North Korea fires missile over Japan, sharply escalating tensions

webfact

Japan's response.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/north-korean-missile-flies-over-japan-escalating-tensions-and-prompting-an-angry-response-from-tokyo/2017/08/28/e1975804-8c37-11e7-9c53-6a169beb0953_story.html?utm_term=.a4bdccb69cb6

In Japan, the prime minister was visibly agitated by North Korea’s actions. “A missile launch across Japan is an outrageous act that poses an unprecedented, grave and serious threat, and significantly undermines the peace and security of the region,” Shinzo Abe said after an emergency national security council meeting.

Japan’s upgraded missile response system swung into action, sending emergency alerts through cellphones and over loudspeakers shortly after 6 a.m., warning people on the potential flight path of the threat and advising them to take cover.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, retarius said:

On THAAD not deploying....I read that it takes months to install and then of course will need to be tested before it can be used.

I think I might have misjudged Kim. I thought he was not as nutty as Trump, now I am not so sure. He has always seen the US/SK drills around his shores as provocative, but there are other ways to handle such provocation. Weren't the 3 missiles over the weekend enough for him?

One has to feel that this is a major miscalculation by Kim. I still have a faint hope of avoiding war but I don't think Kim realizes how war-crazy the Pentagon and Deep State are.

War crazy pentagon? The only pictures of kim are wepons tests so i would say that kim is the bigger idiot here and i take the war crazy pentagon comment to be a little foolish.

You get right down to it, Japan does "not" have much of an anti-missile defense right now...and are still bickering over whether to buy/deploy THAAD.   See below 24 Jun 17 new article.

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/800078.html

Tokyo’s preference of Aegis Ashore over THAAD for defense against North Korean missiles comes down to cost-effectiveness.

The Japanese Ministry of Defense reportedly plans to defer deployment of THAAD in favor of an Aegis Ashore system.

The Asahi Shimbun newspaper, citing anonymous government sources, reported on June 23 that the ministry had asked the Japanese government to reflect the costs of deploying Aegis Ashore - a land-based form of Aegis missile defense system - in the 2018 budget.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy: 14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

4 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Trump is quickly gaining a reputation as a paper tiger

If he understands that he has to act now - IF he is allowed t

Trump is a theatre piece in all this, nothing more, Xi and Kim wont dance to his tune so he cant do anything, apart from being a paper tiger and trying to stir chit up

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

It wasn't a threat Japan said,So they must have tracked it's Trajectory and saw it was not for Japan,,,,Just a Fly over, No damage done. If NK was for real Japan would have shot it down.

You've obviously not read the news. LOL. Or just ignoring it.

"In Japan, the prime minister was visibly agitated by North Korea’s actions. “A missile launch across Japan is an outrageous act that poses an unprecedented, grave and serious threat, and significantly undermines the peace and security of the region,” Shinzo Abe said after an emergency national security council meeting."

You may well be choosing to conveniently forget your country's brutal colonisation of Korea and elsewhere, but the Koreans sure as hell have not. Now karma comes back to bite you on the ass...

Very good 4 minute video from NY Times talking "Is the U.S. Ready for a Nuclear Attack".....also discusses anti-missile coverage in the Japan, Guam and Pacific area....shows the challenges in trying to shoot down an ICBM....much bigger challenge in shooting down an ICBM compared to short range missiles.

Click for Video

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If the USA does not react, Japan will certainly implement their own nuclear deterrent. Surely China understands that.

Time for 120 cruise missiles onto the launch site.

Well why not let China sort it out for themselves? They're big boys...

27 minutes ago, baboon said:

You may well be choosing to conveniently forget your country's brutal colonisation of Korea and elsewhere, but the Koreans sure as hell have not. Now karma comes back to bite you on the ass...

The World has moved on from those days

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Well get yourself over there and tell that to them...

Why don't you tell them? You're the apologist for NK...

For me, I don't want to see Japan with a thermonuclear deterrent! Do you?

Short sharp punishment IS appropriate. Explain in advance that the attack is limited and no regime change wanted.

Then FLATTEN the launch site and/or manufacturing facilities with a huge number of cruise missiles.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Kim is playing a very dangerous game of brinkmanship, which shows a total disregard for the lives of people in both North and South. By continuously being provocative, he has to understand that sooner or later there will be a reaction which, when it comes, will probably be the end of him and the very nasty regime he controls.

..such behaviour to me signals he is down to his last few bags of rice..may as well go out in a blaze of misguided glory.

3 hours ago, baboon said:

"In Japan, the prime minister was visibly agitated by North Korea’s actions. “A missile launch across Japan is an outrageous act that poses an unprecedented, grave and serious threat, and significantly undermines the peace and security of the region,” Shinzo Abe said after an emergency national security council meeting."

So the South Koreans  who way outnumber the North Koreans, approve of this test?

3 hours ago, baboon said:

Some people on this Forum have a dangerously long memory, just exactly how far back would you like to go 100, 200, maybe 300 years? That was then and today is today... Nobody can say their ancestors were saints that far back, and we (collectively) are 'absolutely' not responsible for what they did, Sorry, perhaps yes, but it's in the past, forget it and move on.

5 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

So the South Koreans  who way outnumber the North Koreans, approve of this test?

Just hours after North Korea fired a ballistic missile across Japan, South Korea has released footage of its testing of a new ballistic missile, in a show of "overwhelming force."

link

5 hours ago, PeCeDe said:

Some people on this Forum have a dangerously long memory

Not just NK (or SK) , but China sure hasn't forgotten !

4 hours ago, baboon said:

Well why not let China sort it out for themselves? They're big boys...

What has China done to sort this out over the past 40 years or so? Oops...profited massively from being their number one trade partner.  LOL

When money is involved, don't count on help from China.

18 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Just hours after North Korea fired a ballistic missile across Japan, South Korea has released footage of its testing of a new ballistic missile, in a show of "overwhelming force."

link

Not just NK (or SK) , but China sure hasn't forgotten !

That's my point, forget it and move on.

The Irish still fight over battles fought 400 years ago, the English, Americans, French etc. lost millions 70 years ago to Germany, the Jewish lost 8 Million or so. How about listening to Israels motto after the Holocaust, "We can forgive, but we can never forget." Fighting over history is nothing but a fools game.

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Why don't you tell them? You're the apologist for NK...

For me, I don't want to see Japan with a thermonuclear deterrent! Do you?

Short sharp punishment IS appropriate. Explain in advance that the attack is limited and no regime change wanted.

Then FLATTEN the launch site and/or manufacturing facilities with a huge number of cruise missiles.

'We don't mean you any harm, we're just going to bomb you.'

Some seem to want to take the gamble that the DPRK will just stand idly by. I don't. 

This is like a game of Russian roulette. Kim will keep flying missiles till one day one is armed. America says they gave THAAD why did they not demonstrate they have it at this given opportunity.  He will go to war before he dies.