Which VPNs currently work with BBC iPlayer?

Mario666

8 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

Then, you MUST ensure that you are not 'Leaking' location information.  So when you install the iPlayer make sure that 'Location services' is set to 'OFF' and that you are using your VPN.  Make sure that before you start and run the iPlayer that every time 'Location services' is set to 'OFF' beforehand.  When you register, do the same.  Then the mysterious 'They' can't know you're not in the UK.

Or just clear the browser cookies and temp files. I us the VPN in several countries , not only UK. And sometimes I get the message I am not in UK so just reset the browser fixed it for me.

It is a cat and mouse game. I have a different VPN supplier and have similar problems, I was trying several of their UK servers until I got one to work.... if at all. They seemed to think this was a solution. I have given up on watching the BBC Iplayer, but still get to their live programs on occasion from different sources (who aren't as good at detecting VPNs). I was even wondering about a FilmOn subscription!

I really only wanted BBC world service TV   but  could not find it so listen to BBC World service "radio" on the web

You would think BBC  would want to have its view of the news available to go up against all the other countries news outlets which help promote their countries......Watch  DW news , NHK , France 24 etc

Before I went over to the UK mid July I could access the BBC Iplayer most of the time with my vpn. Since I came back 3 weeks ago I have not been able to get on despite repeated attempts.

When I was in the UK I bought an android box and set it up over there with the apps for the UK channels. I used a new gmail account with no location details and switched off all location settings on the box. When I returned to Thailand I could not get BBC on the box although the other channels worked ok.

I think the BBC is now trying to block all vpn's. If you check their website you will see that they say if you are using a vpn in the UK then you should switch it off.

In the last week I started to look into kodi and found that it was pre installed on my box but I couldn't get it to work and it took me a couple of days to recognise a dead horse. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the app and have tried to set it up myself and yesterday managed to get on to BBC, looks quite promising.

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

yep im using it as casual user as i mentioned on other thread......sometimes its just better to pay an annual fee rather than farting around with vpns.....at 48 Euro a year cant go wrong

Yeh...Don't I know it...I had just paid my annual subscription to ExpressVPN last year to take advantage of the "Discount"....stopped working with iPlayer 1 month later....so far I have used Vypr, StrongVPN, PureVPN, ExpressVPN, AirVPN, Internet Cloaker....all now blocked.:sad:

15 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I would sign up with ExpressVpn right away, don't forget to pay in advance for a full year, so in a few weeks or months you can send them a similar ignorant email.

In that timespan BBC will have found and blacklisted the IP addresses that ExpressVpn uses currently, because they don't want you to watch the streams from abroad, for the simple reason that they have no broadcasting rights outside Britain.

If you are suggesting that I am ignorant then I take offence.

I live in Thailand but still have to pay taxes on my UK properties and investments. I pay for a TV Licence at my UK residential address....I find it Outrageous that I am not able to access BBC from here and that I am also unable to take advantage of the NHS......

If you think that is ignorant then you can <deleted> off!!!!!

15 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if already covered.

The BBC had a crackdown on all the VPN operators and a lot of them lost BBC iplayer connectivity at a similar sort of time.  They're basically blocking any IPs that show higher than usual traffic.  So if you try to connect to iplayer using an IP that 100 other people/devices have used in the last few days, clearly that isn't typical usage and so the BBC will block the IP.

The way to get around it is to use a private/dedicated IP address.  You have to pay for that.

You might still be able to find some servers from the major VPNs that have not yet been blocked.  For example I have found one (free) server on Cyberghost that still works (but you need a premium account to choose your server, without a premium account it's just pot luck).  But it's probably only a matter of time until they block that as well.

Occasionally a VPN company might change servers, so the new servers will work for a while before BBC recognise the unusual traffic and block them.

The only long-term solution is to pay for a private IP.

I think it's harsh for the OP to moan at the company for a refund.  You can't expect them to change their servers every few days.

Harsh to moan...Ha ha ha! I am paying for a service 90 days in advance which I can no longer use...

I don't give a flying <deleted> about 15 euros but I have merly pointed out that there "service" is not providing what I need or expect....If they wish to retain or expand their customer base of UK Expats who mostly want to access BBC iPlayer at some time then they need to sort their act out.

Did you miss in my OP that I was a Software Salesman for 30+ years??????

16 hours ago, Formaleins said:

If I am paying a VPN company for untraceable access as per their advertised blurb, then as far as I am concerned they can change their servers as often as required to allow me access. If they don't, I will walk!

IPVanish change their server addresses in the UK quite frequently - it is obviously just a software thing as they implement it quickly once the Big Black Cloud blocks them.

Well said my friend!

19 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

If you are suggesting that I am ignorant then I take offence.

I live in Thailand but still have to pay taxes on my UK properties and investments. I pay for a TV Licence at my UK residential address....I find it Outrageous that I am not able to access BBC from here and that I am also unable to take advantage of the NHS......

If you think that is ignorant then you can <deleted> off!!!!!

Yes I think that is ignorant, as others in this thread already have pointed out why BBC is not available in Thailand, so not gonna waste any more breath on that.

There are also threads on this forum that explain the reasons why you can't take advantage of NHS while living in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

I don't give a flying <deleted> about 15 euros but I have merly pointed out that there "service" is not providing what I need or expect....If they wish to retain or expand their customer base of UK Expats who mostly want to access BBC iPlayer at some time then they need to sort their act out.

Did you miss in my OP that I was a Software Salesman for 30+ years??????

They give you the service they promised you, if that is not what you expected that means you failed to read the terms and conditions when you signed up, so your 30+ years of salesman didn't really teach you much.

The VPN service you paid for doesn't need to sort out their act, because they never promised you a personalised UK IP address for the price you paid, but your ignorance prevented you from understanding that.

With every VPN service it is possible to get a personalised IP address, which would solve your problem with BBC, but not for the peanuts you paid and expected to be treated as a royal.

4 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I really only wanted BBC world service TV   but  could not find it so listen to BBC World service "radio" on the web

You would think BBC  would want to have its view of the news available to go up against all the other countries news outlets which help promote their countries......Watch  DW news , NHK , France 24 etc

Have you tried FluxusTV m3u list available on their web site? Its got all the channels you mention, is free and requires no VPN.

Just tried PureVPN again (with dedicated IP 78.129.177.126 in the configuration which is automatically redirected to a "nearby" address).

Still working fine (live BBC news and some series episode).

Just let it run a few minutes.

Used Chrome browser where some regarding cookies should already been set. No special provisions regarding location that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just tried PureVPN again (with dedicated IP 78.129.177.126 in the configuration which is automatically redirected to a "nearby" address).

Used Chrome browser where some regarding cookies should already been set. No special provisions regarding location that I am aware of.

Thanks mate...much appreciated.:smile:

15 hours ago, derekwyoung said:

I'm using vyprvpn and have no problems both bbc and itv

Thanks for that... I did try Vypr a while ago....Maybe 2 years or so, but had some speed and connection problems....I guess it's working OK for you?

FYI I am using on a laptop (Windows 7).....What are you using?

Many thanks once again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 3:43 AM, Mario666 said:

I am paying for a service 90 days in advance which I can no longer use...

But you can still use it.  You just can't use it for BBC iPlayer.  It's not their problem that you only want to use one particular website and they have no control over what the BBC does or what IP addresses the BBC blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

The one I used for years when in Aus stopped working in teh summer. I have been using http://www.bbciplayer.eu since and it unblocks the ITV Hub and BBC iPlayer apps for me on my iPad when im back down under. Seemed to work fine when I went down to Spain last month also. I think many of the larger providers are starting to get blocked off now. Abit of a pain if you have just paid for a year.

4 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

BBC iPlayer on Kodi still running well with no need for any VPN.

Which one? tell me please! I really miss those good BBC Shows. all I have now is an old episode of BBC Shows on Australian TV (kodi).

but it better than those crappy thai soaps anyway xD gibberish speaking, screaming and crap.

Anyway you can use teatimetv.to for 1 day catchup, watch live uk tv without VPN and it's free. but I rarely use it because it doesn't work well on my android box.

On 31.8.2017 at 11:42 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Just retested for a couple minutes ("Rellik", "Series 1", "Episode 1").

Still running fine.

On 8/30/2017 at 4:08 PM, jamie2009 said:

If you know anyone in the UK who has a Licence ask if can have the number, you can then log in.

Nope   ,  i pay uk license , and  log in.   BBC i player not available . 

So sad or  words,  to that effect .

Edited by elliss

I registered on BBC several months ago and have been watching regularly. I get weekly emails from BBC and when I click on the BBC logo it takes me to their main web page. I click on IPlayer and watch the programs I want. I have no license and have never lived in the UK. For about the price of 2 DQ chocolate dipped cones a month, I stream BBC, Netflix US,  Amazon Prime, US TV channels and more.