Keto Food in Bangkok!

RT85

hey guys..

just wondering how many of you are on Keto?

what are your favourite keto friendly snacks or foods?

where do you usually shop at?

don't have to be 100% purist for keto.. but just wondering how everyone else is doing.

I enjoy street foods still..

duck meat.. pork leg.... (hold the sauces! or very teeny bits of it is fine)

no deep fried stuff with batter or flours of course.

I have some cheeses, I have my coffee with coco nut milk.... or almond milk....

sometimes nestle creamer( macros are fine, but I've read many keo people against it.. it's from corn syrup!!!)

I do use some liquid stevia for taste.. though I try to stick to other flavours.. butter salt pepper cheese mayonnaise (the REAL stuff)

occasional snacks like seaweed (read the label! don't eat those fancy thick chewy crunchy type)

Cab Moo (pork knuckle) great in between snack or acts as a carb replacement in some meals

tuna in oil...

frozen spinach.. the occasional strawberry or black berry...

I haven't yet experimented going fast food chains for bunless/fryless/sugarless (cheat meals)

although I've had a few pieces of KFC original chicken.... skin and all. 

I do a lot of burger patties with beef or pork.... salt and pepper to taste.. with cheese or plain..

also I find salad really helps digestion and makes the meal feel lighter.

occasional can of light beer.. I have San Miguel Light... about 3.2 carbs per can/serve... pretty decent.

I also have pork skewers.. the kind in the malls and streets with fat chunks in the middle.. I usually ask for no sauce on it..

or if it is heavily sauced.. I actually dip it in water first.. and still tastes pretty good with just less guilt..

sorry for the unstructured post! but just wanted to know how many of you are on keto in Bangkok... I would love to know your favourite cafes/restaurants to go to or... innovative cheat meals.

cheers and stay healthy!

• Like 2

I am LCHF in the process of going on to Keto. I am largely grain, sugar and sugar substitutes free. I eat Thai food...canna moo grob without sauce.I eat the crispy pork and chicken and veg, all without sauces. Restaurant salad is usually ok, without dressings. Fried fish is ok. I usually find something in restaurants. I find ones that work and stick to them.

I cook at home most of the time. I make zoodles, (courgette noodles,) which I have as a rice, pasta  and  noodle substitute. I find recipes on low carb sites on the net. I use Aminos, wheat and sugar free soy. I too use a litre or more of whipping cream every week! Almonds are a snack for me too, also cheese....Gruyere has no carbs.

I monitor my daily nutrition on mynetdiary paid version. This makes it possible for me to keep on track, but it's not easy! 

I haven't  managed to find Keto sticks here, got glucose meter and sticks ok from Aliexpress  no problem. Would love to have a keto supply source here if anyone has one. I have to get supplies carried in by hand, which is not always easy.

A keto restaurant would be wonderful, but not sure it could make a profit! I haven't met many people on keto or serious LCHF here. 

• Like 2

As a retired guy with some health problems, I do Keto for breakfast and supper and whatever Thai food my wife make for lunch which will have for rice .

Breakfast is one liter Kefir smoothie with one mountain banana and chia seeds and fresh berries in season here on the mountain.

Supper has been home made yogurt with orange slices.

Lap moo is my restaurant meal choice. 7-11 snack is the so called footlong spicy processed hotdog made from anybody's guess. And do like some occasional dark chocolate.

Decaf coffee black with Control no sugar sweetener. Tried the stevia leaves and don't like. Guilty pleasure is Truslan coffee-probably 100% sugar and bad for me because it's 73% artificial stuff. Red wine couple times a week.

Results of this type eating is 12 kilo weight loss in  months and still shaped like a pear but at least the belly is getting smaller

• Like 1

I find it useless to be on strict keto diet.

Just do not eat rice, pasta and bread or anything sweet (sugar in coffee or tea is nothing), and the diet is already perfect.

The only problem with usual food is that we eat 90% of useless carbs, so just leaving bread, rice and pasta is good enough to feel the keto benefits.

It is also a lot easier to eat low carbs than being a vegetarian.

• Like 1

wow cool..

thanks for the input guys..

well I haven't exactly been very strict myself..

I believe in.. as strict as practical. after all I do want to try this for the long haul as a lifestyle choice as opposed to just a diet to drop the pounds.

as I mentioned in a previous post. the benefits I felt are below, and I have lost about 5kg in about 21 days. probably 1-2kg of water weight... but I'm feeling really good ... I still can be social. just more for coffee meet ups instead of full meals... and I have the occasional light .. low carb beer. san Miguel light is my favourite so far with 3.2 net carbs per can/serve.

"

1. no shaky hands or mystery ''wet toe sensation"

2. dark skin around my neck is almost completely gone, smooth and not "dirty" anymore.. used to feel eeky in the past.

3. never felt so in control of my appetite before.. it's pretty life changing for me. I thought missing carbs would hit me a lot harder.. and I have practically no carb cravings.. even with pizza!

4. very frequent urination has almost become more 'normal'.. use to be embarrassing when out with people they keep asking why I keep going to the bathroom.

"

thread was here: 

• Like 1

Thanks for the thread.  I'm mostly in Chiang Mai but also spend time in Bangkok.

Sounds like most most of us eating Keto have similar diets.

I too eat at home most of the time and cook a lot of chicken breast tenders in lots of butter and olive oil and whatever seasoning I feel like at the time, served with a massive pile of broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or occasionally snow peas.

I eat a large salad almost every day, but I find it rather expensive once I have added decent salad dressing (Brianna's or Litehouse (only the low carb varieties at ฿295/249 respectively per bottle), fresh grated Parmesan, Grana Padano or Asiago Cheese and Hormel real bacon bits.  The veggies are usually just mixed greens, Japanese cucumber and shallots (unfortunately, can't eat nightshades so red/yellow/green peppers and tomatoes are out.)

I don't eat any fruit or drink fruit juices.

Snacks are usually blue diamond almonds (I bring about 10lbs of the smokehouse almonds from California each time I come as the ones available here are completely different). Yup Brands PB&J flavored B-Up protein bars (google it) also brought from home.  King Oscar cracked black pepper sardines.  Various cheeses, and on occasion, Kep Moo, which I like to eat with fresh guacamole when I can get a decent avocado.

Eating out is a bit of a chore as I usually have to find somewhere with either a decent salad bar or a generously sized dinner salad.  I have eaten at Dressed a couple times in Bangkok and don't really feel that it's a good value.  I don't think that a Keto restaurant would go over well (yet?) as most people I know don't eat that way but I too wish there was some kind of Keto option such as trading in whatever starchy carb comes with the meal for a much larger serving of veggies (hold the carrots/corn/peas)

I mostly drink water but also fresh brewed ginger tea (with stevia) and have a couple cups of coffee with cream(er) and stevia and one Pepsi max or Coke Zero per day.  Alcoholwise, I average about one beer a month so that will be a high carb variety usually enjoyed with a "cheat meal" at whatever restaurant I'm at.

The one item I wish I could purchase easily is fresh spinach for both salads and cooking and I also wish there was a better selection of salad dressings at more realistic prices.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Airalee said:

Thanks for the thread.  I'm mostly in Chiang Mai but also spend time in Bangkok.

Sounds like most most of us eating Keto have similar diets.

I too eat at home most of the time and cook a lot of chicken breast tenders in lots of butter and olive oil and whatever seasoning I feel like at the time, served with a massive pile of broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or occasionally snow peas.

I eat a large salad almost every day, but I find it rather expensive once I have added decent salad dressing (Brianna's or Litehouse (only the low carb varieties at ฿295/249 respectively per bottle), fresh grated Parmesan, Grana Padano or Asiago Cheese and Hormel real bacon bits.  The veggies are usually just mixed greens, Japanese cucumber and shallots (unfortunately, can't eat nightshades so red/yellow/green peppers and tomatoes are out.)

I don't eat any fruit or drink fruit juices.

Snacks are usually blue diamond almonds (I bring about 10lbs of the smokehouse almonds from California each time I come as the ones available here are completely different). Yup Brands PB&J flavored B-Up protein bars (google it) also brought from home.  King Oscar cracked black pepper sardines.  Various cheeses, and on occasion, Kep Moo, which I like to eat with fresh guacamole when I can get a decent avocado.

Eating out is a bit of a chore as I usually have to find somewhere with either a decent salad bar or a generously sized dinner salad.  I have eaten at Dressed a couple times in Bangkok and don't really feel that it's a good value.  I don't think that a Keto restaurant would go over well (yet?) as most people I know don't eat that way but I too wish there was some kind of Keto option such as trading in whatever starchy carb comes with the meal for a much larger serving of veggies (hold the carrots/corn/peas)

I mostly drink water but also fresh brewed ginger tea (with stevia) and have a couple cups of coffee with cream(er) and stevia and one Pepsi max or Coke Zero per day.  Alcoholwise, I average about one beer a month so that will be a high carb variety usually enjoyed with a "cheat meal" at whatever restaurant I'm at.

The one item I wish I could purchase easily is fresh spinach for both salads and cooking and I also wish there was a better selection of salad dressings at more realistic prices.

Salad dressing when everybody knows that the only good healthy dressing is olive oil or balsamic vinegar ? What else do you really need ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbpbbp said:

Salad dressing when everybody knows that the only good healthy dressing is olive oil or balsamic vinegar ? What else do you really need ?

There are many different varieties of healthy salad dressings beyond a basic olive oil and vinegar. Brands such as Bragg, Primal Kitchen, Hilary's and Marzetti are just a few options.  I just don't really feel like making my own every day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Airalee said:

There are many different varieties of healthy salad dressings beyond a basic olive oil and vinegar. Brands such as Bragg, Primal Kitchen, Hilary's and Marzetti are just a few options.  I just don't really feel like making my own every day.

Yes, always a very good idea to eat processed food / dressing when the target is a healthy diet...

Just as important as sugar in coffee !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2017 at 12:33 AM, Airalee said:

Sorry but if you trust ang brand and factory product, it's a bit hopeless...

9 hours ago, questionsreplies said:

Sorry but if you trust ang brand and factory product, it's a bit hopeless...

I agree, if you're talking about the major brands such as Kraft, Heinz, Wishbone, etc. However, there are boutique brands that actually are quite healthy.  I trust some of those brands more than I trust the vegetables in Thailand.

I read that some of the posters drink soda (diet) - good IMO stay away from aspertaime - caused me issues with jitters - once off I felt better. Spoke with my doctor about this sweetner and he feels it is bad for people. Drink water.

It can be a challenge to keep on these eating plans - I have been on Paleo for the past 7 months , which takes planning, food selection and preparation work. However I feel the process is worth it.

Posted from Android using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2017 at 1:45 AM, Airalee said:

I agree, if you're talking about the major brands such as Kraft, Heinz, Wishbone, etc. However, there are boutique brands that actually are quite healthy.  I trust some of those brands more than I trust the vegetables in Thailand.

Try olive oil only, you do not need anything else, and anything that you do not make yourself is sh+t.

Tomatoes/capsciums only have 2.5 to 5% sugar. Instead of sauce on meat use cottage cheese. Not only a good low carb, high protein food but acts as a sort of sauce with any meat.

For breakfast I sometimes eat some spicy salami with cottage cheese and capscium. 2 sources of protein which are filling plus a small carb hit.

Eating stacks of walnuts too. Excellent source of good fats and low carb.

www.floridatomatoes.org/news-events/10-reasons-why-you-should-be-eating-more-tomato

Night shades are very good for you. Only 2.5% to 5% sugar.

1 tomato or 1 capscium will do more good than harm.

I avoid the high sugar fruits but not the nightshades which provide a nutrition hit with not too much sugar.

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Why are you lot on this diet?  Is it to loose weight, build muscles or be healthy?

All of above. I dont follow a set diet  though. Ive worked out foods i like that are low sugar/carb and high good fat or protein. Feel better and fuller longer. Eating high carb foods i feel energy goes up and down and get hungry after 1 hr. Eating a double protein meal with low carbs i feel full for 5 or 6 hours. The human body was designed to process fats and turn into energy. Prior to the 1970s people didnt eat lots of carbs but now they do and obesity is so common cause these high carb foods dont fill you up and are addictive so people over eat them while they contain limited nutrition.

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

All of above. I dont follow a set diet  though. Ive worked out foods i like that are low sugar/carb and high good fat or protein. Feel better and fuller longer. Eating high carb foods i feel energy goes up and down and get hungry after 1 hr. Eating a double protein meal with low carbs i feel full for 5 or 6 hours. The human body was designed to process fats and turn into energy. Prior to the 1970s people didnt eat lots of carbs but now they do and obesity is so common cause these high carb foods dont fill you up and are addictive so people over eat them while they contain limited nutrition.

That’s a great synopsis.  I too include those reasons although weight loss isn’t as much of an issue (although I do like the added bonus of shedding the water weight) On a Keto diet I weigh in at 87kg consistently (193cm) but when I cheat (badly) and go out of ketosis for an extended period  (1 month +) I will find myself hovering between 90-93kg.  Unfortunately, due to a couple health issues that I choose to manage with my diet, instead of medication, I have to also eat an anti-inflammatory diet (moreso than just watching carb count) and have to forego nightshade plants (tomatoes and capsicums (which I miss both a lot) mushrooms and eggplants (don’t like either anyways).

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Swen said:

A small restaurant called FOR FIT'S SAKE, located on Sukhumvit road, 5 minutes walk from Asoke BTS, serve Keto on their menu. Calorie count is also there. Some items, like a Caesar salad could have a K-note to it to take croutons out. Tell them Keto for other items and they help you out. Good and tasty food.

https://www.facebook.com/forfitssakebangkok/

What are the prices like?