Pizza

altman

I ate dinner at the Duke's last night with a bunch of friends.

One of them has lived in Thailand on and off for many years, is extemely well-travelled and knows good food.

He just visited New York City a couple of days ago where he ate at a famous pizzaria that was recommended to him by native New Yorker friends.

He ordered a Duke's pepperoni pizza last night, raved about how good it was and swore that the one in New York had been only slightly better.

I have nothing to do with the Duke's and am only reporting this conversation as a public service. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ate dinner at the Duke's last night with a bunch of friends.

One of them has lived in Thailand on and off for many years, is extemely well-travelled and knows good food.

He just visited New York City a couple of days ago where he ate at a famous pizzaria that was recommended to him by native New Yorker friends.

He ordered a Duke's pepperoni pizza last night, raved about how good it was and swore that the one in New York had been only slightly better.

I have nothing to do with the Duke's and am only reporting this conversation as a public service. :D

Good, now I know how terrible a NY pizza can be. :o

La Villa, across from Writer's Bar, has a very large stone pizza oven. The owner is an Italian who has lived in Mae Taeng for about 20 years.

Doesn't beat the North End of Boston, though!

Didn't hang in the North End much. I DO remember Pizzeria Regina's as being da++ good, and there were plenty of smaller places that were better in a grittier way. Nowhere here to get steamers, chowder, or lobster roll, either. There are plenty of other diversions, though.

Edited by calibanjr.

If thin crust Italian style's your thing, maybe try Lanterna de Genova on Rachadamnoen, near the Gate. I moved down to BKK about 6 months ago and really miss the value of their pizzas, about 220 baht for Parma ham with anchovies and buffalo mozzarella. So thin you have to fold.

Personally i am not a great Fan of Pizza .

i recall i first started eating Pizza . when teenage mutant ninja turtle was on TV .. and every kids . know about pizza .

that is about time when Pizza hut make it to my country .

- over the years - more or less the pizza i ate was from pizza hut ..

and slowly as i grow up - i went to different italilian resturant - for some pizza ..

notthing reaaly fancy . just a flat bread bake hard and with cheesse and full of meat and sauces .

- i was staying in japan for about a years . - that is when i really like pizza .

there is this place at yokohama call the " Garlic " there serve every nice italian food .

and there bake this think crust pizza . right infront of you - there is this large stone oven

the flat crust is baked . and then sauce over it .. and all the ham and cheese and herbal spicy . and when serve the cook would pour rich olive oil over your pizza . -

is top with frshly grain garlic . - hmmm.........

typing this make me hungry ..

i miss japan so much ..

notthing come close to those pre made - crap that is store in freezer for like ages .. and top with . cheap ham that taste -

i also love Bruschetta ( not sure how you spell it )

bascially the right way to do it is

you got to grill or roast fresh bread over coal or dark black chaco .

-

using a open pan . - stir some olive oil

top with Garlic . and dice up tomato ( mus be those small one - cut into 4 or half it is enough )

all done at low heat . enough to see the garlic . sizzle without getting cook . or turn brown .

after all this top it with herb . basil . and parley . -

a little pepper if you like pepper if not just a little salt over it ..

and then top it on the roasted of grill fresh bread..

-

How thailand do it . there mix .. tomato and olive oil and seldom garlic and everything . and chuck it in a BOX .

put it in freezer.

when customer order .

throw some bread into the mirco wave .. - and then top it with the freezer paste .

YUCK !!!!!!!!- this is from BIG resturant that i had eat ... i don't want to give name ..

DARE charge me 120 baht for it .

Lygon St, Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia...As for CM.. SFA..Unfortunately..post-31110-1168430917_thumb.jpg

That pizza looks like a work of art....could be very close to true naples pizza, too bad Chiang Mai is really lacking something that nice

Edited by bungalowbill

Lygon St, Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia...As for CM.. SFA..Unfortunately..

Within the space of several hundred metres you have maybe a dozen of the top pizza reataurants of all time! I actually managed one there the other week. A Neopolitan classic, thin crust with lashings of anchovies, capers, and black olives, with the cheese still bubbling when it came out. Ahhhhhhhhh............

Italy is the only place to get a good pizza. So, short of flying to Italy the next best way to get a reasonable pizza is if it is prepared and cooked by an Italian using the traditional Italian way. The worst pizzas are those prepared and cooked American style.

If people have never tasted a true Italian pizza in Italy, they are not qualified to give an oppinion.

That's my two Lira worth

Italy is the only place to get a good pizza. So, short of flying to Italy the next best way to get a reasonable pizza is if it is prepared and cooked by an Italian using the traditional Italian way. The worst pizzas are those prepared and cooked American style.

If people have never tasted a true Italian pizza in Italy, they are not qualified to give an oppinion.

That's my two Lira worth

Mate, i grew up near Lygon St , Melbourne, and i can tell you now the pizza cooks are ALL Italians, its just that they have access to Australias abundant produce that is second to none that makes their Pizza's the best.. And i have eaten several pizza's in Rome and other parts of Europe and they are quite frankly <deleted>..So i am i still qualified in your opinion ?? This thread should have read, Where are the best pizza's in CM....

La Villa, across from Writer's Bar, has a very large stone pizza oven. The owner is an Italian who has lived in Mae Taeng for about 20 years.

La Villa is my choice for pizza in Chiang Mai. Nice crisp thin crust and the crust is what makes the pizza IMO. :o

We have a place here in Chiang Rai called Three Houses. They make the best pizza in Chiang Rai and so far in Thailand in my opinion.

As long as we're stepping outside Chiang Mai, I'd put in a word for Amido's Pizza Garden in Pai. Best pizza, for my tastes, that I've eaten anywhere in Thailand. I've not tried Three Houses in Chiang Rai however.

Pizza tastes are very personal though ... as can be seen by all the differences of opinion.

Pizza lang maw - crust is a bit too crunchy but I do like their Mexican pizza. :o

We have a place here in Chiang Rai called Three Houses. They make the best pizza in Chiang Rai and so far in Thailand in my opinion.

The pizza's are Swedish style and that means a lot of toppings and then lots of cheese.

Swedish Pizza? What the....? here was me thinking pizza was Italian. What's a Swedish Pizza have on it - raw salmon? Whale meat? :o

Lygon St, Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia...As for CM.. SFA..Unfortunately..post-31110-1168430917_thumb.jpg

I almost started to cry when I saw that pizza, suddenly images of lygon street coffee shops, pizza, great italian food came back - almost (but not quite) enough to make be to want to go back.

That's my two Lira worth

The two worst pizzas I have ever had were in Italy, one in Rome and the other in Florence. Expensive and almost inedible. Compared to them the average pizza in Chiang Mai is almost gourmet. :o

Consider giving "The Naples Pizzeria" a try.

Wood-fired oven, thin crust, & mostly no more than 3-4 flavours in combination, if that is how you like it.

They also deliver, without needing 20 minutes explanation of where you live, nor 18 phone callls as they circle closer and closer to your hungry home.

Any other recommedations for places who will deliver efficiently ?

Swedish Pizza? What the....? here was me thinking pizza was Italian. What's a Swedish Pizza have on it - raw salmon? Whale meat? :o

It happened all over the world, italians emigrated to many countries, also to Sweden.

And then came the Turks, Joguslavians etc etc and all started Pizzerias (Pizza restaurants).

And suddenly you could have kebab on your pizza, steak with bearnaicesauce on the pizza, etc etc.

But most of the time you have a lot of fillings and a lot o f cheese!

Yes, you can have salmon up in northern Sweden.

BUT whale meat? Are you from US? Have you heard about a country named Norway? No!

OK, but it is the Norwegians that hunts the whales and also eat the whale meat!

:D :D :D

It happened all over the world, italians emigrated to many countries, also to Sweden.

And then came the Turks, Joguslavians etc etc and all started Pizzerias (Pizza restaurants).

And suddenly you could have kebab on your pizza, steak with bearnaicesauce on the pizza, etc etc.

But most of the time you have a lot of fillings and a lot o f cheese!

Yes, you can have salmon up in northern Sweden.

BUT whale meat? Are you from US? Have you heard about a country named Norway? No!

OK, but it is the Norwegians that hunts the whales and also eat the whale meat!

:D :D :D

The common belief is that Italians invented the pizza, however the origins go back to the ancient times. Even though we have yet to uncover archeological evidence of a Dominos Pizza before the last century, it is known the Babylonians, Israelites, Egyptians and other ancient Middle Eastern cultures were eating flat, un-leaven bread that had been cooked in mud ovens. The bread was much like a pita, which is still common in Greece and the Middle East today. Further it is known that ancient Mediterranean people such as the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians were eating the bread, topped seasoned with olive oil and native spices. Taken from www.aboutpizza.com Maybe the Atlanteans invented it..

Uhg!

Ordered Pizza Co. delivery service today (something we almost never do, but today is Wan-Dek, and we were a bit lazy, so ...) and it was just awful.

How bad was it? I opened the little packets of ketchup that curiously come with the pizza and smothered a slice to see if it would help ... and it did! :o

wow. little did i realize how passionate people were about pizza. i just wanted a few pointers on another place to try.

thanks!

anyway, i am curious as to why no one has mentioned a place that i was considering.

rose cafe. they advertise 'the second best pizza in CM'. i went there the other night but they don't do take out so i had to decline. i'll go back another time.

i would post some of the places i have been, but none of them get a positive rating and i am reluctant, as a former business owner, to give negative information about a place on as subjective a subject as food. service - yes.

Uhg!

Ordered Pizza Co. delivery service today (something we almost never do, but today is Wan-Dek, and we were a bit lazy, so ...) and it was just awful.

How bad was it? I opened the little packets of ketchup that curiously come with the pizza and smothered a slice to see if it would help ... and it did! :o

As long as you stick to Chicken Trio with plain thick crust and use up all the oregano I think they're ok. None of the other pizzas they have are particularly good though.

Uhg!

As long as you stick to Chicken Trio with plain thick crust and use up all the oregano I think they're ok. None of the other pizzas they have are particularly good though.

I disagree with that. I think their pizzas are quite good. Never a problem for me.

well i am glad to have been able to grab this thread before it became defunct.

i just had an excellent pizza in chiang mai!

laugh all you want, but i am of the generation that recalls the 'avis, we're number two so we try harder' ads in america. so i wondered what the rose cafe (i'd say restaraunt, but that is one of those words that i can never get my head around, spelling wise), had to offer when they described themselves as 'the second best pizza' in chiang mai.

from my experience tonight i would say they are the best pizza i've had in SEA.

crisp crust. enough sauce to make a base and add flavor without flooding the dough. very generous toppings.

they do not do take away so plan to eat there. they have a big screen tv with sports and movies so that is not a terrible burden. large chang 75 baht. 8 inch multi ingredient pizza about 130 baht.

one of the things that will help determine a good pizza place from the wanna be's is how long it takes to deliver the pie to your plate. this one will take as long as it takes. no rush to get it out of the oven. so crisp is crisp, but not burned.

i had planned to go to dukes, and i still will, but i am very happy to have gone to the rose instead.

inside the moat on ratchamanka, across from panda guest house

give it a try. enjoy.

(i have zero affiliation or interest in this place)

As long as we're stepping outside Chiang Mai, I'd put in a word for Amido's Pizza Garden in Pai. Best pizza, for my tastes, that I've eaten anywhere in Thailand. I've not tried Three Houses in Chiang Rai however.

Pizza tastes are very personal though ... as can be seen by all the differences of opinion.

Pizza lang maw - crust is a bit too crunchy but I do like their Mexican pizza. :D

Well Amido's can be good. But be warned: You need to make sure that Amido is around or the quality drops through the floor. Seems to be a problem in many farang-owned places - as soon as the cat leaves the house, the same cooks that before made excellent food suddenly forget everything they learned. I have no idea why ?! Instead of lasagna you get some kind of cheese-soup. That said, I have had excellent italian-style pizzas there.

Pai has another restaurant that's even better for pasta and also pizza (italian-style only) - Latina, now renamed to "Baan Pizza" which is kind of silly but the same owner, real full-blooded italian cook who makes all his own pasta and gets personally offended when you don't like his food. Luckily, his food is excellent... my wife has the habit of continually offending him though, at one time asking him if he put sugar in the pasta sauce.

I like both italian and american style pizza and, like others here, noticed that you just can't get good american style pizza here (in thailand). Doesn't exist, period. I miss San Fran for that... tons of "NY-style" pizza in little independent shops, always huge, as many ingredients as you like, always excellent.

... I am very hungry now :o

• 2 weeks later...