Thailand pleased with Colombia's adaptation to drug approach

webfact

Thailand pleased with Colombia's adaptation to drug approach

BANGKOK, 28 August 2017 (NNT) – Thailand is pleased to learn that Colombia has decided to utilize Thailand's approach on tackling narcotics through the use of royal wisdom, says the Prime Minister, stressing on the country's effective approach to suppress narcotics. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha was delighted to learn that Columbia has decided to adapt the royal teachings to solve the country's narcotic problems. The decision was reached after a visit from high-level executives of Columbia to the Doi Tung alternative development project and the forest planting project to mitigate flood disasters in Chaing Rai province. 

Colombia currently faces the problem of coca planting which is the main ingredient to be made into cocaine. The country now has 150,000 hectare of coca crops. Accomplishments from the Doi Tung royal development project will be adapted to promote the transition from coca planting to other economic crops. 

The Doi Tung project succeeded in converting opium growers to farm other plants which had helped Thais and ethnic minorities achieve a better quality of life, along with the promotion of education in the local areas. The project has been praised by UNODC for its success and accomplishments in these aspects. 

The Prime Minister has said the government will address the narcotic issue as a national agenda by adopting the health approach that focuses on improving the health of drug users and adhere to the human rights principles, while working with the communities to create drug free villages and streamlining the narcotics control law into a single bill to ensure better efficiency. 

The same approach from the Doi Tung royal project has also been adopted in other countries including Myanmar, Afghanistan, and Indonesia.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-08-28

And maybe Colombia can teach Thailand how to go from failed state to a booming economy. It's what happens when the people who   'genuinely' love their country say, "enough is enough" and work to fix it. 

Edited by rkidlad

I was curiously as to where this has come from. From what I can see from Google its from an article in May from a web site called Brookings. While it talks about Thailand's success in eradicating poppy cultivation and how it achieved this, the article says

"However, conditions in Thailand were uniquely auspicious. Drug cultivation in Thailand was limited—in fact, an order of magnitude lower than in many other countries that have to contend with drug crop cultivation. It mostly hovered only at about 10,000 hectares of poppy, peaking in 1965 when about 18,000 hectares were under opium poppy cultivation. That is a small fraction of the 159,000 hectares cultivated in Colombia in 2015."

I did I hear somebody say what about Yaba.

Edited by tso310
grammar

4 hours ago, tso310 said:

I was curiously as to where this has come from. From what I can see from Google its from an article in May from a web site called Brookings. While it talks about Thailand's success in eradicating poppy cultivation and how it achieved this, the article says

"However, conditions in Thailand were uniquely auspicious. Drug cultivation in Thailand was limited—in fact, an order of magnitude lower than in many other countries that have to contend with drug crop cultivation. It mostly hovered only at about 10,000 hectares of poppy, peaking in 1965 when about 18,000 hectares were under opium poppy cultivation. That is a small fraction of the 159,000 hectares cultivated in Colombia in 2015."

I did I hear somebody say what about Yaba.

Absolutely, poppy cultivation was done at the hill tribe / subsistence farmer level. The lucrative smuggling was done by state actors (police / politicians) thus when the state decided to move on to other revenue streams (under U.S. pressure), poppies became history.

Contrast this to the industrial scale narco-gangs of Colombia who run whole regions of the country as a shadow state administration. This, as you point out, is far more similar to the industrial scale amphetamine production and dealing done in Shan State / Thailand.

Incidentally, good to see 2 spellings of Colombia in the article keeping up the Thai journalist's habit of confusing countries with other districts / other countries and spelling them incorrectly. Austria/Australia anyone?

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Absolutely, poppy cultivation was done at the hill tribe / subsistence farmer level. The lucrative smuggling was done by state actors (police / politicians) thus when the state decided to move on to other revenue streams (under U.S. pressure), poppies became history.

Contrast this to the industrial scale narco-gangs of Colombia who run whole regions of the country as a shadow state administration. This, as you point out, is far more similar to the industrial scale amphetamine production and dealing done in Shan State / Thailand.

Incidentally, good to see 2 spellings of Colombia in the article keeping up the Thai journalist's habit of confusing countries with other districts / other countries and spelling them incorrectly. Austria/Australia anyone?

Because of the narco scene in Columbia and Mexico, it's a very dangerous place to live.  Thailand is very safe comparatively.

9 hours ago, joeyg said:

Any attempt to restrict illegal drug consumption is a good thing.

Yes, sure, as you can see, it works very well ! Never in history there was as much drugs circulating in the world as now ! what a success ! hahahaha.... I can't believe that someone could be so stupid to still think like 50 years ago...

Even all the old men that I know have now improved to avoid being so ridiculous and outdated !

15 hours ago, rkidlad said:

And maybe Colombia can teach Thailand how to go from failed state to a booming economy. It's what happens when the people who   'genuinely' love their country say, "enough is enough" and work to fix it. 

Thailand's GDP-growth is currently over-3%, higher than the USA and double that of the UK, would you also describe them both as being  "Failed state"  economies ? :whistling:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/332051/gross-domestic-product-gdp-growth-rate-in-thailand/

4 minutes ago, mok199 said:

i dont think thailands drug problem comes from anything grown,thailands drug of choice is cooked in a lab with poisons and toxins..

Exactly and the main ingredients to cook those drugs came from thai hospitals they found out last year.

I hope that canal is closed now.

A few years back there were nearly daily reports of Iranians flying back to their home country and caught at the airport smuggling kilos of a synthetic drug (I think it was called ice).  Happened so often one might get the impression the were selling it at the duty-free.  :biggrin: 

Of course it could have been manufactured in a neighboring country and trafficked to Thailand overland.

I haven't heard about this lately -- has it stopped, or is it that the reporting has stopped?

I think Prayut's statement is simply sycophantic.

9 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Thailand's GDP-growth is currently over-3%, higher than the USA and double that of the UK, would you also describe them both as being  "Failed state"  economies ? :whistling:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/332051/gross-domestic-product-gdp-growth-rate-in-thailand/

I said failed state. Not failed state economy. 

Don't misrepresent my quotes. 

10 hours ago, bbpbbp said:

Yes, sure, as you can see, it works very well ! Never in history there was as much drugs circulating in the world as now ! what a success ! hahahaha.... I can't believe that someone could be so stupid to still think like 50 years ago...

Even all the old men that I know have now improved to avoid being so ridiculous and outdated !

Never said it was successful.  I said any attempt to fix the problem was a step in the right direction.  "I can't believe that someone could be so stupid to still think like 50 years ago..."  I'm not stupid either.  You have me confused with your mother.

10 hours ago, Thian said:

Exactly and the main ingredients to cook those drugs came from thai hospitals they found out last year.

I hope that canal is closed now.

Hope you're right.  I've seen up close and personal the damage caused by ice.

10 hours ago, bbpbbp said:

Poppy cock :smile:

6 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Then try to make it clearer what you're trying to convey ? :wink:

I did. By not uttering the words "Failed-state-economy". You said that. Not me.

Again, be careful when quoting people. Misrepresentation of quotes is against forum rules, and more importantly, common decency. 

Just now, rkidlad said:

Again, be careful when quoting people. Misrepresentation of quotes is against forum rules, and more importantly, common decency. 

It is against forum rules to discuss moderation policy in the open forum as well.

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Sorry then, it was a genuine misunderstanding, when you said  "And maybe Colombia can teach Thailand how to go from failed state to a booming economy", I thought you were referring to the economy.

2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Thailand the hub of 'no-drugs' should be hailed as the world leader in this aspect. Why not hold an international conference?  It's really heart-warming that the problem has been solved here!

Sarcasm doesn't help.  Drug abuse is a world wide epidemic.  Anything that is an attempt to reduce it is a positive thing.

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

Sarcasm doesn't help.  Drug abuse is a world wide epidemic.  Anything that is an attempt to reduce it is a positive thing.

Don't you think that it's pretty arrogant of Thailand to claim that Colombia is using Thailand as a role model?  it's absurd but, obviously, anything to reduce this evil is good. Legalize soft drugs, concentrate on the 'Mr Bigs' etc. etc. 

5 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Don't you think that it's pretty arrogant of Thailand to claim that Colombia is using Thailand as a role model?  it's absurd but, obviously, anything to reduce this evil is good. Legalize soft drugs, concentrate on the 'Mr Bigs' etc. etc. 

No.

32 minutes ago, bobbin said:

joeyg.. you are going to have to get used to the fact that the pendulum is swinging against you. Idealogy aside, there is no rational argument to be made for continuing failed policies.

Thank you for your opinion.