Ex-PM’s flight ‘will not end the fight for democracy, say red shirts

rooster59

Ex-PM’s flight ‘will not end the fight for democracy, say red shirts

By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN 
THE SUNDAY NATION

24c493eb226138200710ab75dc81e003.jpeg

From left: Weng, Sukhum and Chamnan

ACTIVISTS and critics said that former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s sudden disappearance amid the overheated political temperature would not rock the democracy movement, although the way ahead would be unclear at least until an election is held.

Yingluck has been a major symbol of the democracy battle over the past several years, but her withdrawal does not mean the end of the crusade because new players could emerge, they said.

Weng Tojirakarn, a leader of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, rejected the notion that the red-shirt movement would come to an end because of Yingluck’s retreat. The UDD, as its name suggested, centred around the fight for democracy and against dictatorship, not a particular person, the activist said.

“It is nonsense to say that we will be weakened as a result of what happened, because it is democracy that is the grounding foundation of our movement, not Yingluck or anyone,” Weng said.

He went on to explain, however, that the reason it seemed the red-shirt movement was close to the Pheu Thai Party and its leaders such as Yingluck was the mere fact that they had gracefully come to power through democratic means, via an election.

“So, although Yingluck is gone, the fight will continue,” he said. “And although Yingluck has been one image that the red-shirt people have fought for, democracy does not just die with her leaving.”

Weng expressed confidence that the Thai people were well aware of the situation and could understand perfectly why Yingluck had to flee. They respected her decision and now looked forward to supporting leaders who sided with democracy.

Veteran political critic Sukhum Nualsakul said that it was hard to see the way ahead now, because things had not yet settled. But, he said, one thing was for sure: it is too soon to say that this is the end of the Shinawatra era.

“Thaksin Shinawatra was like the soul of Pheu Thai, and he was one person among those driving the democratic forces. Yet, without him, everything was still able to continue all these years,” Sukhum said.

“So, maybe we will see new figures rising up either from the Shinawatra family or a proxy like Samak Sundaravej.”

Sukhum did not think that the UDD or the democracy movement in general would become drastically weakened after Yingluck fled the country. 

One leader was down, but there were many other things that they could hold onto to drive them forward in the battle for democracy, he said.

“But now it is hard to tell. Because of the restriction of political movement and everything, we will not be able to see anything or know anything for sure at least until the election,” Sukhum stressed.

Chamnan Chanruang, a Chiang Mai-based political scientist, pointed out that the incident might not be advantageous to the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), as many people think. The fact that Yingluck was unable to remain in the Kingdom despite her long and brave fight might have a negative affect on the junta, he said. The NCPO might now face rumours and accusations.

“For instance, word may spread that Yingluck had to flee or she wouldn’t have survived,” he said. “This could discredit the NCPO and might result in a certain degree of chaos. So, the NCPO must be prepared, too.”

However, Chamnan did not quite agree with Yingluck’s move. In any political battle, she might not yield the best result when fighting from outside the country, he said.

“Remaining in Thailand, it might take a longer time to fight – but it is harder to fight from abroad. If Yingluck is put in jail, a crowd of 3,000 to 4,000 people could be expected to camp outside the prison,” Chamnan said, implying that the current regime would be put under additional political pressure.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30324989

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-27

I would say that Yingluck's departure will not greatly affect the political situation in Thailand very much. Yes, the immediate symbol is gone, but the ideas behind the rise of the 'Red' side remain.

The simple fact is that people in the north have decided that Bangkok has not served them well. And I do not see that changing any time soon.

Whether another Shin family member steps in or an outsider takes the helm, it remains that People in the north will want to vote for one of their own.

If Thailand wants to progress away from regional or identity politics, political parties need to convince voters in the north that they actually care about their interests, and I see no sign of that.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

As usual they also say that it doesn´t matter and that they understand why all their influentual figures go into hiding after the crimes they committed.

In my opinion there is not much hope for people living in a small world like that, and never realize that things ain´t as good as they seem to believe.

Time for the democrats in Pheua Thai and the red shirts to act democratically and run their own party and movement instead of constantly tugging their forelocks to the rich and corrupt Shinawats.

But can they do it if Thaksin calls it a day and cuts their purse strings?

Edited by Siripon

35 minutes ago, Siripon said:

Time for the democrats in Pheua Thai and the red shirts to act democratically and run their own party and movement instead of constantly tugging their forelocks to the rich and corrupt Shinawats.

But can they do it if Thaksin calls it a day and cuts their purse strings?

Every time I see a post like this whingeing about Thaksin paying money, I have the same thoughts;

Who funds the Democratic party? Who funded Suthep and his mob?

And I never get an answer...

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

All 16m?  yea lock all your political opponents up that's a real sensible idea. This must be a candidate for 'post of the month'.

Lanna guy,  you need to stop supporting this type of activity and these type of people.  She has fled the country, same as her brother ...

Amazing how you still believe she is a sweet little girl who did nothing wrong.

For many Thai people, a role model to emulate is a wealthy, handsome or beautiful person. Perhaps it is a world wide phenomenon, I do not know,  but it is certainly one reason many Thais get conned  in various pyramid/ selling schemes. They believe the attractive presenter/owner.

So Thaksin was extremely lucky to have a beautiful ( and of course rich) younger sister called Yingluk.

Now she has gone to join him in the desert counting the grains of sand, he has 2 other choices among his sisters.

Whilst Monthathip still looks reasonably attractive, she has a conviction for insider trading  staining her record so Yaowapa  may be a better bet.

However certain rumours about irregularities  have dogged her career and quite frankly Yaowapa lacks any tangible beauty.

So once again her boring but amiable husband may be brought out to carry the flag.

If he wins, will he get a chance to actually sit in the PM chair at Government House this time?

monthathip.jpg

Yaowapa.jpg

somchai.jpg

4 minutes ago, Siripon said:

For many Thai people, a role model to emulate is a wealthy, handsome or beautiful person. Perhaps it is a world wide phenomenon, I do not know,  but it is certainly one reason many Thais get conned  in various pyramid/ selling schemes. They believe the attractive presenter/owner.

So Thaksin was extremely lucky to have a beautiful ( and of course rich) younger sister called Yingluk.

Now she has gone to join him in the desert counting the grains of sand, he has 2 other choices among his sisters.

Whilst Monthathip still looks reasonably attractive, she has a conviction for insider trading  staining her record so Yaowapa  may be a better bet.

However certain rumours about irregularities  have dogged her career and quite frankly Yaowapa lacks any tangible beauty.

So once again her boring but amiable husband may be brought out to carry the flag.

If he wins, will he get a chance to actually sit in the PM chair at Government House this time?

monthathip.jpg

Yaowapa.jpg

somchai.jpg

we can only hope not ....    lol

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Lanna guy,  you need to stop supporting this type of activity and these type of people.  She has fled the country, same as her brother ...

Amazing how you still believe she is a sweet little girl who did nothing wrong.

I support democracy and have a natural aversion to ANY military junta in ANY nation. This is not about support for any one person or any one party it;s about support for principle, ethics and freedom.

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

I support democracy and have a natural aversion to ANY military junta in ANY nation. This is not about support for any one person or any one party it;s about support for principle, ethics and freedom.

Democracy is not cast in stone. It's only a word and a smoke screen.  As I have said before democracy will not work in Thailand as there are too many who want power.  It has been shown many times over.

It is good for Thailand that Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha is in control. Thailand can move ahead toward economic sustainability.

How has democracy improved the US, Australia, Africa or many other nations,  it's just a smoke screen that covers up the corruption, cheating and multinational thief's.  imo

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Democracy is not cast in stone. It's only a word and a smoke screen.  As I have said before democracy will not work in Thailand as there are too many who want power.  It has been shown many times over.

It is good for Thailand that Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha is in control. Thailand can move ahead toward economic sustainability.

How has democracy improved the US, Australia, Africa or many other nations,  it's just a smoke screen that covers up the corruption, cheating and multinational thief's.  imo

Well I hope you now realize that the tired 'ole argument that me and some of the others who have been giving counter-debate is not because we are 'shin fans' or particularly pro-Yingluck, although our detractors like to paint it that way, but we defend the basic institution of democracy. Nothing would make me happier than to see a 'third-way' of non-corrupt, non-military government.  Military Juntas are always a BAD thing. 

36 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Every time I see a post like this whingeing about Thaksin paying money, I have the same thoughts;

Who funds the Democratic party? Who funded Suthep and his mob?

And I never get an answer...

The Democrat Party is partly supported by its own MPs paying 10% of their salary to the party. Also various businessmen who are party supporters, plus the super rich businessmen who pay every party to ensure their interests are not affected after the election. 

Who funded the Suthep mob? Undoubtedly, rich business and the elite opposed to Pheua Thai.

Let us remember Suthep resigned from The Democrats and has not rejoined. He supports Prayuth to continue as PM.

Until the day the Democrat Party  MPs have to raise their hands when nominating a new PM,  Apisit will not know how many of the Suthep MPs will support him and not Prayut or a proxy of Prayuth.

But Thaksin did not just pay money, he owned the party, lock, stock and barrel. Every appointment, every major decision was his alone. There is no democracy inside Pheua Thai.

This is very different from the Democrat Party where members of the board are selected by MPs and party branch leaders. the board in turn select the party leader.

Edited by Siripon

What a depressing, but fortunately nonsensical, thought! Sounds like colonial era thinking.

4 minutes ago, Siripon said:

The Democrat Party is partly supported by its own MPs paying 10% of their salary to the party. Also various businessmen who are party supporters, plus the super rich businessmen who pay every party to ensure their interests are not affected after the election. 

Who funded the Suthep mob? Undoubtedly, rich business and the elite opposed to Pheua Thai.

Let us remember Suthep resigned from The Democrats and has not rejoined. He supports Prayuth to continue as PM.

Until the day the Democrat Party  MPs have to raise their hands when nominating a new PM,  Apisit will not know how many of the Suthep MPs will support him and not Prayut or a proxy of Prayuth.

But Thaksin did not just pay money, he owned the party, lock, stock and barrel. Every appointment, every major decision was his alone. There is no democracy inside Pheua Thai.

This is very different from the Democrat Party where members of the board are selected by MPs and party branch leaders. the board in turn select the party leader.

"The Democrat Party is partly supported by its own MPs paying 10% of their salary to the party"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I bet that covers a lot of costs.

You have no idea at all.

But, But, But Thaksin...

1 hour ago, Siripon said:

monthathip.jpg

Yaowapa.jpg

somchai.jpg

Maybe they can get the ugly sister to step forward,must keep it in the family.

regards Worgeordie

I would say that Yingluck's departure will not greatly affect the political situation in Thailand very much. Yes, the immediate symbol is gone, but the ideas behind the rise of the 'Red' side remain.

The simple fact is that people in the north have decided that Bangkok has not served them well. And I do not see that changing any time soon.

Whether another Shin family member steps in or an outsider takes the helm, it remains that People in the north will want to vote for one of their own.

If Thailand wants to progress away from regional or identity politics, political parties need to convince voters in the north that they actually care about their interests, and I see no sign of that.

perhaps you are correct.. i mean! the reds managed to amass such wealth to be able to buy their protester and their voters for Yl... it is most certain they will be able to do so in the future.. Besides, they profited so well under Yl's reign.. Surely another will make sure they continue to amass more wealth at the expense of the people.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

will not end the fight for democracy, say red shirts

Oh? You are fighting for "democracy"? That's a worthy and selfless goal, and it's so much more righteous than directing thugs to kill and maim innocents for something as nasty as power and privilege.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"The Democrat Party is partly supported by its own MPs paying 10% of their salary to the party"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I bet that covers a lot of costs.

You have no idea at all.

But, But, But Thaksin...

Today the Pheua Thai MPs who are capable of looking after themselves are said to be considering defections. Those dependent on Thaksin are waiting to see if he will continue to fund the party.

I suppose it is possible that the various PTP-factions may split, if funding were withdrawn, or that individual members might look for a better deal, but I'd hope that an independent populist-party might finally emerge from the rubble ?

Sooner or later, it has to happen  ...  In the fullness of time, after due consideration, when appropriate study has been carried-out, at the right juncture. :whistling:

And after an awful lot of behind-the-scenes haggling  ...  TiT. :wink:

48 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I suppose it is possible that the various PTP-factions may split, if funding were withdrawn, or that individual members might look for a better deal, but I'd hope that an independent populist-party might finally emerge from the rubble ?

Sooner or later, it has to happen  ...  In the fullness of time, after due consideration, when appropriate study has been carried-out, at the right juncture. :whistling:

And after an awful lot of behind-the-scenes haggling  ...  TiT. :wink:

Well said, Sir Humphrey!

:laugh:

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Would you please be so kind to explain what the care of the Shins for the North an Northeast exactly means, besides garnering votes?

the bank of Thailand along with the World bank and all forms of external investment in Thailand, multinational corporations and of course the Chi Comms will look the other way as long as CP's 7/11 supply chain is unbroken.

6 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Fundamentally, I would agree with that first sentence.

However, Thailand is the first country I have lived in where democracy is blatantly abused - and maybe many of the citizens are not yet ready for democracy; especially those who believe Yingluk is a good 'un because she set the rice price at 20 Baht.

All the democracy in the world will not help anyone who can accept that Yingluk is guilty of the rice scam charges laid before her.