2017 Retirement Extension at Chaengwattana BKK

Instead of a taxi, it's quite convenient to take a minivan from MoChit BTS. If I remember correctly, they cost 25 baht and drop you at the entrance to the Government Complex on the road to Pakkred. There is a free shuttle down the long driveway to the buildings or you can take a motorbike taxi for 20 baht. The minivans are quite fast with only a few stops along the way, plus they often bypass a bit of traffic by traveling in the "commuter" lane. 

I often return from the Government Complex to Victory Monument by way of the bus that comes directly to the building that Immigration is in. Can't remember the number... I think it's 166. Took about 45 minutes leaving at 4pm last time. It travels on the expressway much of the route. Ask to verify the bus no. and that it's going the proper direction as one of the buses goes to Pakkred.

Edited by CyclingLight
expressway note
  • Like 2

Yes, there is an air con 166 bus, usually blue color, that runs from the door of the Immigration Building to Victory Monument. No need to use the local government complex shuttle if you take that bus to VM, although the wait times between buses can be a bit long. I think the fare is 18 baht or so.

There also is a local #52 bus that runs between Mochit BTS and CW Road and stops at the CAT headquarters about a block short of CW Soi 7. So get off at the CAT stop, then walk a block to Soi 7, and catch the Government Complex local shuttle bus there that drops you off right at the Immigration building. I think the fare for #52 is 8 baht or so.

Yes you can take a minivan from Mochit, and yes you can take a train to Laksi and then mototaxi onto the Govt. complex.

However, when in Thailand, I DO NOT take minivans and DO NOT take mototaxis.... EVER! That's just my rule.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fire69water said:

The most sane way to go to the Govt Complex in CW is take the SRT locomotive train to Laksi and then hop into a motorcycle taxi to go there. Cheap and fast. Traffic jams are largely irrelevant. Have to check train timing though.

I did that a couple of years ago from Hua Lamphong.  Only 4 or 7 baht cant remember now, but I do know it would have been quicker to walk.

• Like 1

Part of the reason I typically take a taxi in the morning is timing is relatively critical on that trip, as in I want to arrive at Immigration at the right time, and not too early to stand around in a long queue, and not too late as in long after they open at 8:30 am.  So the taxi trip in the morning from Mochit usually is pretty reliable and predictable for that.

On the way back after having finished my business, I usually catch the 166 bus right from the door and then take it to Victory Monument. Time isn't so important on the return trip. Yesterday, waited about a half hour for the 166 outside the Govt. Complex doors, and it never came during that time. So finally gave up and ended up taking a taxi for the return trip. Had the wife with me, and she was feeling like wanting AC on the way home.

• Like 1

Coming from Silom road I like to catch the 504 (yellow ac) bus that runs on past Don Mueang airport to Rangsit. Get off at Laksi (IT Square) and walk about 40 mins to get to Immigration. The bus runs about every 30 mins but sometimes have to wait up to an hour.

Nice day out for me if I leave about 6.30 am and the traffic is moving freely.

Coming back I catch the (free) red 166 bus from outside Immigration. No need for ac on this bus as it travels at 100 km/hour along the elevated expressway.

Thanks for the reassurance that nothing much has changed. I went early last year and joined the queue with the consequence that I got a single digit queue number which didn't give me enough time to get my bank letter.
I have a new passport and visa this year so have three months to choose a day to extend. For those new 'retirees' who are planning to take winter breaks, in my experience of extending from Jeang Watana, the extension starts from initial entry so you could find your summer break curtailed by the necessity of getting back to renew earlier than you had planned if you don't allow for this.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

i've got first ever extension coming up in a couple weeks

and was wondering if there are any requirements to show

proof of address.  from the above i'd guess not, but want

to be sure.

if asked,  have copy of GF's lease, copy of her ID card

signed, a letter from her stating i live with her, recent

monthly rental bill (her name of course), and bank

statement in my name sent to the address.

"--passport with at least one year remaining validity"

Why is this a requirement? I always thought that if your passport doesn't have a year remaining, they will extend you to the last day of validity, however long that is.

Edited by tropo

7 hours ago, Dan5 said:

So what did you give them for proof of income?

If you're asking me, it was just the standard Consulate Income affidavit, in my case from the U.S. Consulate.

In my years here, all dealing with Chaengwattana, I've never been asked for anything else or anything more re income documentation.  But I always come prepared with supporting docs, just in case.

6 hours ago, RBOP said:

Wow! That's amazing speed. When I did mine last January took me all day for the Extension and had to go back later for the re-entry.

I always make a point of avoiding visits to CW on Mondays and Fridays, as those seem to be busier days with longer queues and waits.

If possible, certainly avoid weeks when there are any government holidays that shorten the number of working days. And arrive at 8:30 am opening time or earlier so you're not too far down in the queue.

Also, of course, having all your documents and photocopies and such prepared in advance, and not being found missing anything, helps speed along the process.

• Like 1

Has anyone been declined a Retirement Extension, even though, they have met all the requirements? The approval is still based on the discretion of the immigration officer. I wonder, if there is a unofficial policy to decline people who appear unhealthy, too old, or might have mental health problems.

Trying to remediate an issue with Social Security or Medicare could take you a day in a queue only to be told you need some other information or wait to hear from us. Thai Immigration seems to do a better job.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

i've got first ever extension coming up in a couple weeks

and was wondering if there are any requirements to show

proof of address.  from the above i'd guess not, but want

to be sure.

if asked,  have copy of GF's lease, copy of her ID card

signed, a letter from her stating i live with her, recent

monthly rental bill (her name of course), and bank

statement in my name sent to the address.

I'm assuming you mean you'll be going to CW in BKK.

All I can say is, they've never asked me for any of that for the year after year new retirement extensions I've been doing there, and I've lived at the same address for all the years I've stayed in Thailand.

I honestly can't remember so many years back for my FIRST ever retirement extension at CW (which actually was Suan Plu at that time) as to whether they wanted any particular proof of address.  I think at one point long ago they asked for a copy of a map to my home. I can't recall them ever asking me for anything more on that point.

But, as mentioned above, I always bring a folder of backup materials just in case that includes a copy of my apartment lease, a Thai utility bill with my name on it, and copies of my rent receipts. Never had to use them as best as I can recall. But having them and not needing them sure beats getting sent home and having to make a PITA second trip out to CW just because some officer wanted something I didn't have.

4 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

Has anyone been declined a Retirement Extension, even though, they have met all the requirements? The approval is still based on the discretion of the immigration officer. I wonder, if there is a unofficial policy to decline people who appear unhealthy, too old, or might have mental health problems.

Trying to remediate an issue with Social Security or Medicare could take you a day in a queue only to be told you need some other information or wait to hear from us. Thai Immigration seems to do a better job.

I can't speak to the mental health problems issue :smile:.  But as for the unhealthy or too old issues, during my trip this week and on previous ones as well out to CW, I've often seen expats in wheelchairs showing up to do their extensions. And I don't think they're getting turned away.

So as long as you meet the well-documented requirements, and aren't doing anything blatantly offensive with the Immigration staff, I'm assuming the person would be approved.

Probably as much as or more than any other Immigration Office in Thailand, my experience has been the staff at Chaengwattana pretty much follow the well-established Immigration policies and rules, and they rarely seem to start going off the reservation on their own.

"--passport with at least one year remaining validity"

Why is this a requirement? I always thought that if your passport doesn't have a year remaining, they will extend you to the last day of validity, however long that is.

That is what happened to me, one year would have taken me to Oct. but extended only to passport expiry in Sept.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

That is what happened to me, one year would have taken me to Oct. but extended only to passport expiry in Sept.

Perhaps I should have added -- assuming the applicant actually wants the maximum 1 year extension of stay that they're entitled to.

25 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

The opposite is true as they are trying to build up a reputation as an senior medical hub for 10 year health and retirement visas.  The only thing the immigration doesn't like is people without money.  Don't worry about the mental health issues it's assumed all Farang are crazy. 

30 minutes ago, amvet said:

The opposite is true as they are trying to build up a reputation as an senior medical hub for 10 year health and retirement visas.  The only thing the immigration doesn't like is people without money.  Don't worry about the mental health issues it's assumed all Farang are crazy. 

I'm glad the health issue bubbled up in the discussion here, because, this year, I noticed an interesting language change on the TM7 form for retirement extensions -- a noteworthy change from the language in 2016 and prior years, as follows:

2017 form:

59a8247b0fd03_2017ExtensionFormreMed.jpg.a4d5f7b2b3f0eae01b1d79634ea4c5ad.jpg

2016 form:

59a823b8ac247_2016ExtensionFormreMed.jpg.4c6f4a603d286b5dfc6a87b02ab316ed.jpg

From what I've been able to gather, Immigration Offices in Thailand can be very uneven in terms of what they require of applicants with substantial medical/mobility issues. Some, based on poster accounts, will waive in-person appearances by applicants with certification by a doctor. But other offices, posters here have reported, demand that applicants show up in person almost regardless of how serious their medical/mobility problem may be.

If the language change on the TM7 form is intentional and reflects some kind of attempted policy on Immigration's part, hopefully it will reflect more considerate treatment of those with medical/mobility issues.

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm glad the health issue bubbled up in the discussion here, because, this year, I noticed an interesting language change on the TM7 form for retirement extensions -- a noteworthy change from the language in 2016 and prior years, as follows:

2017 form:

2016 form:

From what I've been able to gather, Immigration Offices in Thailand can be very uneven in terms of what they require of applicants with substantial medical/mobility issues. Some, based on poster accounts, will waive in-person appearances by applicants with certification by a doctor. But other offices, posters here have reported, demand that applicants show up in person almost regardless of how serious their medical/mobility problem may be.

If the language change on the TM7 form is intentional and reflects some kind of attempted policy on Immigration's part, hopefully it will reflect more considerate treatment of those with medical/mobility issues.

I had noticed that change as well. In addition, there is no longer any reference to the 1,900 THB fee in the new version: might this be indicative of an increase in the offing (perhaps not surprisingly since the fee has always been 1,900 THB ever since I started applying for annual retirement extensions 6 years ago), I wonder?

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps I should have added -- assuming the applicant actually wants the maximum 1 year extension of stay that they're entitled to.

Sure, but I'd probably lose a few months over getting a new passport a year early. In my case, my wife and I have to get new passports and juggle the expiry dates, so it's a big consideration and has to be timed perfectly.

I have a friend who gets there at 0730 to be in the front of that big curling cue, I suppose it depends on which  Booth you need to go to, as to whether that is necessary say for a re-entry permit.

Last few times, I didn't have a printer, and arrived without my TM form filled out,  of course that negated arriving early,  as there is then a fight for pens, and those stupid glue jars to paste your passport photo, THEN, the  line to get a cue number for your booth,  has to accept your papers as ready to go, of course, I then shuffle along to the  copier folks downstairs, and back  and wonder how much further back in the cue I will be.   I guess if your forms are all glued and ready, being in front when the doors open  might help  whichever   Booth  one is to frequent.

How would Mo Chit  as a taxi take off point  compare to  Phahon Yohtin  MRT?

3 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Why does everyone rely on different forms of public transportation? I simply ride my motorbike quick & easy. 

Everyone has their own reasons, but there's no doubt that motorcycle riding is more dangerous and that would influence many to choose public transport (other than motorbike taxis) instead.

For myself, I choose danger and "quick & easy".:smile:

• Thanks 1

Why does everyone rely on different forms of public transportation? I simply ride my motorbike quick & easy. 

Not everyone lives in the immediate area.

At least you guys dont pay extra for faster service. Same-day processing for 1900 baht is still good.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 10:03 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

2017 form:

2016 form:

I guess I am missing something in your statement that the wording has changed from 2016 to 2017.  When I open the Word Document on the Immigration Division One forms page I open now what you are referring to as the 2016 form. I was not able to open the PDF file, maybe that is the one that has changed the wording.