Customs Tobbaco Act

There has been a few threads about people being fined for bringing to many cigarettes into Thailand, when they have been caught they felt the fines were excessive. Below in the Thailand Tobbaco Act and explained why the the fines are so BIG.

Please be informed about Tobacco Act of Thailand as follows :

1. A large number of tourists chose to knowingly enter Thailand through the

“Nothing to Declare” custom channel despite carrying tobacco or alcohol far

in excess of the amount allowed by Thai laws and regulations. As a result,

they could afterwards be subjected to inspections and fines by the Thai Excise

Department, which is responsible for domestic enforcement of Thailand’s

tobacco and alcohol regulations.

2. According to Articles 19, 28 and 49 of Thailand’s Tobacco Act of B.E. 2509

(1966), visitors to Thailand are permitted to bring in not more than 500 grams

or 1 carton of tobacco products (1 carton = 10 packs). Violators would be

subjected to fines ten times the amount of the regulatory tobacco stamp that

would normally be applied to the product, with a minimum fine of 100 Baht.

3. According to Ministerial Regulation No. 27 of the Ministry of Finance of

Thailand, the regulatory tobacco stamp on a tobacco pack would be valued at

79% of the price of the pack, which is currently set at 45 Baht per a pack of

4. In accordance with the details outlined above, visitors bringing into Thailand

more than 1 carton of tobacco would be subjected to fines of approximately,

3,555 Baht per carton for the excess tobacco.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/pdf/tobacco.pdf

MAYBE A MOD WOULD LIKE TO PIN THIS FOR ALL TO SEE

So, can you declare anything over 1 carton and pay 450 baht (45 baht per pack times 10 packs in a carton) duty? If so, what is the limit you could bring in, declare and pay the duty?

I have always been under the impression, possibly mistaken, that you could not bring in anything more than one carton even if declaring and paying duty.

• 10 months later...
So, can you declare anything over 1 carton and pay 450 baht (45 baht per pack times 10 packs in a carton) duty? If so, what is the limit you could bring in, declare and pay the duty?

I have always been under the impression, possibly mistaken, that you could not bring in anything more than one carton even if declaring and paying duty.

Good question. Anybody know the answer to this for sure?

Good question. Anybody know the answer to this for sure?

you can't unless you get prior approval from customs, before you travel. Probably via the embassy.

So it's a no brainer really, if you declare they get confiscated, if you don't you can actually use your sigarettes :o

Ridiculous really, I mean I bring in more then the allowed quantity for personal use and because my brand isn't available in Thailand. At least if I get caught, I might offer them a little tea money, so I can keep the merchanidse.

So it's a no brainer really, if you declare they get confiscated, if you don't you can actually use your sigarettes :o

Ridiculous really, I mean I bring in more then the allowed quantity for personal use and because my brand isn't available in Thailand. At least if I get caught, I might offer them a little tea money, so I can keep the merchanidse.

look through previous posts. they ain't taking bribes. And the official fine is going to set you back heaps.

How refreshing :o

According to a simple calculation, when bringing in one box (of 10 packs of cigarettes) the fine would be around 45 (one package) * 10 (number of packages) *10 (fine) * 0,79 (indicated duty) = 3555 baht.

Now that's not too bad, remember this is for my own use, I care more about the tobacco then about such a fine.

The Thai Tabacco Monopoly guards its monopoly very carefully - it is only they who have the right to do anything with Tabacco above small personal amounts defined by duty free limits. Given they are owned by the Minstry of Finance, and given that the MOF controls Customs and that Tabacco is a nice money earner for the government, they will enforce the rules quite strictly.

So you can be pretty sure they have the 'right' to take anything above specified duty free limits, as well as charging you for it as well at the rate of 50 quid a box.

What about wine? I think the restrictions on how much tobbaco you can bring in are well advertised as are spirits, but I can find no mention of how much, if any, wine I can bring through the airport, has anyone got any idea?

Duty Free people told me only 1 bottle of wine allowed along with 1 bottle of spirits.

with wine though, you can bring in as much as you want so long as you pay the correct amount of Tax on it. I know a few people who bought up cases of the stuff when they moved up. The proper duty was paid (but their work) and off they went with their ready made wine connection.

The wife an me came back from the Uk 9 January 2008 after xmas and new year there.

From the time we got off the plane we were stopped 3 times before we went throught the nothing to declare lane. All they were interested in was did we have cigarettes? No. What do you have in this bag and that bag and the next bag? We had wine and other things but no cigs.

They seemed rather frustrated that we had no cigs! :o

The wife an me came back from the Uk 9 January 2008 after xmas and new year there.

From the time we got off the plane we were stopped 3 times before we went throught the nothing to declare lane. All they were interested in was did we have cigarettes? No. What do you have in this bag and that bag and the next bag? We had wine and other things but no cigs.

Just on what others have reported here, I'm guessing that you flew via the middle east between Thailand and the UK? Would I be correct in guessing that?

It seems that Thai customs (inside the airport), and then Thai excise (outside in the public arrivals area) are targetting people who are flying into Thailand via Dubai and other places in the middle east.

The reason being, people are stocking up on favoured UK brands on the first stop over in Dubai - say 10 cartons - flying to Thailand (and not declaring them), leaving Thailand via Dubai where they stock up even more.

Upon arrival in the UK, they have 20 or 30 cartons of cigs which they then flog off in the UK and less than the going rate. 30 cartons at a tenner a pop has paid for your airfare out to Thailand!!!

We had one report in the past where three of four old fools got fined 1500 quid all up and then had their ciggs confiscated!! Given that the fine is approx 50 quid a carton, they would have had thirty cartons between them!! I guess they were hoping to pay for their trip out here. Silly buggers.

I can find no mention of how much, if any, wine I can bring through the airport, has anyone got any idea?

Wine is alcohol, ONE litre is your limit.

What about cigars...is the limit basically 1 box of 20/25 sticks?

It was always 250g, but according to the OP's document it's now 500g (if true, that's a pound of cigars).

Just on what others have reported here, I'm guessing that you flew via the middle east between Thailand and the UK? Would I be correct in guessing that?

It seems that Thai customs (inside the airport), and then Thai excise (outside in the public arrivals area) are targetting people who are flying into Thailand via Dubai and other places in the middle east.

The reason being, people are stocking up on favoured UK brands on the first stop over in Dubai - say 10 cartons - flying to Thailand (and not declaring them), leaving Thailand via Dubai where they stock up even more.

Upon arrival in the UK, they have 20 or 30 cartons of cigs which they then flog off in the UK and less than the going rate. 30 cartons at a tenner a pop has paid for your airfare out to Thailand!!!

We had one report in the past where three of four old fools got fined 1500 quid all up and then had their ciggs confiscated!! Given that the fine is approx 50 quid a carton, they would have had thirty cartons between them!! I guess they were hoping to pay for their trip out here. Silly buggers.

Yes flew via Dubai, and targets seemed to be anyone with duty free bags from there. Load of Russian/East Europeans drunk as skunks with a hand luggage trolley full of spirits and a case of Carlsberg lager they cracked open, cans scattered everwhere, and they proceeded to drink their way through the cans waiting to pass through immigration. No interest in them by anyone other than the trolley lady because they wouldn't let her take it back!!!!!!!!!

What about cigars...is the limit basically 1 box of 20/25 sticks?

It was always 250g, but according to the OP's document it's now 500g (if true, that's a pound of cigars).

No the most helpful information (from the customs folks...not jing's post) as I have never know any tobacconist to sell their cigars by weight :o

He does have a point though, it's IS daytime robbery, 10 times the duty. The only advantage is that the tax in Thailand isn't that high, imagine this happening back in Europe, in that case you would have very very expensive cigarettes.

At schiphol, if they "catch" you, you pay one time the duty, not more, no hassles no squeeze no robbery.

I guess I am just used to smoking crappy cigarettes. I smoke L&M's when I'm in LOS and frankly I am happy with the cigs and especially the price. With the tobacco taxes getting raised on a regular basis it runs $5 to $9 a pack in the US. 54 baht ain't a bad deal in my book. And this must be a recent thing 12 trips into LOS and I haven't been stopped once.

I’d be very grateful if anyone has any factual information regarding wine.

As I understand it I am limited to 1 liter of alcohol, be it spirits or wine but sometimes I’d like to bring more.

For example: If I chose to purchase 5 bottles (wine or spirit) with the intention of declaring 4 of the bottles of wine, would this be permitted, and if so, does anyone have any idea of the taxes imposed?

i.e. Champagne at approx B2000 per bottle (at duty free) is approx B3600 in the supermarkets – Spirits don’t appear to offer much saving and the savings on wine varies from brand to brand.

Edited by richard_smith237

I’d be very grateful if anyone has any factual information regarding wine.

As I understand it I am limited to 1 liter of alcohol, be it spirits or wine but sometimes I’d like to bring more.

For example: If I chose to purchase 5 bottles (wine or spirit) with the intention of declaring 4 of the bottles of wine, would this be permitted, and if so, does anyone have any idea of the taxes imposed?

i.e. Champagne at approx B2000 per bottle (at duty free) is approx B3600 in the supermarkets – Spirits don’t appear to offer much saving and the savings on wine varies from brand to brand.

I came through late last year with 6 bottles of red wine, I went to the RED declare officers and told them I have wine. Asked how many bottles and I told them 6 just in-case they wanted to look for more. The officer asked me where I flew in from and told him London, to which he replied same same money so no problem and let me walk through. BUT I WOULD NOT TAKE THIS AS THE NORM. For sure I was over the allowance, and I have a feeling they are stricter with Middle Eastern Airlines. If he had decided to tax me on the excess I would and do have no idea of what it would be. (by the way, the wine was in my case / not carry-on as LHW is about 30% more expensive than Tesco's just outside the airport.)

What would happen if I went through the GREEN lane and got stopped I have no idea, on my last entry I was asked to put my bags into the scanner, amazingly the officer said just one case enough ( I had 2 ) So I put my case on without a desktop PC in again, what would happen if they caught me with it NO IDEA.

I fly in and out of Thailand 10- 15 times per annum from LHR and in 7 years I have only ever been stopped and asked to scan my bags twice. on my return to LHR they must LOVE me and I get stopped 25% of the time and to date I have only ever had 3 carton of cigarettes taken of me as I don’t bother taking to much over the odds for personal use. (tip- in LHR make sure all cig are the same brand, if the officer there is OKish he will let it go, but a mixed batch they will confiscate ALL)

I never bring cigarettes with me; they are much cheaper in Thailand even branded names like 555, B&H etc etc and in-fairness L&M blue aren’t that bad if you smoke.

That’s all I can help you with, but my gut feeling is its down to the officer on the day, and if he/she drinks/likes red wine then it might be a different scenario!!!!! but if they ask where you come from dont say Dubai etc etc, look at the landing boards and pick a different flight, and DONT carry duty free carry bags from another country as for sure they know the names on the bags and where they come from.

CF

I would only be flying in from the UK a couple of times per year. The rest of the time I would be flying in from Asia perhaps a couple of times per month.

My wine consumption is relatively high; usually enjoying a bottle or two with dinner (for two) 3-4 bottles don’t last the week.

This means that each time I arrive I would like to purchase at least 3-4 bottles of wine at duty free before passing customs.

I wonder how the customs officials in the red lane would view this. Has anyone been honest enough to try this? It might be worth trying it with one extra bottle just to see what happens.

One thing I would like to comment on in direct reply to your post is that if I was flying from the Middle East I wouldn’t like to lie to customs while my airline baggage tags remain remained in place.

I have to admit to bringing back a few bottles of wine on my last trip to the UK. I purchased the wine at Sainsbury's a few days before and the bottles were in my cases, I was restricted by the weight more than anything, my luggage weighed in at 58kg I was flying Thai and sitting at the back, but had no problems.

I do admit to purchasing a couple of bottles of champagne at Heathrow at 1920 Baht for two bottles, plus an extra 250 air miles, I stuck them in my flight bag with the box of red wine I also brought. Was a bit nervous walking through customs with my two cases and flight bag, but followed a guy with a really large box, who did get stopped, trying to look confident, but was bricking it a little.

I vividly remember bringing in 10,000 B&H and more along with slabs of beer and not hiding a thing at good ol' Don Muang. I even has an official unload some 12k fags to xray some beer and then load them back up again ! I never thought anything about it. 3rd World airport with fake this and fake that, surely no-one gives a toss about fags ! they didn't then, they do now.

If you must smoke your brand, then pop in the red channel. Not that expensive.

I object to getting stopped more at Thiefrow in London. Once they asked for me by name and I asked how lucky they were to get it right and could I see the paperwork with my mug shot on it which they used to identify me. They wanted to know why I travelled so often and why to Thailand. I just jerked them about a bit the tossers. Non a real brit amongst them, all immigrants.