is it possible to live in thailand as long as you like this....

You are paying money for a TV, there is no limit to back to back Visas.

It is how to do it correctly.  If they see you are being a good citizen like not overstaying your Visa and properly leaving the Kingdom before the expiration date you can apply for a new TV as much as you want.  You will only get denied if they suspect you are working illegally.
There is plenty of other reasons you could be denied. No ticket out of the country/no proof of funds /to many tourists visa in a row from certain places /a IO in a bad mood. The more tourists visa you have in your passport the more you have to take in consideration the above. TV is the best way to make sure you know the rules.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What is the actual cost of a visa run? If you stay 20 years you might come close to the THB 1M of the Elite visa, which, in theory, gives you much greater comfort. I say in theory because I can't trust the Thais; if you read the fine print, they may discontinue their part of the deal and run away with my money.
I budget 2500 a month for Visa cost including extension buses hotel visa to loas.

3 hours ago, SEEDGER said:

The best "Loop Hole" is something called the "PE Visa". Plop down a million baht  and get 20 years of entry into Thailand handed out in 5 year installments.

But can we be sure the Thais will give us all 4 instalments? If I was I would take it.

• Haha 1

Having unexpectedly stayed here on TR visas for much of the last 12 months, I wish I'd applied for a non-O and retirement extension. Those 1900 Baht thirty day extensions are kind of pricey, not to mention travel costs to neighboring countries along with the stress of not knowing if you might be denied entry.

My two cents is if you are trying to stay here more than 3-5 months out of a year, pursuing another visa option would be totally worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CyclingLight said:

Having unexpectedly stayed here on TR visas for much of the last 12 months, I wish I'd applied for a non-O and retirement extension. Those 1900 Baht thirty day extensions are kind of pricey, not to mention travel costs to neighboring countries along with the stress of not knowing if you might be denied entry.

My two cents is if you are trying to stay here more than 3-5 months out of a year, pursuing another visa option would be totally worth it.

everyones situation is different. the retirement option may be best if of course you are of the age to qualify. business visas and work permits if you have a job, family visas if you have family. for those that have non of those, ie not retirement age, don't need to work and don't have a thai family or connection then TR AND Ed is often their cheapest options. some would call it a loophole or not the right visa for their intended stay. i would say immo continue to issue them for a reason and it's immos choice at the end of the day. sure things may change and often do but no doubt there will always be options to stay here should you have the means to support yourself. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2017 at 1:45 PM, CyclingLight said:

Yes but how can you obtain a longer Visa?

TR Visa is easy to obtain because you don't need a work permit or job or show bank statements or anything like that which is required for Non B Visa.

Also even if you got a Non B Visa, you still have to do a Visa run every 90 days! So the TR Visa is the best option.

Now if there was a way to stay in Thailand for 1 year without doing a Visa run.. thats the best option, but no one can get that. You need to he over 55 years old. or Married to a Thai person.  

6 hours ago, acenase said:

Now if there was a way to stay in Thailand for 1 year without doing a Visa run.. thats the best option, but no one can get that. You need to he over 55 years old. or Married to a Thai person.  

If you find a job, get a work permit and get a single entry non-b you can then apply for a one year extension of stay based upon working.

It is 50 years for retirement not 55. 

If you enroll in a language school you can get a single entry non-ed visa and the get 90 day extension at immigration for a total stay of one year.

There is also the Thai Elite membership option that allows you to get a 5 year multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries.

I've been on the Privileged Elite page and can not find anything that says you must do border runs. You are only required to report every 90 days in Bangkok.  it works out to about 3000.00 US a year. The upside is no border runs; keeping the individual safe from the mini buses of Death!

6 hours ago, SEEDGER said:

I've been on the Privileged Elite page and can not find anything that says you must do border runs. You are only required to report every 90 days in Bangkok.  it works out to about 3000.00 US a year. The upside is no border runs; keeping the individual safe from the mini buses of Death!

no need for border runs with elite visa, wouldn't be very elite if you had to do border runs. the company does the 90 day reports for you also I think. It's not bad on a yearly basis but I think they want 5 years upfront so say 15k US. A bit risky in my opinion but if you're sure you'll definitely still want to be here in a few years, are sure you won't have a life changing RTA, are sure the authorities won't just pull the plug on the visa then why not I guess? If you have the money for Elite Visa then you can do border runs by air to avoid those buses ; )

He definitely IS playing the system (based on OP's facts as stated), and rolling the dice every time he checks in at an Immigration desk.  And he's certainly not alone in running the numbers.  Sooner or later,  his number/their numbers will be up.  And then they come whining about it.  They're in detention; have no ticket; have no money; need help; had no idea; being treated unfairly; human rights violated, how do I appeal,,,,,,yadda, yadda, yadda.   Tourist visas are simply not for indefinitely remaining in the kingdom.  Period.

I particularly get a grin out of those whining that anybody here is posing as a "decision-maker" on this topic.  Of course it's Immigration's decision!  Every time (as in, EACH and every time!).  Duh.  The fact that some scofflaw has been getting by only means some scofflaw has been getting by.   'Not really news.  Even the slow learners however should be able to understand that's NOT a guarantee of continued success in doing it.  But you know how it is.  Sometimes a child has to actually get his fingers burned before he knows not to touch the hot stove.  (And if he then insists it was the stove's fault, he's probably not long for the gene pool.)

• Like 1

no need for border runs with elite visa, wouldn't be very elite if you had to do border runs. the company does the 90 day reports for you also I think. It's not bad on a yearly basis but I think they want 5 years upfront so say 15k US. A bit risky in my opinion but if you're sure you'll definitely still want to be here in a few years, are sure you won't have a life changing RTA, are sure the authorities won't just pull the plug on the visa then why not I guess? If you have the money for Elite Visa then you can do border runs by air to avoid those buses ; )
Yes if it was for a year I reckon a lot more people would go for it. But still not me.

33 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Not if he is using Tourist visas to live here.

The clue is in the name of the visa -  Tourist - and that he is 'living' here. 

What if someone got laid off from work and has all this money to travel but instead of traveling to different places around the world, decides to rent a condo for a year and stay in Thailand? You can still live in Thailand and still be a Tourist. The rules are that you have to leave every 3 months with no employment. 

I have been doing back to back Tourist visas and multiple Visa exempts before I even started applying for a Visa and the only thing they questioned me was "Are you working here?" if you aren't doing anything illegal then there's no problem.  It's not tricking the system, because I am not eligible for a Non Immigrant Visa because I do not work in Thailand. So I would still apply for a Tourist Visa and follow the rules. The system is there for a reason. And as long as people are leaving after 90 days, not working and applying for a new Tourist Visa to continue their stay, there shouldn't be any problems.  theres no rules saying that you can only be considered a tourist in Thailand for a certain amount of months.

Edited by acenase
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Not if he is using Tourist visas to live here.

The clue is in the name of the visa -  Tourist - and that he is 'living' here. 

He is using the system correctly to gain tourist visa's.  If a Thai immigeation officer questions him as to why he has x amount of TV its up to him to explain why. 

Its not really in the name nothing in Thailand is that simple.

• Like 1

My oh my the tripe the visa runners come out with. [emoji23]
Wow you still at it I remember your name from a couple years ago on Thread a bit like this. Do you Hang out on TV forum just having a pop at people on Tourist Visas. You must have saw the title thought I can have a moan what are you so bitter about?

Why do you think it's your job to act like Judge and Jury. If they didn't want us here they wouldn't give us Tourist Visas. As long as we are not working here and spending our money here what dose it matter.

• Like 1

Using Tourist Visa after Tourist Visa after Tourist Visa to live in a country long term is.... wait for it...... 'using the system correctly'. [emoji23]

Comedic quality. [emoji106] 
If we don't lie and they can see our passports what are doing wrong. They must think it's OK or they wouldn't give us the Visas. They could stop it if they wanted to.

Using Tourist Visa after Tourist Visa after Tourist Visa to live in a country long term is.... wait for it...... 'using the system correctly'. [emoji23]

Comedic quality. [emoji106] 
I see you don't mind stealing TV is that using the system correctly?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/908702-List-of-Free-TV-Streaming-Websites.

Or is that how you make a bit of extra cash of the side somehow?

Seems a bit strange you need a complete list are you building a Web site or something?

Do you have a work permit for that?

Is it legal?

If my suspicions are right you're the one abusing the system

• Like 1

don't worry juice 777. you get these old smug farts on their retirement visas think they own the gaff. ooh, look at me. I'm a resident. I have all the docs. they're funny. they get ID's and shit that make them feel kinda local. let them feel special ; ) it doesn't affect you. He won't be refusing your next tourist visa as it has FA do to with him.

• Like 1

don't worry juice 777. you get these old smug farts on their retirement visas think they own the gaff. ooh, look at me. I'm a resident. I have all the docs. they're funny. they get ID's and shit that make them feel kinda local. let them feel special ; ) it doesn't affect you. He won't be refusing your next tourist visa as it has FA do to with him.
The funny thing is if my memory serves me correctly he isn't a old fart .I asked him that before and I think he's in his 30s.God knows what he will be like when he is 60.