SETV #4 or visa exempt?

Hi,

I'm 52yo from the USA.

I stayed in Thailand for 5 months in Nov 2015-May 2016 on a Visa Exempt plus extension, followed by 30 days in Laos and a SETV from Vientiane plus extension.

I returned to the USA for 6 months and came back to Thailand in Nov 2016 on a 30 day Visa Exempt, extended it; then Laos for 30 days for a SETV from Savannakhet and extended it; then Vientiane for 30 days followed by a 3rd SETV and extended for 30 days.

Detailed Summary:

pre 2010               6x 30 day-exempt enroute to/from India
2010-2014            working legally here on Non-B visa.
Sep 2014              Thailand on 30 day visa free
Nov-April              India/Nepal
May 2015             Thailand 30 day visa-exempt
New Passport
Jun-Oct 2015       6 mos USA
Nov-Dec 2015      60 days in Thailand on visa-exempt 30 day plus extension
Jan 2016              30 days Laos
Feb-April 2016     90 days in Thailand SETV (savannakhet) plus extension
May-Oct 2016      6 mos USA
Nov-Dec 2016     60 days in Thailand on 30 day plus extension
Jan 2017              30 days Laos
Feb-Apr 2017       90 days in Thailand on SETV (Savannakhet) plus extension
May 2017             30 days  Laos
Jun-Aug 2917      90 days in Thailand on SETV (vientiane) plus extension

I hadn't expected to say here this long this year but due some "medium" health problems (not warranting a hospital, not ready to hike the Himalaya, easiest dealt with in my own place), that's the way it's worked out. In hindsight, I ought to have gone for the "retirement visa". I've been living on savings.

My current visa ends Sep 1 and I'd thought of going to the US or India for 3-6 months and returning on a visa exempt with the idea that being farther away for a few months might make re-entry to Thailand easier. Looking at the forums, seems like flying in on a visa exempt may be a problem for me. I'd just as soon stay more local than India or the US and so I'm considering a visa "run" (would probably stay at least a week) someplace closer. 

My questions:

1) Am I likely to run into problems returning to Thailand by AIR on a 30 day permission to stay? will a SETV mitigate that?

2) Am I likely to have problems getting another SETV locally (Vientiane, Penang, HCMC, PP)? Any recommendations? (I tend to default to Laos because it's easy and familiar; I get the idea that Penang is apt to flag me)

3) Anyone with experience getting a SETV from a Thai embassy in India?

Thanks!

You will get another SETV nearby, for example - Penang, Vientiane, Yangon, Ho Chi Minh City, etc - - provided there is no warning remark on any of your visas in the current passport. Depending where, they may even give the visa if a warning remark is present so long as it is not from them. The rules are so fuzzy these days. Bear in mind each of the above embassies/consulates have different rules about what they want you to show them before they issue you the SETV. Penang or Vientiane may be good choices to try it! 

Edited by Essecola
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

You will get another SETV nearby, for example - Penang, Vientiane, Yangon, Ho Chi Minh City, etc - - provided there is no warning remark on any of your visas in the current passport. Depending where, they may even give the visa if a warning remark is present so long as it is not from them. The rules are so fuzzy these days. Bear in mind each of the above embassies/consulates have different rules about what they want you to show them before they issue you the SETV. Penang or Vientiane may be good choices to try it! 

If one has a warning-remark on a prior Tourist Visa from anywhere, forget Vientiane - they won't give you one. 

But given that list, above, I doubt a warning-remark has been given, yet.  

OP :
You could probably do an Exempt entry without issue, since you spent significant time out-of-Thailand between previous visits - but be sure to have 20K Baht worth of Cash or Travelers Checks and proof of a flight out within 30-days, if coming in that way.

Coming in with a Tourist Visa is always safer / easier than an Exempt. 

If it were me, I'd get my next Tourist Visa from Penang, since you already have 3 from Laos.

Citizens of India must apply via a 3rd Party company for visas - not directly at the Thai-Consulate, but I have no idea what the policy is for others.  Hopefully someone who has done it can reply.

• Thanks 1

As a US citizen, I would suggest you get a tourist visa in Yangon or Hong Kong (where you have not applied before). I think you are likely to be red stamped in Vientiane. HCMC is also good, but US citizens need an expensive visa for Vietnam. If you get the visa in Yangon, you have the option of returning overland which is safer from a Thai immigration viewpoint than flying in. However, I think you will be OK flying in with your history, given your nationality and age.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Indeed, I have no warnings as of yet. 

As far as the Vietnam visa, I'd heard that I would need an expensive one, but just pulled up the site for applying online and was given 30, 60, 90 day options starting at something like $21 (plus $25 stamping) as a US citizen?

How is the embassy at Phnom Penh? 

Edited by CyclingLight
addition

1 hour ago, CyclingLight said:

How is the embassy at Phnom Penh?

In my opinion, Phnom Penh is a viable, but not great, option. Standard is 4-day service. Using an agent, 3-day or (very expensive) next day service is possible. Requirements vary, but an agent can help with most of them. Phnom Penh hands out the red stamps quite frequently, even for the first tourist visa from them, if they regard you as having too many visas already.

I note that Vietnam's visa policy changed earlier this year. The cost used to be different depending on nationality, but it now seems to have been rationalized at a low cost for almost everyone. That being so, I would definitely recommend HCMC or Hanoi over Phnom Penh.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

As a US citizen, I would suggest you get a tourist visa in Yangon or Hong Kong (where you have not applied before). I think you are likely to be red stamped in Vientiane. HCMC is also good, but US citizens need an expensive visa for Vietnam.

8 hours ago, CyclingLight said:

As far as the Vietnam visa, I'd heard that I would need an expensive one, but just pulled up the site for applying online and was given 30, 60, 90 day options starting at something like $21 (plus $25 stamping) as a US citizen?

They fixed the visa-issue for US-Citizens going to Vietnam; we now have short-term visa options, in addition to the (no-strings or hoop-jumping) 1-year Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa option - which was all that was available for awhile. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So, I thought I'd report on how things went for me. I ended up going to Vientiane at the last minute they day my visa expired. That was a Friday, so I had to wait til Monday to apply for a SETV at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. They are now asking for photocopies of your Laos visa and from what the copy guy said, it looks better if you have been here a few days; so my Friday arrival may have worked to my advantage.

I got my SETV with no problem and no warning, for which I am thankful. A guy half my age said they had red stamped his fourth SETV from Laos. 

I will post my experience crossing Friendship Bridge 1 to Nong Khai; I had assumed that with a visa I wouldn't have any problems crossing, but the same younger guy said he'd been questioned in the past there.

• Like 1

And a final follow up:

I entered Thailand yesterday via Friendship Bridge 1. I had been in Laos about 8 days and figured that would look better than coming in immediately after the getting the SETV at the Thai embassy on the 5th.

The IO asked me to sing!

An IO in an adjacent booth had a karaoke mic. I nearly asked if singing was in lieu of showing 20k and an onward plane ticket... but I thought better of giving him any ideas. I heard him stamping away and thought I was clear, then he asked me where I was going in Thailand. He was happy when I explained I was taking the bus to Udon where I'd catch a bus to Bangkok. I was crossing with a couple other travelers and one of them reported being asked to confirm their destination as well.

The IO said I had 60 days, and let me pass.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:28 PM, CyclingLight said:

UPDATE:

So, I thought I'd report on how things went for me. I ended up going to Vientiane at the last minute they day my visa expired. That was a Friday, so I had to wait til Monday to apply for a SETV at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. They are now asking for photocopies of your Laos visa and from what the copy guy said, it looks better if you have been here a few days; so my Friday arrival may have worked to my advantage.

I got my SETV with no problem and no warning, for which I am thankful. A guy half my age said they had red stamped his fourth SETV from Laos. 

I will post my experience crossing Friendship Bridge 1 to Nong Khai; I had assumed that with a visa I wouldn't have any problems crossing, but the same younger guy said he'd been questioned in the past there.

Being in Laos for a few days does not give you any advantage in getting a SETV and for them to red stamp the  other guys PP after 4 SETV is pretty normal

Glad you got sorted

• Thanks 1