How can an ATM receipt be of use to hackers and fraudsters

watcharacters

They want you to put it in your pocket and throw it away later, not just leave the litter on the ground right there.  

Could also save you 2000 baht, though there's some room for disagreement about it being "fraud".

Crafty devils...

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, topt said:

Why print it if you don't want it.

Thailand has enough litter without adding to it........

I'll answer that.    I have loads of saved receipts ATM receipts  as proof  of my funds received  in Thailand.    I have never received any form or notice from my Thai bank about any funds transferred to Thailand.      I have made several international  fund  transfers but  zilch from the bank so  that I'll  have no issue about having the funds exit the Kingdom.

But I have ATM receipts of 100K's  THB being transferred into the Kingdom.

I'm now  on a minimum  account level  funding  approach due to the difficulty in removing   money from the Kingdom.    MY money and  I want to be in control.

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I'll answer that.    I have loads of saved receipts ATM receipts  as proof  of my funds received  in Thailand.    I have never received any form or notice from my Thai bank about any funds transferred to Thailand.      I have made several international  fund  transfers but  zilch from the bank so  that I'll  have no issue about having the funds exit the Kingdom.

I'm now  on a minimum  account level  funding  approach due to the difficulty in removing   money from the Kingdom.    MY money and  I want to be in control.

So you are printing them to keep for a reason. This means you are not leaving them and ergo does not answer what I posted...........:thumbsup:

Oh and by the way I am sure you are aware you can go and get a bit of paper from your bank showing the inward transfer of any funds to your account every time you make one............Of course drawing money out from an ATM on a foreign card is not the same as transferring funds to your Thai baht bank account.

I very rarely print an ATM receipt, the only (very rare) exception is when I withdraw cash from a bank other than my own as I have had a solitary issue (in UK) when I was debited more than I had withdrawn. Took ages to sort out.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone could see how much you have just withdrawn....  then mug you. 

Someone could see how much is in your account... then mug you.

The information displayed on the receipt 'could' be the deciding factor.

I suspect this is the primary reason. The slip tells what, when and how much. I'm probably not going to stalk you for a few hundred baht. But the likelihood increases with each tick closer to the 20,000 mark you get. Well, maybe I wouldn't, but you know what I mean. As a matter of survival, I've learned to weigh my inherent laziness against potential short and long-range consequences, with an eye towards keeping the appearance of stupidity within acceptable limits. Opinions differ on my success rate in the world-at-large, though certainly not here.

Edited by Songlaw
I figured I'd get out ahead of my enemies.

3 hours ago, topt said:

Why print it if you don't want it.

Thailand has enough litter without adding to it........

I want mine as a record.

I'd like to know why they print them with disappearing ink though.

I have an account with Kasikorn Bank, I have set up a notification via my phone so that every time money either goes in or out of my account I get a message, I don't delete them so are always there should I need them, you also have a bank book which you can update yourself and lastly internet banking :smile:

I think that just about covers it.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have an account with Kasikorn Bank, I have set up a notification via my phone so that every time money either goes in or out of my account I get a message, I don't delete them so are always there should I need them, you also have a bank book which you can update yourself and lastly internet banking :smile:

Just for the record, at no point in this thread did I mention anything about printing an ATM receipt.    I said I have kept them and would put up a cogent argument with anyone who argued with me about transferring money out of Thailand if I chose to do so.    I would argue that money has come into the country via ATM withdrawals from my home country.    I've also deposited money I  withdraw from ATMs  It's a mute point anyway as I'm going to be keeping just enough to satisfy retirement permission requirements.

Golden Triangle;  Within the past year I was told by KBank that some records I requested were not kept past a fairly short time period.   Sorry, I can't recall specifically which records these were but I was surprised about  them not keeping the records longer.

In conclusion,  I gather from the  replying posters that the ATM receipt warning from the bank would have to do with physical theft and not  online fraud as i at first was wondering.

I seem to recall that in Thailand, some of the ATM receipts have your full account or card number printed on them - I know they used to but now may have stopped (I don't have any to hand at the minute)

If they do, that's an obvious security risk.

In UK only the last 4 digits of the card number appear - less of a risk

Edited by VBF

22 minutes ago, VBF said:

I seem to recall that in Thailand, some of the ATM receipts have your full account or card number printed on them - I know they used to but now may have stopped (I don't have any to hand at the minute)

If they do, that's an obvious security risk.

In UK only the last 4 digits of the card number appear - less of a risk

I have never seen my entire account number on a receipt. I have noticed some print first 4 numbers and some print the last 4. 

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I have never seen my entire account number on a receipt. I have noticed some print first 4 numbers and some print the last 4. 

OK - then I may be wrong. My bad GD. :sad:

I do know that SCB used to do this  because i recall being absolutely  horrified when i noticed it! However, I cannot remember how long ago it was and, as i say, I have no ATM receipts to hand, and won't be visiting a Thai ATM for some months.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I do know that SCB used to do this  because i recall being absolutely  horrified when i noticed it! However, I cannot remember how long ago it was and, as i say, I have no ATM receipts to hand, and won't be visiting a Thai ATM for some months.

Thanks for that valuable information..................

16 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I would check those saved ATM receipts if you can still see anything printed on them.

After one year the print has faded into nothing !!

Edited by crazygreg44

8 hours ago, VBF said:

I am the same, I use Citibank USA for my banking needs. Citi Thai does not charge anything for atm withdrawals. I deposit cash at Krungsri for my local purchases

20 hours ago, topt said:

So you are printing them to keep for a reason. This means you are not leaving them and ergo does not answer what I posted...........:thumbsup:

Oh and by the way I am sure you are aware you can go and get a bit of paper from your bank showing the inward transfer of any funds to your account every time you make one............Of course drawing money out from an ATM on a foreign card is not the same as transferring funds to your Thai baht bank account.

Pedantic much?

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:22 AM, Golden Triangle said:

Updates fail on my book as often as they succeed, necessitating a trip inside if I want it updated.  I keep my receipts but take them back to wherever I'm staying and use them later for batch reconciliation (i.e., double-checking).  After that they get shredded.   But, to be honest, I've never found any transaction-related issues with K-bank.  Not a one.