UK Visitor visa - wife's "income"

I'm in the process of doing my wife's UK Visitor visa application.  She had a UK Marriage Visitor visa last year, but at that time we were not married and didn't live together, so I gave her money to support herself and our son.  Now we live together as a family in Bangkok, with our 2 year old son, and I continue to support her without actually "giving her" her own money.  Basically, my salary supports all of us, although I am helping her build up some savings for her and our son and paying for a house in Laos (there's quite a big age gap between us, so I won't be around forever!).

On the form is asks "Do you have savings, property or other income?" - We're building a house in Laos (but it's not finished), she has built up around 100,000 baht in savings which I have given her, but she has no income of her own as such.  If I select "YES", the box only refers to "income" and not savings.  Should I just leave it blank?

"How much do you spend on living costs?" - Well, as she has no income of her own - everything for my family is paid by me and we spend together as a family, so should I but "0" or do they want to know how much we spend as a family?

"What is the cost to you personally of your trip?" - She's not paying anything (in fact she'd happily not go!), so presumably I put "0"?

"The total amount of money you have for this trip" - She has none as I am paying for everything - we're travelling as a family. Do I put 0 or do I calculate how much of the money for our trip is to cover her costs?

"The cost of tickets" - do I put the cost of just her ticket, or the cost of the tickets for all of us?

"The cost of your living expenses" - apart from the poor English, presumably this means what will be spent while in the UK?  Again, do I estimate what her expenses will be, or for the whole family?

"Please select what the relationship is to the person who is contributing to the payment for the trip" - Spouse doesn't appear in the drop-down box, so I guess it has to be 'Partner'.  I'm hardly "contributing" to the trip - I'm paying for everything!

"What is the total amount?" - Does this mean just the cost for her, or the cost for the whole family's trip?

Having successfully completed one of these before, I thought it would be easier this time, but being married to the applicant and travelling together as a family seems to complicate things.  Am I applying for the right visa, or is there a "Family visit visa" which might be better?  We are staying with my sister (her sister-in-law) but it's really just Christmas trip for our son.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks Pdaz that's helpful.  I definitely won't mention the house we are building as it's not finished and there is no documentary evidence of it being hers! 

I guess I just need to clarify the situation regarding her "income" (or lack of it) in the notes and my Sponsor's letter, as the application form is ambiguously worded.

Presumably I am applying for the correct visa?!

• Like 1

Yes, silly as it seems even though she is your legal spouse you have to get a "standard visit visa " along with the rest of the Worlds tourists. No concessions for being a Brit's wife.  From memory its about 4500 baht for 6 Months and 15K for 2 years and 30k for 5 years.

I'm applying for another 2 year one as sometimes I make a trip on short notice.

Be aware that you now have to download and print a barcoded cover sheet for each section of the evidence you provide.

All the evidence has to be on an A4 sheet for easy scanning by the visa staff. So anything smaller than A4 ( like a bankbook) has to be photocopied onto an A4 sheet.

Check it out at http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/Thailand/pdf/scanning-process-docs.pdf   if you haven't done so.

My wife is going up to Bangers on Tuesday arvo. Was going to be Monday but that was a "premium" timing and they wanted to charge an extra 3000 baht..... F F S !

Good luck.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Yes, silly as it seems even though she is your legal spouse you have to get a "standard visit visa " along with the rest of the Worlds tourists. No concessions for being a Brit's wife.  From memory its about 4500 baht for 6 Months and 15K for 2 years and 30k for 5 years.

I'm applying for another 2 year one as sometimes I make a trip on short notice.

Be aware that you now have to download and print a barcoded cover sheet for each section of the evidence you provide.

All the evidence has to be on an A4 sheet for easy scanning by the visa staff. So anything smaller than A4 ( like a bankbook) has to be photocopied onto an A4 sheet.

Check it out at http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/Thailand/pdf/scanning-process-docs.pdf   if you haven't done so.

My wife is going up to Bangers on Tuesday arvo. Was going to be Monday but that was a "premium" timing and they wanted to charge an extra 3000 baht..... F F S !

Good luck.

Wow, that's new.  I didn't have to do that with the Marriage Visitor visa last year.  What a pain.

• Sad 1

The scanning of documents isn't for visit visas, it's only for settlement  visas and those applying for Points Based System 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
It will probably be brought in for visit visa if and when they are also processed in the UK.

It's also worth noting the information given on the VFS Website

VFS said:

On 21 April 2017 a new process will be introduced to digitally scan all documents submitted in support of settlement visa applications made at the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok. The same new process will be introduced at the Visa Application Centre in Chiang Mai on 28 April 2017.

The Visa application process for all categories of Transit, Visitor, Short-term Students (not Tier 4 see above), Overseas Domestic Worker and all other non-PBS short-stay categories remains unchanged.
Before you visit the Visa Application Centre please click here to view details.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theoldgit said:
The scanning of documents isn't for visit visas, it's only for Settlement Visas and those applying for Points Based System 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
It will probably be brought in for visit visa if and when they are also processed in the UK.
It's also worth noting the information given on the VFS Website

Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, Pdaz said:

I just did this a couple of days ago. Luckily my wife works and happily coughs up to go to the UK. But doesn't really make the questions any easier as they are a bit ambiguous. Being a self employed entrepreneur seems to be worse than having a stable but poorly paid office job.

Anyhow. The main thing with the application is for it to be truthful. No point inventing an income stream that doesn't exist. Mother or Housewife is perfectly good.

So if neither you nor your wife own a property say "No" but you can list her 100,000 baht savings ( as long as you have a bank book to prove it )

Work out your usual total living costs for your family . I presume you aren't living on 20K a Month ? it's to show you aren't impoverished and can afford the UK.

Cost personally is "Nothing"

Cost of tickets is cost of both - It's only there for info as she isn't paying

Her living expenses in UK are nothing - You are paying

Partner is fine - I would mention in previous answers that "my husband is covering all family expenses"

There is a section at the end for extra info. You can add that she is a housewife and has access to your funds for normal day to day costs.

Before I was married to my wife I also included a letter saying that although she had cash I was able to meet any costs incurred in emergencies etc. Also an invitation from my father stating that we could stay with him.

My wife has been through this 8 times now.. $450 odd dollars to visit my own country with my wife.. Disgusted to be honest.

What i can never understand is why after a certain number of trips, where the spouse (yours as an example) having proved that they abide by the country's visa regulations and you have both shown through action that you have a long term and genuine marriage that the spouse isnt then given an un-restricted entry path to visit family and friends on demand. I'm just going through this again for an Australian visa for my wife who has been to Australia a dozen times and has had several 1 year multiple entry visas. I'm actually British and we were going to visit the UK this year but we couldnt be bothered with the visa hassle.

• Like 1

Yes, I have no intention of every living there. My wife enjoys a holiday there but has no aspirations to become 'A Brit'

However she is married to one so some sort of concession would be encouraging.. But no.

Guess we have to look at it from the other way around. What concessions do the Thai Govt give us for being married to a Thai ? Basically none. You can apply for an extension to stay every year. But beyond that, no status or guarantees.

We're being treated shi77ily by both Govt's in reality but I guess at least she could gain UK residency eventually if I was willing to live in the UK for a few years... More than I will ever get from the Thai govt I suppose.

Funny how the UK govt seems to bend over backwards to assist migrants, the stateless and the potless. But doesn't make an easier path for the self supporting, qualified and solvent professional.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Yes, I have no intention of every living there. My wife enjoys a holiday there but has no aspirations to become 'A Brit'

However she is married to one so some sort of concession would be encouraging.. But no.

Guess we have to look at it from the other way around. What concessions do the Thai Govt give us for being married to a Thai ? Basically none. You can apply for an extension to stay every year. But beyond that, no status or guarantees.

We're being treated shi77ily by both Govt's in reality but I guess at least she could gain UK residency eventually if I was willing to live in the UK for a few years... More than I will ever get from the Thai govt I suppose.

Funny how the UK govt seems to bend over backwards to assist migrants, the stateless and the potless. But doesn't make an easier path for the self supporting, qualified and solvent professional.

I would say say that a paltry 40,000 Baht p.m. financial requirement is a pretty decent concession.

Wife and 2 kids in Thailand.... £930 p.m.

Wife and 2 kids in UK... more than double that.

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I would say say that a paltry 40,000 Baht p.m. financial requirement is a pretty decent concession.

Wife and 2 kids in Thailand.... £930 p.m.

Wife and 2 kids in UK... more than double that.

No kids, Wife pays our bills. I prefer the retirement extension. Less paperwork.

40k a month isn't a concession it's their estimate of the bare minimum required for a foreigner and family to exist in Thailand.

They are trying to prevent the country being swamped with the Worlds poor and the Thai Govt receiving a big medical bill sometime in the future. Hardly altruistic. Lucky for many the requirement continues to be "grandfathered"

In the UK you could be out of work and recieve up to 28K GBP a year in benefits. A tad more generous I think.

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

No kids, Wife pays our bills. I prefer the retirement extension. Less paperwork.

40k a month isn't a concession it's their estimate of the bare minimum required for a foreigner and family to exist in Thailand.

They are trying to prevent the country being swamped with the Worlds poor and the Thai Govt receiving a big medical bill sometime in the future. Hardly altruistic. Lucky for many the requirement continues to be "grandfathered"

In the UK you could be out of work and recieve up to 28K GBP a year in benefits. A tad more generous I think.

At the end of the day it all depends where you want be.

Edited by Jip99

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Probably because you're trying to it legally that immediately flags up all kinds of problems!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks Pdaz that's helpful.  I definitely won't mention the house we are building as it's not finished and there is no documentary evidence of it being hers! 

I guess I just need to clarify the situation regarding her "income" (or lack of it) in the notes and my Sponsor's letter, as the application form is ambiguously worded.

Presumably I am applying for the correct visa?!

I have done it 6 times now in the last 7 years and I have never submitted any document in respect of my wife's finances. Regarding the questions I put in token amounts, eg £200/month income from me, 75% spent on living expenses , £400 available for the trip( usually 4 weeks), zero cost to herself and all else I think totals for the trip to be paid by me.

Your Sponsor letter is the most important supporting document which can be used to highlight significant factors in respect of the relationship and your ties to Thailand. I always include a copy of my yellow book and embed in the sponsor letter an image of my wife and I at the gate to the house as well as the bank statements.

The very last question asks about additional information. I always put there a list of all documents submitted.

If you have any doubt over how you started the application, it can just be deleted and start again. Good luck.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, Pdaz said:

My wife has been through this 8 times now.. $450 odd dollars to visit my own country with my wife.. Disgusted to be honest.

22 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Yes, silly as it seems even though she is your legal spouse you have to get a "standard visit visa " along with the rest of the Worlds tourists. No concessions for being a Brit's wife

Can you name one country who allow the foreign spouses of their citizens to visit without having to follow the same visitor rules and requirements as everyone else?

Not saying it's right, but that's life in the 21st century.

The UK used to have a separate category of family visit visa, but that was combined with most other categories into the standard visit visa a few years ago. However, when asked for the reason for the visit in the application there is still a sub category of visit family, which we have used for recent visits by my sister in law and my step son and his wife.

BTW, the fee for a 6 months standard visit visa is $121, a two year one is $458 and so is not, in my opinion, worth the cost as it only really gives you two visits in that period. Better to go for a 5 year one, $832, or a 10 year one, $1043.

If living together in Thailand with a history of UK visits where the conditions were adhered to, then there should be no problem in your wife obtaining a 10 year one. It's expensive, but cheaper in the long run: especially as the fees increase each year.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

8 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

What i can never understand is why after a certain number of trips, where the spouse (yours as an example) having proved that they abide by the country's visa regulations and you have both shown through action that you have a long term and genuine marriage that the spouse isnt then given an un-restricted entry path to visit family and friends on demand. I'm just going through this again for an Australian visa for my wife who has been to Australia a dozen times and has had several 1 year multiple entry visas. I'm actually British and we were going to visit the UK this year but we couldnt be bothered with the visa hassle.

Are you saying that after a certain number of visits the foreign spouse of an expat Australian no longer needs any form of visa or entry clearance to visit Australia?

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Which is what we do with my sister in laws applications. Putting zero in the various boxes where appropriate, with, if the system allows, a note "See additional information" or "See sponsor's letter" where the situation is explained and/or clarified. 

• Like 1

What I meant was after being legally married to a Brit for a number of years it would be nice if she could get a passport or travel document that made it easier to travel when accompanied by her Brit partner.  Pie in the sky ? Yes. But I can dream. For me the only disadvantage to being married to a Thai partner is the pain of travelling with her Thai passport. If we are in the UK and on a whim decide to go to Italy she can't unless we've sorted a Shengen visa in BKK first.

Same for a raft of other countries, visa free or visa on arrival for Brit but none for Thai..

Yes I know she can gain a UK passport if we go live in the UK but that's unrealistic as I haven't lived there for 30 years and my career is based in Asia.  Oh well. Rant over :)

14 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Feel your pain. Getting worse with Brexshit and the pound. Stay Thailand and keep head down is answer. 

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

No, I said it's a shame a system like that isn't in place

I think it's a shame that anyone needs a visa for anywhere and people cannot simply travel the world freely.

But that is the world we live in.