Ships Begin To Fix Damaged Internet Cables

george

How is your internet connectivity?  

337 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Check your connection to thaivisa server here:

http://speedtest.thaivisa.com and tell us your results!

Ships begin to fix damaged cables

TAIPEI: -- Five repair ships have arrived in Taiwanese waters to fix earthquake-damaged undersea cables that have slowed down Internet traffic in the region, but the repair work could last two to three weeks, the state-run Chunghwa Telecom Co said yesterday.

"The repair ships arrived in Taiwan waters on Wednesday and sailed to the site of the damaged cables today," Chunghwa Telecom said in a statement.

"They will check and fix the damaged cables, but the repair will take two to three weeks," the statement said.

The four undersea cables linking Taiwan to south-east Asia, the United States and Europe have a total of nine ruptures caused by the December 26 earthquake off Taiwan's south coast.

The quake, measuring 6.7 on the Richter scale, left two people dead and about 50 injured.

The quake and its aftershocks damaged four of the six undersea cables owned by Chunghwa Telecom, cutting or slowing down the region's voice, data and Internet connections with the outside world.

It also affected business and daily life in neighboring countries as Taiwan is a rerouting point for their undersea cables.

A cable connecting China to the U.S. has three ruptures, one connecting south-east Asia to the Middle East and Western Europe has two ruptures, and two cables forming part of the Asia-Pacific Cable Network have 2 ruptures each.

Repairing the cables is a difficult task because divers must hook up both ends of the ruptured section of cable from the ocean floor up to 1,000 meters below the surface, connect the two ends and test the cable before lowering it to the ocean floor.

Chunghwa Telecom is expected to lose at least 150 million Taiwan dollars (4.5 million U.S. dollars) in repair fees and in lost charge fees which are exempted from the time the undersea cables were damaged until they are repaired.

Because of the incident, Chunghwa Telecom is considering laying more undersea cables, renting a telecommunications satellite or jointly launching a second telecommunications satellite with Singapore Telecom, Chunghwa Telecom Chairman Ho Chen-tan said last week.

Chunghwa Telecom would make a decision regarding renting a satellite, launching a satellite with Singapore Telecom or launching one with a new partner before March, Chunghwa Telecom spokesman Lin Jen-hung said.

Chunghwa Telecom and Singapore Telecom jointly launched the ST-1 telecommunications satellite in 1998 with a lifespan until the year 2011.

--DPA 2007-01-05

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use TRUE Internet provider in BANGKOK

Test at 07.42 PM

SPEED test THAIVISA

Download Speed: 626 kbps (78.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 44 kbps (5.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

SPEED TEST USA http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Download 73 Kbps

Upload 39 Kbps

I use internet connection in apartment with server and splitter in office building.Then upload is slow becouse filter by server and also internet is shared with all apartment.

Edgar

Edited by ede0024

KSC 512/256 in Pathum Thani tests as 442/190, actually pretty good.

BUT

I still get bitty connection to TV (although it's getting better) possibly due to bad DNS.

P2P, both to international servers (UK****) and local Thai servers (EX******) are slow and variable :o

Last Result:test THAIVISA

Download Speed: 430 kbps (53.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

phuket.TOT adsl silvercyber 21,27pm

test speakeasy speed test in washington

Last Result:

Download Speed: 52 kbps (6.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 106 kbps (13.3 KB/sec transfer rate) :D (almost look doesn't want to start,very slow :o

Edited by Reinter

TRUE adsl Bangkok 512/256 circuit

413/206

Have done several times tonight and speeds are as good or better than normal. But the circuit is marginal as every 3rd or 4th time lose server, never loads, never completes load. It took two tries to get speed test both times I did it tonight. There must be a huge bit bucket out there tonight.

Remember ThaiVisa is now hosted in Singapore and should not be affected by the problems if you live in the region. :D

Overseas members will be suffering. :o

I suspect there is precious little connectivity from Thailand direct to Singapore. Believe almost all CAT routing was via the damaged cables and now everything out of Thailand has to take the limited pipe to Singapore.

Straight after the earthquake my connection was ok.didn't notice a difference with before.Since then it gets worse every day.Even Thaivisa is horrible now to login.Took me more then 1 minute to open this page.Had to refresh the page over and over again because it would show only the banner and then stop loading.

However my speed test shows download 831 Kbps-upload 255 Kbps.

Pattaya tot goldcyber

The download and upload speeds do say something, but the "round trip" of a ping test is what I use to test different Web sites.

All US sites that I've accessed give round trip pings of 400 plus milliseconds. Usually between 500 and 1000 with plenty of time outs.

ThaiVisa round trips are around 50 milliseconds. Local servers around 20 milliseconds.

I use TT&T and CAT broadband services. The TT&T is currently the better of the 2 although it's the slower service when both are functioning to full capacity.

Edited by tropo

Ships begin to fix damaged cables

TAIPEI: -- Five repair ships have arrived in Taiwanese waters to fix earthquake-damaged undersea cables that have slowed down Internet traffic in the region, but the repair work could last two to three weeks, the state-run Chunghwa Telecom Co said yesterday.

Most Probably, they are fixing or installing their eavesdropping devices, too

Last Result:

Download Speed: 424 kbps (53 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 202 kbps (25.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is maxnet (Indy) in Patong/Phuket. The router says:

[pre]

Item Downstream Upstream Unit

SNR Margin 28 23 dB

Line Attenuation 43 48 dB

Data Rate 512 256 kbps

[/pre]

Not too bad, after all, is it?

Edited by hkt83100

With due respect, the thaivisa test is almost worthless (at least for local Thai users). The results are always the same ... around 860 down/399 up on TOT Goldcyber. Nearly (or the same) as local sites.

This tests connects to a server in Singapore and gives always good results. The test (or locations LA/Europe) on speedtest.net tells more

meaningful results.

:D

before 45kbps at one or two connection a day ...

now untill 02.00 about 50 ! (really) connection.when have then at 4! to 15kbps

after 02.00 ok-connection at 25kbps

:D

i try 4 different net-card's on a analog tt&t line...

today in the shop they give me a (free) 5hour -card.

:o

i forgot ... > i pay per connect 3 baht :D

khop khun maak

Chunghwa Telecom is expected to lose at least 150 million Taiwan dollars (4.5 million U.S. dollars) in repair fees and in lost charge fees which are exempted from the time the undersea cables were damaged until they are repaired.

Who gets lost charge fees? :o

My connection is on and off, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, just like it has always been, even back in the UK on high speed internet...

These results are from a 2mb(or is it 2.5??) True package

speed_test.jpg