How to address mail for Jersey?

Monomial

I am trying to figure out how to address a package being sent to Jersey for Thailand Post. What do I put down as the country? I know it will be delivered by Royal Mail, so does that mean I should put the country as United Kingdom? Or should I leave the country as Jersey, and will the postal clerk be able to figure that out?

Has anyone ever sent something to Jersey before through Thailand Post, and can anyone give me an example of how I should address my package so that it will route correctly?

Thanks for any assistance.

Just put United Kingdom after the postcode.

You can put Jersey between the town and postcode if you wish, but the postcode will route it correctly once in the UK.

something like this:-

Mr Q W Erty

123 Dog Road

St Helier

Jersey

JE22 1BS

United Kingdom

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I saw that too, but without "United Kingdom" it's going nowhere, evidently Jersey Post don't expect much international post.

Yes it will. Sent many a letter to mum and dad in jersy. Never put UK but sure it won't hurt.

24 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes it will. Sent many a letter to mum and dad in jersy. Never put UK but sure it won't hurt.

One assumes they arrived :smile:

If Thai Post are happy that Jersey is a country, then no need for UK.

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

One assumes they arrived :smile:

If Thai Post are happy that Jersey is a country, then no need for UK.

Yes they arrived no problem. I would presume Thai post would know where Jersey is. But as i said cant hurt to put UK on it.

Sending stuff to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man via regular Thai Post should get there with only the correct post code but adding United Kingdom is like belt and braces and works too. However, if you wish to use EMS, it will NOT be delivered as EMS mail gets handed off to ParcelForce in the UK and they don't serve the CI or IOM. If something needs proof of delivery in CI or IOM, the only viable option is proper courier like DHL.

Just checked and it looks like ParcelForce has finally placed CI and IOM on the national grid. Certainly wasn't the case up until late 2016.

I would still recommend the courier for 101% belt and braces though.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I saw that too, but without "United Kingdom" it's going nowhere, evidently Jersey Post don't expect much international post.

''Jersey'' plus the postcode is a perfectly legitimate address. The Channel Islands are NOT part of the United Kingdom, but they do receive a lot of post from all over the globe. Many middle east expats bank there as I once did.

18 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

UNITED KINGDOM in large letters at bottom of address and let the adults of the Royal Mail sort it out. I would also affix an AIR MAIL sticker in a prominent position assuming the appropriate tariff been paid.

Adults of Royal mail are you having a laugh!

15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Many middle east expats bank there as I once did.

Duh, you just pushed a button in my jaded brain :smile:

Lloyds Bank International have this as their address on their website :-

25 New St, St. Helier, St Helier, Jersey JE4 8RG, United Kingdom

I bank with the IOM branch which also has United Kingdom in the address (Both are actually Crown Dependencies).

There's only one Isle of Man (as far as I'm aware) but there's at least one Jersey in the Good 'Ole US of A which could lead to misdirection.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Sending stuff to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man via regular Thai Post should get there with only the correct post code but adding United Kingdom is like belt and braces and works too. However, if you wish to use EMS, it will NOT be delivered as EMS mail gets handed off to ParcelForce in the UK and they don't serve the CI or IOM. If something needs proof of delivery in CI or IOM, the only viable option is proper courier like DHL.

Just checked and it looks like ParcelForce has finally placed CI and IOM on the national grid. Certainly wasn't the case up until late 2016.

I would still recommend the courier for 101% belt and braces though.

I am still waiting for a registered EMS to arrive in Jersey - the tracking no. shows it has been at GBLALA (which I understand is effectively the Heathrow sorting office unless anybody knows different) since its arrival on 6th August and then a further entry at the same place on the 8th. No movement since :sad:And yes it has UK on it.

''Jersey'' plus the postcode is a perfectly legitimate address. The Channel Islands are NOT part of the United Kingdom, but they do receive a lot of post from all over the globe. Many middle east expats bank there as I once did.

I'd worry the Thai side lads saying "Jersey, arai na?" Then then another chiming in "New Jersey, same same SopranOH chai mai?

Then toss it into the USA Airmail bucket.

10 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I'd worry the Thai side lads saying "Jersey, arai na?" Then then another chiming in "New Jersey, same same SopranOH chai mai?

You worry too much. The postcodes for the Channel Islands are unique to those islands. And I'm sure the Suvarnabhumi Mail Centre  is as advanced as any in the world and is perfectly capable identifying the correct destination.

Most mail is sorted automatically nowadays.

50 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

This is what I think too. Put UNITED KINGDOM on it for sure: it's not the European side that will be confused, it's the Thai side.

There is no downside at all in putting "United Kingdom" on it: at worst it's neutral, and at best ensures your mail at least goes to the right continent-so do it!

I have had banks in the Isle of Man and Jersey, and always write "United Kingdom" on all mailed correspondence.

23 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Similar experience with mail to Guernsey. It confused the hell out of the Thai post office master....

Channel Islands... is this Ireland or Iceland? :shock1:

On 8/27/2017 at 8:06 PM, Moonlover said:

You worry too much. The postcodes for the Channel Islands are unique to those islands. And I'm sure the Suvarnabhumi Mail Centre  is as advanced as any in the world and is perfectly capable identifying the correct destination.

Most mail is sorted automatically nowadays.

The Suvarnabhumi crowd may be on the ball but it's the sorters at Laksi post office that may be a bit more challenged.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The Suvarnabhumi crowd may be on the ball but it's the sorters at Laksi post office that may be a bit more challenged.

The sorters at Laksi post office will immediately recognize the package as 'non domestic' and put it in the container bound for Suvarnabhumi.

I have even followed this happening, by time and date, on the Thai Post 'track and trace' website.