Urgent: need help and advice from expert

Ian1980

We run a farm in Chonburi: in same parts of it we put lights for avoid thieves in the night, as already we got few of them during the last month. After 2 days of heavy raining for 3 consecutive days quails, ducks, chickens and guinea fowls were find dead. My first idea was that maybe some bacteria was into the water after those raining day. But after i noticed that only the animals where we put the light dead. So maybe some animals beat them...can anyone has the same problem or know about that...thanks a lot.

Are you sure the animals are dead ?, they might just be tired with having the lights

on all night, but seriously,you should use PIR lights that come on when a person or

big animal enters the area,will save you electricity too.

regards worgeordie

It is possible, as I have seen before ( my work for many years and in many countries has been as a freelance consultant in farming, especially ducks and chicken ) that, it is possible for birds to get 'cold'.    This can occur particularly if there has been rain at night and there has been some form of ventilation in the poultry house, i.e. fans running.

With ducks there can be an almost instant cessation of lay, the flock having to be slaughtered.

You don't say if some or all of the birds were dead !?

If dead what position were they in, e.g. on their backs, curled up as if asleep ?

You mention that where you had put light you found dead birds ?

Is this with all types of bird ?

Were they lying on top of each other ?

If yes they could of 'smothered' trying to keep warm / dry.   This seems most likely, especially if young stock.

What age were these birds ?

Something or someone may have frightened the birds causing them to huddle leading to smothering.

Disease - if you have had people going into the houses at night they could have transferred disease.

You did well to consider bacteria in the wet / humid weather.

Are all the birds in the same house ?    

If in different houses were there more birds affected in some houses than others ?

Were certain types, i.e. ducks, chickens, quail, guinea fowl more affected than others ?

Are they all housed in one house ?

If not are the housing conditions the same in each house or different ?

Did you find dead / affected birds on each day of the rain ?

Had they gone off their feed ?

Was the feed that you gave them mouldy, this can easily kill ducks ?

Did they have potable drinking water at all times and, were they drinking ?

Were ammonia levels inside the house / houses very high ?

Have other livestock other than birds been affected ?

Have you given any form of antibiotic or other medication just prior to or during this period or after this period ?

Do the ducks have access to a pond ?    Is there floating algae in / on the pond ? They can die from algae poisoning !

What ages where the birds that died ?

Hope some of the above helps.    If you need any more help or would like me to explain more clearly please let me know.

It is always a shame to loose livestock.

What you need to do now is, sit back, and once you understand what happened find a way to try and resolve the overall issue, both short term and long term.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:55 PM, popeyesretreat said:

This thread reminds me of the movie "Mars Attack"

Well found clip.  Enjoyed that, as well as Up In Smoke.   Cheech and Chong always good for a laugh.

The film clip was a bit like the BSE outbreaks in 1986 through to 2001.

I have worked in farming in different countries for 55 years since I was 15.  As hypocritical as it may seem I turned vegetarian and then vegan many years ago but, still worked in farming, I try to teach compassion which cuts both ways, for the farmer and any livestock involved.