Balancing a Hatari Fan Blade - Possible?

Daffy D

^ What about personal satisfaction for solving a problem?

The screw idea is the most practical. You could build a balancing jig with a few bits of wood a rod and a couple of razor blades. If you are bored :tongue: 

46 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ What about personal satisfaction for solving a problem?

The screw idea is the most practical. You could build a balancing jig with a few bits of wood a rod and a couple of razor blades. If you are bored :tongue: 

As mentioned to each their own, not for me though.

I'm amazed that someone would simply buy a new one when they can be fixed. After many, many years they can get noisy and slow. Half an hour with a screwdriver and two or three drops oil on the motor bushings and they last many, many years more.  Agreed nothing last forever but... 

Sure if a broken piece of kit is costing $30,000 an hour in downtime, replace and chuck it out but not a domestic fan. Takes less time to fix than to source a new one?

27 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm amazed that someone would simply buy a new one when they can be fixed. After many, many years they can get noisy and slow. Half an hour with a screwdriver and two or three drops oil on the motor bushings and they last many, many years more.  Agreed nothing last forever but... 

Sure if a broken piece of kit is costing $30,000 an hour in downtime, replace and chuck it out but not a domestic fan. Takes less time to fix than to source a new one?

You say it all, if a blade on a 1500baht fan is noisey after "many many years"

" takes less time to fix" - he's been at it for 2 days, new purchase 30 minutes.....

You say it all, if a blade on a 1500baht fan is noisey after "many many years"

" takes less time to fix" - he's been at it for 2 days, new purchase 30 minutes.....

And had he had the entertain himself doing something other than dicking around with the fan it likely would have cost him something in addition to the cost of a new fan.

But again, if a guy does not get some level of satisfaction out out fixing something beyond the cost savings, then by all means he should just go out and buy him a new one.

I wonder how many of the guys advocating instant replacement believe they care about the environment...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

And had he had the entertain himself doing something other than dicking around with the fan it likely would have cost him something in addition to the cost of a new fan.

But again, if a guy does not get some level of satisfaction out out fixing something beyond the cost savings, then by all means he should just go out and buy him a new one.

I wonder how many of the guys advocating instant replacement believe they care about the environment...

It's a fan for goodness sake, as mentioned ( twice ) to each their own.

The best way to get fish out of the water is 1) explosives, 2) Cymag, and 3) a net. But some people like fly fishing. Colin Powell (US Secretary of State) fixes old Volvo cars. He can afford to buy new ones, but he likes fixing old ones. The point of fixing it is to fix it, not to have a working car

51JF9PRPkIL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

Every answer is far too technical. My old upright we use outside where it lives got bowled over by the dog and ended up with a cracked blade. 

I put some plastic metal on the crack and the whole thing did vibrate a bit afterwards. Two large house bricks on the base work as a pretty good damper.

When it dies I'll buy a new one.

?

On 8/29/2017 at 7:38 PM, Craig krup said:

The best way to get fish out of the water is 1) explosives, 2) Cymag, and 3) a net. But some people like fly fishing. Colin Powell (US Secretary of State) fixes old Volvo cars. He can afford to buy new ones, but he likes fixing old ones. The point of fixing it is to fix it, not to have a working car

51JF9PRPkIL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wow I read this book as a freshman at Rutgers 1970!

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

Wow I read this book as a freshman at Rutgers 1970!

Unfortunately Pirsig died recently. The other book isn't as good - although it's quite good - and its got the depressing fact that his son was murdered to put the whole thing in context. 

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm happy that you live that close to the shops:-)

You'd have to be very very remote if you can't get to a shop in 30 minutes that sells a fan 

ps - i'm glad you're happy, that nice.

Edited by JaiLai

You'd have to be very very remote if you can't get to a shop in 30 minutes that sells a fan 

ps - i'm glad you're happy, that nice.

You said 30 minutes to replace, not 30 minutes to the shop.

To replace you'd have to drive to the shop, park, select a fan, pay (this can take 30 minutes) load up and drive home.

Now you have to unpack and assemble the new fan and dispose of all the trash and the old fan.

Good for the economy, the environment? Not so much.

All that said, a good fan can be hard to find.

• 6 months later...

Replacement blades can also be bought direct from Hatari via their website (my genuine replacement cost B78) much more convenient than traipsing around stores such as Tesco who will gladly sell you the wrong size.  I bought one last week from Tesco and thought it looked a little to big to me but the staff insisted that it was the right size, it wasn't. 

Hatari sell all the sizes, have all the model numbers to match those on your particular fan and you'll get the real thing, balancedIMG_20180406_114438.thumb.jpg.77cf2d3c0279d143d8b92a571d1812f8.jpg.