3000 baht quarterly bribe for education visa?!

soistalker

I went to a well known Thai language school to inquire about taking Thai language classes and getting a one year education visa. I was quoted a price for the one year visa and the classes.

In addition, I was told that every three months, that I would need to give the school my passport and 5000 baht, and that they would pay 1900 baht for the three month visa update

and a 3000 baht bribe to immigration.

Obviously I was put off by this. Is this a scam or is this really how the education visa works?

10 hours ago, tonray said:

I had the same scenario. But they of course said the money was for admin assistance at Immigration, attendance records...etc etc. Quite a scam. I told them to shove it.

Did you think the extra money was going to bribe immigration officers or the school was just squeezing you?

12 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Did you think the extra money was going to bribe immigration officers or the school was just squeezing you?

Definitely going to immigration. Other classmates said the secretary accompanied them to Chaengwattana and disappeared behind the partition and presto chango all done !

17 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

So its OK to use the School to extend your stay, but wrong for them to make a few Beer Tokens on the side.?emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Every farang that uses an ED visa to stay in Thailand is abusing the spirit of visa regulations.

Complaining about corruption surrounding these semi legal activities is ridiculous.

It is of course a good idea to learn Thai if you stay in Thailand long time - but in that case you should already have a proper visa.

Every farang that uses an ED visa to stay in Thailand is abusing the spirit of visa regulations.
Complaining about corruption surrounding these semi legal activities is ridiculous.

It is of course a good idea to learn Thai if you stay in Thailand long time - but in that case you should already have a proper visa.

OhDear,
Thats You and Me unpopular with the Great Unwashed again.?[emoji481][emoji481].

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm always amused by the policy of giving out visas for people to learn a language that will be of no use except in the country where they otherwise have no permission to stay.

But if they give 'em out, I don't see how it's abusing the system to learn Thai to stay in the country.  As long as you're going to class.  Makes little sense to me, but it's not my place.

On an aside, I occasionally helped friends' kids in China when their ED visa's (or equivalent) were denied to the USA or Canada.  The #1 reason for kicking the application back was because they did not convince the IO that the education they were applying for would pay out the cost of getting it.  The solution was usually a letter from the current employer outlining how they'd benefit from their employee's degree, and a salary boost expectation.  Can't see how learning Thai would have passed muster.  Edit:  But this ain't the USA or Canada...

Edited by impulse

On 25/08/2017 at 8:32 AM, oldhippy said:

Exactly right,  most of the farangs are abusing the system in order to stay here. So they are just as corrupt as the immigration officers. 

On 25/08/2017 at 9:35 AM, impulse said:

I'm always amused by the policy of giving out visas for people to learn a language that will be of no use except in the country where they otherwise have no permission to stay.

But if they give 'em out, I don't see how it's abusing the system to learn Thai to stay in the country.  As long as you're going to class.  Makes little sense to me, but it's not my place.

On an aside, I occasionally helped friends' kids in China when their ED visa's (or equivalent) were denied to the USA or Canada.  The #1 reason for kicking the application back was because they did not convince the IO that the education they were applying for would pay out the cost of getting it.  The solution was usually a letter from the current employer outlining how they'd benefit from their employee's degree, and a salary boost expectation.  Can't see how learning Thai would have passed muster.  Edit:  But this ain't the USA or Canada...

I always find it humorous that the people who know the least about a subject are the first to throw shade.  You CAN get an education visa in Thailand and not study Thai language.  Their are a variety of languages you can study, some of which would be useful outside of Thailand.  I for one speak three languages and learning a forth is an interesting prospect, even if I were to only use it in obscure situations.

Just now, forrwhat said:

I always find it humorous that the people who know the least about a subject are the first to throw shade.  You CAN get an education visa in Thailand and not study Thai language.  Their are a variety of languages you can study, some of which would be useful outside of Thailand.  I for one speak three languages and learning a forth is an interesting prospect, even if I were to only use it in obscure situations.

Of course you can study other subjects.  Where did I say you can't?

Little touchy today, eh? 

24 minutes ago, atyclb said:

while holding an education visa i went myself to pay the fees and besides the staff trying to shortchange me (100 baht change 2000 - 1900) things went smoothly. we were reading and writing thai at the school.

555 - I assume, that's not, what the OP is talking about.

The "administration fee", as I learned from some mates, is for "forgetting" that they didn't attend the classes and for not getting tested in their progress and ability to speak Thai after being in a "language school" for such a long time.

In essence: it's about NOT reading and writing Thai at school ;-)

Just now, impulse said:

Of course you can study other subjects.  Where did I say you can't?

Little touchy today, eh? 

" I'm always amused by the policy of giving out visas for people to learn a language that will be of no use except in the country where they otherwise have no permission to stay. "

18 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

Ah I see. Coming to study in Thailand to take advantage of the high quality schools.

26 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

You boast about your language prowess, yet can't even write English grammatically.  "Their are".  "Learning a forth".

Obviously this post is "fake news" as the head of the Immigration dept was in the news recently assuring everybody that there was NO corruption in his department. The folk I know who pay under the counter to IO for a dodgy visa must be mistaken as well. !! 

On 8/25/2017 at 8:32 AM, oldhippy said:

What are you smoking oldhippy?

If you want to learn Thai, and attend the lessons as per the school schedule that is agreed with immigration, where is the abuse?

It is a proper visa!

About 2 years ago at my school this went on for a bit. 

One time for my my extension The school told me I can get guarantee 90 days and no wait. I believe it was around 3500. 

Went the school that day. They put the 3500 in an envelop and printed some immigration name on it and checked my forms then gave me a phone number to call when I get there. 

I get there here all the girl, she says ok come to desk _#_. I walk in go to her desk she's says wait a minute. She quickly finished with the other person there then told me to sit down. I handed her all the stuff from the school. She takes the envelop (stealth like). Puts it down by her legs, opens it counts it. Stuffs in her desk (still in ninja mode), then quickly scans my papers then stamps my passport. Tells me to wait a minute then she went to get the signature on it. Comes back hands it me says "ok". 

I walk out. Check it, all good. 90 days. 

No lie, from the time I walked in the doors at Chang. Wattana to the timsupreme I walked out the doors was 18 minutes. I timed it with the gf because I was saying if I have to wait hours again like usual? I'm gunna be pissed. 

Only happened that time and then some reason they (immigration) didn't do it anymore. Never found out why.  

Edited by ilovebkk12345

17 minutes ago, chrissables said:

What are you smoking oldhippy?

If you want to learn Thai, and attend the lessons as per the school schedule that is agreed with immigration, where is the abuse?

It is a proper visa!

In theory you are right.

In reality  the ED visa users want to live in Thailand while they do not qualify for a real visa.

People do not come to Thailand to learn Thai.

People come to Thailand for many other reasons, and they should get a proper visa based on those reasons (if they are legal).

And while living in Thailand on a proper visa, they can then learn Thai.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

In theory you are right.

In reality  the ED visa users want to live in Thailand while they do not qualify for a real visa.

People come to Thailand for many other reasons, and they should get a proper visa based on those reasons (if they are legal).

I am aware it is / can be abused. But like many / most things here in Thailand it seems the Thai's like it that way as it open "opportunities" for money making.

The real issue is some of the schools are terrible, and what you learn does not help. :)

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

In theory you are right.

Lol. Ok straight and narrow grandpa jones. 

Just like you said, people come here for many reasons. No one comes to learn Thai. 

But after they are here awhile, some of them would like to learn some Thai. 

So to learn Thai and get an education visa to continue live here, what's so wrong with that?? Yes some people don't go to school but maybe you should take that up with the schools that allow this, or immigration to implement a system to guarantee they do. 

"And while living in Thailand on a proper visa, they can learn Thai"

maybe you should be more angry at the Thai immigration for their visas, if they had more options, people wouldn't have to resort to this. 

Plus then they would be on your proper visa as you said, then they can learn Thai as you allow them. 

6 minutes ago, ilovebkk12345 said:

Lol. Ok straight and narrow grandpa jones. 

Just like you said, people come here for many reasons. No one comes to learn Thai. 

But after they are here awhile, some of them would like to learn some Thai. 

So to learn Thai and get an education visa to continue live here, what's so wrong with that?? Yes some people don't go to school but maybe you should take that up with the schools that allow this, or immigration to implement a system to guarantee they do. 

"And while living in Thailand on a proper visa, they can learn Thai"

maybe you should be more angry at the Thai immigration for their visas, if they had more options, people wouldn't have to resort to this. 

Plus then they would be on your proper visa as you said, then they can learn Thai as you allow them. 

You are missing the point.

The OP was complaining that he was asked to pay under the table for his ED visa.

It is ridiculous and hypocritical to compain that the school and immigration do not respect the rules if you yourself do not respect the rules.

21 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

In theory you are right.

My son is has a Masters degree in linguistics from the US. He has specifically travelled to countries to enroll and learn the language locally due to the value of "immersion" in that language. He learns faster, picks up slang and idioms that would never be taught in a classroom in the States, and gains a cultural context that would otherwise be missing. He does plan to enroll in Thailand at some point in the future specifically to learn Thai.

The point being that, in general, your statement that "People do not come to Thailand to learn Thai." has some merit, but it is not absolutely true.