Best British Breakfast Downtown

Ulysses G.

The Laughing Leprechan is gone. The Gatehouse Inn is closed again and I heard the same about the Queen Vic.

Where can I get a really good British breakfast when I am in the mood?

Hmm - best breakfasts in Chiang Mai. My speciality!

My preference is the Half Moon Bar on Moonmuang Soi 2 - the full monty for 140B. If my memory serves me right that's 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 eggs, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, chips, 2 toast and tea/coffee. they also do a slightly smaller version for 120B, but i like the big beast!!

On hot days I like the Queen Vic (just inside the moat on the northern side, on the road that runs North to south through the old city - can't remember the name, sorry). They also do a big British style breakfast for about 150B and it's air conditioned...

See you all there on the weekend!

UG, have you tried Gypsy's breakfast at the Rose Guest House? It's not the full, full monty bit it's a fair old chunk of monty and you can add extras.

BTW - I was chatting to Mr Gypsy this morning over my English breakfast with extra hash browns and he mentioned that today is his anniversary, his 20th anniversary of settling in Chiang Mai which is within a couple of days of his 30th anniversary of first visiting! Long live Gypsy, his cold cuts and his BBQs!

JxP

ChiangMaiAjarn (that nick keeps you nicely anonymous!) and Austhaied - do you happen to know the opening times for the Queen Vic and the Half Moon?

My breakfast venues are Mad Dog, Rose Guest House, Art Cafe (when I can be @rsed to look for a parking space!) and Bake & Bite as they are all pretty much up and running in time to pop in after the school run.

JxP

UG, have you tried Gypsy's breakfast at the Rose Guest House? It's not the full, full monty bit it's a fair old chunk of monty and you can add extras.

Sounds worth a try. I just started going there at night, but I like the dishes that I've had so far.

Also, I should try Mad Dog while it is still cool. I like Nick, but I tend to go to air-con places when it is hot and then I forget about the others when it is not. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

ChiangMaiAjarn (that nick keeps you nicely anonymous!) and Austhaied - do you happen to know the opening times for the Queen Vic and the Half Moon?

My breakfast venues are Mad Dog, Rose Guest House, Art Cafe (when I can be @rsed to look for a parking space!) and Bake & Bite as they are all pretty much up and running in time to pop in after the school run.

JxP

I just checked http://www.queenvicchiangmai.com/ to get the opening times... Interesting website :o I have to agree though, great breakfasts at the Vic.

Best value for money is Mad Dog's Super breakfast:

Super – Fruit Juice, Tea or Coffee, 2 Eggs, Bacon OR Sausage OR Ham, Homefries, Tomato, Mushrooms, Toast, Butter and Jam................................................................95 baht

I can't speak for the current breakfast situation in CM but here in Patong I can offer one winner and it's interesting to note the price differences from CM.

The Islander in Patong Beach, right in the heart of tourist heaven and just off Bangla, full English breakfast goes for 200 baht. Two eggs, sausage, three slices of bacon, fried potato, baked beans, tomato, juice, toast and tea/coffee. It's a lot of food and the quality is quite high and on the two or three times a week I eat there I am always satisfied - service is good. Their Cumberland sausage is especially good but at 65 baht each (ala carte) but they are pricey, shipped out of Bangkok.

I have no connection with the Islander, just offering a recommendation and a contrast price wise.

BTW - I was chatting to Mr Gypsy this morning over my English breakfast with extra hash browns and he mentioned that today is his anniversary, his 20th anniversary of settling in Chiang Mai which is within a couple of days of his 30th anniversary of first visiting! Long live Gypsy, his cold cuts and his BBQs!

JxP

Is this the same Gypsy who had the German grill at a couple of locations near the Night Bazaar for awhile?

JxP

Is this the same Gypsy who had the German grill at a couple of locations near the Night Bazaar for awhile?

The Grill Station - yes.

JxP

Best value for money is Mad Dog's Super breakfast:

Super – Fruit Juice, Tea or Coffee, 2 Eggs, Bacon OR Sausage OR Ham, Homefries, Tomato, Mushrooms, Toast, Butter and Jam................................................................95 baht

I'm very reliably :D informed that the webmaster made a mistake and used an ancient menu on the web site, the correct modern day price (and still an absolute result) for that should be B100. I'm equally reliably informed that the menu on the site is being updated this week. :o

JxP

Back to my favourite again... The Half Moon bar. In answer to the earlier question, they open at 10am. A bit late for after the school run, but perfect for my weekend 'recovery' breakfasts. They also have a nice website with the menu and pics on it: halfmooncm dot com

The Queen Vic I'm not really sure, but I think it opens earlier as it has guest rooms upstairs and has to open to provide their breakfasts. This breakfast used to be a bit let down by poor sausages, but I'm told that they have changed them - maybe I'll check it out this weekend!

My preference is the Half Moon Bar on Moonmuang Soi 2 - the full monty for 140B. If my memory serves me right that's 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 eggs, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, chips, 2 toast and tea/coffee. they also do a slightly smaller version for 120B, but i like the big beast!!

Thanks. I couldn't place it at first, but I suddenly realized where it is.

I'll check it out for sure! :o

Just back from a feed at the Queen Vic and according to staff there is an imminent change of ownership in the pipeline but no plans to close QV. One high point is the Sunday carvery will continue which to me for the odd occasion when I get my backside out of the sack early enough is an excellent deal.

The Laughing Leprechan is gone. The Gatehouse Inn is closed again and I heard the same about the Queen Vic.

Where can I get a really good British breakfast when I am in the mood?

The Gatehouse Inn is only temporarily closed while redecorating and other minor changes are carried out. When we re-open we shall have a smoking lounge at the rear of the building, for those who can't kick the habit or have already broken New Year resolutions, some new lighting & colours. We shall continue to serve the best breakfast and the best coffee in town.

For those speculating on the situation about The Gatehouse Inn & Queen Victoria, come to The Gatehouse Inn and ask. None of the English language newspapers or web sites are prepared to print anything & there are only 2 people who know the facts and one of those suffers from convenient memory loss when it boils down to the nitty gritty.

We shall continue to serve the best breakfast and the best coffee in town.

I used to enjoy the British breakfast at the Hungry Horse before it closed down and I have heard good things about Queen Vic's but it is a long way for me to go. Is the breakfast at the Gatehouse pretty much the same? Any idea when you will be open again?