Thai Gun Laws

Choscura

I'm looking for information on what the actual gun laws in thailand are. I've heard any range of things, from "not enforceable" to "easily planted *corrupt* arrest excuse", and would like to know what is legally allowed and what's not. asking police officers has just gotten a few people angry and a lot more laughs, and I'm not willing to ask any more since it isn't taken seriously (wait, TIT).

thanks in advance.

I'm looking for information on what the actual gun laws in thailand are. I've heard any range of things, from "not enforceable" to "easily planted *corrupt* arrest excuse", and would like to know what is legally allowed and what's not. asking police officers has just gotten a few people angry and a lot more laughs, and I'm not willing to ask any more since it isn't taken seriously (wait, TIT).

thanks in advance.

This is an easy one, If your Farang you can't have one. Simple as that. But your girl can............ need I say more

I'm looking for real legal links or at least tips on where to start looking, not witty repartees. and no, you need say no more.

Littleboy, believe me when I say you can not, do you think I'm some kind of idiot, I have already been down the road you are asking about, I've been living here for the last 6 years, please don't try and teach your grand father to suck eggs.

I'm looking for real legal links or at least tips on where to start looking, not witty repartees. and no, you need say no more.

Littleboy, believe me when I say you can not, do you think I'm some kind of idiot, I have already been down the road you are asking about, I've been living here for the last 6 years, please don't try and teach your grand father to suck eggs.

Solent speaks the truth. Farangs are not allowed to own firearms.

Maybe I got your post wrong, maybe you don't want to own a firearm, but you just want to know? Well from what I know, there is no law, its simply, show me (coming from the head of the office(not going to tell you what office, find out for yourself) how much money you have! why do you think you need a gun? do you (meaning your wife/husband) have a criminal past? OK she/he doesn't so go and buy a gun, then come back and we will log the numbers, then the deed is done, simple really. And then one day you get robbed and all hel_l lets loose,. Question? do you need a gun? Answer..... probably not grandad.

This topic comes up quite regularly, try a forum search.

Usual answer is no, as a farang, you can't have a firearm.

The thread then degenerates into the 'why do you want a gun' arguement followed by significant Yank-bashing (as the usual suspects are Septics) and closure.

You, you've had the 'no', so I'll ask the 'why?', just out of interest of course.

BTW, if you come to the UK you can't have one either :o

This topic comes up quite regularly, try a forum search.

Usual answer is no, as a farang, you can't have a firearm.

The thread then degenerates into the 'why do you want a gun' arguement followed by significant Yank-bashing (as the usual suspects are Septics) and closure.

You, you've had the 'no', so I'll ask the 'why?', just out of interest of course.

BTW, if you come to the UK you can't have one either :o

lol @ Crossy, I just did that........... But the Original post does bring up a good piont (again). When I feel the need, I go to Vietnam, all day an a range costs me nothing......... AK's etc, and it is great fun, we should be able to do this in Thailand, I for one am fed up with paying top price to whack off a few 9's & 45's

Edit....... by nothing I mean it costs much less than Thailand, of course you understand that, just thought I should spell that out before the fireworks start coming my way. hahaha boom boom boom

Edited by solent01

I am farang. 30 years ago I visited and area where iF you had no gun you got robbed and maybe, in fact very likely you would be killed to prevent you identifying the robber. On my first night there the local police member of the family I was visiting asked me --farang, do you have a gun?

When I said no her gave me one and said use it iF you have to. Almost everyone you met there WAS armed.

Good manners were paramount!!!

These days the situation is different, but in the countryside there is always some young smack head visiting his family and seeing the farang as an easy target for robbery.

Yes I have a gun and would use it to protect my family!--Anyone who would not do the same is ,to my mind a whimp.

I am quite surprised at the number of people who own guns here. I know a couple of groups of adult males that I work with. It's somewhere between 30-40%. I've never actually asked, but it's come up in passing.

Anyone know the actual statistics in Thailand--my group may be an anomoly.

I am farang. 30 years ago I visited and area where iF you had no gun you got robbed and maybe, in fact very likely you would be killed to prevent you identifying the robber. On my first night there the local police member of the family I was visiting asked me --farang, do you have a gun?

When I said no her gave me one and said use it iF you have to. Almost everyone you met there WAS armed.

Good manners were paramount!!!

These days the situation is different, but in the countryside there is always some young smack head visiting his family and seeing the farang as an easy target for robbery.

Yes I have a gun and would use it to protect my family!--Anyone who would not do the same is ,to my mind a whimp.

Crossy, your right, we should stop this thread and point it towards the others of the same.............. its getting boring, same o, same o.

Why would I want to own a gun you ask?? :o

Well I have owned guns all my life. They are as natural as owning a razor.

I hunted on 3 continents. Shot competitively in skeet, military, 1000 meter, and IPSC type events.

I read through the link and did not see any bar to a non-Thai being issued a permit.

So why when I come to Thailand would I not want to bring my property? :D They are like old friends to me.

There is nobody I know of that can take better care of my family and myself than myself.

Why would I want to own a gun you ask?? :D

I hunted on 3 continents. Shot competitively in skeet, military, 1000 meter, and IPSC type events.

I read through the link and did not see any bar to a non-Thai being issued a permit.

So why when I come to Thailand would I not want to bring my property? :D They are like old friends to me.

There is nobody I know of that can take better care of my family and myself than myself.

Your right, I didn't see it either, but try and get a permit in your name, its impossible for farang to get it, don't get me wrong, I also want to take care of the family if/when the crack head/yaba tw*ts come a knocking on the door, but that’s why the wife has a firearm, or three :o

I don't doubt that you are an extremely competent gun owner, you have devoted most of your life to the care and safe handling of guns. Unfortunately where it goes wrong is when anyone is allowed to own one without anything resembling proper education.

I too grew up with guns and hunted and shot competitively. I haven't fired one in thirty years and wouldn't have one in the house even under the most stringent safety conditions. I'm terrified of them around children who can be extremely clever at getting their sticky little fingers on Dad's .38 and blowing another family member away.

Sure, and I've had this ad nauseum, what will I do when the bad guys come pouring in through the window and rob and kill me and rape my Mrs?

I don't know, I'll play it by ear but in the mean time the family children aren't killing each other playing cowboys and my Mrs isn't putting one in my O-ring when I come home drunk at 5am.

Responsible gun ownership is unfortunately almost an oxymoron.

I don't doubt that you are an extremely competent gun owner, you have devoted most of your life to the care and safe handling of guns. Unfortunately where it goes wrong is when anyone is allowed to own one without anything resembling proper education.

I too grew up with guns and hunted and shot competitively. I haven't fired one in thirty years and wouldn't have one in the house even under the most stringent safety conditions. I'm terrified of them around children who can be extremely clever at getting their sticky little fingers on Dad's .38 and blowing another family member away.

Sure, and I've had this ad nauseum, what will I do when the bad guys come pouring in through the window and rob and kill me and rape my Mrs?

I don't know, I'll play it by ear but in the mean time the family children aren't killing each other playing cowboys and my Mrs isn't putting one in my O-ring when I come home drunk at 5am.

That’s why steel cabinets are bolted to walls...........and if your woman is likely to put onr in you when you come home late then you have to ask two questions, 1, should I stay out late? 2, should she be my woman? Think about it........ firearms are about safety, not stupidity.

So this does kind of bring us back to the OP. We should be able to carry firearms, because at the end of the day, Sonthai does........., but when we travel out of our province the arms have to stay at home, oh fuc*, we are about to start a two year contract in Hat yai...........

Edited by solent01

Firearm controls in Australia are fairly strict. Very rare to see a gun any anybodies house in an Urban center.

I was absultely shocked when I moved to thai and found that every family member here has a shooting liscence & a personal fire arm. I have counted over twenty firearms in our close family. Every office and cah register we have has a firarm nearby.

Even though it illegal to keep a firearm in your vehicle or on your person (without a special permit), half the family members carry pistols in their cars.

Initially found this a bit disturbing, but you grow used to it. In six years here, only one weapon has been discharged for anything other than shooting practice. We had a teenage gang vandalising the petrol station, my father in law pulled out his shotgun, blew a few rounds into the air, the gang ran off.

Personally I would like to see less guns around. In the hands of the wrong person or children they scare the sh!t out of me.

Soundman.

That’s why steel cabinets are bolted to walls...........and if your woman is likely to put onr in you when you come home late then you have to ask two questions, 1, should I stay out late? 2, should she be my woman? Think about it........ firearms are about safety, not stupidity.

Gun safety is about people, not steel cabinets, and sneering at me personally won't change that. Just tell me what percentage of hand gun owners you consider keep their gun in the drawer beside their bed where "it's there when I need it"? After all it would be stupid to be running around unlocking gun safes when the wolf's already through the door.

As usual any discussion of the right to own firearms degenerates into personal abuse almost instantly.

Gun safety is about people, not steel cabinets, and sneering at me personally won't change that. Just tell me what percentage of hand gun owners you consider keep their gun in the drawer beside their bed where "it's there when I need it"? After all it would be stupid to be running around unlocking gun safes when the wolf's already through the door.

As usual any discussion of the right to own firearms degenerates into personal abuse almost instantly.

Oh <deleted> really, so think about this arse O, Richard Cranium, gun cabinets are about child safety, and theft, think about that before you start flaming people t~at.

Edit.... No this has not degenerated into an argument over who owns guns, rather its a statement about where such arms should be kept........ and you saying wolf through the door.... well I personally keep our bedroom locked at night, so if either myself or my good wife hears anything, I like to think we have time to react. Not just grab a gun and squeeze the trigger

Edited by solent01

thanks in advance.

This is an easy one, If your Farang you can't have one. Simple as that. But your girl can............ need I say more

THis is not correct - go to a registered gun club and become a member. You may then apply for a gun license and the permit to aquire. This permit will allow you to use the weapon at a registered club for the purposes of target shooting only. It will not allow you to carry the weapon in the street and certainly not a concealed handgun.

You must have a proper visa ie NON IMM and the police will require a crim record check etc. It is not easy to do and you may have to push it a bit (politely) of course and show you have a proper reason for the weapon. You may also be required to keep the weapon at the gun club which IMHO is a good idea.

Good luck and just do it properly because being a farung and caught with an illegal weapon is a very serious crime here.

No personal insults. Those are the rules. If in doubt, go to the upper left hand corner and click on "Forum Rules."

More personal insults will get this thread closed, and probably get the insulters a punishment. Sorry, folks, it's an emotional issue, but let's behave.

thanks in advance.

THis is not correct - go to a registered gun club and become a member. You may then apply for a gun license and the permit to aquire. This permit will allow you to use the weapon at a registered club for the purposes of target shooting only. It will not allow you to carry the weapon in the street and certainly not a concealed handgun.

You must have a proper visa ie NON IMM and the police will require a crim record check etc. It is not easy to do and you may have to push it a bit (politely) of course and show you have a proper reason for the weapon. You may also be required to keep the weapon at the gun club which IMHO is a good idea.

Good luck and just do it properly because being a farung and caught with an illegal weapon is a very serious crime here.

No offence meant, but that’s not your firearm, you've just kindly donated to a club, good for you, I thought we were talking about firearms in our possession?

No personal insults. Those are the rules. If in doubt, go to the upper left hand corner and click on "Forum Rules."

More personal insults will get this thread closed, and probably get the insulters a punishment. Sorry, folks, it's an emotional issue, but let's behave.

Whenever I read a thread like this disolve into personal abuse and heated exchanges I am grateful that these same people who want handguns etc can't get one.

Farangs can own a handgun if you have the proper reason (such involved in gemstone/jewlery business), proper visa and a letter from the local authorities. My English mate has a 9mm which he is allowed to keep at home and in his office. He has a small laminated license card he keeps in his wallet for proof. Highly expensive here, handguns. 80k for a Glock!

Whenever I read a thread like this disolve into personal abuse and heated exchanges I am grateful that these same people who want handguns etc can't get one.

But some of them do hmmmmm

A bit emotional are gun people I have found.

Farangs can own a handgun if you have the proper reason (such involved in gemstone/jewlery business), proper visa and a letter from the local authorities. My English mate has a 9mm which he is allowed to keep at home and in his office. He has a small laminated license card he keeps in his wallet for proof. Highly expensive here, handguns. 80k for a Glock!

OK so so your friend makes some money, good for him, but so do I hence the need for taking care of my family....

OK so so your friend makes some money, good for him, but so do I hence the need for taking care of my family....

besides the official fees for a permit you need an additional brown envelope containing coloured paper and of course some connections. on top of that several months of patience are mandatory.

But some of them do hmmmmm

A bit emotional are gun people I have found.

Gun ownership will always be an emotive subject. These are the different groups:

1) All guns are evil and by association so are all gun owners so ban them all

2) Its my god given right to own any form of weapon I choose so why can't I have a 50cal machine gun for home protection, varmit shooting etc

I have had my firearms licenses for hangun (semi automatic pistol and revolver), small and large bore rifle, and shotgun for over thirty five years starting out as a junior and going through the different levels.

I also spent over 15 years in the military and had actice service

I like firearms and have a very healthy respect for them but I PERSONALLY have no desire to keep my weapons at home. I am happy to keep them at a secured, insured, and controlled club. The concept of having a loaded handgun in the bedside drawer at home is something that I cannot understand.