Which VPNs currently work with BBC iPlayer?

Mario666

Problems Trying To Access BBC with AirVPN

This is the email trail I have had to date since AirVPN stopped working when trying to access BBC iPlayer.

My Original “Support Ticket” sent 29th September 2017.

I am in Thailand and trying to access BBC iPlayer without success today.

Until  today your VPN software was working fine, but it appears that the BBC have blocked your UK Servers or maybe you have a bug?

I have tried Dabhi, Minkar, Belatrix, Algedi, Carinae, Minkar, etc. All are blocked.

Can this be rectified?  Do you know which if any are not currently blocked?

I have recommended your product to many fellow expat friends whom I know are also your customers around the world so I know this is not just my problem.

Are you considering using alternative servers or do you think that the BBC are smart enough to recognise when they encounter your software? I doubt that. ... I was in Software Sales for 30+ Years.

Looking forward to your reply.

Reply From AirVPN:

Hello!

We're very sorry, from now on BBC iPlayer is no more accessible from our infrastructure. BBC is probably restricting access from IP addresses assigned only to UK residential ISPs. We're sorry, but we can't do anything about it, because of course we can't rely on residential lines for a high quality service.

We can search for additional IP addresses in UK not yet blocked by BBC, but we're afraid that that would be only a temporary solution.

Kind regards

AirVPN Support Team

My Reply was:

Thank you for your speedy reply but I am not convinced you are trying hard enough to rectify the situation.

I encountered the same problem some time ago with ExpressVPN, which lead to me switching to your product.

ExpressVPN have assigned new UK servers now and I have expat friends currently accessing BBC iPlayer without problems.

I only use a VPN to access iPlayer and I know that worldwide from discussion forums that there are many thousands of VPN users who are the same as myself.

If you do not fix this you stand to lose a large amount of revenue and Kudos to your competitors.

If you do not plan to resolve this then I request a refund for my remaining 56 days subscription.

I will of course be sharing your response on expat/VPN forums.

Once again I look forward to a response at your earliest convenience.

Many thanks.

So Far No Reply

This is a totally unsatisfactory response….Or lack thereof.

I am currently able to access BBC via “Phsiphon” which is free and was kindly recommended to me in response to a similar problem by a TVF member….It also works with SkyGo however, the quality is not great and I am not sure it offers the “security” which other VPN providers portray that they provide…..More Bullshit here I fear!

I am therefore requesting information as to which VPN you are currently using which still works with BBC iPlayer?

If I cannot find an alternative VPN provider I am considering setting up a dedicated DNS server in the UK where i can "Dial In" remorely from Thailand. I can easily buy a dedicated PC to act as a "Server" at my brothers house......I would also welcome your recommendations/experiences involved with that route.

Many thanks in anticipation.

15 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I mentioned on the the other thread that ITV player had been blocked since around March of this year using paid for VPN.....same responses as OP got came back in emails

ITV Hub (ITV Player) OK right now with Pure VPN.

Best to use "Firefox" and Direct X.

I am with Trust Zone--- just started to have a few problems, it has about 5 different sites with UK base. I have found that if I have a problem-&  I Google the BBC (while in VPN) I seem to access it a lot easier than just going in on a Bookmark.

But I only really go there to look what is coming up as I also I have found a site that has all UK TV programs--all channels, on it within an hour or so of broadcasting--includes all the news not only from England, but Wales, Scotland etc.. Also have taken a lot of programs from Irish TV there--that has some good stuff. I know TV isn't happy about posting Pirate sites--so I'll put it at the bottom, if its been removed PM me.

TVChaosUK   

55 minutes ago, casualbiker said:

I'm currently testing TvMucho. Impressed so far.. Uk TV with catch-up..and very cheap options.

yep im using it as casual user as i mentioned on other thread......sometimes its just better to pay an annual fee rather than farting around with vpns.....at 48 Euro a year cant go wrong

10 hours ago, Mario666 said:

My Reply was:

Thank you for your speedy reply but I am not convinced you are trying hard enough to rectify the situation.

I encountered the same problem some time ago with ExpressVPN, which lead to me switching to your product.

ExpressVPN have assigned new UK servers now and I have expat friends currently accessing BBC iPlayer without problems.

10 hours ago, Mario666 said:

So Far No Reply

This is a totally unsatisfactory response….Or lack thereof.

I would sign up with ExpressVpn right away, don't forget to pay in advance for a full year, so in a few weeks or months you can send them a similar ignorant email.

In that timespan BBC will have found and blacklisted the IP addresses that ExpressVpn uses currently, because they don't want you to watch the streams from abroad, for the simple reason that they have no broadcasting rights outside Britain.

I can get the BBC 95% of the time using IPVanish, it costs about 72 USD for a year - now and again the UK server gets detected but they usually come up with another server in 24 hours.

All in all a pretty good service, works well on most sites. I have used it for about 4 years now and have no reason to change.

https://www.ipvanish.com/

1 hour ago, jamie2009 said:

If you know anyone in the UK who has a Licence ask if can have the number, you can then log in.

Are you saying they are asking for a licence number Jamie2009..??

How can that be--do you understand the UK system ?

3 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

They have never asked for a licence number, they only ask you to tick a box saying you have one. You do however need to create a login with the BBC, just e mail and password, they send you a link, you click it and register.

Yes..That's what I thought--also you do not need a licence if a certain age or many other reasons---they list them on a PDF.

The other stations (ITV-Channel 4 etc) do not get any money from licence fee's . the idea is not about licence fee money as such--it is to try to restrict overseas viewers as they wish to sell the programs on. Some programs are big hits in America/Oz etc

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if already covered.

The BBC had a crackdown on all the VPN operators and a lot of them lost BBC iplayer connectivity at a similar sort of time.  They're basically blocking any IPs that show higher than usual traffic.  So if you try to connect to iplayer using an IP that 100 other people/devices have used in the last few days, clearly that isn't typical usage and so the BBC will block the IP.

The way to get around it is to use a private/dedicated IP address.  You have to pay for that.

You might still be able to find some servers from the major VPNs that have not yet been blocked.  For example I have found one (free) server on Cyberghost that still works (but you need a premium account to choose your server, without a premium account it's just pot luck).  But it's probably only a matter of time until they block that as well.

Occasionally a VPN company might change servers, so the new servers will work for a while before BBC recognise the unusual traffic and block them.

The only long-term solution is to pay for a private IP.

I think it's harsh for the OP to moan at the company for a refund.  You can't expect them to change their servers every few days.

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

the idea is not about licence fee money as such--it is to try to restrict overseas viewers as they wish to sell the programs on.

It's also because downloading/streaming their content costs them bandwidth and therefore money.  They only want to make it available to people who are paying for it in the form of the license fee.  And people in Thailand for example, are probably not paying for it.

Edited by dfdgfdfdgs

2 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if already covered.

The BBC had a crackdown on all the VPN operators and a lot of them lost BBC iplayer connectivity at a similar sort of time.  They're basically blocking any IPs that show higher than usual traffic.  So if you try to connect to iplayer using an IP that 100 other people/devices have used in the last few days, clearly that isn't typical usage and so the BBC will block the IP.

The way to get around it is to use a private/dedicated IP address.  You have to pay for that.

You might still be able to find some servers from the major VPNs that have not yet been blocked.  For example I have found one (free) server on Cyberghost that still works (but you need a premium account to choose your server, without a premium account it's just pot luck).  But it's probably only a matter of time until they block that as well.

Occasionally a VPN company might change servers, so the new servers will work for a while before BBC recognise the unusual traffic and block them.

The only long-term solution is to pay for a private IP.

I think it's harsh for the OP to moan at the company for a refund.  You can't expect them to change their servers every few days.

If I am paying a VPN company for untraceable access as per their advertised blurb, then as far as I am concerned they can change their servers as often as required to allow me access. If they don't, I will walk!

IPVanish change their server addresses in the UK quite frequently - it is obviously just a software thing as they implement it quickly once the Big Black Cloud blocks them.

19 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

If I am paying a VPN company for untraceable access as per their advertised blurb, then as far as I am concerned they can change their servers as often as required to allow me access. If they don't, I will walk!

You are going to need some new walking boots.

When I signed up for BBC I-Player 2 months ago, they required a UK postal code address as proof of UK residency before you could register.  I made one up. You then provided your email address and created a password. Only recently did they display a 1-time box that required you to check "yes" or "no" if you have a license. Checked "yes" then watched my programs. Has not asked that question again.  

Also, for those following this thread who are having issues streaming overseas content and want a "low cost " solution that works, send me a pm.  

I use Browsec,works fine, they have a free one you can use,

and if it works for you,buy the premium ,which gives more

servers and better speed, for BBC iPlayer,you also have to

register,and sign in,so you have to have someone in the UK,

where you can use their postcode, P.S, Browsec premium  3.30 US $ p.m. for year subscription

regards worgeordie

You can just use any postcode.  For people not from the UK who don't understand the postcode system, it's one or 2 letters first e.g. M for Manchester or PR for Preston, then 1 or 2 numbers, then one number, then 2 random letters.

Examples M12 8JD,  ST3 4AN,   B6 9SM

Well, I've still got access using my 'UK' VPN.  But . . . yes, you need to register an email address and provide a postal code now (not a Licence number) to use the BBC iPlayer.

Then, you MUST ensure that you are not 'Leaking' location information.  So when you install the iPlayer make sure that 'Location services' is set to 'OFF' and that you are using your VPN.  Make sure that before you start and run the iPlayer that every time 'Location services' is set to 'OFF' beforehand.  When you register, do the same.  Then the mysterious 'They' can't know you're not in the UK.

It works, it really does.

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

You can just use any postcode.  For people not from the UK who don't understand the postcode system, it's one or 2 letters first e.g. M for Manchester or PR for Preston, then 1 or 2 numbers, then one number, then 2 random letters.

Examples M12 8JD,  ST3 4AN,   B6 9SM

I got my postal code by using Google and found a London postal map. I choose a residential area and used the postal code assigned to one of the houses.  So simple and it worked.

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Apologies they ask for a Post Code and then they will check if there is a Licence for there ??

They send letters out to you to say they will be visiting your address if you don't have a Licence. I didn't have one, received a few letters, no one ever visited me, I have one now because of IPlayer but I think that was scaremongering people.

Years ago they would drive round in green vans with an anntane on the roof, said they could tell if you had a tv and even what room it was in, nope it was just an empty van.

If you are 75 and over you are exempt from paying for a Licence.

They wouldn't be able to check a licence from a postcode, since many different addresses can be registered to the same postcode.

They're just putting another hurdle in your way, it'll stop some clueless people from overseas who don't know how to Google.  It won't stop 95% of expats who will just use their old address/make one up/lie.