New Zealand visitor visa problems for Thais

Three friends of mine have had problems over past few years with the BKK  visa office of New Zealand where even though they are decent NZ citizens with their own money etc and sponsoring a Thai, visas are being denied on ridiculous grounds. Is this happening to many others??. My friends are wondering if it's some kind of racial prejudice or similar.

Gotta be a lot more specific about the reasons for denial, the Kiwis' history in Thailand, the nature and duration of their relationships with their GF's and the ladies' occupations, and previous history of seeking visas.

I've seen guys come over for 2 weeks, pick up a hooker and then get real upset when they can't bring them back home to show to Dad...

But I've also seen legitimate relationships ended because of weird visa problems.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Katipo said:

I have taken had 4 Thais go to NZ over the years. Not one of them was ever denied or had a problem.

They all had jobs, a bank account with money in it, and in some cases, their own property. Nothing was required from me by way of sponsorship letter etc. In my experience, people only have trouble when it appears they are not self sufficient or might be an overstay risk (which in NZ for Thais is surprisingly common).

Same issues as with Thais entering Oz. People never learn.

as southernstar says it is usually about self suffiency, money in bank for a period of time, not 1 week. return flight tickets and accomadation.  my gf just got a month tourist visa for oz yesterday but in the last 5 yrs she has 1 2 1/2 yr visa for canada a 2yr usa visa 3 seperate shenzen visas 1 england visa. plus been in and out of the many other mostly local countries that dont require visas japan hk sing etc.

no job no kids. listed as housewife even though we are not legaly married.

• Like 1

When I took my girlfriend (now my wife) back to NZ many years ago the NZ Embassy had just started checking very carefully on the "overstay " situation."

Thailand used to give automatic 90 days on arrival for Kiwis but stopped it when NZ had a major problem 

with Thais overstaying in NZ & toughened up the visa process.

Maybe the Embassy staff are just doing their job

• Like 2

When I first came here I had sold up all my interests in the Kiwifruit packing business and just went back a couple of times.Friends of my now wife wanted to go and work over there but were all turned down with not enough money even with the definate chance of a job over there.I also have a mate who after having been here many yrs from NZ is now stuck in NZ having had surgery on eyes and now wants his Thai g/f to fly over and come straight back with him to help him travel.Complete refusal !!!!! There must be a hell of a lot of new hoops to go through. I'm almost frightened to go back myself now,just in case !!!!

• Like 1

It is election Year. And the anti Immigrants have been banging their pots. As a result they have tightened visa application processes. I am having trouble getting my Fillipina GF into NZ but after September I expect it to settle down again. The proof of return airfare and sufficient funds to support are the biggest reasons for refusal of tourist visas

4 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

It is election Year. And the anti Immigrants have been banging their pots. As a result they have tightened visa application processes. I am having trouble getting my Fillipina GF into NZ but after September I expect it to settle down again. The proof of return airfare and sufficient funds to support are the biggest reasons for refusal of tourist visas

Not difficult to have a return ticket and plan in advance enough to deposit money is a bank every month, right ?

2 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

The friend I was talking about has lived and worked in Thailand for many years, petro-chem construction etc; has plenty of assets in NZ; has sponsored other Thais over the years without problem but the latest app was turned down due to "insufficient evidence of travel plans within NZ" and "evidence of return travel".

To him sponsorship includes all required support, adherence to NZ regulations/laws etc, and departure within visa validity. And a return air TKT was submitted with app showing a roughly 2 month stay.

Not difficult to have a return ticket and plan in advance enough to deposit money is a bank every month, right ?