Importing an Instrument

Hi all,

I would like to bring my cello into Thailand. I won't be flying with it and will ship it as special cargo with an airline. I have some questions about import duty that I would have to pay. According to the Thai customs website the current import duty is 10%. I don't know what value to put on the cello, because technically it has no commercial value: It was given to me as a present 20 years ago and is worth what someone would be willing to pay for it (like a piece of art). It is 103 years old, but is no Stradivarius and realistically would have a very low selling price (not that I would ever sell it)

So what would happen when I went to fetch it at the airport? Would I pick it up with no extra charge? I'm concerned that they put some arbitary value (100k/200k whatever they please) on it.

Also, I've recently read that you have 6 months to import duty free with a WP - is this true? I have lived in Thailand for years, but re-entered on a new Non-O visa in March.

Thanks in advance 

Cello Tariff 1.png

Edited by SABloke

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

Actually its (value + 7%) then pay 10% of that value

That's how it should work. Sadly, it doesn't always work that way. You'll be at the mercy of the agent at the airport.

They'll do a Google search to find the value. The more documentation you have the better!

If you are moving to Thailand – work or retirement – you are allowed one air shipment and one surface (sea) shipment of private household; if I remember right, from when I moved my household about 10-years ago. I had some used, older musical instruments in my shipment (spinet, and organ) and listed a fair trade value. A (very) small duty and vat was charged on some of the goods only, but hard to say on exactly what, as it was a 20-feet container with household, including some newer electronic stuff.