Toilets In Thailand

rcm

Hi there,

When i first came to Thailand i was staying in a Tourist Style Hotel and did hang out on Places where Farang usually hang out....Nana Area or so..

Now that i am married and living in Nakhon Sawan i am getting very often confronted with the " Spread your legs and kneel " Toilets. I am not really getting along with those :D . I often drive from Nakhon Sawan into BKK and my favorite Place to stop is at the Shell Petrol Station in Singburi . It has nice (Thai) Food there at Nongpeal Restaurant too. And "regular" Toilets as well...they even got those Lamps to make it smell nice there... :D

Does anybody ever get used to this kind of Toilets? Or even better tell us the favorite Place to stop over when you Travel in Thailand?

Thx for your feedback,

rcm :o

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am 6'4" so find problems with them. If I want to squat right down to a comfortable position and read the newspaper, then I must put my feet farther forward than the footmarks to avoid leaving a 'steaming surprise'.

I find that I am one of only a few Westerners that find it comfortable to squat (whilst chatting etc) like Asian people.

Why am I telling the cyberworld about my toilet habits?

Lets face it, Thai toilets, bad design work there. Western toilet with a bum gun is the way forward. biggrin.gif
I disagree Madness - they are much more hygenic and good if you are constipated. I found myself doing what i saw Bruce Lee doing in one of his movies - when I went to the toilet ini Amsterdam airport, I stood on the seat and played dive-bombers. :o Edited by Neeranam

Hi there,

When i first came to Thailand i was staying in a Tourist Style Hotel and did hang out on Places where Farang usually hang out....Nana Area or so..

Now that i am married and living in Nakhon Sawan i am getting very often confronted with the " Spread your legs and kneel " Toilets. I am not really getting along with those :D . I often drive from Nakhon Sawan into BKK and my favorite Place to stop is at the Shell Petrol Station in Singburi . It has nice (Thai) Food there at Nongpeal Restaurant too. And "regular" Toilets as well...they even got those Lamps to make it smell nice there... :D

Does anybody ever get used to this kind of Toilets? Or even better tell us the favorite Place to stop over when you Travel in Thailand?

Thx for your feedback,

rcm :o

Never really tried kneeling yet. Must really hurt your knees on the footpads.

kneel ? ? <deleted>?

squat mate , though as neeranam says , they are not the best size for tall people.

I have always thought that the squat position was medically recognised as the best position to sh1t , putting the least amount of strain on the arse end of the system.

When I got our Thailand house built in a small Issan village, I insisted on a western toilet. The other half was happy with either a western style or squat toilet. The builder compromised. We have a squat toilet at western style height - it's kind of like using a western toilet - without a toilet seat.

I will have to add a butt squirter - really getting to like them.

Now I am back in Australia - it feels really gross to use toilet paper again.

Peter

A small apartment I once rented here had a squat toilet. Being a private place, I just hung my pants or shorts on the nearest available nail. The butt squirters, as one poster mentioned, are great but some of them have the strength of a fire hose :o

I wanted one in our house for the novelty factor, we have more toilets than people after all. But the wife insisted that we have western style toilets throughout.

I must admit that I have only ever used a squat style once, the business part was ok, but the cleaning bit I found hard.

I say...keep your cr@p at home. :o

I am 6'4" so find problems with them. If I want to squat right down to a comfortable position and read the newspaper, then I must put my feet farther forward than the footmarks to avoid leaving a 'steaming surprise'.

I find that I am one of only a few Westerners that find it comfortable to squat (whilst chatting etc) like Asian people.

Why am I telling the cyberworld about my toilet habits?

Lets face it, Thai toilets, bad design work there. Western toilet with a bum gun is the way forward. biggrin.gif
I disagree Madness - they are much more hygenic and good if you are constipated. I found myself doing what i saw Bruce Lee doing in one of his movies - when I went to the toilet ini Amsterdam airport, I stood on the seat and played dive-bombers. :D

Agree wikth you here Neeranam. Although I'm 6'2" and find them just about ok.

When I first left LOS 10 years ago I stopped in Singapore on the way home. I went use the Loo and there were around 10 western loo's and 1 squat :D . Having spent months using the squats and feeling the benefit (no back troubles that I normally have), I went into the squat. Did the business and, when came out :D there was as line of Asians all waiting to use the squat. All stood mouths agape as I walked out. 3 pounds lighter..... :o:D

redrus

One caveat. If you hear a plop but it didn't come out your arse, check for your wallet. :D

...and at the sound of a "chink-plop" check for your keys. :o Personal experience.

And not forgetting the 'splash' that your mobile phone makes when it falls in. Boyfriend has lost 2 phones this way.

I cant get on with squat toilets at all, it is far to far all the way down from my ass. I have to take my shorts off in order to get my legs wide enough with enough squat to plop. :o

This was so bad when staying at the inlaws, that the built me my very own toilet and shower room :D

I cant get on with squat toilets at all, it is far to far all the way down from my ass. I have to take my shorts off in order to get my legs wide enough with enough squat to plop. :D

This was so bad when staying at the inlaws, that the built me my very own toilet and shower room :D

:o

Fabulous post....

For those that cant squat or are too drunk to squat....you can actually sit on them quite comfortably...had a mate with crook knees and this is what he did all the time....splash a bit of water over them first though...

I used to have a bit of trouble with them but soon mastered the art of the squat... :o

For those that cant squat or are too drunk to squat....you can actually sit on them quite comfortably...had a mate with crook knees and this is what he did all the time....splash a bit of water over them first though...

I used to have a bit of trouble with them but soon mastered the art of the squat... :o

Both my knees are shot out and I can't sqaut like I used to even 10 years ago so I usually splash water around.

At home all the toilets are western style.

Slightly of Thailand topic, last year I worked in Pakistan and used the Lahore to Islamabad motorway most days and there are several service areas with western style toilets.

Unfortunately most of the locals who used them squatted, but on top of the seat with their shoes on and I usually had to clean the toilets before I could use them.

:D

squat toilets are for peasants. especially when you have to clean yourself with rain water from the three foot high 'bath' next to the thing .........

Okl you got me..I am a peasant! I love the old squat lavvys.. :o

As for Europeans having squat toilets...I think you will find the cavemen were doing the old hole in the ground position alongtime ago in europe :D

Edited by lopburiguy

QUOTE(toptuan @ 2006-03-04 21:52:20) *

QUOTE(tywais @ 2006-03-04 19:36:34) *

One caveat. If you hear a plop but it didn't come out your arse, check for your wallet. bah.gif

...and at the sound of a "chink-plop" check for your keys. ermm.gif Personal experience.

And not forgetting the 'splash' that your mobile phone makes when it falls in. Boyfriend has lost 2 phones this way.

I lost a mobile this way - don't keep it in your shirt pocket and bend down to get a pail of water. Luckily there was a hairdressers next door, where I blew dry it back to working condition.

I've been to toilets in India where there weren't even a hole to aim at - all the previous crap was on the floor. :o

I could never squat, at school as a kid I used to fall over trying. It was always embarassing. Last year I wrecked my knee in a motorbike crash and now I can't even try to squat.

I am <deleted> if I am confronted with a Thai toilet. :o