Wrong visa issued

I'm in the U.S. now for 2 weeks visiting friends and family also needing to get a new visa. I used a visa company I've used in the past. I submitted to them all the information to get a METV. I did rush service, even had them call me to verify everything. Got my passport back today and checked. To my surprise there is a non immigrant b visa, M status in it. I'm guessing they gave me a 1yr multi entry non b visa at the embassy instead of the METV. Could this be correct?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So there are visa companies out there in America that can get you a visa without you being there?

Not sure what you mean by being there. Read the OP. He is in the US. 

Visas can be applied for by mail or through an agent. There is no requirement to be present when doing the application.

Thank you. I thought thats what it was. Mum's the word. And yes i used an agent here in the state's. Ive used them many times. They usually go to the Thai embassy in LA, but this time i had to everything to NYC. And yes here in the states mo need to go. Agent takes care of everything.

Did you accidentally leave a few hundred dollar bills tucked into the passport?

Feign ignorance when asked and assume the Embassy knows better than you and gave you the right visa. Worst case scenario is they eventually deny it and you enter for 30days

6 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Feign ignorance when asked and assume the Embassy knows better than you and gave you the right visa. Worst case scenario is they eventually deny it and you enter for 30days

He should have no problems entering and getting 90-days on the first entry - provided he doesn't tell them that the visa was issued in-error.  It is the subsequent entries where the "where is your work permit" question might come up (I recall some using Ranong for entry, reporting this awhile back).

Edited by JackThompson

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you mean by being there. Read the OP. He is in the US. 

Visas can be applied for by mail or through an agent. There is no requirement to be present when doing the application.

Agreed I got mine in the US and specifically Chicago official Thai Embassy all by mail

7 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Just use it.

Unlimited entries of up to 90 days for a year.

15 months of stay actually.  OP don't forget to pay your Thai social security and claim your income or file your income waiver in the US (presuming you are a USC).  Anyone could ask for proof of that in the future.  Or just break the law and then when you get caught without a work permit on one of the 4-5 entries you will have to make just point the finger at the agent in the US.  I'm sure the I/O will say Mai Bpen Rai and let you walk on through.

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

On his 2nd or greater re-entry to Thailand, he may be asked to show his work-permit at some crossings - so best to keep an eye on what entry-points won't create problems.

There is no requirement to have a work permit with non-B. 

They are also issued for business trips. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mattd said:

I do not see this as an issue really, a non-b can be issued for other business purposes than solely work, in all the years I've been working here, no immigration at an entry point have ever asked to see the work permit.

I agree, If ever asked "my work permit stays at the office where I work."  

• Like 1