Quads

Rooo

There are 2 new shops in Chaweng on the ring road the hire out Quads. Many people are renting them in lieu of normal bikes.

Are they legal to use on the road? I though they were strictly off road.They don't look very safe driving on the road at 60 to 80 kmh.

I guess the next step would be driving on a beach near you. :o

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 2 new shops in Chaweng on the ring road the hire out Quads. Many people are renting them in lieu of normal bikes.

Are they legal to use on the road? I though they were strictly off road.They don't look very safe driving on the road at 60 to 80 kmh.

I guess the next step would be driving on a beach near you. :o

A couple of weeks ago I saw an idiot farang on one over taking every body on the ring road. Further on up the road I saw it upside down in a ditch. It made my day as no one else was involved and hopefully the idiot driver sustained sufficient injuries to keep him off the road for a while.

Yet another menace on the already dangerous Samui ring road.

I know for a fact that in the past they were certainly illegal for road use on samui.

Perhaps that has changed now that the roads have deteriorated further and are now classified as off road :o

Seriously though someone must have changed the rule in order to sell them or somehow magically it was changed and everyone started selling and hiring them.

Quads have been multiplying on other islands to koh tao seems to be crawling with them lately..

Quads are fine its the <deleted> that ride them..... :D

It seems to attract three distinct types of customers.

1 .people that generally need them not confident on two wheels does not require a car...(can useally be spotted stalling every ten mtrs) reasonably harmless. :D

2. People that can ride them but have an idea of there own mortality sensible riders ( a rare breed) :D

3. Young <deleted> that are wearing nothing but shorts some times speedos :D that feel that the whole island is a racetrack and have no regard for others.. :o

The locals Thai and foreign ex pats are generally real fed up with the final catergory.

The nurseing stations are having a ball however especially when cat 3 puts there feet down to stop whlist avoiding a head on...doh and run there own calfs over ....ouch

I ride a motorcycle in the UK - and enjoy the freedom of the Honda Click type bike in Samui. I have always found cars to be difficult to get around in and park etc in both places

However, the sand in Samui does cause problems - and sure may be safer on a quad

I have looked out for them before - so will hire one when I visit at the end of Jan - any idea anyone of the cost per day?

We have them on the roads in the UK - so not suprised to see them in Samui

ps love the bit about Samui roads now offroad!

I ride a motorcycle in the UK - and enjoy the freedom of the Honda Click type bike in Samui. I have always found cars to be difficult to get around in and park etc in both places

However, the sand in Samui does cause problems - and sure may be safer on a quad

I have looked out for them before - so will hire one when I visit at the end of Jan - any idea anyone of the cost per day?

We have them on the roads in the UK - so not suprised to see them in Samui

ps love the bit about Samui roads now offroad!

Sloanys Bar in Bang Rak is charging 3,000 baht a day. Versus 100 baht a day for a bike...hmmmmm..no question which one I'd get.

I have just come back from samui and the quads are everywhere, 3000 baht the 250's, 2000 baht 150's my friend wanted one so we went to shop on the ring road while he tried one for 10 mins, i chatted to the owner, basiclly not legal on the road, no tax, no plate, not insured, not cheap!! :o

Well I had a quick glimpse at one today & it had some form of registration sticker.If they are illegal , where would the get the compulsory gov insurance,or that reg label could be of a normal bike.

Another scenario is someone very influential owns them.Could be the P..... chief? oooooooooooops.

Edited by Rooo

I have just come back from samui and the quads are everywhere, 3000 baht the 250's, 2000 baht 150's my friend wanted one so we went to shop on the ring road while he tried one for 10 mins, i chatted to the owner, basiclly not legal on the road, no tax, no plate, not insured, not cheap!! :o

sound like a grat business.

At bophud crossing they are sold at small ones 45000 baht and the big ones at 150,000 baht. so if you rent them out at 3000 a day in about 50 days you cover the cost. not a bad return......

living in thong nai pan as i do i have considered buying one of these because it is cheaper than a jeep and i can't ride a motorbike on the horrible road here. are they more dangerous than they look? if they are illegal then wh is everyone renting them out now?

living in thong nai pan as i do i have considered buying one of these because it is cheaper than a jeep and i can't ride a motorbike on the horrible road here. are they more dangerous than they look? if they are illegal then wh is everyone renting them out now?

Girl X,

They are purely an off road bike. They are dangerous on the road for the simple reason people drive at unsafe speeds & have the false sense of security of having 4 wheels. They are very reliable off road if driven with common sense.But on the road at speed they are very prone to tipping over.

They were never designed to go around bends on concrete roads at 60 to 80 kmhs .You have a very high centre of gravity ,short wheelbase & narrow track.Unlike a bike which you can lean over, something has to give.

At bophud crossing they are sold at small ones 45000 baht and the big ones at 150,000 baht. so if you rent them out at 3000 a day in about 50 days you cover the cost. not a bad return......

Hmm, 45k baht? That might be just the ticket to overcome my hate of driving scooters on the roads of KPG, what cc engine for that price?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, 45k baht? That might be just the ticket to overcome my hate of driving scooters on the roads of KPG, what cc engine for that price?

What is wrong with you guys? Doom and gloom. Quads are great. If 3000 THB is too expoensive for you then get a better paid job. Tourist love them. And this island is a tyourist resort. Dont like it get off.

Or Take them out for a day. Enjoy the safety of 4 wheels. The locals love it because you are not driving a gas drinking pollution problem 4x4 truck. Great for popping down to the shops to get some drink.

Stop moaning and get on with your life.

The amount of imbeciles using the Samui ring road is staggering, whether they be the pissed up holidaymakers on choppers, quads or mopeds, the holidaymakers on mopeds who are obviously baffled as to how to ride said mopeds, those local moped riders who have a complete lack of awareness of any other vehicles around them or my favourite, those locals in oversized 4 x 4s that have a complete disregard for anyone else on the road.

Because of this I'd never dream of hiring a bike of any description. Also, after hiring a decent smart saloon car recently, I wouldn't go down that road again as it was 'too decent' for the state of the ring road.

Do what I usually do, hire a jeep for Bht 500 per day. They're safe, fun and (as long as you don't hire the open top version) great when you get caught in the middle of a torrential rainstorm/flood!

Indeed I'd go so far as to say my long suffering wife and I have a wonderful time sat in our jeep watching the chaos unfolding around us! An integral part of Samui life (and death!).

Edited by somchai jones

What is wrong with you guys? Doom and gloom. Quads are great. If 3000 THB is too expoensive for you then get a better paid job. Tourist love them. And this island is a tyourist resort. Dont like it get off.

Or Take them out for a day. Enjoy the safety of 4 wheels. The locals love it because you are not driving a gas drinking pollution problem 4x4 truck. Great for popping down to the shops to get some drink.

Gaza you get a reality check mate. Are they registered? Insured? People driving them have a licence? But then 90% of people don't. You talk about getting things better/

You guys thinking Quads are great, as I said once before have an accident on one. YOUR FAULT ALL THE WAY. Same as these bikes with a side car NOT LEGAL.You can do whatever you like till you get in a spot of bother & then see what happens.

I rode one in Pattaya on an off-road course. Almost summersaulted with that machine from hel_l and decided not to drive it again. The handling is really something to get used to and if you're not, those quads are ouright dangerous.

I drive go-kart quite often and consider this as a relative safe sport, just to keep things in proportion.

I rode one in Pattaya on an off-road course. Almost summersaulted with that machine from hel_l and decided not to drive it again. The handling is really something to get used to and if you're not, those quads are ouright dangerous.

I drive go-kart quite often and consider this as a relative safe sport, just to keep things in proportion.

This is what I mean. The things are not roadworthy.Just imagine, you drive Go Karts so you are fairly aware of the way your RIDE will handle. Now Imagine all these idiots with no licences being let loose on them in the traffic with all the trucks etc... Now as Gazza said great fun :o

Gazza thanks for reminding me why I am getting out of Samui. With people like you on the road, the further away the better.

This is what I mean. The things are not roadworthy.Just imagine, you drive Go Karts so you are fairly aware of the way your RIDE will handle. Now Imagine all these idiots with no licences being let loose on them in the traffic with all the trucks etc... Now as Gazza said great fun :o

I should specify this a bit more: Quads are VERY nasty in corners due to their high center of gravity. Remember, you are on four wheels and cannot lean inside the corner as you would do with a motorcycle. The short wheelbase doesn't make things better.

Driven off-road, they tend to tilt forward or backward when going up resp. down a slope. I had the unpleasant experience going down a slope and NOT accelerating enough...the back wheels were in the air. Going down full throttle might have been the better approach, but this will tell you your experience.

Renting them out to unaware tourists who lost their common sense more than often at the airport is outright irresponsible...then again....who cares....

/edit: shpellink

Edited by raro

Im kinda with gazza on this. If the Land Of Smiles adopted a nanny state attitude, half of us wouldnt come here.

Can anyone confirm if there have been any accidents with these quads on Samui? Several posters on the subject here; surely if there had been an accident, one of you would have known about it? Until these quads begin to pile up, the safety concerns expressed here are a little hollow, imho.

As for tourists thraping around on a small island generaly being a pain in the backside... well, thats what tourists do. As Gazza said, its a tourist island. Let have there fun. If i spot a 19 year old British kid driving around on a quad with shirt off and 2 freshly bar fined isarn munchkins hanging on the back i would just think, well, he's a young tourist having fun on a tourist island. Whatever.

Im kinda with gazza on this. If the Land Of Smiles adopted a nanny state attitude, half of us wouldnt come here.

Can anyone confirm if there have been any accidents with these quads on Samui? Several posters on the subject here; surely if there had been an accident, one of you would have known about it? Until these quads begin to pile up, the safety concerns expressed here are a little hollow, imho.

As for tourists thraping around on a small island generaly being a pain in the backside... well, thats what tourists do. As Gazza said, its a tourist island. Let have there fun. If i spot a 19 year old British kid driving around on a quad with shirt off and 2 freshly bar fined isarn munchkins hanging on the back i would just think, well, he's a young tourist having fun on a tourist island. Whatever.

I do not really think the Samui ring road is really the place to have some fun. People get killed on it every month.Samui roads are unique in Thailand with no police inforcment whatsoever. If your idea of fun is being mangled up under a cement truck ,go ahead.

No, my idea of fun is quite obviously not being mangled under a cement truck.

Dont take my post out of context. My point is that Samui is a tourist island, where people have fun regardless of which mundane activity they are engaged in. Whilst on the ringroad, I see no problem in the occasional quad doing 50/60 kmph. Thats not overly fast, and i question anyone here who suggests these things are buzzing around at breakneck speed, becasue i doubt they are.

My main point here is just let them get on with it. They are tourists, on holiday for christs sake. If you can report back that there has been a number of fatalities due to quads, i will stand corrected. As of yet, i dont believe there has been, so take it easy. I wouldnt hire one....I think you look like a complete pillock mooching around on a quad.... but if i was 19 years old and spend 11 months and two weeks in a bloody factory in Manchester, I probably would for the 2 short weeks i was on holiday in Samui. Let them have there fun.

No, my idea of fun is quite obviously not being mangled under a cement truck.

Dont take my post out of context. My point is that Samui is a tourist island, where people have fun regardless of which mundane activity they are engaged in. Whilst on the ringroad, I see no problem in the occasional quad doing 50/60 kmph. Thats not overly fast, and i question anyone here who suggests these things are buzzing around at breakneck speed, becasue i doubt they are.

My main point here is just let them get on with it. They are tourists, on holiday for christs sake. If you can report back that there has been a number of fatalities due to quads, i will stand corrected. As of yet, i dont believe there has been, so take it easy. I wouldnt hire one....I think you look like a complete pillock mooching around on a quad.... but if i was 19 years old and spend 11 months and two weeks in a bloody factory in Manchester, I probably would for the 2 short weeks i was on holiday in Samui. Let them have there fun.

Well it's only a holiday. Let's us forget all the right things & just act like idiots.It's only an island. Helmet? What helmet? Registration? What's that? Insurance? Are you kidding It's only a holiday.

If you try & get the right thing by you, THEN stop coomplaining about all the wrongs & start leading by EXAMPLE.

Roo, I made my point. This thread is about Quads on Samui, not Stick Kettle On's opinion of quads on Samui. No point in going around in circles as we are both making the same point each post. However, I think you may have missed mine, so allow me to reiterate;

I think you and others should make allowances for stuff like this, owing to the fact that these guys are on holiday. I have no proof to back the following presumption up, but I suspect there are no kids screaming around 90 degree mountain bends at 100 KPH, as has been insinuated on this thread. My guess is, they are just kids on quads, and its assumed they are going to kill someone as they are kids on quads.

I’m not advocating any of the behavior you seem to think I am; using the ring road as a race track et al. I’m not saying that, and I would not support that pursuit. I see a couple of young dudes harmlessly overtaking a cement truck at 40KPH as they hired the quads to have fun, and not sit behind said cement truck. You may perceive the same situation as young reckless yobs drunkenly weaving in and out of traffic at 70KMPH on the way to the morg. I may be wrong, so forgive me, but it could be that you and others assume these people are reckless simply because the machines they are driving look reckless, and you don’t like them.

As for setting an example - please give me one reason why I should. I enjoy the freedom LOS offers. My home country is increasingly becoming a horrible nanny state, which I find irritating so why on earth would I endeavour to replicate this in a country renowned for quite the opposite? I enjoy the freedom of not having to wear a helmet, and I love the fact that it is illegal yet the MIB let me get on with it. That would never happen in my country – a boring politically correct nanny state. In any event, it would be a little hypocritical to set an example just for the wrongs that you believe in. You may wish to wear a helmet as the law dictates, as it doesn’t put you out... I would also like to see you walking out of that busy, fun bar at precisely 1am, as that is the legal closing time.

Again, forgive me as I'm being a little presumptuous here – but I kinda get the feeling that complaints of these bikes are being fueled by another factor; these big, noisy, unnecessary machines are not in theme with your island utopia, maybe. It’s a small tropical island, right? Only room for dear little old ladies on 1970’s push bikes with a toothless smile and a basket full of mangos.