Thailand's Yingluck fled at the 'last minute' fearing harsh sentence, say aides

webfact

47 minutes ago, Saladin said:

If I was Yingluck I would have done a runner too, given that her offsider got 42 years in the can, which is a sentence you wouldn't even get for mass murder in the West.

You would in the US!

But the max custodial sentence she faced for the charges against her were 10 years.

From the OP seems she couldn't even face one night in prison.

The same 'champion of democracy willing to die on democracy's battle field" - yeah right. Same yellow streak as big bro.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Or there again, she knew she was as guilty as hell, of the actual charge and was hoping for a slapped wrist max.

Pretty hard to be acquitted you offer no defense or mitigation to the actual charge.

So someone tipped her off, that in the likely event of a guilty verdict she'd receive a stiff sentence. So she bottled it and did a runner. And couldn't give a monkey's.

Classy.

But how could anyone have tipped her off when even the judges didn't know the verdict?

Just now, baboon said:

But how could anyone have tipped her off when even the judges didn't know the verdict?

Everyone here loves to be "in the know" and talk as though they know everything.

But apart from that, all those highly paid lawyers in her defense team must've known their defense had all the strength of a chocolate teapot. So I'm sure they would be advise her of a likely guilty verdict.

But that's all assuming Reuters "secret anonymous" source is correct.

And that no deal was being negotiated of the last couple of years :whistling:

Take your choice - but we'll never know.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I don't think the likes of Boonsoong are at much risk in Thai prisons.He does not fall into the category of prisoner (or suspect) where detention could easily be a death sentence.

Depends. Now if someone offers a much reduced sentence in exchange for information and he decides to co-operate - well then he might just be another statistic.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Everyone here loves to be "in the know" and talk as though they know everything.

But apart from that, all those highly paid lawyers in her defense team must've known their defense had all the strength of a chocolate teapot. So I'm sure they would be advise her of a likely guilty verdict.

But that's all assuming Reuters "secret anonymous" source is correct.

And that no deal was being negotiated of the last couple of years :whistling:

Take your choice - but we'll never know.

So the expensive lawyers left it to the last minute or what? The whole thing just doesn't add up.

Just now, baboon said:

So the expensive lawyers left it to the last minute or what? The whole thing just doesn't add up.

None of it adds up.

Unless they all thought a deal that suited everyone was about to be done; and then it suddenly went pear shaped and no deal meant prison time, so a sharp exit was needed. 

Remember we aren't dealing with mature logical, thinking.

39 minutes ago, halloween said:

How do you live in Thailand, post about the people and their business practices, and know nothing at all about one of the biggest crimes in this country so far this century?

I only know what I read in the papers.I was wondering whether some have inside information or do they just make it up.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

None of it adds up.

Unless they all thought a deal that suited everyone was about to be done; and then it suddenly went pear shaped and no deal meant prison time, so a sharp exit was needed. 

Remember we aren't dealing with mature logical, thinking.

"None of it adds up."

You can say that again. That is unless you start venturing into the Alice in Wonderland territory some other posters are...

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Depends. Now if someone offers a much reduced sentence in exchange for information and he decides to co-operate - well then he might just be another statistic.

You have not understood the point I was making.The point you make is speculative and in my opinion nonsense.

Just now, jayboy said:

You have not understood the point I was making.The point you make is speculative and in my opinion nonsense.

Virtually all of your posts are speculative and based on your own opinion. But you know that already.

Let's see how it pans out shall we. If the convicted criminal decides to do a deal or keep quiet and take one for the boss.

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Do you know who the boss of Boonsong is Jayboy.?

If you do not, I suggest you ask some Thais who follow politics and business, they all know.

33 minutes ago, baboon said:

While each judge might not know how all the others adjudicated, you would think most must have a pretty good idea which way at least four or five of their colleagues are leaning, to be able to make an educated guess as to the majority verdict. Surely there are others experienced in court proceedings able to make a similar forecast.

Also, at some point, wouldn't there be one or more persons collating the verdicts of all the judges in preparation for the announcement in court, or are the individual judgments really only revealed when the verdict is read out on the day?

Edited by kkerry

12 minutes ago, Siripon said:

Do you know who the boss of Boonsong is Jayboy.?

If you do not, I suggest you ask some Thais who follow politics and business, they all know.

Yes.But do you think he was under orders in this case?

I like your well turned second line.Couldn't have done better myself.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What an outrageous statement!

The Junta has said that they did not know the verdict in advance, and I really really, really believe them.

I wonder what the sentence will be for the Junta that unlawfully stole Thailand...

Js

3 minutes ago, johnefallis said:

I wonder what the sentence will be for the Junta that unlawfully stole Thailand...

Js

They have already given themselves an amnesty but who knows what the future holds? As someone remarked, the referee has unfortunately left the field.

insults our intelligence, police saying:'she left while we were not looking'

Actually I read that the Police were all around her property...and what was that pun "what do you expect us to do guard the property all the time?!! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Please excuse spelling mistakes/misunderstanding
Best
HM

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Spot on!

"Yingluck fled with two aides but left her only son, Supasek Amornchat, 15, behind in Thailand, the source said."

Wow, what a hell of a mother! I'm sorry for her son.

Why ?? He has done nothing wrong.  he can visit her any time he wants, when they find her !!

"As of now we learnt that she abandoned all of her phones and changed her cars so it was hard to trace her using the same methods we did before," he told reporters, confirming military intelligence had previously used electronic and physical surveillance. 

But Chalermchai said officers had recently been withdrawn from guarding the front of her Bangkok house. 

"The public alleged that it was violating her personal rights and intimidating her so we withdrew the force," he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30325216

8 minutes ago, hathairat2711 said:

"As of now we learnt that she abandoned all of her phones and changed her cars so it was hard to trace her using the same methods we did before," he told reporters, confirming military intelligence had previously used electronic and physical surveillance. 

But Chalermchai said officers had recently been withdrawn from guarding the front of her Bangkok house. 

"The public alleged that it was violating her personal rights and intimidating her so we withdrew the force," he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30325216

How convenient to wind back the surveillance a few days before the event, guess they even gave her a courtesy call to ensure she was aware of the fact. 

6 hours ago, Siripon said:

They have already given themselves an amnesty but who knows what the future holds? As someone remarked, the referee has unfortunately left the field.

I give myself amnesty for anything I've done wrong also...

Oh, wait, it doesn't work that way...

Dammit

13 hours ago, JAG said:

It could also be said that they are rather good at hiding people who they don't want to be found - a certain human rights lawyer/activist in the south springs to mind.

It is quite thick isn't it. I too am surprised at her disappearance. I'm also surprised at Thaksins silence on the matter. It has crossed my mind that he may have been told to keep silent or it would be the worse for her....

They have plenty of hostages to keep Thaksin quiet, his kids, his grandchildren, Yingluck's son and so on and on...

11 hours ago, halloween said:

Yes, I know they were planning to show up. That was the point, if she was not and the junta knew it, the more the better, all feeling betrayed, disappointed, foolish.

As for your BS speculation, it sounds like self-serving rubbish to excuse a bail-jumping criminal.

She has yet to be convicted. Careful what you say, defamation and all of that. Of course even IF convicted, that does not really mean anything.

Meanwhile this country is run by people, who quite clearly broke the law and illegally seized power. Yet you support those criminals. The only reason they will never be convicted is because they granted themself a far reaching amnesty, one that makes YL Government's amnesty, that was proposed but never actually made it through, look like kindergarten play.

Funny you did not oppose to the Junta's amnesty. A case of benefiting the right people perhaps ?

And you dared calling my a hypocrite ? Oh my...

Oh I know you have me on ignore, but at least other posters would still be able to read :)

It always boggles the mind when people put others on ignore, might as well not participate, very childish behaviour. 

18 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

She has yet to be convicted. Careful what you say, defamation and all of that. Of course even IF convicted, that does not really mean anything.

Meanwhile this country is run by people, who quite clearly broke the law and illegally seized power. Yet you support those criminals. The only reason they will never be convicted is because they granted themself a far reaching amnesty, one that makes YL Government's amnesty, that was proposed but never actually made it through, look like kindergarten play.

Funny you did not oppose to the Junta's amnesty. A case of benefiting the right people perhaps ?

And you dared calling my a hypocrite ? Oh my...

Oh I know you have me on ignore, but at least other posters would still be able to read :)

It always boggles the mind when people put others on ignore, might as well not participate, very childish behaviour. 

She's guilty as sin....... there, I have said it, now sue me for defamation.

Get over yourself, you won't see your darling again.