Thai Gun Laws

Choscura

I'd like a gun for the simple reason that I enjoy shooting. I'd like to think that theres some place, somewhere in thailand, that I can go hunting or even just shoot at paper targets *with my own firearm for the actual price of the ammunition, not the jacked-up tourist price*. another reason is that I'm fascinated by them as pieces of machinery (the same way some guys like cars) and enjoy maintaining and repairing them, and the gun laws seem like the easiest indication of whether or not I'd be allowed to do that. I'm not really worried about personal protection that much.

we are at the end of page two, start of page three. Can we cue the Septic bashing yet?

Page 4 will be all about the Canada vs US vs Australia vs UK gun control debate.

Page 5 we'll have a rehash of page two arguments. Someone will then post the actual rules of what the gun laws are here...but of course everyone will ignore them.

Page 6. Purile slanging match. Someone will come late to the topic, and re-ask the question.

Page 7. Steveromanginino and bendix will get in on the act with some witty lines. Cue a couple of obligatory sheepshagger jokes.

Page 8. Topfield will get on as this is a topic, as many Septics will be selling their US dollars for baht to try and buy said deadly assault weapons..so he'll ensure that you get the better onshore rate at a 0.00004% discount than if they had changed them at Suk Soi 11 (a hint, don't get him started about nationwide though).

Page 9. I'll come along with some boring fact, which no-one will listen to, probably something about needing to be a permenant resident or Thai citizen to be eligible to own guns.

Page 10. If we are lucky, we'll make it to here.

Then, about 3 months hence, we'll have some newly arrived American (face it, it is always YOU GUYS) whio ask this question. And some smarty will link this previous conversation back to that new link.

no samran, lets stop this one now, its kind of my fault it went this far, I've been on the wind up all night, sorry. :o

no solly neccessary. I was just trying to lighten the mood and to highlight that this conversation is had every three months and goes down a similar path each time. Bit like groundhog day.

Anyhoo, only the OP can request the closing of the thread. Plus, I really can't wait till it gets to page 7. Steve is on a roll with his jokes at the moment. I need something to laugh at today.

A possible solution for those farang who feels the need for a bit of protection and likes to go hunting, is a chainsaw. I don't think you need a licence for one of these and in the right hands you could do a lot of damage. I am sure one of these babies kept beside your bed will keep you feeling secure and is sure to impress your family. Imagine the look of horror on a Thai robber's face when you come running at him with your chainsaw.

Hunting will become even more fun as you run around the Thai countryside chasing defenceless animals with your chainsaw. Not only will you get to kill things but it will also be good exercise for you.

Edited by garro

A possible solution for those farang who feels the need for a bit of protection and likes to go hunting, is a chainsaw. I don't think you need a licence for one of these and in the right hands you could do a lot of damage. I am sure one of these babies kept beside your bed will keep you feeling secure and is sure to impress your family. Imagine the look of horror on a Thai robber's face when you come running at him with your chainsaw.

Hunting will become even more fun as you run around the Thai countryside chasing defenceless animals with your chainsaw. Not only will you get to kill things but it will also be good exercise for you.

Texas here I come yingggggggggggggg yingggggggggggg

No personal insults. Those are the rules. If in doubt, go to the upper left hand corner and click on "Forum Rules."

More personal insults will get this thread closed, and probably get the insulters a punishment. Sorry, folks, it's an emotional issue, but let's behave.

Whenever I read a thread like this disolve into personal abuse and heated exchanges I am grateful that these same people who want handguns etc can't get one.

But some of them do hmmmmm

A bit emotional are gun people I have found.

Gun ownership will always be an emotive subject. These are the different groups:

1) All guns are evil and by association so are all gun owners so ban them all

2) Its my god given right to own any form of weapon I choose so why can't I have a 50cal machine gun for home protection, varmit shooting etc

I have had my firearms licenses for hangun (semi automatic pistol and revolver), small and large bore rifle, and shotgun for over thirty five years starting out as a junior and going through the different levels.

I also spent over 15 years in the military and had actice service

I like firearms and have a very healthy respect for them but I PERSONALLY have no desire to keep my weapons at home. I am happy to keep them at a secured, insured, and controlled club. The concept of having a loaded handgun in the bedside drawer at home is something that I cannot understand.

I know its a very emotive subject

I had air guns and small bore plus access to shotguns in my youth for shooting rabbits, rats etc (of course we were very naughty and shot non-game birds)

Being from the UK I see no need whatsoever in my country for handguns and there is no historical precedent for them or "Military" weapons unlike say in the USA.

I am for the all out ban on these guns in the UK and was even before my ex-boss lost his son at Dunblane. I have heard all the arguments about the rise in gun crime since then and criminal can get them but do not accept tem.

There have been no Dunblanes or Hungerfords since and at least the police know if you have a gun its a crime.

I must reiterate I speak only for my views on the UK.

I see nothing wrong with farmers having guns or shotguns for their work and for certain sportsment but military type autmatic weapons and hand guns there is no need in the UK and no precedent. IMVHO

Great idea. I dispatched my neighbour's maddeningly noisy b@stard dog in this manner, in his garden at 3am in the morning recently.

It was barking again, so I jumped naked over his fence c/w petrol chainsaw, and proceeded to carve the stinking mutt into little moist chunks. :D I was presently covered in it's blood, and masturbating with its still-steaming entrails, when my neighbour ran out, looking rather horrified. :o

Luckily, we both saw the funny side. But I bet he won't mess with me again in future. :D

Hmmm - I beleive you DO actually require a permit for a chainsaw in Thailand

This is according to my ex when I saw the plod checking something at her house.

Great idea. I dispatched my neighbour's maddeningly noisy b@stard dog in this manner, in his garden at 3am in the morning recently.

It was barking again, so I jumped naked over his fence c/w petrol chainsaw, and proceeded to carve the stinking mutt into little moist chunks. :D I was presently covered in it's blood, and masturbating with its still-steaming entrails, when my neighbour ran out, looking rather horrified. :D

Luckily, we both saw the funny side. But I bet he won't mess with me again in future. :D

I bet there is a new found sense of respect for the farang in your neighbourhood :o

Yep,you certainly do need a licence for a chainsaw.There was a thread a year or so ago,where one was confiscated by Customs.

Oh mannn, are you sure?

I thought the right to to bear chainsaws was protected under the new (soon to arrive) Thai constitution

Why is everything fun illegal?

Yep,you certainly do need a licence for a chainsaw.There was a thread a year or so ago,where one was confiscated by Customs.

Swallow one wrapped in a condom, or hide it up your rectum, and you need never be detained at Customs again. :o

I'd like a gun for the simple reason that I enjoy shooting. I'd like to think that theres some place, somewhere in thailand, that I can go hunting or even just shoot at paper targets *with my own firearm for the actual price of the ammunition, not the jacked-up tourist price*. another reason is that I'm fascinated by them as pieces of machinery (the same way some guys like cars) and enjoy maintaining and repairing them, and the gun laws seem like the easiest indication of whether or not I'd be allowed to do that. I'm not really worried about personal protection that much.

Choscura - in all seriousness, head to a REGISTERED gun club, a lot of them are run by ex or current Thai military and found near army bases - the Air Force seem to have golf courses near theirs - explains a lot really. Avoid places that have go karts, bungy jumping, or all terrain vehicle driving as additional attractions. They are for the tourist not the local and their prices match accordingly. At the club enquire about doing some trial shoots. The club will require you to have an instructor to check your competance and most probably will assume you are just another dumb tourist who wants to go bang bang. It is up to you to show them that you are a competent, safe, and reliable shooter. You will probably need to do several shoots on a regular basis and over this period of time you can decide if this club suits your needs. If for example you are a dedicated .22 target pistol shooter then joining a club where everyone else is into black powder bucket chuckers (now THAT is fun!) will not be a good match.

In my experience most club members are good to hang with, but be aware (not beware) that you will be under scrutiny and most definitely asked to join a friendly (with side bet) match shoot with 2 or 3 guys who will not mention that they are the club and interservice champions. They are just having some fun at your expense. If however you are a crack shot, avoid beating them by too much because their pride won't handle it. Win or lose gracefully, have fun, if you win offer to buy a round of drinks at the Golf Course next door, if you lose do the same thing. These guys are the ones who will sign the applications you need to get approved and having an Army Colonel on your side will help get the license. They will also help point you in the direction of where to get a good deal on a new or second hand weapon.

All this said, I will check at the club but I am 99.9% sure you can not legally bring in your own personal firearms because of customs laws. So if you have a collection of weapons in the study back home (I am presuming in the US) you will need to either store or sell them there.

The other thing about these clubs is that you can buy tailored ammunition at very good prices or standard reloads cheap.

As in my original post - treat this in a mature and calm manner, making sure you do all the right things and you will get what you want. Get angry or become a smart arse and they will close ranks and shut you down. Lot like living in Thailand really.

I lived in South Africa through 'the troubles' there. And afterwards, when it was just crime, especially armed hijackings that was/is the flavour of the day.

I owned a 9mm for many years. At the time I was in the computer industry, and on many an occasion had to go into some really dangerous areas. Never took my gun with. What's the point? I had a much better chance of survival without it. If someone attacked me, and I shot someone, I'd have been taken apart limb by limb by the mob, then as an encore I'd have a burning tyre put around my neck while being beaten and kicked by selfsame merry mob.

Unless you carry the thing 24/7/365, loaded and cocked, there is little point. My ex was held up with a gun to her head in a hijacking. She had a loaded gun in her handbag. Pointless. Would've just gotten her killed.

Unless you are attacked with some forewarning, by not too many people, in an environment where the other people are on your side, and you are not asleep or something, and the gun is loaded and available, and you are lucky, it's just an aggravating factor.

The only use I ever put that gun to was target practice, shooting moles, and a cow that had broken it's leg. And of course coming close to blowing me own brains out, which I am glad today I didn't do.

Guns are macho, an ego trip, more than anything else.

Why would I want to own a gun you ask?? :o

Well I have owned guns all my life. They are as natural as owning a razor.

I hunted on 3 continents. Shot competitively in skeet, military, 1000 meter, and IPSC type events.

I read through the link and did not see any bar to a non-Thai being issued a permit.

So why when I come to Thailand would I not want to bring my property? :DThey are like old friends to me.

There is nobody I know of that can take better care of my family and myself than myself.

I don't doubt that you are an extremely competent gun owner, you have devoted most of your life to the care and safe handling of guns. Unfortunately where it goes wrong is when anyone is allowed to own one without anything resembling proper education.

I too grew up with guns and hunted and shot competitively. I haven't fired one in thirty years and wouldn't have one in the house even under the most stringent safety conditions. I'm terrified of them around children who can be extremely clever at getting their sticky little fingers on Dad's .38 and blowing another family member away.

Sure, and I've had this ad nauseum, what will I do when the bad guys come pouring in through the window and rob and kill me and rape my Mrs?

I don't know, I'll play it by ear but in the mean time the family children aren't killing each other playing cowboys and my Mrs isn't putting one in my O-ring when I come home drunk at 5am.

Responsible gun ownership is unfortunately almost an oxymoron.

That's why steel cabinets are bolted to walls...........and if your woman is likely to put onr in you when you come home late then you have to ask two questions, 1, should I stay out late? 2, should she be my woman? Think about it........ firearms are about safety, not stupidity.

You just DON'T have to worry about safety if you don't have a firearm. How can you refer to a gun as an old friend??? Weired.

Edited by mpdkorat

Oh mannn, are you sure?

I thought the right to to bear chainsaws was protected under the new (soon to arrive) Thai constitution

Why is everything fun illegal?

You will have to prise the chainsaw from Charlton Hestons cold dead hands!

Only problem his that his hands are detached from his body by his own misuse of the chainsaw ;-)

Texas here I come yingggggggggggggg yingggggggggggg

There is a ban on chain saws in Thailand. I believe you need a permit to own one.

Edit: Mentioned already

Edited by mpdkorat

aaahrooogaah aaahroooogaah

Warning - this thread has currently six members and two of them PeaceBlondie and samran are moderators - I can see this getting shut down very soon

Pity though because it is actually an interesting thread compared to some of the dross filling up the bandwidth

Choscura - in all seriousness, head to a REGISTERED gun club, a lot of them are run by ex or current Thai military and found near army bases - the Air Force seem to have golf courses near theirs - explains a lot really. Avoid places that have go karts, bungy jumping, or all terrain vehicle driving as additional attractions. They are for the tourist not the local and their prices match accordingly. At the club enquire about doing some trial shoots. The club will require you to have an instructor to check your competance and most probably will assume you are just another dumb tourist who wants to go bang bang. It is up to you to show them that you are a competent, safe, and reliable shooter. You will probably need to do several shoots on a regular basis and over this period of time you can decide if this club suits your needs. If for example you are a dedicated .22 target pistol shooter then joining a club where everyone else is into black powder bucket chuckers (now THAT is fun!) will not be a good match.

In my experience most club members are good to hang with, but be aware (not beware) that you will be under scrutiny and most definitely asked to join a friendly (with side bet) match shoot with 2 or 3 guys who will not mention that they are the club and interservice champions. They are just having some fun at your expense. If however you are a crack shot, avoid beating them by too much because their pride won't handle it. Win or lose gracefully, have fun, if you win offer to buy a round of drinks at the Golf Course next door, if you lose do the same thing. These guys are the ones who will sign the applications you need to get approved and having an Army Colonel on your side will help get the license. They will also help point you in the direction of where to get a good deal on a new or second hand weapon.

All this said, I will check at the club but I am 99.9% sure you can not legally bring in your own personal firearms because of customs laws. So if you have a collection of weapons in the study back home (I am presuming in the US) you will need to either store or sell them there.

The other thing about these clubs is that you can buy tailored ammunition at very good prices or standard reloads cheap.

As in my original post - treat this in a mature and calm manner, making sure you do all the right things and you will get what you want. Get angry or become a smart arse and they will close ranks and shut you down. Lot like living in Thailand really.

If I really impress the Army Colonel do you think that he would make me a special agent and send me on secret missions? That would be cooool

look, as far as I can tell, gun violence is linked to population. where theres a lot of people, theres a lot of violence with guns. in rural areas, I don't see the harm of having a gun to go plink with occasionally, or to shoot a rabid dog or a deer for food or whatever. poor and defenseless both those animals may be, they still aren't people and one is a threat and the other is food.

but, this is also thailand, and the police defense usually comes after somebody has died and involves comments like "wow, he's dead." "yep, he's dead alright." *prod prod* "yeah, that guy is dead." without asking too many questions other than "how much do you think the killer can bribe us not to look for him?" and "do you think he'd kill US if we tried looking for him?". my friends younger brother was shot by a gang here, and not one person has even been called in as a suspect yet because the police are too afraid (samauri gang). thai rak thai indeed.

I'm going to say this about gun control and then let it drop: there are two sides to the argument, the first says "we should keep the criminals from having guns so they have no advantage" and the second says "we should give everybody guns, not just criminals, so that the criminals have no advantage." so far, the criminals have guns and virtually nobody else. not much has been done to round these up, because the police only know where the ones the criminals don't have are.

thats it, please don't make a flame war out of this, all I wanted to know was what the options are for a recreational activity, and I got some good information out of this. if the mods close this thread now, I'll consider it a successful post.

thanks everybody.

thats it, please don't make a flame war out of this, all I wanted to know was what the options are for a recreational activity, and I got some good information out of this. if the mods close this thread now, I'll consider it a successful post.

thanks everybody.

Thread closed at the OP's request.