Incident At Tesco Lotus..?

paulbrun

I just heard from a friend that there was an incident (possibly an explosion..?) at one of the Tesco Lotus branches last night, at about 6pm..? Anyone know anything about this..? There's nothing in the news, and I'm away from home.

I just heard from a friend that there was an incident (possibly an explosion..?) at one of the Tesco Lotus branches last night, at about 6pm..? Anyone know anything about this..? There's nothing in the news, and I'm away from home.

Seems to be a lot of paranoia in Chiang Mai these days.

Haven't you seen the previous threads? :o

Seems to be a lot of paranoia in Chiang Mai these days.

Haven't you seen the previous threads? :o

Sorry, no, I haven't been following all the daily 'gossip' from Chiang Mai, as I am away from home, and I am meant to be working..! Glad to hear it is just rumour though. Last thing we need is for the problems in the south, and Bangkok, to find their way up north..? Thanks for puting me straight.

A very persistent rumour but nothing more than that.

I called them up to check when the same question was asked in a previous thread to check, and they said 'No, it's just a rumour' - they were open until midnight as usual, which would hardly have been the case if they had had a bomb go off.

I called them up to check when the same question was asked in a previous thread to check, and they said 'No, it's just a rumour' - they were open until midnight as usual, which would hardly have been the case if they had had a bomb go off.

My wife investigated this yesterday, and she says that two security officers were 'slightly hurt' when an explosive device, hidden in a trash can, exploded. The damage was minimal, and Tesco's obviously wants the whole thing kept quiet, so as not to scare away business..? Likewise, the tourists..!

My wife investigated this yesterday, and she says that two security officers were 'slightly hurt' when an explosive device, hidden in a trash can, exploded. The damage was minimal, and Tesco's obviously wants the whole thing kept quiet, so as not to scare away business..? Likewise, the tourists..!

That sounds like a story for your benefit, a wife might say... :o

Edited by Ajarn

If an "explosive device" is detonated, no matter how small, and people get hurt, no matter how slightly......Word will get out....I've heard nothing :o

Maejo's a long way from Tesco's in Hang Dong..? We had an explosion in our village last month, when a farmer blew up his kitchen, while mixing pesticide chemicals..! He and his wife were 'slightly hurt', and we had police, fire department and a hundred nearby villagers aound within minutes. I doubt if anyone outside the immediate vicinity ever knew about it..? Same day as the earthquakes, by coincidence..!

Maejo's a long way from Tesco's in Hang Dong..? We had an explosion in our village last month, when a farmer blew up his kitchen, while mixing pesticide chemicals..! He and his wife were 'slightly hurt', and we had police, fire department and a hundred nearby villagers aound within minutes. I doubt if anyone outside the immediate vicinity ever knew about it..? Same day as the earthquakes, by coincidence..!

:D:cheesy::D

Why do you people get so serious? I don't live in Maejo, and when I said "I've heard nothing" I was refering to any reports, if I was refering to the actual sound of an explosion, I would have said "I heard nothing" If you had Thai police and Fire Department for a small domestic exposion, don't you think that it would be magnified a hundred fold for even a slight "bang" at the likes of Tesco. Don't believe everything your wife tells you either :o

Would you mind providing some info as to how she investigated it? From whom did she get that information? How many people had it passed before it reached your wife?

The rumour was widespread so obviously lots of people, if asked, will relay what they have heard from others, but that still does not make the rumour any more true at this stage I think.

Note that some versions said 1 killed, some said 3 and some said 6 killed - another version claims the event took place at Tesco Superhighway - some people claim it was reported on iTV, others say it was relayed in some Mu Ban speaker systems.

With so many different stories in circulation, does it not make you suspicious as to whether it had any truth to it at all.

The g/s singer claims that 2 nurses from suan dok, who are regular customers / fans of hers say that they had 2 dead at sung dok from the Lotus blast.

Now I know the names of the g/f singer, the hospital, but not the nurses.

A couple of years ago when the Sars scare was on, Lotus or Big C? was closed for a day while they had a clean up?

None of this made the papers either & you can well understand the reasons why - they dont want bad news out that will panic people or ruin business. (Remember the start of bird flu, CP's chickens had it months before & it was nicelo covered up.)

So I reckon if might depend on which side of the fence you want to sit.

The g/s singer claims that 2 nurses from suan dok, who are regular customers / fans of hers say that they had 2 dead at sung dok from the Lotus blast.

A couple of years ago when the Sars scare was on, Lotus or Big C? was closed for a day while they had a clean up?

None of this made the papers either & you can well understand the reasons why - they dont want bad news out that will panic people or ruin business. (Remember the start of bird flu, CP's chickens had it months before & it was nicelo covered up.)

Looks like a bit of the wobbly finger syndrome there David.

Not your usual steady hand. Hic.

Not questioning your logic David as I know the news cannot be trusted sometimes, but to be fair you are also relaying a second hand report here so it does not bring us much closer to a confirmation. If you can get some info straight from these nurses or a person who was there, that would be interesting, though.

.......and the saga continues!

When my maid arrived this morning, I thought I'd ask her what she had heard about the "explosion" She said that the "bomb" had been set off in the car park, and that several people had been killed. (translating from Thai she actually said three or four people) She also said that there were a lot of police there. I asked the source of her information, and she said she heard from a friend that was shopping there.

Myth? Fact? Rumour? Who knows?

Why do you people get so serious? I don't live in Maejo, and when I said "I've heard nothing" I was refering to any reports, if I was refering to the actual sound of an explosion, I would have said "I heard nothing" If you had Thai police and Fire Department for a small domestic exposion, don't you think that it would be magnified a hundred fold for even a slight "bang" at the likes of Tesco. Don't believe everything your wife tells you either :o

I wasn't going to bother replying to this post, but seeing as how you are suggesting that I cannot trust my wife, I feel I have to..! I do live in Maejo, as it happens, but I was not referring to you not hearing the noise, but rather, not hearing any local 'gossip' about an incident, if you are not a local. If you did live in the vicinity of an incident like this, you would probably hear someone report about it, even if you didn't actually hear the explosion itself..! Maybe there is some substance in the rumour, or maybe not, but that does not give you the right to suggest that my wife made up the story..? I called her because I am away from home, and was concerned for her safety, and she then told me what she had heard about it. I can only assume that you must be single, gay, or unhappily married, if you have this attitude towards women..?

.......and the saga continues!

When my maid arrived this morning, I thought I'd ask her what she had heard about the "explosion" She said that the "bomb" had been set off in the car park, and that several people had been killed. (translating from Thai she actually said three or four people) She also said that there were a lot of police there. I asked the source of her information, and she said she heard from a friend that was shopping there.

and here lies the rub , disinformation will do the job .........bombs or not :o