Quads

Rooo

I spent a little time up north. The helmet law then was thus; day time, must wear helmet. Evening, don’t worry about it. Why?... Who knows? Who cares? They enforce the helmet law during the day when the town is busy and subsequently the traffic is slow, yet in the evening when the roads are open and the traffic is fast and driving impaired by copious amounts of Mekong, they can’t be bothered.

I found Phuket to be the same, very strick on helmet law during the day and fines dished out evenly to Locals and tourists alike.

As soon as the sun went down , not a helmeted rider in sight .

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the freedom of living in LOS, the little things such as not wearing a helmet. I came here to relax, have fun, de-stress... I wont be spending my time getting wound up about people not wearing helmets. Nothing shallow about that.... just my opinion that life is too short to worry about other peoples road saftey practaces.

If you feel strongly about it, you could make a difference. Something to help. Honestly, you realy could. Maybe 'Roos Angels' - red t-shirt, beret and all.

Did you ever look at a book with pictures of people who were involved in accidents on the the Samui roads and didn't wear a helmet. Doesn't make for nice reading, but maybe a wake up call.

Next time ask the MiB if you can have a look.

Living in a tourist destination doesn't mean that you have to support anything that's on offer, especially knowing your average Joe checks in his brain and common sense at arrival on Samui airport.

Although there may not have been any accidents as of yet involving quads, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Did you ever look at a book with pictures of people who were involved in accidents on the the Samui roads and didn't wear a helmet. Doesn't make for nice reading, but maybe a wake up call.

Cool! They have books with these pictures! Sweet, where can I get one?

Just makes me wonder since how long you live on Samui and how many of the people you know here have been involved in accidents on the Samui roads.

Mafaso, just hope for you that your face doesn't end up in one those books otherwise it'd be a real cracker (pun intended), wouldn't it.

Edited by limbos

You have just cemented my opinion with a statement like that :o

Edited by Rooo

Mafaso, just hope for you that your face doesn't end up in one those books otherwise it'd be a real cracker (pun intended), wouldn't it.

I just want to look it at it, relax. Take a break. They are interesting to look at that is why they make them bimbos.

just go into any local police station and ask they will gladly show you, in fact some of the stations have the pictures on the wall. even better but your mobile number on your next post then when one of the other forum readers sees the real thing we can call you and tell you where to go and look at the real thing much better than pictures dont you think.

there is nothing cool about it perhaps one day you will have the pleasure of watching a tourist slowly bleed to death with his leg lying a few metres away from him as i did a few years ago. the only cool thing there was his body temperature going down. sorry mate i did not get any pics for you. lost for words with people like you

I dunno mate. I can think of better sources of entertainment. A tad on the sick side, if you dont mind me saying.

I am not your mate and I do mind you saying, you should only say things that you know what you are talking about. When in doubt, shut up. Why do you assume that I want to look for "entertainment". Why is that the automatic assumption?

I've seen books before and they are a great way to remind oneself just how fragile the human body is and how easily it can be mutilated. I wear a helmet now here on the island thanks to a book like that I saw a long time ago.

**flame removed***

Edited by sbk

>>I am not your mate and I do mind you saying

Tough <deleted>.

>>When in doubt, shut up

Im not in doubt. To doubt would indicate I devoted time and reflection pondering your stupid, single line post.

>>Why do you assume that I want to look for "entertainment". Why is that the automatic assumption?

Gee. Let me guess. You started by saying 'cool!' then declared the idea of a book full of 19 year old Sweedish kids with no brains was "sweet!" .

>>I've seen books before and they are a great way to remind oneself just how fragile the human body is and how easily it can be mutilated. I wear a helmet now here on the island thanks to a book like that I saw a long time ago.

You have seen books before? Congratulations. I have lots of books. I would help you out and lend you a few but I am afraid I lent my copy of 'Mr Tickle Goes To Toy Town" to my 5 year old niece.

***flame removed***

Edited by sbk

>>I am not your mate and I do mind you saying

Tough <deleted>.

>>When in doubt, shut up

Im not in doubt. To doubt would indicate I devoted time and reflection pondering your stupid, single line post.

>>Why do you assume that I want to look for "entertainment". Why is that the automatic assumption?

Gee. Let me guess. You started by saying 'cool!' then declared the idea of a book full of 19 year old Sweedish kids with no brains was "sweet!" .

>>I've seen books before and they are a great way to remind oneself just how fragile the human body is and how easily it can be mutilated. I wear a helmet now here on the island thanks to a book like that I saw a long time ago.

You have seen books before? Congratulations. I have lots of books. I would help you out and lend you a few but I am afraid I lent my copy of 'Mr Tickle Goes To Toy Town" to my 5 year old niece.

***flame removed***

just about to post a similar reply think words sweet and cool about mutilated bodies says it all. he is right about one thing i am not his mate, do not think he needs that helmet nothing to protect i assume!!!!!!!!

S B K. Do you not think that a stupid coment like this deserves some kind of response. :o

S B K. Do you not think that a stupid coment like this deserves some kind of response. :o

SBK responded already.

What do all these posts have to do with quads?

Shouldn't a moderator split this off to a "helmet or not" thread and clean it up?

Mark, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder (you want to moderate here?) We all know you're a journalist from another Island, but you rush in here and it seems (I might be wrong) as you want to change this forums set-up, is this the case?-Good journalists don't flame others with "dingus" words. :D:o

Edited by SamuiJens

• 2 months later...

Quads on Samui are funny.

normaly i need nevermore UBC since i am watching the "ding dong farangs" who drive that machines. Yesterday evening (I sit in front off my second livingroom ( Murphys/Chaweng). Quad comming ( young couple, man driving), parking in front of murphys and the couple go to "pizzacompany".

after 30 minutes couple came back. The man fully packt with pizzaboxes, now the lady went to drive. She starts, she use the gear and the quad begins to move. But the machine moves a littel to fast and hard. Will say the Quad beginns to fly.

But "no Pompem", there are 5 parking Motorbikes in front and they stop the Quadstart imidently.

Resumee:

Quad damaged, 5 Bikes crashed, Pizza an the street, Farrang-Girl finish, Farang-Man angry and together big fight.

Inside and outside from pup, big applause and laola same after a big footballgame.

Shouldn't a moderator split this off to a "helmet or not" thread and clean it up?

Mark, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder (you want to moderate here?) We all know you're a journalist from another Island, but you rush in here and it seems (I might be wrong) as you want to change this forums set-up, is this the case?-Good journalists don't flame others with "dingus" words. :D:o

This and my post are off topic and should have been removed.

No, I could never pass muster as a mod here. I am too open minded.

So am I and the mods. (most) do a hard fair job, as you say you can't cut the musterd! :D

Edited by SamuiJens

In February the Quads were everywhere! Now the only time I see them are when they are parked on the side of the road with a "For Rent" sign on them. It was a very quick fad that has seem to go out of fashion already. I see about 1/10 of what I saw 3 months ago actually being driven.

I feel for the shops that bought many many to sell. Their showrooms are filled with new Quads that are not selling.

And good it is that the fad is gone, was tired of crazed ppl that where stirring up dust and driving like crazy IMHO, many I saw! And don't feel sorry for the sellers, that's the way it goes when you go into a fad biz, have myself lost a small fortune on other fads, but thats life. Glad to see them go!

Please don`t try to tell the moderators how to do their job Mark Wolfe. We have very good eye sight.

Moderating decisions are for the Moderators and for Admin.

I look forward to seeing more of your `open minded` posts.

Glad to see them go!

hmm, shure that they go? Me not!

remember few years befor, Jetski`s comming to Samui. All (local&expats) say this is the new FUN, shortly and it will go by the way.

Now-today, nothing is going. The only Fun is for Thai when the "dingdong Tourist" scratch that vehicle. Repair-prices are overloaded,

and and and........

Trust me, I know whats go up (Goverment-Volunteer). I see that old Problem every day and now comes a new above.

Glad to see them go!

hmm, shure that they go? Me not!

remember few years befor, Jetski`s comming to Samui. All (local&expats) say this is the new FUN, shortly and it will go by the way.

Now-today, nothing is going. The only Fun is for Thai when the "dingdong Tourist" scratch that vehicle. Repair-prices are overloaded,

and and and........

Trust me, I know whats go up (Goverment-Volunteer). I see that old Problem every day and now comes a new above.

Agree, that the Thai's are good to get extra money with "you scatch, and need new paint" (real a$$-holes) But I know that most ppl prefer a scooter (budge tourists) and there are some that want the big bikes, dirt bikes etc, and this includes quads, but not at such a high number as in the last 3-4 mo.

If you work in where it says , then the clientel are of a higher class, and would prefer a quad (over a scooter) or most would want a open car/jeep. There will always be some that want a quad, but not as many as you think IMHO

You say "trust me, you know what goes up (goverment-Volunteer)" What do you mean by this?

i came to phangan with the intention of starting a quad tour company for the purpose of taking customers to remote spots on the island. then within 2 weeks of me having my quad on the island 3 companies bought a bunch of them and i had to rethink my strategy.

now i'm in the boating game but still have a quad for personal use for getting around the island from time to time.

I'm selling it now if anyone is interested. its a 250cc with only 1000km on it. (i know this isn't the classified section but it is on topic)

post-34900-1177346958_thumb.jpg

It's simple, these quads are dangerous, especially on the (ring) roads, along Chaweng/Lamai beachroads and elsewhere; they simply go too fast and the only people who rent them are likely to be the same who rent the jetskis. :D

Whats wrong with renting a jet-ski? Its one of the funnest things to do in Samui. You know, "fun", doing a thing that you enjoy, maybe you should try it some day and stop being such an uptight ###### :o

Im actually thinking of renting a quad for a day the next time I go to Samui, seems like a lot of fun. Especially if I can find some places to do some off roading.

Edited by Hex

• 4 months later...

I'm no real expert on Quads, I have driven them a few times on 'pay and play' days in the UK. My observations are that they are not safe for a novice on road, , It takes a lot of practice to be competent, Its not like Hiring a Honda dream and off you go, The handling is very unpredictable on a Tarmac surface, off-road they are great but equally unpredictable, lots of fun though. The first time we went out one of my freinds drove into a tree at speed and another hit a fence and turned it over on himself, Kinda like wacky races, I've just bought one though, great for going out to the Farm or exploring hill tracks around here, or bringing back a couple of bags of cow shit. Mine is lethal on Tarmac, The rear axle is fixed in that the rear wheels turn together kinda like a diff-lock , great on mud and grass but dodgy as hel_l at 50kph on a Tarmac road. Its definately not road legal, no tax, plates or anything, The law treats them same as a tractor or E-tok. I think there are road-legal ones about which are much more expensive as they are taxed as leisure vehicles. I'm no kill joy; I like my toys; but seriously they should be kept off the main roads and on the many dirt tracks we have in Thailand. One thing folks is you'd better get used to them, Our local shop in Chiang Rai has only been open 6 days, they've sold ten already.

offer price 53,000 baht for a 200cc, a few thousand less for a 150cc. same price as a good Scooter .