidently not. I finally just left and haven't tried again since, has anyone else encountered anything like this here? My last attempt here a couple of years ago was weird also, I went to get new lenses for a pair of sun-glasses that I had, just lenses. The first price I thought was very high so I was going to walk out, she lowered the price. I thought still too high and she lowered the price again. I thought hell I might as well try that again and she came down again. Finally I gave in and and got them but I was never satisfied with the results, I tried wearing them for a while and I admit, I waited maybe two months, then tried to take them back and they refused.   

5 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Exactly what I find.  Exams and glasses are relatively expensive at the chain optical stores.  Exams and lenses are cheap at the local non-chain stores but the frames are expensive.  The quality of the exams will vary so if you use an optical shop look for one that others recommend.

In Bangkok one of the best places to get an examination is Rutin Eye Hospital.  It is a bit of an examination mill where you go from room to room but you finish with an ophthalmologist and the results are good.  If you have any know problems with your eyes such as glaucoma, cataracts, etc.  it is the place I would recommend for an exam and treatment. 

Back in 2002 I got one of the fastest, most superficial, and poor exams of my life at Bumrungrad, then Rutin was recommend by a friend.  The Rutin ophthalmologist was highly experienced and gave me a very thorough exam before refusing to do the surgery.  She detected that my corneas were swollen because I had been wearing contact lenses, which had been completely missed at Bumrungrad.  The Rutin ophthalmologist forced me to wear glasses for a month without wearing contacts until the swelling was completely gone before doing the surgery.  For the first time I could focus more than 3" beyond my nose.  My vision had gone from worse than 20:900 (worse than -9 diopters) in both eyes to 20:20 vision in one eye and 20:30 in the other.  Unfortunately time and age means that I now need glasses to correct the vision in one eye for driving or watching TV.

If you have a prescription you can order glasses on the internet from Zenni Optical.  Using a prescription from Rutin I got a pair of single vision glasses with titanium frames with clip on sunglasses for USA $32.85 plus $9.95 shipping to Thailand.  There is no shipping charge for a second pair of glasses.  The quality is excellent and my only regret is not getting a new set of glasses with a prescription for computer use at the same time.

It is actually Rutnin Eye Hospital, and it is about 1 1/2 kilos from the Sky Train going east the stop after NaNa.....I believe Suhkimvit. I am heading there tomorrow for my glaucoma checkup. I find them to be first class, and my doctor there worked also in Canada and speaks good English.

i didn't buy glasses there because somebody on here suggested a place back down the road towards the train station that was cheaper. I don't remember what I paid.....but good service and they mailed us the glasses as it was a Sunday and nobody was working who assembled the glasses. 

I went to Rutin Eye Hospital  in December for check-up

make an appointment on website first ,

they run a lot of people thru there per hour , and its not fancy but they do a good job,

I had them  check for two focal lengths , reading a book and farther away computer screen,

one thing to remember , if they put the eye drops in for the last exam , you need to wait 20 minutes or so , no problem with that  , but when you leave to go home , and into BRIGHT  sunshine you eyes are still "open"  and the sunlight will hurt......

Bring real dark sunglasses and a hat......or you will be bumping into things !  and do not drive .......

There are places that Thai people go to get their glasses. It's not like every kid wearing glasses bought them at super premium prices.

Ask around.

In general, Thailand isn't price competitive with the West for eyeglasses. So stay out of hospitals, malls and Charoen Optical branches. Their prices are a joke.

Find a small hole in the wall place and get your lenses cut. Order frames from abroad if you need to.

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Can you tell me where this shop is?  My wife will need new lenses for reading next winter.  Do they check your eyesight with the appropriate machine so you have the right ones?

I pay about $700 here in the US for your glasses. I find the quality and technology is much better. Price is not a concern when it comes my vision. I have a special eye condition where I need a prisom in my lenses, so when I tried to order this in Bangkok they had no idea. 

Archived