Quads

Rooo

There is no practical point in having a quad, granted.

There is also no practical point in buzzing around on a jet ski for 20 minutes..

There is certainly no practical point in elephant trekking.

And there is definatley no practical point in having a blow job from a 6'2" katoey round the back of burger king at 5am.

These however are a few experiences that your average Joe from Scunthorpe will rarely be able to engage in back home. Lighten up a little guys, jeez! Stop being so bloody highly strung!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but what about the practicality of thick uninsured joe from scunthorpe careening into and crippling you , or your wife , or your kid as you stand there singing the praises of quad bikers and their rights.

i refer you to the story of the 15 year old danish lad who killed a chinese tourist when he lost control of his hired and uninsured jetski in pattaya recently.

taxexile

I am not singing there praises. I did say that I would not hire one, and I think you look a complete prat riding one. However, I see no harm in it. I’m making several points and one question; can you answer, in all honesty that you have witnessed these machines being rode around the island at speeds far in excess of the average Honda dream? I admit I am making a few presumptions here but one of them is key to my thinking, and my experience of living in Samui; you just don’t like them, do you? They are unsightly, unnecessary and annoying.... so lets fill the content of this thread with the usual doom and gloom often associated with poor old 'tommy tourist', when they are involved in activities you don’t dig.

Where does this notion come from that they are complete and utter deathtraps? And why are there several posts here referring to incidents involving fatalities? Has anything actually happened? Its borderline sensationalism.

The Jet Ski incident in Pattaya, whilst tragic, is irrelevant in my opinion. It was a jet ski, not a quad. I mentioned a Jet Ski in my last post to highlight stuff that is not necessary, but fun for a tourist. If you can refer to any evidence that these quads are responsible for more death than normal two wheelers, I will agree that they should not be available for hire. As far as I am aware, there has thankfully been no deaths as a result of these quads.

A few humble posts expressing safety concerns; fair enough. But all this talk of death, families being run down, tourists in comas etc etc…. silly. Let them get on with it and enjoy there holiday. I sincerely doubt it is common to see these things blazing around at death defying speeds, so just let them be.

Again, JMHO.

can you answer, in all honesty that you have witnessed these machines being rode around the island at speeds far in excess of the average Honda dream? I

no , but these poorly handling machines just add another unwanted ingredient to the already lethal cocktail of potholes , sand , drunkeness , thai driving behaviour and lazy policing that is the road system on samui.

can you answer, in all honesty that you have witnessed these machines being rode around the island at speeds far in excess of the average Honda dream? I

no , but these poorly handling machines just add another unwanted ingredient to the already lethal cocktail of potholes , sand , drunkeness , thai driving behaviour and lazy policing that is the road system on samui.

Fair point.

Fair point.

1/Driving on the ring road between Hua Thanon & Nathon 5 of these said riders came zooming past me like if I was stading still.

2/ Driving between Lamai & Chaweng 2 racing up the hill overtaking on blind corners.

Like any other type of vehicle I am a firm believer that you should have some training of sorts of the handling & characteristics of it.

I agree with you that some latitude should be extended to visitors,but a blatant breaking of the law is not right in my books.

I have not seen on here any mention of death occurring ,I only read about accidents.But then like people hiring bikes & riding without any experience it's just a matter of time. :o l

I have to agree with those who say they are dangerous. I worked for years with quads in Northern BC, we used them to bring supplies in and out of the bush. They are fine when you know what you are doing, but joe punter should not be allowed to ride one on the road.

I remember a couple of occasions when someone experienced got into a sticky spot off road and ran over their own leg. Imaging a drunk coming home fro a night in Chawaeng?

for that matter if you cannot ride a rental motorcycle away from the shop without stalling it before you hit the first intersection, perhaps you shouldn't rent a bike. Koh Phan Ngan is worse than samui for this. your average tourist has no idea what they are getting into until they try to drive the length of the island with wife and baby on board only to find out that the roads are steep and they don't have the slightest idea how to use a clutch.

As for the nanny state, i appreciate that the absence of such regulations can be a blessing at times, but samui has enough problems, perhaps some form of regulation wouldn't hurt.

Edited by t.s

i cannot beleive anybody can support the use of these bikes on the roads, they are illegal and thats is, no tax no insurance no licence. i just paid 640k for new pick up what happens if one of them smacks into me. who pays Joe tourist is not going to be happy at a few 100,000 baht fine along with repairs for the quad bile etc. so what next joe tourist from Scunthorpe starts to like young children we just say ok he cannot do it at home and hey what he is having a good time. As for looking idiots, i saw 4 such souls ripping up Chaweng beach last week horns blaring, but they were having a good time so what, well they were until Central Samui Security pointed out the error of there ways and took the bikes off them.

cannot understand why so many expats here do not bother to go and do the driving test, it is dead easy also a great form of ID and most of all it means that insurance you pay for is worth something.

i cannot beleive anybody can support the use of these bikes on the roads, they are illegal and thats is, no tax no insurance no licence. i just paid 640k for new pick up what happens if one of them smacks into me. who pays Joe tourist is not going to be happy at a few 100,000 baht fine along with repairs for the quad bile etc. so what next joe tourist from Scunthorpe starts to like young children we just say ok he cannot do it at home and hey what he is having a good time. As for looking idiots, i saw 4 such souls ripping up Chaweng beach last week horns blaring, but they were having a good time so what, well they were until Central Samui Security pointed out the error of there ways and took the bikes off them.

cannot understand why so many expats here do not bother to go and do the driving test, it is dead easy also a great form of ID and most of all it means that insurance you pay for is worth something.

Reality check guys. Bikes are dangerous. Quad are dangerous. Cement mixers up your ar*e are dangerous. Driving drunk in a tank is dangerous. Sticking your c**k in some massage bird is dangerous. Wake up, smell the coffee. You are living in the biggest toursit destination in the world. Same as Spain, Greece, Ayia Napa, Portugal etc etc. You dont living here on in this sort of atmosphere then move.

Quads or whatever other idea someone brings to the island makes money for the community, brings more tourists, increases the value of your land and property and thats that.

Reality check guys. Bikes are dangerous. Quad are dangerous. Cement mixers up your ar*e are dangerous. Driving drunk in a tank is dangerous. Sticking your c**k in some massage bird is dangerous. Wake up, smell the coffee. You are living in the biggest toursit destination in the world. Same as Spain, Greece, Ayia Napa, Portugal etc etc. You dont living here on in this sort of atmosphere then move.

Quads or whatever other idea someone brings to the island makes money for the community, brings more tourists, increases the value of your land and property and thats that.

They also bring more money in for the local hospitals. And yes I am moving.

If you really think that the most dangerous road in Thailand is a playground for having fun then you have a problem.

They also bring more money in for the local hospitals. And yes I am moving.

If you really think that the most dangerous road in Thailand is a playground for having fun then you have a problem.

I agree Litebeer and in addition I fail to see how a load of morons driving round on quad bikes is going to bring in more tourism and enhance the value of property!!!

As Lite Beer said, can we get some perspective?

Its a few clowns driving quads on a tourist isalnd. Its not quite the Grand Prix, so dont worry about it.

It could be argued that it was tourists who made Samui island what it is today, by doing touristy things that many of us get pissed of with. Granted, we would all like a more peacfull life without dickheads running around larging it up, but the fact is the tourists come first. Even though many ex-pats live on Samui and have done for years, the people that come here for 2 weeks are the priority, as these are the driving force behind pretty much everything on the island. You may disagree, but i think thats a fair point to make?

Its a few clowns driving quads on a tourist isalnd. Its not quite the Grand Prix, so dont worry about it.

It could be argued that it was tourists who made Samui island what it is today, by doing touristy things that many of us get pissed of with. Granted, we would all like a more peacfull life without dickheads running around larging it up, but the fact is the tourists come first. Even though many ex-pats live on Samui and have done for years, the people that come here for 2 weeks are the priority, as these are the driving force behind pretty much everything on the island. You may disagree, but i think thats a fair point to make?

Hear hear. A bit of perspective, but its the tourist that have made the Samui economy and it is that exact economy that has made your prop value go up.

End of story.

It all depends on the grade of tourism you wish to attract if you want Samui to become an extention of low grade resorts such as Tenerife and Spain then morons driving round on quad bikes will probably help you achieve that aim!

Hear hear. A bit of perspective, but its the tourist that have made the Samui economy and it is that exact economy that has made your prop value go up.

End of story.

[

What is wrong with you guys? Doom and gloom. Quads are great. If 3000 THB is too expoensive for you then get a better paid job. Tourist love them. And this island is a tyourist resort. Dont like it get off.

Or Take them out for a day. Enjoy the safety of 4 wheels. The locals love it because you are not driving a gas drinking pollution problem 4x4 truck. Great for popping down to the shops to get some drink.

Stop moaning and get on with your life.

With a dumb-ass comment like that you've gotta be one of the guys who's renting the things out ??

i cannot beleive anybody can support the use of these bikes on the roads, they are illegal and thats is, no tax no insurance no license. i just paid 640k for new pick up what happens if one of them smacks into me. who pays Joe tourist is not going to be happy at a few 100,000 baht fine along with repairs for the quad bile etc. so what next joe tourist from Scunthorpe starts to like young children we just say ok he cannot do it at home and hey what he is having a good time. As for looking idiots, i saw 4 such souls ripping up Chaweng beach last week horns blaring, but they were having a good time so what, well they were until Central Samui Security pointed out the error of there ways and took the bikes off them.

At least on the Cook Islands you have to take a 1-2 hours course on learning-to-ride-a-moterbike when you don't have a license, and you receive a local license. This Thailand could learn from! But greed is stronger than dead or maimed falangs driving like maniacs! Check the accident rate on the Cooks and other "normalized" Islands, compared to Samui. It's not that you might kill yourself, with crazy driving, BUT you might kill me or my children while you're at it!

OK, let me post #50 on this thread....

Last time I was on Samui, some 4 months ago, I didn't see any of these quads, so it must be someting of the past few months.

It's simple, these quads are dangerous, especially on the (ring) roads, along Chaweng/Lamai beachroads and elsewhere; they simply go too fast and the only people who rent them are likely to be the same who rent the jetskis. :o

If they would create a special 'dirt track' where these holidayers could play around....fine, but not on public roads, they're dangerous enough already.

I'm afraid we just have to wait for a very serious accident to happen and one or more Farang and/or Thai (children :D ) are seriously wounded or even killed.

Maybe that will wake up the authorities.

I hope so.

LaoPo

Maybe that will wake up the authorities.

Really?

Slot it in between electrical power outlets in hotels and motorbikes without helmets.

???????? half of Thailand don't wear helmets. Come to think of it half the BIKIES in the world don't .In 1rst world countries they have SPECIAL dispensation Bikie groups= Lack of brains = MACHO Image. Oh I have a doctor's certificate , I can't wear a helmet bunch of ######s if you ask me.Come to SAMUI we all are EASY Rider syndrome :D:o

Part of the freedom of living in LOS, the little things such as not wearing a helmet. I came here to relax, have fun, de-stress... I wont be spending my time getting wound up about people not wearing helmets. Nothing shallow about that.... just my opinion that life is too short to worry about other peoples road saftey practaces.

If you feel strongly about it, you could make a difference. Something to help. Honestly, you realy could. Maybe 'Roos Angels' - red t-shirt, beret and all.

Part of the freedom of living in LOS, the little things such as not wearing a helmet. I came here to relax, have fun, de-stress... I wont be spending my time getting wound up about people not wearing helmets. Nothing shallow about that.... just my opinion that life is too short to worry about other peoples road saftey practaces.

If you feel strongly about it, you could make a difference. Something to help. Honestly, you realy could. Maybe 'Roos Angels' - red t-shirt, beret and all.

You are 100% correct. You can come to Samui and maim and kill yourself any way you like, as long as you do not take me and my family along with you.

Also do not get Samui confused with the rest of Thailand , they are not the same. Samui is a law unto itself.

Lite Beer - here we go again... How can you possibly derive an apparent intention to 'maim and kill' from a humble opinion that not wearing a helmet is not quite the end of the world.

I disagree with the notion that Samui is a law unto itself compared to the rest of Thailand. You will see many bizarre practices and illegalities in all areas of LOS. I spent a little time up north. The helmet law then was thus; day time, must wear helmet. Evening, don’t worry about it. Why?... Who knows? Who cares? They enforce the helmet law during the day when the town is busy and subsequently the traffic is slow, yet in the evening when the roads are open and the traffic is fast and driving impaired by copious amounts of Mekong, they can’t be bothered. Again, I don’t care. Not my business and I would rather focus on enjoying myself than fretting about it. But oh, wait - I guess my nonchalant manner makes me a killer.

[insult deleted. No flaming is allowed. /Meadish]

I saw something really weird today.

It was a mini-quad. It is obviously made for little kids, I mean it was very mini. About a little less than a meter long and about half a meter tall.

It was driving on the road with a Thai lady and a little boy. Had traffic backed up for a while because I guess it can't go very fast. Either that or she wasn't going very fast. Anyway, it was a weird site to see.

Lite Beer - here we go again... How can you possibly derive an apparent intention to 'maim and kill' from a humble opinion that not wearing a helmet is not quite the end of the world.

I disagree with the notion that Samui is a law unto itself compared to the rest of Thailand. You will see many bizarre practices and illegalities in all areas of LOS. I spent a little time up north. The helmet law then was thus; day time, must wear helmet. Evening, don’t worry about it. Why?... Who knows? Who cares? They enforce the helmet law during the day when the town is busy and subsequently the traffic is slow, yet in the evening when the roads are open and the traffic is fast and driving impaired by copious amounts of Mekong, they can’t be bothered. Again, I don’t care. Not my business and I would rather focus on enjoying myself than fretting about it. But oh, wait - I guess my nonchalant manner makes me a killer.

[insult deleted. No flaming is allowed. /Meadish]

Mind your words, flaming and bashing upon fellow members is against forum rules ! :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

excerpt:

" 2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger. "

LaoPo

Edited by meadish_sweetball

LaoPo- I know, just recieved a warning. To be honest, i realy did not think it was too much of a 'bashing'. Playground insult if anything, hence my selection in what i thought was a tame reply. Oh well.

For the record - the harmless insult was not directed at Lite Beer, as it may look above...

Sorry!

LaoPo- I know, just recieved a warning. To be honest, i realy did not think it was too much of a 'bashing'. Playground insult if anything, hence my selection in what i thought was a tame reply. Oh well.

For the record - the harmless insult was not directed at Lite Beer, as it may look above...

Sorry!

Kettle, I realise any remarks were not directed at me. It would not really worry me if they were.

I have spent the last 2 weeks in Khon Kaen. Police on every corner pulling in any one who does the slightest thing wrong. In Samui you only see them once a month near Tesco pulling Motor bikes for no helmets. Personally I hate driving on the ring road and when my wife goes out on it I worry like anything until she comes back.

Have a nice day and keep safe on those roads. :o:D :D