Reasonably priced avocados - where to buy

connda

My wife spaced our weekly trip to the market, so there are no avocados on my menu this week unless I can find some when I head to Chiang Mai tomorrow.  

I've been buying avocados for 60 to 80 THB per kilo at our local Thursday market in Lamphun.  So does anyone know where I may be able to buy avocados in Chiang Mai for about the same price.  I'm not interested in either Makro or Rimping where they will sell you one small avocado for 80 baht apiece which is a total ripoff imho.  

There is a huge vegetable /fruit market next to the American Embassy .I would say that's your best bet .

Agreed, skirt around the edges of the central hubbub you'll find wholesalers in covered areas that won't sell less than a kilo or 2.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Right, end of season. So who knows what you will find..... Anyway go near the American Consulate, heading away from the Consulate and turn left into the large covered market about a block from the Consulate. You will see them selling bananas and coconuts in front. Go to the far left corner in the back. The lady is the largest seller of avocados around. Usually 40 Baht/Kg. 2-4 Kg. minimum.

9 hours ago, elektrified said:

Right, end of season. So who knows what you will find..... Anyway go near the American Consulate, heading away from the Consulate and turn left into the large covered market about a block from the Consulate. You will see them selling bananas and coconuts in front. Go to the far left corner in the back. The lady is the largest seller of avocados around. Usually 40 Baht/Kg. 2-4 Kg. minimum.

I know exactly where you're talking about.  If they are not ripe, I can handle 2 to 4 Kg with no problem.  I guess even if they are ripe, I'd just scoop out the fruit and freeze it.  
Thanks.

I live in New Zealand. They have been expensive there over the last 2 yrs. it is due to a problem, skin discolouring. Depending on the time of year we could pay anything from 90 cents around 22 baht up to $2.90 for large ones, 70 baht. The crops are well downor export so NZ have no problems selling their low stocks. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

I know exactly where you're talking about.  If they are not ripe, I can handle 2 to 4 Kg with no problem.  I guess even if they are ripe, I'd just scoop out the fruit and freeze it.  
Thanks.

Just put avocado in bag with ripe banana, will quickly ripen!

I buy from local markets and find they are annoyingly poor quality or have a tiny window of opportunity from going from rock hard to mush.. 

I pay a little more and buy them from Bangkok fruits on facebook.. They next day ship them from (sometimes from the Chiang Mai area) and the quality is lots higher. Only issue is a 5kg min order. 

14 hours ago, elektrified said:

Crap, better get over to Salsa Kitchen over by Rhum Chock before they are out of guacamole dip!

2 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Just put avocado in bag with ripe banana, will quickly ripen!

Yup, ethylene ripening.  Issan wife says there is a leaf they use to accelerate ripening but at a slower pace to widen the prime ripe time.  Will post if can find name.

My wife bought avocadoes at Mae Hia market this morning.40 b kg. I have never seen avocadoes so small. She got the last half dozen

I guess that confirms the season is on its last legs. A banana in a paper bag does do the trick providing you can find some larger green ones 

On 9/1/2017 at 0:30 PM, LivinLOS said:

I buy from local markets and find they are annoyingly poor quality or have a tiny window of opportunity from going from rock hard to mush.. 

I pay a little more and buy them from Bangkok fruits on facebook.. They next day ship them from (sometimes from the Chiang Mai area) and the quality is lots higher. Only issue is a 5kg min order. 

I actually tried buying from a Thai site located in BKK that sells a minimum of 4 kg / order which would be no problem for me.  But, I sent them a message via Facebook which they never answered.  I just racked that up as par for the course.  I'd say for every 10 correspondences that I send to Thai companies, maybe two will get answered, regardless of whether I write the message in Thai or English - or both.  That's just the state of Thai customer service imho.  

Go to the lower hill tribe villages around Chiang Mai. Avocado season is just now, and they have more fruit than they can sell, so they feed it to the pigs. Finest dark green quality.
We just came back from a Karen village about 80 km west of Chiang Mai with 50 kg for THB 1'000 (= 20 THB/kg), sharing it now with friends and enjoying guacamole and other avocado dishes (soup/salad) around the clock.
Take different ripening stages and store them in the fridge, so you will be well supplied for more than two weeks.

On 9/1/2017 at 1:10 PM, DrPhibes said:

Yup, ethylene ripening.  Issan wife says there is a leaf they use to accelerate ripening but at a slower pace to widen the prime ripe time.  Will post if can find name.

Hi ! It could be papaya leaves, ripens most thing, albeit a bit slowly... Also tenderizes meats, when wrapped.

Cheers, Chris