best time to get flue vaccine in Thailand

marino28

Good evening, 

the title say all. I am interesting to get a flue vaccine, but what is the best time to have it in thailand (Pattaya) ?  

I was thinking to get it from Bangkok Pattaya hospital  4 strain for 990 thb (Vaxigrip)

thank you

On 8/28/2017 at 11:36 AM, Sheryl said:

No. In Thailand the peak flu season is the rainy season so best time to get the vaccine would be May-June.

So do not wait, get it now. There is a lot of influenza in the country at present.

Sheryl is right, I just had the flu two weeks ago. Whatever strain I had was fairly mild though.

On 28/08/2017 at 11:36 AM, Sheryl said:

No. In Thailand the peak flu season is the rainy season so best time to get the vaccine would be May-June.

So do not wait, get it now. There is a lot of influenza in the country at present.

Correct Sheryl, (as usual.)  I got mine a bit over a month or so ago as usual, as soon as our local people got supplies and were doing the rounds.

I just got my flu shot at the Travel Clinic at Mahidol University here in Bangkok.  (Hospital for Tropical Diseases.)  I paid just over 500 baht  for vaccine, doctor charge, hospital charge and injection fee.  NOW is the time!

3 hours ago, Unify said:

I've heard this clinic is cheap, but I haven't confirmed it, myself.

http://www.saovabha.com/en/clinictravel.asp?nTopic=4

$13 USD here -- https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

Just now, Tracyb said:

I just got my flu shot at the Travel Clinic at Mahidol University here in Bangkok.  (Hospital for Tropical Diseases.)  I paid just over 500 baht  for vaccine, doctor charge, hospital charge and injection fee.  NOW is the time!

I was offered a free flu shot at Praram 9 Hospital as part of my

diabetes treatment.  I said "No".  I haven't taken a flu shot in

ten years so I expect to get flu.  IMO, the flu strains in Asia are

usually mild and then evolve to harsher forms.  Those with flu

in America and Europe seem to suffer more than what I see here

in Thailand.  We were visiting Thailand for two weeks in 2006, and

my wife and I were sick with an odd illness; low fever, stomach upset, and poor sleep.  We carried this back to Arizona, the sickness lasting about six weeks.  The jet lag did not help.  I swear this is "no shit" but

in Arizona I got up more than once in the middle of the night with the urge to clean the bathroom.  Go figure.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_spread_of_H5N1_in_2006 .

On 8/28/2017 at 11:36 AM, Sheryl said:

The free program for over 60's and diabetics was run late May/early June, got mine at Chonburi.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't trust the vaccine they have in Thailand is up to date. Probably hasn't been stored correctly either. Better off taking your chances with catching the flu. Besides, more than likely it is vaccine made/created in the USA, out of date and for a FLU that is predicted to likely  have happened already last year in the USA. Practically useless to get a FLU shot in Thailand.

The latest FLU shot in USA is created recently for this season, you really think Thailand has that version?

The most current "Northern Hemishphere" flu vaccine is available here, at private hospitals. You would have to specifically request it.

The usual flu vaccine administered here is  the "Southern hemisphere" vaccine, and it to is up to date.

I don't trust the vaccine they have in Thailand is up to date. Probably hasn't been stored correctly either. Better off taking your chances with catching the flu. Besides, more than likely it is vaccine made/created in the USA, out of date and for a FLU that is predicted to likely  have happened already last year in the USA. Practically useless to get a FLU shot in Thailand.
The latest FLU shot in USA is created recently for this season, you really think Thailand has that version?

Yes they have

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2017 at 10:29 PM, Fortean1 said:

Our nephew in Bangkok has either a severe cold or the flu.  He is popping antibiotics.  I told him this was not effective and that it

allowed virii to build resistance.  Totally over his head at age 38.

While it is true that antibiotics do not work on viruses, many flu infections come with a bacterial co-infection and that is sometimes half of how you feel rotten.  If a flu is not going away sometimes a course of antibiotics kills off the other stuff.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, Sheryl said:

The most current "Northern Hemishphere" flu vaccine is available here, at private hospitals. You would have to specifically request it.

The usual flu vaccine administered here is  the "Southern hemisphere" vaccine, and it to is up to date.

FYI that has not been my experience at Vejthani Hospital and now Bangkok Hospital - at this time of the year they have provided Northern Hemisphere without asking - only received Southern when had before Northern became available one year (believe usually gets here in September).  As said both myself and wife had today at Bangkok Hospital and it was FluQuadri 4 strains Northern Strain.

Archived