buy a real copy of Windows 10 in Pattaya?

mitebbots

On 8/28/2017 at 8:22 AM, wump said:

Loads of online sellers. Paying a minimum of 4k Baht for an operating system that practically shows you an ad during EVERY startup is just plain silly. With all the spying and the ads it should be free anyway.

What ads are shown during startup ?

I would never pay 4000 for license , then yo might as well buy a new computer with preinstalled OS.  If your friend machine is a Vista I can almost guarantee you it will not work or be extremely slow. They were produced 12 years ago :shock1:

1 hour ago, balo said:

I would never pay 4000 for license , then yo might as well buy a new computer with preinstalled OS.  If your friend machine is a Vista I can almost guarantee you it will not work or be extremely slow. They were produced 12 years ago :shock1:

Of course this is nonsense.  First of all it has been ten and a half years since it was introduced. Secondly, it's a big leap to assume that the machine was purchased when Vista was first introduced.

Thirdly the laptop I use on a daily basis, was purchased with Vista installed, In September of 2009.  At the time it had 2GB of RAM and HDD. Now it has 4GB of RAM and SSD. It is most certainly not slow.

Fourthly, I have a Netbook with a single core ATOM N270 processor, from 2008. Sold with XP or Linux at the time. That is now running Windows 7 Pro on 1.5GB and SSD.

So a machine from the Vista period and earlier is still capable of running Windows 10 with ease.

In fact I have an even older ACER I bought in Thailand, Feb 2007 and that is running Windows 10 Pro 32 bit on 2GB of RAM/HDD. Fine for browsing.

I have a source for Windows 8 Pro keys for ±700 baht, then free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (still working)

I've been working IT for over 20 years now and Windows 10 is hands down the best version (up to you if you prefer OSX or Linux), I have it on my 4 computers and 2 laptops here since day 1 + upgraded 100s of people on it since it came out and still have not heard anything bad from anyone.

my friend was having technical issues with some app on Windows 7, told him to update but he saying 10 was garbage because someone else told him (usually how much they know about it) and I upgraded him.. now absolutely no problem, he loves it.

of course if you run Windows 10 with the Metro UI it's trash, first thing I do is get rid of that junk by installing "Classic Start Menu"

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:22 AM, wump said:

Loads of online sellers. Paying a minimum of 4k Baht for an operating system that practically shows you an ad during EVERY startup is just plain silly. With all the spying and the ads it should be free anyway.

Telling this shows that you don't know Windows 10, or you have it but you don't know how to protect your privacy ; it is very easy, look on Internet how to configure windows 10,

and no ads at all, of course ...

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, KneeDeep said:

[... snipped ...]

So a machine from the Vista period and earlier is still capable of running Windows 10 with ease.

In fact I have an even older ACER I bought in Thailand, Feb 2007 and that is running Windows 10 Pro 32 bit on 2GB of RAM/HDD. Fine for browsing.

In my experience in 2009 and earlier a relative cheap machine could be equipped with much more surprising functionality at that time than covered by official specs written down on paper.  Later in time the actual functionality of some of the components have been limited, so tend follow the specs more accurately.

There is no need to pay for an upgrade to Windows 10 because Microsoft is still giving the upgrade away for free at this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)()

I've upgraded several machines that way and it doesn't matter whether you are using the "assistive  technologies" functions in your O/S or not.

15 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

There is no need to pay for an upgrade to Windows 10 because Microsoft is still giving the upgrade away for free at this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)()

I've upgraded several machines that way and it doesn't matter whether you are using the "assistive  technologies" functions in your O/S or not.

From Vista?

On 02/09/2017 at 5:24 AM, mitebbots said:

from my experience, buying from MS is more expensive than buying an OEM copy from a shop. My buddy is not in shape to do any PC work at this point. Man, I wish there was something I could do.

thanks for all the input!

off to Koh Kood monday

Are you not able to do the installation for him? It won't cost anything to install genuine Windows 7 or 10, but of course there will be the backing up of important data in order to facilitate a clean install.

Archived