The week that was in Thailand news: Yingluck may be one lucky ying!

rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Yingluck may be one lucky ying!

unnamed.jpg

After the country had held its collective breath for several weeks the exhalation of air on Friday was felt palpably by all people both in the country and around the world who follow the affairs of Thailand.

Former PM Yingluck’s apparent flight from what passes for justice in the kingdom completely dominated the news this week. One felt that road ragers, ladyboy necklace snatchers, abusive teachers, potential murderers and biting soi-dogs – you name it – all stayed home glued to TV and the internet.

Yingluck had become – in one comedic or tragic Shakespearean fell swoop depending on your point of view – the biggest soap story of the year giving those who revel in political drama Thai style enough to speculate on for many a moon.

Some people asked, clearly in the naivety of the newb, how the most watched woman in Thailand could slip away. There are two simple but varying answers to this.

Connivance or cunning. Though Rooster is perfectly prepared to believe it is a combination of both.

Connivance in the sense that His Generalness may, just may, have been delighted to see the back of her despite his amateur dramatic rhetoric.

However, it would be idiotic to say that not too much was done to stop her or the relevant immigration officers were told to go to Don Meuang because of staff shortages.

Yingluck does not need to pass through immigration and have her picture snapped at the booth.

The news that she may have been aided and abetted in flying out via helicopter in Trat seems plausible and adds weight to the connivance and cunning theory.

Cunning in the sense that the Shinawatra family have a network of security personnel to rival, or even surpass that of the government. And it would surprise no one that those employed by the family are highly likely to be smarter and even better connected.

To wit, I would like to mention a rather telling little anecdote.

Years ago in a previous life Rooster was in charge of a school trip to Kanchanaburi attended by Yingluck’s son. As the teacher in charge of a residential visit for around 100 children I had asked the family through a mediator to be informed of security arrangements for the son that might impact on the other children.

This was promised then, surpris surpris, as the French say, nothing whatsoever was forthcoming from the Shins.

During the school trip we became aware of a very shady and filthy tramp like figure crouching beggar-like on a station platform uncomfortably close to our Year 5 children who were about to board a train at Nam Tok to the River Kwae bridge. Concerned, one of the teachers approached the tramp but before he got very close he noticed something interesting.

The tramp had a wire leading from his ear and was undoubtedly fitted with a throat mike. This grubby specimen was clearly one of several people monitoring our every move in case of a kidnap attempt.

Yingluck’s son, a charming and well-mannered young man was as oblivious as we teachers were to what was going on around us. Sounds a bit like me and Thailand, at times.

Yes, you would hardly expect anything else from one of the richest, and for some, most hated families in Asia. I personally know Yingluck only as a good mother having taught that son so I am not here to comment on her character, guilt or otherwise.

Just to say that her family are masterful manipulators and decamping abroad, and biding their time until, shall we say, more favorable judges are in place, must be their best strategy.

For as Her Yingluckiness was enjoying freedom of sorts her former commerce minister Boonsong and a veritable host of others were beginning what at this stage looks like many decades in jail. And with every mouth of “joke” they may contemplate the innocent white substance that has helped to put them there.

It is vaguely Shadenfreudian to muse that in years gone by that white substance that has led to so much trouble may well have been heroin – now it is just plain old rice.

The whole affair had us shaking our heads in wonder as I don’t subscribe to the view that it was obvious she would flee. At least not so soon.

But I did enjoy the almost tongue in cheek excuse given by the lawyers that Ms Y was suffering from vertigo.

Surely they really knew that she had far to go.

Meanwhile in more court news things at BBC Thailand came to a head – to be precise Jonathan Head. The journalist was facing a defamation charge brought by a Phuket lawyer who seems to be the kind of person that would give the standard disreputable brief a good name.

Mr Head went back to Bangkok a free man after the charges over a property purchase story were dropped. But I must commend him for one of my favorite quips of the week after our man at the Beeb said he “Always had faith in the Thai justice system”.

As another Bangkok journo legend Bernard Trink used to say, any comment would be superfluous.

Rooster is vaguely fortunate to have only been in Thai court once though I have lived in Thailand since the early 80s. I was giving evidence on behalf of an American tour operator who had been gazumped by an unscrupulous hotel in Ao Nang causing the loss of a considerable amount of money.

My friend had booked dozens of rooms for a party of 100 plus school children only to be told on the day of arrival that the teenagers were to be moved to what I deemed as unacceptable and unsafe accommodation nearby.

Once it was ascertained that my Thai was up to the job, the presiding judge in the Krabi court asked my religion. Worrying that saying Tottenham Hotspur Football Club might constitute contempt and, being a devout atheist, I plumped for “none”.

This was a mistake as I should have said Buddhist and could have then have read the oath on the card without more ado. As it was they never seemed to have had an atheist in court before so it was decided to come up with a new oath just for me which I repeated word for word in Thai after the clerk of the court.

Should I lie, I vowed, may my wife and two children be forever boiled in a vat of bubbling oil in the depths of hell.

Gulp!

Wisely I kept a straight face though I was glad I was telling the absolute truth, just in case.

My friend the tour operator eventually won the case though, as if to prove Jonathan Head may have had sarcasm aforethought in his comments about the Thai justice system, he still lost all the money anyway in unrecoverable legal costs.

Frankly, those who complain that the police in Thailand act as judge and jury should try the courts!

All manner of legal reform needs to be one of the top priorities if and when Thailand gets an elected government that is actually able to function. If my grandchildren live to see it I shall go to my grave a happier man.

Happy, at least at the start of the week was the jovial jefe Prayuth who was pictured in Yingluck country with a bewildered Isaan grannie telling a fairy tale dream to a frog, as you do.

Prayuth is a dear chap though at times it stretches even my own personal knowledge of Thai culture to take him as seriously as he would like. After a wisecrack about “side-chicks” he complained to the press that when he is ‘avin’ a laff they take him seriously and when he is serious they think he is being funny.

A pertinent reminder that tricky concepts like ‘democracy’ and ‘accountability’ are not in vocabulary enrichment classes at the country’s prestigious military academies.

And so to this week’s Rooster awards. My “Pub(l)ic Service Award” goes to the barber in Betong featured in the news for offering free condoms with his shaves. Having grown up tittering to the classic Blighty euphemism of “Anything for the weekend, sir?” my fellow Brits will know where I am coming from.

While my “Word of the Week” award goes to a charming young man called Abdullah Abbasi who was one of my notable opponents at this week’s World Scrabble Championships that were conducted in Nottingham, England.

Abdullah, from Pakistan, managed to steal some of my promised thunder and play the word ‘JUNTA’ for 28 points.

A reminder that it is not just Thailand that has enjoyed military rule…..

Rooster

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-27

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Former PM Yingluck’s apparent flight from what passes for justice in the kingdom completely dominated the news this week.

The "what passes for justice" that hooked me in, but I have to say I enjoyed reading your very pertinent and humorous observations across the board.

Right down to the highly concomitant Scrabble one with a great sense of irony in the 28 points.

I think your post scores a fair few points too. A Shin in jail in Thailand? When is that going to happen?:cheesy:

Those who took the piss in the ranks below don't seem to have the protection they thought they had.:sad:

Oh, and Law in Thailand? Yeah, Wake me up when that one comes along please, unless I am already dead and then I probably won't care any more.

Only understanding little about her crime/s,  I'm hoping they might recover all or much of the ill gotten gains, give it to whoever justly deserves it and let her roam free.

The alternative of having her as a martyr in a Thai jail may stir up more red shirt troubles.

She'll never be able to return to politics by the look of it so that's ok.

Seeking asylum in U.K might have been because too hot in Dubai? or perhaps the suppression of women there??

i don't know enough details but on the surface it seems good riddance?

Just thinking.

(Re my nick name Goong Ying,  I'm no relation to her, just a common Thai expression I'm told as to what happens to your your eye if you accidentally see that very private part of a lady that's not supposed to be exposed in public.  Anyone else heard of this?)

Edited by Goong Ying

nice article. as an aside, I have also been through the Thai court system. I didnt appear in person nor was any statement made by me, I was in a cell the whole time. The only evidence the judge needed was the police report that was in Thai and I had been forced to sign. Didnt work out too bad, but I had no input at all. It was the word of the police against nobody and that seemed acceptable to the judge. Point being, unless you are a wealthy Thai, there is no justice system in Thailand, its a police state.

2 hours ago, ovi1kanobi said:

Lingluck is anything but a good mother, or wife. she is a coward though. LOL

Oh, you have met "Yingluck" personally have you, so you can actually judge her on behalf of us can you, ovi1kanobi, your an inposter, because the real obi one kenobi who lives in exile was a noble man, and gifted in the ways of the force.

As we say back in Aus, "don't become a raw prawn with me"

A coward she is not, she knew the odds were stacked against her, and decided to leap to freedom, as opposed to serve time and rot in a Thai prison due to the lack of justice in this country under the Junta it would appear.

I call that a fricken smart cookie, suffice to say, you wouldn't have the balls to stand trial, 42 years and 36 years, they copped it right up the kiyba !!! 

Edited by 4MyEgo

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

.......you wouldn't have the balls to stand trial, 42 years and 36 years, they copped it right up the kiyba !!! 

As a self professed " Ausie" if you are going to use Australian rhyming slang, please spell Khyber Pass correctly :sleep:

2 hours ago, Soi Dog said:

I've always said that transparency is just another English word the Thais can't pronounce.

If you wrote it like you pronounced it, then everyone outside of the Commonwealth could (including Thais).

UK  /trænˈspær.ən.si/ US  /trænˈsper.ən.si/ 

I will give the US an edge (this time) for the coherent pronunciation of the "a", IF one remembers "the" rule. For the UK's pronunciation to be valid, you would need to double the second "r" to close the syllable.

The issue is that there are too many --like you-- who think that others are idiots! The truth is that the idiots are the ones who designed the system (S. Johnson from the UK) and the ones who did not maintain it (or resist it) in both count UK. Maybe it is time to buy a mirror, one whose transparency can be activated with a flip of a switch: 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170809140307.htm

And you thought I was "bonkers"! 

Of course, it cannot be done. At the last count, there are about 16 reasons that "it" could not be done. And, yet, they all can be debunked! Of course, it is easier to say that it cannot be done and that others are idiots. So, you can huff and puff all you want, the idiot pigs were and are right! Time to pronounce "transparency" like those --of course-- idiot Yankees (or change the spelling system)! Change? What's that? That's what others must do? :whistling:

"I've always said that transparency is just another English word the Brits can't pronounce."

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

Nice work Rooster.

We will. . . . 

Keep our heads down. Keep as much money in the bank as possible. Have as little to do with "business" as possible. Say as little as possible. Never get angry about anything. Look the other way and say . . . . 

My Bin Rai a lot

with a smile on our faces. . . . Is that democratic or diplomatic? Does it matter?

53 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

As a self professed " Ausie" if you are going to use Australian rhyming slang, please spell Khyber Pass correctly :sleep:

And it's "don't come the raw prawn with me" 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Unlikely. 

No doubt you will be correcting me on yah, which according to my crystal ball you will advise; is the misspelling of ya, which is the misspelling for you or your, just saving you the trouble because I know how much of a swot you are.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

...and  "don't come the raw prawn with me".

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

No doubt you will be correcting me on yah, which according to my crystal ball you will advise; is the misspelling of ya, which is the misspelling for you or your, just saving you the trouble because I know how much of a swot you are.

Oh! you poor darling,  someone has ruffled your ego have they?

So we better tread gently around you in the future as we don't want you to throw a tantrum, now do we? 

Edited by Artisi

15 minutes ago, Artisi said:

So we better tread gently around you in the future as we don't want you to throw a tantrum, now do we? 

Oh contraire, just can't handle those Turks that keep correcting spelling or pronunciation when it comes to slang, especially when they have to Google it, nothing better to do except pick, just goes to show their character.

But your more than welcome to av a go ya mug, as you have been, it would take more than a swot to ruffle my ego, tantrum, you'll be waiting a while.

59 minutes ago, Artisi said:

A very casual look at most of your posts reveals that, while spelling is not a challenge for you, punctuation and capitalization are. Now, can we stop being childish (because it is very silly) and talk about things that matter? Incidentally, when are you going to reform the English spelling system so that most mortals can spell or pronounce English words? :whistling: 

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Oh, you have met "Yingluck" personally have you, so you can actually judge her on behalf of us can you, ovi1kanobi, your an inposter, because the real obi one kenobi who lives in exile was a noble man, and gifted in the ways of the force.

A coward she is not, she knew the odds were stacked against her, and decided to leap to freedom, as opposed to serve time and rot in a Thai prison due to the lack of justice in this country under the Junta it would appear.

I call that a fricken smart cookie, suffice to say, you wouldn't have the balls to stand trial, 42 years and 36 years, they copped it right up the kiyba !!! 

I faced my charges in thailand. and I showed up for my sentance. "facing many years in prison" and was guilty just like her. I could have run but I had the balls to stay. for my wife, son, and love of country. she is a selfish self centered and a coward.

16 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

A very casual look at most of your posts reveals that, while spelling is not a challenge for you, punctuation and capitalization are. Now, can we stop being childish (because it is very silly) and talk about things that matter? Incidentally, when are you going to reform the English spelling system so that most mortals can spell or pronounce English words? :whistling: 

I've been a very naughty boy by not paying complete attention to punctuation and capitalisation (in your opinion) which of course is so important in a casual chat room. But please teacher can you please give me at least 7/10 for spelling and effort. 

32 minutes ago, ovi1kanobi said:

I faced my charges in thailand. and I showed up for my sentance. "facing many years in prison" and was guilty just like her. I could have run but I had the balls to stay. for my wife, son, and love of country. she is a selfish self centered and a coward.

Each to their own I suppose, personally wouldn't do time for anyone, unless I was guilty and knew it, as for her no judgement yet.

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They, the ones who did attend court, were convicted and sentenced, were guilty of serious fraud. Hence the long sentences.

Yingluck faced a max 10 year sentence for negligence and malfeasance. 

She once stated that she was willing to die on the battle field of democracy. Seems that was another of her little white lies.

When push comes to shove, the super elite hiso's don't do jail the do runners. And she is no different.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

They, the ones who did attend court, were convicted and sentenced, were guilty of serious fraud. Hence the long sentences.

Yingluck faced a max 10 year sentence for negligence and malfeasance. 

She once stated that she was willing to die on the battle field of democracy. Seems that was another of her little white lies.

When push comes to shove, the super elite hiso's don't do jail the do runners. And she is no different.

She is a politician you know, and a smart one at that, the fact of the matter is, they are all above us, they all have their escape plans, and they all assist each other when the S hit the fan, and its the needy and poor that miss out.

Never met anyone wanting to get into politics for the people, its all about themselves, you know, deals here, deals there, kick backs, the rich get richer, and the poor get the picture, but you have to admit, Yingluck and her brother did a lot more for the poorer areas of Thailand than any other politician that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Oh contraire, just can't handle those Turks that keep correcting spelling or pronunciation when it comes to slang, especially when they have to Google it, nothing better to do except pick, just goes to show their character.

But your more than welcome to av a go ya mug, as you have been, it would take more than a swot to ruffle my ego, tantrum, you'll be waiting a while.

Or  'au contraire' perhaps? French spelling not your strong suit either...