Push Fork Into Spoon, Do You Eat Thai Style?

Jingthing

Do you push fork into spoon, Thai style?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gone native yet, in the eating utensil department?

I have noticed without thinking sometimes eating non-Thai food the Thai fork into spoon way. Thai food always.

I was even doing this in Farangland for some foods, and boy do you get stares! I like to imagine they think I was raised by wolves or am fresh from some institution for special people.

Not talking about eating Asian noodles (well soups anyway), which should be eaten with chopsticks anywhere you are.

Edited by Jingthing

In my last house we did not have a single knife, (for eating). It was embarrassing on night when we had western guests for dinner and had to borrow from next door! Now i keep some just for such emergencies

I have noticed without thinking sometimes eating non-Thai food the Thai fork into spoon way. Thai food always.

I was even doing this in Farangland for some foods, and boy do you get stares!

Not talking about eating Asian noodles, which should be eaten with chopsticks anywhere you are.

Oh yeah, they stare me ALL THE TIME!! when my noodles comes and I ask for spoon and fork instead of chopsticks! Ha. I think chopsticks make so much mess or maybe I'm not good at using it (as pro) :o I don't know.

With steak and others westerners food, of course I use the knife and fork!! Can't chop the steak with spoon and fork, can we?

I have noticed without thinking sometimes eating non-Thai food the Thai fork into spoon way

<deleted> are you on about now? "Push Fork Into Spoon" doesn't mean anything to me.

I can't remember the amount of times I complained in LOS for not having a knife - sometimes even for a steak, spoon & fork is all.

Now I live i the UK and use only these 2 utensils.....maybe it is because my eating habits have changed.

However I went from hate - to love :D

Love SE Asia, would be there if I could !

Kankaroo

'Slurp', 'Scoop', 'Twist', CHOMP Mmmmmmmmmmm Aroyyyyyyyyy :o

Edited by kankaroo

I have noticed without thinking sometimes eating non-Thai food the Thai fork into spoon way

<deleted> are you on about now? "Push Fork Into Spoon" doesn't mean anything to me.

Really? Defies credulity (my new favorite phrase).

Anyway, please don't be rude:

Thais eat most dishes with a fork and tablespoon. The fork is held in the left hand and is used to push food onto the spoon. Food is always eaten from the spoon. Thai's consider it rude to put a fork into one's mouth.

//off-topic commercial link to restaurant removed - lopburi3//

Edited by lopburi3

Really? Defies credulity (my new favorite phrase).

Irrespective of your perception of credulity I also do not understand the question. Do you mean use the fork to guide the food onto the spoon and then spoon food into mouth?

If so, then yes when I eat Thai food I use the spoon as the most convenient implement for conveying food to mouth.

As for farang food, it depends on the actual dish and how it's prepared. Obviously, as others stated, it is impractical to eat steak without a knife and it would be a bit daft to eat fish and chips likewise. But stews (provided all ingredients are bite sized), cottage/shepherds pies and other such dishes I eat with fork 'n' spoon, again because it is the most convenient implement.

"Waiter, where's me fork 'n' knife".

"Under yer fork 'n' nose".

I hardly see that as the "Thai style" of eating, I just see it as normal (The only knives we have in our house are used for food preparation and not for eating). But then again I typically don't eat what you may define as "Farang Food". I find it hard to believe that in "Farangland" people would even blink an eye at this manner of eating (unless of course THEY were the ones raised by wolves....not that I've ever eaten with wolves, maybe they do use a fork and spoon!?!).

With my wife being from the North East I guess I would define "Thai Style" as eating with your hands.

Tried to vote "sometimes" but error was returned. Is the poll rigged?

Anyway makes a good deal of sense to me to push food onto a large table spook using a fork.

But glad to see you're now off the farang kick

always eat thai food with a spoon ,but when eating western food use a knife,never eat in cheap thai restaurants so dont have the problem trying to cut my steak with a spoon :o

After we were living in Los Angeles for several years, I started using the spoon in Thai restaurants when it was provided in that style... but, thinking back I cannot remember when this change occurred or why. Before that, I think my wife often used a fork in US Thai restaurants when dining with me, but I think she'd use a spoon when in a big group of Thai student friends.

Then, when we moved to Bangkok I spent a few months in some stubborn reactionary mode, using a fork at home in spite of the difficulties I had scooping the loose, small bits of food my mother-in-law cooked. I eventually switched back to a spoon and noticed that this sure was a lot easier. :o

Now when I visit the US, I feel a bit ambivalent in Thai restaurants. I've not encountered outright stares, but apparently it is more unusual for me to be eating with a spoon in some mid-western Thai restaurant than it was in Los Angeles. Sometimes I want to just blend in, but my local friends will make a fuss and try to get me a spoon, or make an elaborate announcement to the waiter about how I live in Thailand. I guess it's big excitement for them to go eating Thai food with Someone Who Lives In Thailand, so I try not to fuss about it too much...

then you must be ignorant or purposely obtuse

It's convenient to eat the way thai eat their food, as much it is convenient the way we farang eat western food.

it can be a bit embarrassing though, if you friends come for a first time visit and they insist to use the chopsticks for the Tom Yum Soup...and then for the main dish...not being used to use them can create quite a mess, as well as some amusement with the surrounding thai-community...!

It turned out like one of these slapsticks with "monsieur hulot".... :o

But then ever tried to eat (braised, undercooked) peas or large beans with knife and fork - western style? That can be quite challenging too!

I can't remember the amount of times I complained in LOS for not having a knife - sometimes even for a steak, spoon & fork is all.

Now I live i the UK and use only these 2 utensils.....maybe it is because my eating habits have changed.

However I went from hate - to love :D

Love SE Asia, would be there if I could !

Kankaroo

'Slurp', 'Scoop', 'Twist', CHOMP Mmmmmmmmmmm Aroyyyyyyyyy :o

Edited by zorro1

Gone native in that regards.

Now if I do not have the required utensils because I am eating at a western restaraunt, I look for some bread to act as my pusher, if no knife is around.

But hands down I love the deep scoop Chinese spoons.

Another thought provoking post. Like who the hel_l cares.

Apparently you cared enough to comment on how lame it was!

Anyway, yes, not an earth shaking topic. I think it's a great way to eat (fork into spoon) and the fact that so many of us have adopted it (along with the even greater Thai way, the bum sprayer) to me is a pleasant thing to consider. (For a change, 55555.)

Edited by Jingthing

I eat what ever is put in front of me, using the tools provided. If there is knife and fork, fork and spoon, or chopsticks I use them. If no eating equipment is there I look around to make sure it is not a mistake or someone is rushing into sight with eating irons and then use my right hand. Adapt to the environment, it causes less stress. :o

Another thought provoking post. Like who the hel_l cares.

Apparently you cared enough to comment on how lame it was!

Anyway, yes, not an earth shaking topic. I think it's a great way to eat (fork into spoon) and the fact that so many of us have adopted it (along with the even greater Thai way, the bum sprayer) to me is a pleasant thing to consider. (For a change, 55555.)

yep, u said it

wonder what your next poll's gonna be about... :o

(u got the message about the last closed one?)

:D

wonder what your next poll's gonna be about...

I feel a dry spell coming on.

Still wondering about Somchai, Johnny, and Lek, aren't you?

Sounds like the name of a politically correct Thai grammar school primer teaching kids to be tolerant of mixed gay farang-Thai couples with kids, huh?

Edited by Jingthing