Best place to buy laptop?

finy

Based on your post count, you probably already know this, but just in case...

I looked at buying a computer here, and thought that I had found something reasonable. Then, I discovered that they usually don't come with a pre-loaded operating system installed (Windows), or else it is a pirated copy which doesn't work well.

Caveat emptor!

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Based on your post count, you probably already know this, but just in case...

I looked at buying a computer here, and thought that I had found something reasonable. Then, I discovered that they usually don't come with a pre-loaded operating system installed (Windows), or else it is a pirated copy which doesn't work well.

Caveat emptor!

Yep, I was thinking Linux.

2 hours ago, finy said:

Yep, I was thinking Linux.

A while back Power Buy had Linux installed laptops.. could be worth a look there. (Central Mall)

I'd avoid BananaIT.

One always has to buy a legit copy of Windoze when buying a PC....it has a seal on the CD ... should you choose a windows PC. 

1 hour ago, samuijimmy said:

A while back Power Buy had Linux installed laptops.. could be worth a look there. (Central Mall)

I'd avoid BananaIT.

One always has to buy a legit copy of Windoze when buying a PC....it has a seal on the CD ... should you choose a windows PC. 

"I'd avoid BananaIT."

Can I ask (SJ or any other member) why you would avoid BananaIT? When I was looking about for a new computer a while back, I heard the same advice from a few people. I did go in there and compare prices and they were competitive, if a wee bit higher in some cases. That said, it seems to have a terrible reputation, and I am not sure why.

BTW, the end results of my Koh Samui search was to wait until I visited my home country to buy my computer. I compared prices, software packages and warranty both here and on-line and it was significantly better. And, it included all original software.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll check Jib and Power Buy.

I bought a laptop from Banana IT in Lamai years ago. I think they only had a few legit Windows options. Now they only have 6 laptops in total.

I bought custom assembled PC and Win-OS from JIB, excellent service and fair price.

I've recently bought a laptop in Power-"something" in Central Festival at a good bargain price, and a Win10 Pro OS from JIB to install (piece of cake job).

Earlier I've bought an Asus bargain laptop from BigC, and a Win7pro OS from JIB.

Banana sells laptops with OS10 64bit already installed at what to me seem to be a fair price, compared to prices abroad, and prices for laptops with Win-OS...:smile:

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"I'd avoid BananaIT."

Can I ask (SJ or any other member) why you would avoid BananaIT? When I was looking about for a new computer a while back, I heard the same advice from a few people. I did go in there and compare prices and they were competitive, if a wee bit higher in some cases. That said, it seems to have a terrible reputation, and I am not sure why.

BTW, the end results of my Koh Samui search was to wait until I visited my home country to buy my computer. I compared prices, software packages and warranty both here and on-line and it was significantly better. And, it included all original software.

Cheers

Well, unfortunately, it comes under "name and shame", which we are not allowed to do here!!!

The only good manager they had at BIT was Boyd, who now runs Mnet Store,  for fixing computers... :thumbsup:I know why he left! :whistling:

"I'd avoid BananaIT."

Cheers

I agree. Furthermore, I get a 10% tax refund of laptop cost when departing my home country if laptop was purchased 14 days prior of home country departure

Why not Amazon.com ?

Most laptops / items can be delivered via semi-expedited shipping and they charge customs taxes etc, so you don't pay anything.

If you follow some daily deals, you could end up getting a nice ultrabook at 699 usd + 7% VAT (plus around %1 to the pittnew bowes) + 20-30 usd shipping, which is still cheaper than in Thailand.

You'll also get full english keyboard without thai letters.

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

stick to Apple my friend....you'll never have any hassles and the customer service is one of the best in the world, IMHO

It wasn't a laptop but I bought my latest computer from the Apple store at the Tesco complex in Chaweng. The delivery was slow but I requested a non standard option and I don't think they hold much stock.

They were pretty good when it arrived and helped me set up the iMac before I took it home. I'm still getting used to it but seems so much easier to use than my old windows laptop and the screen definition is amazing.

6 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

It wasn't a laptop but I bought my latest computer from the Apple store at the Tesco complex in Chaweng. The delivery was slow but I requested a non standard option and I don't think they hold much stock.

They were pretty good when it arrived and helped me set up the iMac before I took it home. I'm still getting used to it but seems so much easier to use than my old windows laptop and the screen definition is amazing.

cool...glad that you made it out and glad that you are enjoying!!!!!...

why did you not chose the online apple store? they carry the full line of stuff but of course you need to wait a bit...sometimes quite a bit if you want the toy that has just been released... if you buy from the official store, in case of a problem, you deal with the official apple customer service that is flawless and no questions or hassles even if you have the slightest issue...enjoy the Mac!!!

Edited by observer90210

To these people who say "buy in the USA",  is fine, if you are purchasing in US$...  but most of us are not from the US  would add an exchange rate which could significantly increase the price. :whistling:

I certainly agree that Macs in the long term are better value for money, far fewer problems than Windoze!.. order online through the Mac store, it's a few days for shipping.

23 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

To these people who say "buy in the USA",  is fine, if you are purchasing in US$...  but most of us are not from the US  would add an exchange rate which could significantly increase the price. :whistling:

I certainly agree that Macs in the long term are better value for money, far fewer problems than Windoze!.. order online through the Mac store, it's a few days for shipping.

You realize USA has no vat added to these prices and usd is lower than euro and gbp right? Usa is cheapest market for consumer electronics. No matter which currency you pay, it will be almost always cheaper to buy from usa except some items that are large/bulky and some with high custom taxes to Thailand.

Not in Samui now but I bought mine from Lamai IT (near Lamai Macro) with everthing set up. But you really need to know what you want as they do not stock anything. Buying here you can get a dual character keyboard so no need to worry about stickers.

Bought an Asus from powerbuy last week and it was reduced from 23000 to 15000 bht but they only had the 6 month old display model to sell me. As it had only a display programme to show the specs etc it wasn't messed about with in the shop much I figured so bought it. It was high spec but didn't have system on it so I went to JIB to buy win 10. While there I looked at other Asus laptops and the specs were terrible but they wanted 15000bht with no system on it. But I bought a custom desktop before from them and it has never had a problem. BIT I know of many people who have had many problems with service and products. I bought a ipad air 2 and it had 10gb less memory than expected.

Edited by ronaldo0

On 30 August 2017 at 10:44 PM, observer90210 said:

cool...glad that you made it out and glad that you are enjoying!!!!!...

why did you not chose the online apple store? they carry the full line of stuff but of course you need to wait a bit...sometimes quite a bit if you want the toy that has just been released... if you buy from the official store, in case of a problem, you deal with the official apple customer service that is flawless and no questions or hassles even if you have the slightest issue...enjoy the Mac!!!

It was a conversion from windows to the Apple system for me and I felt that I needed some support in setting it up.

Chaweng Tesco has a large new stall next to KFC and the bagel cafe, selling pre-loaded laptops. (Near all of the phone counters.)

I have no idea if they are new or second hand and if they even have a warrenty.

Pretty girl in a minidress was dancing and giving the spiel in Thai but I was on a mission to buy a birthday cake and so I could not stop.