BBC journalist on trial for Thailand crime reporting

webfact

BBC journalist on trial for Thailand crime reporting

By Agence France-Presse

8c3f9466f7df6c1fbbafe5c52de803d4.jpg

BBC foreign correspondent Jonathan Head arrives at court to fight defamation charges brought against him by a Thai lawyer in Phuket on August 23, 2017. /AFP

PHUKET, Thailand - A British BBC journalist appeared in a Thai court on Wednesday for the start of a criminal defamation trial brought by a lawyer who featured in an investigation about foreigners being scammed of their retirement homes.

Jonathan Head, the BBC's Southeast Asia correspondent, faces up to five years in jail at the private prosecution on the popular tourist island of Phuket.

Rights groups have said the case exposes how Thailand's broad defamation and computer crime laws scupper investigative journalism and make it difficult to uncover wrongdoing in an endemically corrupt country.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30324659

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-23

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable case. The lawyer is an out and out crook, yet amazingly, it is the person who reports his theft and criminality who ends up in the dock. Andy Hall and Andrew Drummond have also been on the receiving end of this most insane legislation. Good luck Jonathan.

'....an investigation about foreigners being scammed of their retirement homes.'         Phuket, Samui, Ko Tao... 

I don't always agree with this man, but wish him well in this case. There are too many vested interests in this story and a can of worms too big to be opened.

"According to the report, Pratuan admitted on tape to certifying Rance's signature without him being present, a move which helped the British retiree's then wife transfer his properties out of his name."

In answer to which, I assured his honour that in all points out of their [lawyers'] own trade, they were usually the most ignorant and stupid generation among us, the most despicable in common conversation, avowed enemies to all knowledge and learning; and equally disposed to pervert the general reason of mankind, in every other subject of discourse as in that of their own profession.
Edited by Bluespunk

The chap is up against it, The PM of the UK May has no balls and will do nothing, the de-facto head of the EU, Merkel has no balls and will do nothing.

No one cares as long as they get their prawn sandwiches...

4 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Unbelievable case. The lawyer is an out and out crook, yet amazingly, it is the person who reports his theft and criminality who ends up in the dock. Andy Hall and Andrew Drummond have also been on the receiving end of this most insane legislation. Good luck Jonathan.

You have successfully analysed where the power lies and whose hand is on the levers of state power.

I would also like to wish both defendants a quick and complete acquittal.

"Pratuan declined to speak about the case on the way into court. He warned gathered photographers that he would file a lawsuit against anyone who published images of him."

The actions of a guilty man. Wonder who else it scammed. 

So full of artless jealousy is guilt,
It spills itself in fearing to be spilt.
Edited by Bluespunk

All western countries have defamation/libel laws, including the UK where the BBC adhere to the letter, but they come to Thailand and think they are above the law.

JH is a professional Thai basher... So som nom na!

Edited by onthesoi

33 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

this law and the twisted way it is being used say a lot about thailand

23 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

All western countries have defamation/libel laws, including the UK where the BBC adhere to the letter, but they come to Thailand and think they are above the law.

With just an ever so slight nuance. In the UK, etc, they have to be lies to qualify as defamation.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good post, though. 

24 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Seriously, you have read the full story about what this sleaze bag lawyer did/is doing, and still come to that conclusion. 

1 minute ago, champers said:

I am sure that Head has been reporting for the BBC in the region, but outside Thailand. He has returned specifically for the trial. He must be very confident.

When this charge was announced, there was discussion that he had to surrender his passport. I am not sure what the court's decision on that was. I recall his defence's argument was that he was South East Asia correspondent and needed to travel to other countries.

But Head is part of the law-respecting mainstream media. It would be a big decision to flee the country to avoid this case. I would not expect that so I don't think you can say he is "very confident" simply because he didn't flee.

Also the point of these cases is often to stop further digging by journalists. The lawyer who brought the case is just the front man for a network involving Land Registry officials, Phuket police and money lenders. They don't want anybody investigating them. It is not all about a guilty or not guilty verdict.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

When this charge was announced, there was discussion that he had to surrender his passport. I am not sure what the court's decision on that was. I recall his defence's argument was that he was South East Asia correspondent and needed to travel to other countries.

But Head is part of the law-respecting mainstream media. It would be a big decision to flee the country to avoid this case. I would not expect that so I don't think you can say he is "very confident" simply because he didn't flee.

Also the point of these cases is often to stop further digging by journalists. The lawyer who brought the case is just the front man for a network involving Land Registry officials, Phuket police and money lenders. They don't want anybody investigating them. It is not all about a guilty or not guilty verdict.

and it will expose not just Phuket to corruption but the whole of Thailand so bring it on 

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

I recall seeing him in some other country in SE Asia, so it seems he left and then came back. He is likely to become a cause celebre if the courts go against him.

Just now, gummy said:

and it will expose not just Phuket to corruption but the whole of Thailand so bring it on 

It will but it may also halt any further investigative journalism on the matter so it does further the aims of the criminal network to some extent.

30 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Correct me if I am wrong. All those western countries defamation/libel laws require that for defamation/libel to take place, what is said must be false, whereas under Thai Law the issue of being true or false is immaterial to finding of being guilty of defamation even if the statement is true. If I call you a thief and you are not, in the western jurisprudence you can sue for slander (verbal statement) or libel (if in print). If I call you a thief and you are one no western court would entertain finding the journalist guilty as the accused thief has to take responsibility for his own wrongdoing.

48 minutes ago, alant said:

The chap is up against it, The PM of the UK May has no balls and will do nothing, the de-facto head of the EU, Merkel has no balls and will do nothing.

No one cares as long as they get their prawn sandwiches...

Anatomically you are correct sir, they are both female therefore they have no balls :whistling:

Good luck Jonathan.  

10 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Correct me if I am wrong. All those western countries defamation/libel laws require that for defamation/libel to take place, what is said must be false, whereas under Thai Law the issue of being true or false is immaterial to finding of being guilty of defamation even if the statement is true. If I call you a thief and you are not, in the western jurisprudence you can sue for slander (verbal statement) or libel (if in print). If I call you a thief and you are one no western court would entertain finding the journalist guilty as the accused thief has to take responsibility for his own wrongdoing.

Well, let me correct you, that is wrong, see examples already given.

19 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Also defamation laws in Thailand are a criminal offence and not civil as in the UK and the West. 

Having been here many years now I see no shortage of these farangs that have been ripped off buying land to develop, buying property, buying businesses etc. Nearly always ends up in tears. 

Especially on the islands you are a target for the local scumbags of which there is a never-ending supply.

Come here, sit a dolly bird on your lap and drink beer. Enjoy it for what it is and don't be silly.

Best bit of advice I got here was not to take this place seriously. Just enjoy. 

Also, get good at hearing no and get good at saying no. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

"Pratuan declined to speak about the case on the way into court. He warned gathered photographers that he would file a lawsuit against anyone who published images of him."

And no doubt he is avidly following this and similar threads on other expat forums with the aim of gleefully slapping a writ on each and every farang who dares to make what he considers to be critical comments about him.

I can presumably look forward to receiving my writ in the post tomorrow, then (Thailand Post permitting, of course).

Edited by OJAS

50 minutes ago, champers said:

I am sure that Head has been reporting for the BBC in the region, but outside Thailand. He has returned specifically for the trial. He must be very confident.

No they took his passport as far as I know. Su Su Jonathan and wake up BBC !!!

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

I've met JH socially a few times and I can assure you he's not a "Thai basher".  What a silly thing to say.