Best place to go for motorbike license in BKK?

bkk7

I have my medical certificate from a local clinic here, my residency affidavit from the US embassy, my F class visa and my permit to stay stamp in my passport (forgetting anything? is that right?). i also have a valid regular driver's license from the US (not motorbike), so if it's easier to do both at the same time... i would not mind (by the way... if you have both, are they one single license card?) paying for both. i just assumed it wouldn't help to have it for the motorbike license.

i've searched on the internet and saw posts on here about which documents i need (and i think i got that right in my sentence above), but i didn't see anything about locations, especially best locations. i can go anywhere in BKK that would be the easiest location to deal with and get it done quickly. also, does it need to be during the week? or is Saturday ok?

thanks!

Pretty sure you will  need two of everything two COR  two medical certs.

You will have to do computer based theory test and a quick drive around for your bike licence as you dont have it on home country licence.

Edited by jeab1980

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

My 5 year Thai DL is due for renewal soon... 

Do the DLT combine licenses on one card for both Bike and Car ?

And.. If the DLT do combine both Bike and Car licenses on one card - what of my 5 year Car license but just a first bike license ?

(this would be my first Bike license). 

No they dont its two seperate licences

You will have to do computer based theory test and a quick drive around for your bike licence as you dont have it on home country licence.

Nah you only need one medical certificate and one residency certificate. I got my licences in March.

Depends where you live in BKK. If on near Sukhumvit then just past Sukhumvit Soi 99. Dept of land transport. I believe written etc tests in the morning , practical tests in the PM. But you might get lucky if you arrive at 7:00 AM to get in the queue.

I suggest that you do the "easy part" first and get your US car license converted.

That only involves a physical (eye/reaction) test and maybe watching some video.

No written (computer based multiple choice) or practical test.

Even this procedure can take half a day or more.

At this occasion you can ask for the practical handling of the motorcycle license that you have to do from scratch.

I don't know the situation at the Bangkok DLTs, but for me I had to wait 3 weeks(!) for appointment and the procedure stretched over two days.

Sure it might be better at the Bangkok DLTs, but queues seem to be heavy everywhere.

The written test requires preparation. Not all questions are easy due to confusing wording, unreadable graphics or plain wrong description.

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I suggest that you do the "easy part" first and get your US car license converted.

That only involves a physical (eye/reaction) test and maybe watching some video.

At this occasion you can ask for the practical handling of the motorcycle license that you have to do from scratch.

I don't know the situation at the Bangkok DLTs, but for me I had to wait 3 weeks(!) for appointment and the procedure stretched over two days.

Sure it might be better at the Bangkok DLTs, but queues seem to be heavy everywhere.

The written test requires preparation. Not all questions are easy due to confusing wording, unreadable graphics or plain wrong description.

The theory test is on line somewhere all the questions are answered there. There is or for me was no written test. Its all quite sumple if you fail the theory you just do it again there and then. 

37 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Depends where you live in BKK. If on near Sukhumvit then just past Sukhumvit Soi 99. Dept of land transport. I believe written etc tests in the morning , practical tests in the PM. But you might get lucky if you arrive at 7:00 AM to get in the queue.

If this source is reliable there are five DLT offices in the Bangkok area:

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/

(wish there was an online map)

I can't tell you whether one of these is preferable or it is worth traveling to a neighboring province.

Who has an answer to that?

An office that is open on Saturday?

I haven't seen or heard about.

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

2 residence certificates?! so i have to go back to the embassy and pay $50 more?! that's insane...

i knew i'd have to take some tests. but heard it was 2 days and not 1.

really have no idea where to go though.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

how can i make an appointment? and if i have my Thai car driver's license (because that seems easy to convert from my US license) does that mean i need fewer documents when i go apply for my motorbike license? i.e. no residence certificate because i can show them a car driver's license?

thank you!

6 hours ago, bkk7 said:

2 residence certificates?! so i have to go back to the embassy and pay $50 more?! that's insane...

i knew i'd have to take some tests. but heard it was 2 days and not 1.

There was a post saying only one. However if you dont do both on same day i suspect you will need two. Check with thr DTO is your best bet. Links to there where abouts have been posted

7 hours ago, bkk7 said:

i have not done this yet, but have been studying

the postings on the intertubes.

what i've READ is that if you want to do both

licenses, then you will need two complete sets

of documents -- one full set with each application.

BUT you only need one original of the health

certificate and the residence certificate; copies

are accepted for the second application.

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

i have not done this yet, but have been studying

the postings on the intertubes.

what i've READ is that if you want to do both

licenses, then you will need two complete sets

of documents -- one full set with each application.

BUT you only need one original of the health

certificate and the residence certificate; copies

are accepted for the second application.

As i say it must have changed when i handed in paper work for both they need to be originals that was in chumburi some years ago. Plus lets not forget all DTO have there own critera for forms ect. Best bet is to go and ask at the DTO really is no wrong turns then.

7 hours ago, bkk7 said:

Where are you staying? If we don't know that we cannot advise.

Every journey begins with the first step so get your **** down to the appropriate DLT office and stand in line. 

Apply for both licenses at the same time that way you may get credit for already having a license for both applications?

Edited by VocalNeal

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Where are you staying? If we don't know that we cannot advise.

Every journey begins with the first step so get your **** down to the appropriate DLT office and stand in line. 

He states Bkk in op. Links have been sent for him re bkk offices

Unfortunately the handling of documents and appointments possible or not may vary by office.

I have seen videos where people do the footrace when the gates open, push their way to the counters.

At my office (NOT Bangkok) there is a handwritten appointment calendar where you can enter your name.

AND I handed in the documents at the day when I made the appointment.

This would make it possible to do the paperwork stuff same day.

But as said, only a Bangkok resident can tell how it works there.

Where to go?

As others wrote: name your location (district/ket) and you can get a description how to get to the nearest office.

(addresses in post #12)

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Unfortunately the handling of documents and appointments possible or not may vary by office.

I have seen videos where people do the footrace when the gates open, push their way to the counters.

At my office (NOT Bangkok) there is a handwritten appointment calendar where you can enter your name.

AND I handed in the documents at the day when I made the appointment.

This would make it possible to do the paperwork stuff same day.

But as said, only a Bangkok resident can tell how it works there.

Where to go?

As others wrote: name your location (district/ket) and you can get a description how to get to the nearest office.

(addresses in post #12)

oh man i totally missed that in post 12! thanks!

i am in Thonglo, but i don't mind going anywhere that it likely to be the easiest on foreigners, no matter where in BKK.

it sounds like i may need to go to the office first and make an appointment. sounds intense but thanks for the insight!